The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
I think there wont be as much module 4 (brain, muscles etc ) in this exam. As there was a whole question on it carrying 24 marks. What do you guys think?
Going to do some revision for this soon. Animal responses I guess :smile:
Reply 762
Hey someone please explain to me the differences between DNA probe and primer ?
Also what is Interrupted Polymerase Chain Reaction ? and what are those fluorescence do ? I am so confused right now :frown:
does anyone have the markscheme for the jan11 paper?
Reply 764
Original post by bob dylan
does anyone have the markscheme for the jan11 paper?

Jan11_F215_MS.pdf
Here you go mate :smile:
Original post by ManPowa
Jan11_F215_MS.pdf
Here you go mate :smile:

Reply 766
Original post by jakehartley123
I think the most important thing in F215 is exam technique. you could learn the syllabus cover to cover by rote and still get (a lot) less than 50%.

What do you think we should consider when looking at every question? OCR markschemes are so damn specific it's unreal. :angry:

Yeh I know - I have learnt the whole spec :frown: and there are a couple of things that I am not 100% on but when you have learnt the whole spec you'd think like "right i am ready for this exam" and then I do the practice papers and I am no where near where I should be for the grade I need :frown: It sucks!! So hard :frown: I have no idea what else I can do :frown:

Any suggestions?!!?
what is the purpose of the ganglion?? i dont get it?
Original post by Mcfilly
Yeh I know - I have learnt the whole spec :frown: and there are a couple of things that I am not 100% on but when you have learnt the whole spec you'd think like "right i am ready for this exam" and then I do the practice papers and I am no where near where I should be for the grade I need :frown: It sucks!! So hard :frown: I have no idea what else I can do :frown:

Any suggestions?!!?

It's because we're doing old spec questions, there are only two papers plus the specimen. Also the old questions have a slightly different style and the marks schemes are really inconsistent, thats why we are "nowhere near our grades". Thats what I think anyway and you cant really do timed assessments on the old spec cos you have to pick and choose questions :/ so its quite annoying as there is no practice! :frown:
Original post by Mcfilly

Any suggestions?!!?

I think what we should be doing when any question that isn't your standard 'What is...' 'How does...' etc. comes up is really thinking what the question is asking.

I mean, look at this little gem from June '10;
'Suggest 2 charateristics that researchers should look for when choosing an organism for research into how genes control development.' [2]

Now I don't know about you lot, but when I see this I'm thinking 'Similar to humans so research is relevant', or something that actually has something to do with genetic control, then I look at the mark scheme and they're giving out marks for 'Cheap', 'Small', 'Not rare'.

Strange exam indeed.
For Golden Rice, do we need to know the method mentioned in the OCR Hienemann book or the PhillipAllan updates?? They are completely different!
Original post by sportycricketer
For Golden Rice, do we need to know the method mentioned in the OCR Hienemann book or the PhillipAllan updates?? They are completely different!

PhillipAllan updates?
Original post by sillysal
anyone retaking f214?
is there a thread for it? im so screwed for f214

I am, I haven't even started revising for it yet :|
What did you get in january?
I wish it was before f215, would make so much more sense :tongue:
Original post by sportycricketer

I've got:
2 genes are inserted into the rice genome so endosperm cells can synthesise beta carotene. The genes code for Phytoene Synthetase (from daffodils) and Crt 1 enzyme (from bacteria).
With these 2 genes inserted, rice can synthesise Beta carotene through the following metabolic pathway:
Precursor Molecules
(Phytoene synthetase)
Phytoene
(Crt 1)
Lycopene
(Enzymes already present in rice endosperm)
Beta carotene

With the words in brackets being the enzymes required at each stage.
Reply 774
Original post by heartskippedabeat
I am, I haven't even started revising for it yet :|
What did you get in january?
I wish it was before f215, would make so much more sense :tongue:

Can i ask what did you get for it in january? :smile:
Reply 775
Original post by Dandan10
Hey someone please explain to me the differences between DNA probe and primer ?
Also what is Interrupted Polymerase Chain Reaction ? and what are those fluorescence do ? I am so confused right now :frown:

DNA probe is a short single stranded piece of DNA that is complementary to a piece of DNA being investigated. It's used only in electrophoresis. Basically the DNA probe can attach to the DNA by annealing to the base pairs by hydrogen bonding. Also it can be marked by a fluorescent marker so that when UV light is exposed to it then the fluorescent colour shows up.

Whereas a primer is used in PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction). It's similar to a DNA probe as it is also a short single strand of DNA that binds to a section of DNA as or else the DNA polymerase enzyme can't bind to it!

Hope that helps. :s-smilie: :smile:
Reply 776
Original post by sillysal
anyone retaking f214?
is there a thread for it? im so screwed for f214

Same here, retaking it too! Genuinely haven't done anything for it yet except definition of excretion :s-smilie: there's soo much content in just F215 so can't manage both units at the same time. Think F214 will have to wait for the night before the exam!!
Reply 777
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/search?q_sl=%2C&q=F215&go=
Let me know if i've messed up on any of the quizes at all and i'll change them!
Original post by ManPowa
Can i ask what did you get for it in january? :smile:

U :redface:
It was a horrible paper though, and I was focusing on my other exams, obviously.. :wink:
You?
Reply 779
Original post by ekta9
Same here, retaking it too! Genuinely haven't done anything for it yet except definition of excretion :s-smilie: there's soo much content in just F215 so can't manage both units at the same time. Think F214 will have to wait for the night before the exam!!

That's the plan for everyone I know re-taking it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending