The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Tobia_s
The first spec point in the cloning topic mentions differences between reproductive and non-reproductive cloning. I can only figure out 1 difference so far (and a dodgy 2 more) :frown:

Anyone got any more differences? Would be really helpful :smile:

Thats actually a difficult one...

I've got a couple:
- reproductive cloning is the production of a complete new organism, whereas non-reproductive eis the production of cells, tissues or organs.
- reproductive cloning happens naturally - in identical twins, plants(runners, suckers..), fungi (budding) and bacteria(binary fission)

I thought of a few more, but they weren't consistent with animals and plants...
Reply 741

Surely transformed bacteria will grow on both ampicillin and tetracycline. It's the transgenic bacteria that grow on ampicillin, but not tetracycline because they have the human insulin gene. I might be wrong!
Reply 743
Original post by Wor Carroll
Surely transformed bacteria will grow on both ampicillin and tetracycline. It's the transgenic bacteria that grow on ampicillin, but not tetracycline because they have the human insulin gene. I might be wrong!

That's a good point! I was just refering to the book it says the bacteria that have taken up the recomibinant plasmid are called transformed bacteria. But you're right, the bacteria would have to be transgenic and have the new DNA to be able to grow on ampilcillin but not tetracycline. I'll change it, thanks!
Reply 744
Do you guys think that the grade boundaries will be similar this time as the previous two?

In june 2010 it was 65 for an A and 58/59 for a B and in Jan 2011 it was 60 for an A and like 54 or something for a B! pretty low considering it is out of 100!!
Original post by Mcfilly
Do you guys think that the grade boundaries will be similar this time as the previous two?

In june 2010 it was 65 for an A and 58/59 for a B and in Jan 2011 it was 60 for an A and like 54 or something for a B! pretty low considering it is out of 100!!

Yeah, but considering the papers were like :zomg: on the difficulty scale... :tongue:
Original post by Mcfilly

I have a feeling it might be above 65 :frown: but then again who knows how people find it!
Original post by sportycricketer
I have a feeling it might be above 65 :frown: but then again who knows how people find it!

It probably will be between 60 - 65 if it is a hard paper...and 65-70 if it is an easier paper...though one thing is clear...Jan11 was a pretty tough paper...read the examiners report...it contains alot of detail on how many candidates made careless errors and missed out entire questions etc...
Reply 748

do we REALLY need to know what type of salts encourage uptake of plasmids? surely just saying 'heatshocked' is good enough haha.
and also, i wouldn't have used 'anneal' to refer to DNA ligase joining the sugar-phosphate back up, annealing is more for probes forming Hydrogen bonds with complementary base strands in pcr
Original post by wilsea05
do we REALLY need to know what type of salts encourage uptake of plasmids? surely just saying 'heatshocked' is good enough haha.
and also, i wouldn't have used 'anneal' to refer to DNA ligase joining the sugar-phosphate back up, annealing is more for probes forming Hydrogen bonds with complementary base strands in pcr

That's right, the process of the DNA ligase sealing the backbone is called ligation
Reply 750
Original post by LisaWilliams
sorry..

chill out i was just saying! haha i do really appreciate the quizes you're making btw, it was just something i wouldn't have said myself :smile:
Reply 751
Original post by wilsea05
chill out i was just saying! haha i do really appreciate the quizes you're making btw, it was just something i wouldn't have said myself :smile:

haha that's okay, i fixed it :smile:
Reply 752
Original post by sportycricketer

Knowing our luck, it'll be higher :frown:

Is it never 77 above?
Original post by Rosi M
Knowing our luck, it'll be higher :frown:

Is it never 77 above?

I highly doubt it to be in the 70s tbh considering it is an A2 module and Biology MS for OCR are getting more and more specific. Don't know if you have done the June 2010 Paper and if you remember the control of population or hares or something, you would get marks for like interspecific/intraspecific competition and then if you said predation or disease you wont get the mark. You would only get the mark for predation or disease if you specifically said DUE TO LARGE POPULATIONS. It's crazy, right? :s-smilie:
Reply 754
Original post by intellectual1
It probably will be between 60 - 65 if it is a hard paper...and 65-70 if it is an easier paper...though one thing is clear...Jan11 was a pretty tough paper...read the examiners report...it contains alot of detail on how many candidates made careless errors and missed out entire questions etc...

Yeh, I have done both papers as practice and found jan 11 extremely difficult compared to the june 10 one.. although that one was also pretty hard.
Reply 755
anyone retaking f214?
is there a thread for it? im so screwed for f214
Anyone got the jan 2011 paper they can link me? thanks
I think the most important thing in F215 is exam technique. you could learn the syllabus cover to cover by rote and still get (a lot) less than 50%.

What do you think we should consider when looking at every question? OCR markschemes are so damn specific it's unreal. :angry:
omg i feel like i know nothing :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sillysal
anyone retaking f214?
is there a thread for it? im so screwed for f214

yeah I am but I've been mainly focussing on this tbh! Didn't want to compensate this for that.. not sure about a thread though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending