The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Could go a hell of a lot further but I don't fancy giving too much away :nah:

Anyway, how are everyone's exams going so far?
(edited 12 years ago)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Correctomundo - both in their first year :colone:

:colonhash: how does this process work - anyone need an apprentice :teeth:
Original post by jermaindefoe
:colonhash: how does this process work - anyone need an apprentice :teeth:

I was made a purple mod at the start of my A2 year, starting them young and all that :colone:
Original post by jermaindefoe
if anyone has any questions give me a shout, been a local lad for 25+ years and currently a student. quote me though as its likley i wont be checking :smile:

Hey I noticed you saying you were a local. Im coming over from California and am torn between Kent and Leeds (I studied up North for a year so the close proximity to my friends is the reason for Leeds). I was wondering if you could give me some insight to Kent. I keep hearing from people that its a bit of a pretentious campus and that Canterbury gets quite obnoxious with tourists. Thanks!
Original post by BrittC007
Hey I noticed you saying you were a local. Im coming over from California and am torn between Kent and Leeds (I studied up North for a year so the close proximity to my friends is the reason for Leeds). I was wondering if you could give me some insight to Kent. I keep hearing from people that its a bit of a pretentious campus and that Canterbury gets quite obnoxious with tourists. Thanks!

its a really nice campus, scenery, peace and quiet and only a short walk from the smallish city center though it has everything you need.
Plenty to do down here, and its really close to london, ~45mins on the train now with the new fast service

Canterbury certainly isnt known for being pretentious in regards to tourists. Typically there are more people with massive pink back packs than there are without :biggrin: What i am trying to say is its a welcoming place and their are loads of tourists :yes:
(edited 12 years ago)
i want to study forensic chemistry, but have been advised not to as apparently it is difficult to pursue a career after graduation. can anyone give me any advice?
Reply 1046
Really hoping I get into Kent now, can't imagine going anywhere else!
Reply 1047
Original post by Harpoon
Really hoping I get into Kent now, can't imagine going anywhere else!

Me too! I've become so accustomed to imagining myself in Canterbury or imagining myself walking through campus that I really will be devastated if I end up going somewhere else.. Fingers crossed for everyone wanting to go :rolleyes:
Original post by cwallace96645
i want to study forensic chemistry, but have been advised not to as apparently it is difficult to pursue a career after graduation. can anyone give me any advice?

I'm told that the forensic course at Kent are rated the best in the country - get a good degree from here and you'll be on course to pursue a good career. Someone who'll know more is Loz17 as she studies Forensic Chemist, I'll quote her for you :smile:

Loz17
:wavey:
(edited 12 years ago)
Remind me never to type a massive load out on multiquote again :sigh:

Who told you that? That's rubbish! Especially for Forensic Chemistry

As CS saud, Kent is the best in the country for it's forensics courses. Forensic Science is accredited and Forensic Chemistry is double accredited (By both Forensic Science Service and the RSC). The reason for this is not only do they teach you in detail the theory and skills needed for Forensics, they also chuck a **** load of Chemistry at you too: Organic, Physical, Inorganic and biochem; pretty much everything! This in it's own right makes the degree difficult. You have to work very hard to do well.

If you're concerned about the career prospects, I suggest you go onto the year in industry. If you want more info on it and how to make sure you are the best candidate possible, ask me or look at the Kent careers website (which is amazing!) If you're not sure, in your 1st year you'll have a meeting with the careers advisor whi will explain everything to you and he's available on campus at certain times to review your CV. He is brilliant! Also there's loads of training sessions about writing CV's and interviews as well as careers fayres throughout the year. You'll get emails about them.

Back to Forensic Chemistry, basically you're learning so much in 2 disciplines, meaning your career prospects are actually massive at the end of it. Not even forensic scientists need to go into Crime scene investigation; they could even handle a job in analytical chemistry with the amount of chemistry they do. Just shows how good the course is.

Basically don't worry about it, especially if you get a place at Kent. Also there are so few Forensic Chemists each year. There are 5 who have just finished Stage 2, and there's a max of 20 who have just finished Stage 1. I'll let you know in september but it means if the few different modules that the chemists have from the scientists, so long as no one else on different courses are taking the module, you'll have very few of you to one lecturer so you can pay more attention to areas where you struggle, or ask for more help/get more feedback.

I'll let you know when I start stage 2 in september (assuming I've passed my exams :s-smilie:) Btw for the record I am a forensic chemist, not scientist so if you ever need any help I'm happy too :smile:
Reply 1050
Okay so I'm hopefully coming to do English and American Literature & English Language and Linguistics (joint honours) FUN. Haha. Anyways, my offer was AB and 100 points - so ABB. I feel there is a chance I may only get BBB :/ Does anyone know how lenient Kent is in this department? Would I still have a chance if I slipped a grade.

Thanks
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
Remind me never to type a massive load out on multiquote again :sigh:

Who told you that? That's rubbish! Especially for Forensic Chemistry

As CS saud, Kent is the best in the country for it's forensics courses. Forensic Science is accredited and Forensic Chemistry is double accredited (By both Forensic Science Service and the RSC). The reason for this is not only do they teach you in detail the theory and skills needed for Forensics, they also chuck a **** load of Chemistry at you too: Organic, Physical, Inorganic and biochem; pretty much everything! This in it's own right makes the degree difficult. You have to work very hard to do well.

If you're concerned about the career prospects, I suggest you go onto the year in industry. If you want more info on it and how to make sure you are the best candidate possible, ask me or look at the Kent careers website (which is amazing!) If you're not sure, in your 1st year you'll have a meeting with the careers advisor whi will explain everything to you and he's available on campus at certain times to review your CV. He is brilliant! Also there's loads of training sessions about writing CV's and interviews as well as careers fayres throughout the year. You'll get emails about them.

Back to Forensic Chemistry, basically you're learning so much in 2 disciplines, meaning your career prospects are actually massive at the end of it. Not even forensic scientists need to go into Crime scene investigation; they could even handle a job in analytical chemistry with the amount of chemistry they do. Just shows how good the course is.

Basically don't worry about it, especially if you get a place at Kent. Also there are so few Forensic Chemists each year. There are 5 who have just finished Stage 2, and there's a max of 20 who have just finished Stage 1. I'll let you know in september but it means if the few different modules that the chemists have from the scientists, so long as no one else on different courses are taking the module, you'll have very few of you to one lecturer so you can pay more attention to areas where you struggle, or ask for more help/get more feedback.

I'll let you know when I start stage 2 in september (assuming I've passed my exams :s-smilie:) Btw for the record I am a forensic chemist, not scientist so if you ever need any help I'm happy too :smile:

thanks so much for the advice! i will so be taking this on board. can i ask, what results did you get in your A Levels and also, what other universities did you apply to? .. Is it difficult to get in to Kent, as I really want to come here, or to UCLAN - Preston, but at the moment in school they are emphasising how difficult it is to get a place at university. Did you do much work experience to get on to the course? .. and if so, what kind of work experience did you do? .. Thank You so much for your time! .. All this university stuff is very mind boggling for me at the minute! X
thanks so much for the advice! i will so be taking this on board. can i ask, what results did you get in your A Levels and also, what other universities did you apply to? .. Is it difficult to get in to Kent, as I really want to come here, or to UCLAN - Preston, but at the moment in school they are emphasising how difficult it is to get a place at university. Did you do much work experience to get on to the course? .. and if so, what kind of work experience did you do? .. Thank You so much for your time! .. All this university stuff is very mind boggling for me at the minute! X

You're not alone, it's not easy for anyone.

Well I got into Kent through clearing. Was as easy as applying and getting a phone call 5 mins later saying I have a place. I got BBDb for my A levels which exceeded the offer. I tried applying for pharmacy but missed it by 1 UMS but oh well. I thought it was really easy to get into Kent tbh. The offer's gone up now I know but it was 280 points with BC in Chemistry and another science (now 300 with BB I think) but some friends of mine got onto the Forensic Chemistry course with CCC. Basically as there's so few people who apply for the course there's plenty of places.

Could ask your local police station if there's any forensic labs nearby and apply for work experience there if you like. or do some analytical chemistry somewhere. Means you can write that you have applied for work experience on your personal statement. And if you can get relevent work experience, it means that you'll have that extra bit for a placement CV for a placement in industry.

It is difficult these days to get a place at uni as everyone's applying before the fees rise. I imagine it will drop soon though. You just need a solid Personal Statement which a large range of things you do (the TSR PS service is really good - I suggest you make use of it!) and work hard in your studies.
Loz17
:colone:

Are you a welcome week helper in September? :holmes: For Eliot? :awesome:
Are you a welcome week helper in September? :holmes: For Eliot? :awesome:

Yea, though Steph still has me down for Rutherford. S'alright, my housemate is a team leader for Eliot so I'll get him to change me if needs be :p:
Original post by Loz17
Yea, though Steph still has me down for Rutherford. S'alright, my housemate is a team leader for Eliot so I'll get him to change me if needs be :p:

Yay :h: Hmm, maybe give her an email, get her to change you? Going to try for a Team Leader next year? :holmes:
Yay :h: Hmm, maybe give her an email, get her to change you? Going to try for a Team Leader next year? :holmes:

Yea, maybe for the college I actually know my way around this time :p:
I have already but in subsequent emails she still mentioned Rutherford. I need to go and do some society stuff when I get back anyway so if she's forgotten I'll just tell her then. She's in the same building.

And that's if I'm there the year after :holmes:
Original post by Loz17
Yea, maybe for the college I actually know my way around this time :p:
I have already but in subsequent emails she still mentioned Rutherford. I need to go and do some society stuff when I get back anyway so if she's forgotten I'll just tell her then. She's in the same building.

And that's if I'm there the year after :holmes:

Yeah haha, I love how I can get around Eliot easily but Rutherford is still a maze :p:

Ah right ok, fair enough :smile:

Ah yes, of course :wink:
Yeah haha, I love how I can get around Eliot easily but Rutherford is still a maze :p:

Ah right ok, fair enough :smile:

Ah yes, of course :wink:

Contrary to popular belief it's not actually an exact mirror image of Rutherford. And living there for 2 terms might have something to do with it too :p:
Original post by Loz17
Contrary to popular belief it's not actually an exact mirror image of Rutherford. And living there for 2 terms might have something to do with it too :p:

I think it's something to do with the location of Rutherford Bar, which screws up that mirror image-ness :p: And yeah, maybe :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending