The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3 Sample answer(s)

Morning / Afternoon / Evening all (circle where appropriate)

I've been struggling to get to grips with what exactly is needed to get the high grades in the Business Studies Unit 3 exam coming up on the 10th (which I'm resitting). Even looking at the photocopy I've got from my exam in January, I'm not completely sure how I can improve to get from the low D I achieved to at least a B (which I'm predicted).

I've looked online for sample answers, and I even saw a thread asking about them on TSR, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm aware of the mark scheme and examiner reports on the AQA website, but does anyone know where I can find any fully written B or A grade answers for BUSS3?

Much love in advance. If you can help me out I might give you an e-cookie.
Reply 1
http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/business/business_materials.php?id=05&prev=

Go on teacher resource bank

Then candidate Exemplar Work Buss3.
Reply 2
Original post by soledaled
http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/business/business_materials.php?id=05&prev=

Go on teacher resource bank

Then candidate Exemplar Work Buss3.

Ah, much appreciated!

Do you (or anyone) know if these example answers are definitely still appropriate for the upcoming exam? I noticed that the mark scheme was different in June 2010 and January 2011 (and onwards, I presume), and marks were awarded based around levels (L1, L2, L3 etc) rather than assessment objectives (AO1, AO2, etc) like in January 2010. Would this perhaps mean that throwing a definition of an appropriate business term into the middle of an essay might not reward AO1 (content/knowledge) marks anymore?
Reply 3
Original post by Laurie57
Ah, much appreciated!

Do you (or anyone) know if these example answers are definitely still appropriate for the upcoming exam? I noticed that the mark scheme was different in June 2010 and January 2011 (and onwards, I presume), and marks were awarded based around levels (L1, L2, L3 etc) rather than assessment objectives (AO1, AO2, etc) like in January 2010. Would this perhaps mean that throwing a definition of an appropriate business term into the middle of an essay might not reward AO1 (content/knowledge) marks anymore?

Hi there, I got a middle C in January and I'm hoping to boost it up to an A tomorrow. I threw in a few key terms in Jan, but my best recommendation is to try and keep them to the top of the answer. This way your format is more clear and concise. However, you won't lose any marks if you feel it is necessary - the vital points are structure and the way you answer the question, with content being second. Any question with 11 mark plus requires an evaluation. One minute per mark.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Laurie57
Ah, much appreciated!

Well I got a Middle B in January and I'm resitting so its pretty much the same. I'll break down how you get the marks.

Say the questions on Marketing Plans being useful.

Firstly define what a Marketing Plan is ..... (This gets you in Lv2 Content without making points).

Then give a reason from the case study say it helped them focus their resources on their market which in turn meant that they did better than their competitors gaining more market share and made the business more succesful and it may be that Marketing Plans are the most useful thing to a business.

(This Isn't yet Lv3 Content as it's only one reason but your Application is Lv2 as your using the case study as well as having LV2 Analysis as your pointing out why the Marketing Plan was useful as well as LV1 Evaluation for the sentence saying Marketing Plans may the most useful thing the business did

So just repeat this so you have say 3 reasons and a final evaluation paragraph and you should do quite well. (34 mark question is a different story though)

Sorry for the long ramble. Anymore questions say about the 34 mark question just quote me, I don't mind.
Reply 5
Well I got a Middle B in January and I'm resitting so its pretty much the same. I'll break down how you get the marks.

Say the questions on Marketing Plans being useful.

Firstly define what a Marketing Plan is ..... (This gets you in Lv2 Content without making points).

Then give a reason from the case study say it helped them focus their resources on their market which in turn meant that they did better than their competitors gaining more market share and made the business more succesful and it may be that Marketing Plans are the most useful thing to a business.

(This Isn't yet Lv3 Content as it's only one reason but your Application is Lv2 as your using the case study as well as having LV2 Analysis as your pointing out why the Marketing Plan was useful as well as LV1 Evaluation for the sentence saying Marketing Plans may the most useful thing the business did

So just repeat this so you have say 3 reasons and a final evaluation paragraph and you should do quite well. (34 mark question is a different story though)

Sorry for the long ramble. Anymore questions say about the 34 mark question just quote me, I don't mind.

that was really helpful thanks :biggrin:
could you help me with the 34 mark structure?
Reply 6
Sure.

You get your content marks from a well developed two sided view this time and not from defining what the question wants if you get me.

So I'd advise writting down Points For and then leaving a line so that the examiner knows these are your points for and later on Points Against so the examiner can clearly see it's a two sided view so you get your content marks.

Say the question asks whether the business should move from one location to another. Points For Moving. The area has more disposable income which in turn means that the business can charge higher prices within the area which will mean that their is higher profit margins which will mean that the business will have better profits which leads to the continued success of the business thus it may be the opportunity of charging higher prices could be a key reason for moving to this area.

This gives content Lv2-Lv3 (that's if you do a couple of these paragraphs for and against) and as you are highlighting points from the case study in a half decent manner the examiner has to give your Lv2 application minimum.

In terms of analysis always try and link it back to the overall success of the business, what will this new option do that will lead to success? This is a good solid Lv2 Analysis atleast as you say why it's good financially and why it leads to success.

Evaluation wise as you've literally put higher prices may be the main reason for moving here it's a tiny evaluation but your Lv1 already.

Here are my tips for the 34 marks question:
1. Set out Points For and Against headings so the examiner will see them and think two sided automatically so he won't have to look through saving him/her time and making him more positive to you.

2. Make a point from the case study (higher disposable incomes/ reputation for quality already in the area)

3. Then state why this is good/bad (can charge higher prices - higher profit margins - better profit/ people know who you are - new area would need longer time to build rep - loss of profits because people don't know whether your good or bad)

4. Make a small one line evaluation at the end of EVERY paragraph something small like this may mean that the best way forward would be charging higher prices in this area or staying put in the area and expanding within the local vicinity because of the reputation.

5. DO NOT forget to do a recommendation. After your For + Against another heading saying Recommendation in which you weight up both arguments, yet more disposable income in a prime location yet the rent costs more and we already have good reputation. So I think the best option is to stay because of the already existant positive reputation and grow locally rather than move to the new area.

Yet again sorry for the massiveness. :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RetroKid!
that was really helpful thanks :biggrin:
could you help me with the 34 mark structure?

Post above :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Sure.

You get your content marks from a well developed two sided view this time and not from defining what the question wants if you get me.

So I'd advise writting down Points For and then leaving a line so that the examiner knows these are your points for and later on Points Against so the examiner can clearly see it's a two sided view so you get your content marks.

Say the question asks whether the business should move from one location to another. Points For Moving. The area has more disposable income which in turn means that the business can charge higher prices within the area which will mean that their is higher profit margins which will mean that the business will have better profits which leads to the continued success of the business thus it may be the opportunity of charging higher prices could be a key reason for moving to this area.

This gives content Lv2-Lv3 (that's if you do a couple of these paragraphs for and against) and as you are highlighting points from the case study in a half decent manner the examiner has to give your Lv2 application minimum.

In terms of analysis always try and link it back to the overall success of the business, what will this new option do that will lead to success? This is a good solid Lv2 Analysis atleast as you say why it's good financially and why it leads to success.

Evaluation wise as you've literally put higher prices may be the main reason for moving here it's a tiny evaluation but your Lv1 already.

1. Set out Points For and Against headings so the examiner will see them and think two sided automatically so he won't have to look through saving him/her time and making him more positive to you.

2. Make a point from the case study (higher disposable incomes/ reputation for quality already in the area)

3. Then state why this is good/bad (can charge higher prices - higher profit margins - better profit/ people know who you are - new area would need longer time to build rep - loss of profits because people don't know whether your good or bad)

4. Make a small one line evaluation at the end of EVERY paragraph something small like this may mean that the best way forward would be charging higher prices in this area or staying put in the area and expanding within the local vicinity because of the reputation.

5. DO NOT forget to do a recommendation. After your For + Against another heading saying Recommendation in which you weight up both arguments, yet more disposable income in a prime location yet the rent costs more and we already have good reputation. So I think the best option is to stay because of the already existant positive reputation and grow locally rather than move to the new area.

:smile: you have taught me more than my teacher has in 2 years!
thank you so much
& i wish you all the luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 9

When it comes to reading informative posts which could result in a higher grade in an important exam, sometimes more is more :biggrin:

Cheers for the input! It's very helpful, and it makes logical sense too. Especially the point about making a short evaluative point at the end of every paragraph on the last question, as it seems like an efficient way to get the evaluation marks (which I critically missed out on in January).
Im resitting Buss 3 in june, but i have no idea what is expected for me to get an A.. Any top tips ?
Soledale, ur post was really helpful.. thanks. I was wondering what makes you different from a C grade student and an A.. because i keep getting C's on my paper.. and i want to know where i can score more points. If you can remember from when you took the paper that is. Please and thanku.
Reply 12
Sure.

Okay so i know this is a really old post now but i'm resitting BUSS3 in june because i got a C but need to get an A because i want an A overall and found this really helpful :smile: so thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending