The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4(6BIO4) 13/06/11 - OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
hi, can some one link me to the specimen?
What sort of 'synoptic' topics or material are you guys looking at for this unit? If any at all? At the moment i've looked at everything on the spec but nothing else, as in specifics from AS. Any ideas or recommendations for the synoptic topics they might throw in? :colondollar:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by blush.ox
What sort of 'synoptic' topics or material are you guys looking at for this unit? If any at all? At the moment i've looked at everything on the spec but nothing else, as in specifics from AS. Any ideas or recommendations for the synoptic topics they might throw in? :colondollar:.

Anything is fair game.
Original post by Iron&Wine
Anything is fair game.

:grumble:
Original post by blush.ox
:grumble:

They can ask you to describe the structure of cellulose microfibrils, xylem vessels, describe how a mutation leads to cystic fibrosis, how atheromas form, reliability of studies, drug trials... pretty much anything. They probably won't require much detail and specific answers though (but you never know!).
Reply 145
Original post by touran22
hi, can some one link me to the specimen?

Did you mean specification?
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/biology/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 146
hey guys can predict what kind of question we will get this time if we go through the papers
Reply 147
Really good resourses on this scribd page.
thought of sharing it with you all.

http://www.scribd.com/Raaga92

All the best for your exams!!!

including the edxcel physcics A2 text book
Reply 148
good stuff thanks (though dont know why the font has to be so big?)
When electrons get excited by light in PSII, they leave the chlorophyll but where do they go?

Some places say they are used to form reduced NADP but other places say they go to PSI.
And then electrons excited in PSI go and reduce NADP.
Reply 150
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
Macrophages engulf the pathogens and then display the foreign (or non-self) antigens on their surface. When any cell in the human body displays foreign antigens in this way it is known as an antigen-presenting cell (APC).

Macrophages are part of the non-specific and specific immune response. They are non-specific in that when they come across any foreign antigen pathogen they try and engulf and digest them off. They don't know what type of organism they are digesting (i.e. they can't say ooo this is Virus 'X', bad!! - kill it!). They say.. hey.. I don't know if you are Virus X or Y but I do know you're not meant to be part of the body let me kill you.

Then once they present the antigens, this activates the specific immune response (T-cells and B-cells etc. etc.), which have complementary receptors that are specific to that antigen and bind to the antigens via these receptors.

I've put my notes on the immune system response in the spoiler

Spoiler

NOTE: Phagocyte ^ is a general term for any WBC which engulfs and digests stuff. A macrophage is a type of phagocyte.

Antibodies kill a pathogen in many ways:

1) reduce the pathogens' ability to infect cells (don't ask me how coz book doesn't say so and I doubt we need to know:tongue:)

2) bind to the foreign antigens to make an antigen-antibody complex - which is readily digested by macrophages

3) antigen-antibody complex causes pathogens to clump together preventing them spreading to other parts of the body (don't ask me how again :tongue:)

Thank you so much InIt..... : )

One question:
So, does this mean that in the NON-SPECIFIC / INNATE Immune response, B cells produce antibodies which bind to antigens as labels, for enhanced binding to receptors on macrophages? In that case, are the receptors on macrophages specific?

In the Edexcel Unit 4 Biology June 2010 paper, Q4, it states that antibodies and B-cells are involved in the NON-SPECIFIC response. I thought antibodies and B-cells are only part of the SPECIFIC immune response.

Could you please shed some light on this matter? THANK YOU SO MUCH! : )
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 151
When electrons get excited by light in PSII, they leave the chlorophyll but where do they go?

Some places say they are used to form reduced NADP but other places say they go to PSI.
And then electrons excited in PSI go and reduce NADP.

The electron goes into PS1 TO replace the ones that keep leaving to make reduced NADP
Reply 152
Please any1 have the past paper and mark schem for the JAN 2011? AND ALSO MARK SCHEME FOR JUNE10 AND JAN10
what core practicals are we tested on? apparently we don't need to know them all
Original post by sarahcsm
Thank you so much InIt..... : )

One question:
So, does this mean that in the NON-SPECIFIC / INNATE Immune response, B cells produce antibodies which bind to antigens as labels, for enhanced binding to receptors on macrophages? In that case, are the receptors on macrophages specific?

In the Edexcel Unit 4 Biology June 2010 paper, Q4, it states that antibodies and B-cells are involved in the NON-SPECIFIC response. I thought antibodies and B-cells are only part of the SPECIFIC immune response.

Could you please shed some light on this matter? THANK YOU SO MUCH! : )

I think we need to realise that immune system response is probably WAY more complex than what we are taught.

I did that ques yesterday and it probably meant non-specific as macrophages were involved. The B-cells and antibodies are part of the specific AND non-specific response as each B-cell and antibody bind only to specific (complementary) antigens.
Non-specific because the antigen-antibody complex leads to the pathogen/antigen more readily engulfed by Macrophages, and macrophages just engulf anything that is non-self, without recognising what it is they are engulfing.

Original post by darkiee
The electron goes into PS1 TO replace the ones that keep leaving to make reduced NADP

That's what I thought, but some sources such as Khan academy and the specimen paper (Q1b i), state that the electrons lost from PSII go and reduce NADP.
Reply 155

That's what I thought, but some sources such as Khan academy and the specimen paper (Q1b i), state that the electrons lost from PSII go and reduce NADP.

wELL i THINK THEY ARE PREPARED TO FAIL, if they keep getting mixed up, it states clearly on the diagram and in words that the electron that leave ps2 is picked up by the electron transport chain and makes ATP in the process and the electron goes into PS1. I think they must have gotten it wrong somewherre, you are right dont let some sources make you fail.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by darkiee
Please any1 have the past paper and mark schem for the JAN 2011? AND ALSO MARK SCHEME FOR JUNE10 AND JAN10

Attached every paper for Unit 4. Sorry don't have a PDF version of June 10 MS but you can dload/view it from the link below. :smile:

June 10 MS: http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124422/Biology-Jun-2010-Mark-Scheme-Unit-4

Original post by darkiee
wELL i THINK THEY ARE PREPARED TO FAIL, if they keep getting mixed up, it states clearly on the diagram and in words thats the electron that leave ps2 is picked ur by the electron transport chain and makes ATP in the process and they electron goes into PS1. I think the must have gotten it wrong somewherre, you are right dont let some sources make you fail.

Ok thanks. I'm just going to stick with my notes.

e- from PSII --> PSI
e- from PSI --> NADP + (H+) --> NADPH
e- from photolysis --> PSII
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by inittowinitgetit?
attached every paper for unit 4. Sorry don't have a pdf version of june 10 ms but you can dload/view it from the link below. :smile:

june 10 ms: http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124422/biology-jun-2010-mark-scheme-unit-4

ok thanks. I'm just going to stick with my notes.

E- from psii --> psi
e- from psi --> nadp + (h+) --> nadph
e- from photolysis --> psii

thanks man much appreciated
Original post by darkiee
thanks man much appreciated

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 159
Is it me, or was the Januray 2011 paper a bitch? I think it was the hardest so far? Am i right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending