The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Original post by victoria13
anyone know where you can buy surgical spirit from??...my hands are wrecked...

www.man-up.com

:wink: hehe, but in all seriousness just go buy some Germolene or another antiseptic cream from Boots/supermarkets which will be fine. Unfortunately it's something you'll have to get used to with rowing....just wait until you get shampoo in it when you're in the shower, that's a killer!
Original post by dobbs
Well they should do - it's a requirement of British Rowing that clubs carry these out. All the Durham colleges do them, Tyne RC does them, Northumbria Uni BC does them at the very least...

Usually Ive found they just ask can you swim 50m? I know a guy who cant swim at all that rows, and ive seen him capsize a single a few times on the tideway....
Reply 1022
Original post by partoftheweekend
Usually Ive found they just ask can you swim 50m? I know a guy who cant swim at all that rows, and ive seen him capsize a single a few times on the tideway....

Yeah they will ask you but all clubs will generally run swim tests now and then if you can't make it then that's sort of fine, just depends on how strict a club's water safety officer is.

At Tyne we would run 2 or 3 a year, one would coincide with the summer Learn to Row course and we'd expect everyone on that to go along, but then also one a bit later in the year for anyone who couldn't make that one and other new members, such as juniors who joined in September. Then sometimes another one in sort of March time if required.

Thing is, on the Tyne it's a lot more dangerous than some rivers (obviously not than the Thames, but quite comparable in terms of tidal activity), and so we made people swim 100m (50m on front, 50m on back) then also be able to swim approx 5m underwater, and tread water for 1 minute, then also do capsize drills in the pool. Whereas at places like Durham if you capsize you can stand up nearly anywhere you are along the entire rowable section of river!
Reply 1023
Anyone at marlow regatta on the 18th?
Reply 1024
New Stampfli!!!
Original post by brmj93

Probably :smile:
Reply 1026
cool, what you racing? :smile:
Original post by brmj93
cool, what you racing? :smile:

4+ not sure what status though yet. How about you?

How did the guy get one when he fell/capsized into the river when he couldn't swim? Genuinely asking, as I'm quite a week swimmer and always panic on the prospect of possibly capsizing :smile:
Reply 1029
Original post by brmj93

Yes i'll be there!!

The last chance to try to get through to Henley without the dreaded qualifiers :smile:
Original post by manchild007
How did the guy get one when he fell/capsized into the river when he couldn't swim? Genuinely asking, as I'm quite a week swimmer and always panic on the prospect of possibly capsizing :smile:

Either scrambled onto whatever he had crashed into or clung onto the boat for dear life. Keeping calm is probably more important than being a good swimmer. Lots of people completely lose it when the water is very cold. I think a good way of preparing is just by putting your shower on as cold as possible and then standing under it and trying to control your breathing.
Reply 1031
4+ not sure what status though yet. How about you?

J18 1x :smile: decided not to do too much so I can revise a lot, have an exam on the monday after lol
Reply 1032
Original post by manchild007

Also it is possible to get back into your boat if youve fallen in :smile: just takes a bit of practice, i should know... lol
Reply 1033
So the HRR entries are out. Anybody else on here rowing there or potentially going to qualifiers?
Original post by Futurism
So the HRR entries are out. Anybody else on here rowing there or potentially going to qualifiers?

Yeah doing student event. Hopefully done enough to pre-qualify....hopefully. How about yourself.
Reply 1035
We are in the PE but it looks like we will need to qualify on friday :frown:

Good luck to you anyway :smile:

Edit: Just looked on the HRR website and we don't need to qualify! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Futurism
We are in the PE but it looks like we will need to qualify on friday :frown:

Good luck to you anyway :smile:

Edit: Just looked on the HRR website and we don't need to qualify! :biggrin:

same here :biggrin:
Reply 1037
Thread is pretty dead. Took some doing finding it.

And even though I haven't rowed for a good year or so, I thought this was a good video

Reply 1038
Quite a few quotes from the "Spracklen Philosophy". Watch that before every big erg these days.
The thread has died down a lot recently! Anyone going to Wycliffe Head this Saturday?

Quick Reply

Latest