The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by heartskippedabeat
U :redface:
It was a horrible paper though, and I was focusing on my other exams, obviously.. :wink:
You?

I found that exam easy if im honest comparing it to last years papers where both were solid. I got a B, 70 UMS, 1 mark away from an A errr :/

For example 8 marks on osmoregulation.. filling in the gaps. I didnt even learn that, i guessed them all lol. Imagine they were 2/3 markers describe/ explain question, then it would have been difficult.

But dont worry, just memorise what didnt come up in the january paper and hopefully the F214 exam will be good. Im just dreading this one F215. Aint learnt nothing yet. Got 4 days :/
:frown:
Original post by ManPowa
I found that exam easy if im honest comparing it to last years papers where both were solid. I got a B, 70 UMS, 1 mark away from an A errr :/

For example 8 marks on osmoregulation.. filling in the gaps. I didnt even learn that, i guessed them all lol. Imagine they were 2/3 markers describe/ explain question, then it would have been difficult.

But dont worry, just memorise what didnt come up in the january paper and hopefully the F214 exam will be good. Im just dreading this one F215. Aint learnt nothing yet. Got 4 days :/

Really? I found it much harder than the AS papers and F212 which I resat in Jan :redface:
Tbh I hardly revised for it though so that might be why!

That's still really good though, it's the ums that count not the individual module grades haha :smile:

I completely guessed the osmoregulation stuff too and I think got them all wrong, then as soon as I walked out of the exam remembered all the answers :rolleyes:

Yeah hopefully it should be fine! But same, I'm really stressing about F215. There's just so much content that however much I revise, nothing really sticks :tongue: And all the biotechnology/gene technology stuff is so easy to get mixed up :/

What grade are you aiming for overall?
I knew it would all start falling into place :smile: F215 is not as bad as I thought!!! Though I still don't get genetics :frown:
Original post by slacker07906
I knew it would all start falling into place :smile: F215 is not as bad as I thought!!! Though I still don't get genetics :frown:

:facepalm: Just do what I have been suggesting forever...
:smile:
Original post by ManPowa

Four days for f215 is short,make every second matter!
Reply 786
Original post by ibysaiyan
:facepalm: Just do what I have been suggesting forever...
:smile:

what's that? haha
Also does anyone know when you talkabout neuromuscular junction...are you expected to talk about sliding filament or is that a complete different question??? slightly stuck please help!!!
Original post by aquarius00
Also does anyone know when you talkabout neuromuscular junction...are you expected to talk about sliding filament or is that a complete different question??? slightly stuck please help!!!

You need to mention about action potential flowing from pre-synaptic end to the post-synaptic end at the muscle i.e how the action potential activates calcium ions(from sarcolplasmic reticulum) whose flux causes the change in shape of tropomyosin and then speak of sliding filament module .
=]
Original post by Nadooo
what's that? haha

Having a thorough read from the book itself,then finishing all of the past paper questions on genetics,a re read from the book again,all the past papers if possible. (In sequence)
thankyou
Reply 791
Having a thorough read from the book itself,then finishing all of the past paper questions on genetics,a re read from the book again,all the past papers if possible. (In sequence)

does it work in giving results? hope you're speaking from experience cos i need an A :tongue:

edit: do you mean the past papers in the book after each module??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 792
Original post by Dandan10
Hey someone please explain to me the differences between DNA probe and primer ?
Also what is Interrupted Polymerase Chain Reaction ? and what are those fluorescence do ? I am so confused right now :frown:

i think that a DNA probe is basically a complementary length of DNA. Therefore, for example during electropherisis.. if you want to identify a particular DNA fragment you can add this probe which will join to the DNA fragment. Whereas a primer is used just to begin complementary base pairing.
Original post by Nadooo
does it work in giving results? hope you're speaking from experience cos i need an A :tongue:

I got an A,for me it did. =]
Otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here,lol.
The way I did was genetics first from the book (grasping the basic conepts),then past papers solely on genetics,then the rest of the book followed by past paper questions (though I only ever did were genetics,rest I just read from the book).So past papers may help you but I personally think that examiners are creative.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 794
I got an A,for me it did. =]
Otherwise I wouldn't be posting on here,lol.

well done :smile:

what past papers though? in the book or from the website?
Reply 795
Original post by slacker07906
Anyone want to swap msn addies and ask each other questions in a bit? We could start a session at around 7? If so PM me or just quote me :smile:

I'll be up for it sometime - [email protected]
Reply 796
Original post by boboyt
I'll be up for it sometime - [email protected]

im up for it aswell.. We'l go through a module following each spec point.

[email protected]
Reply 797
Original post by Viva009
gene mutation definition anyone? :smile:

an unpredictable/random change in genetic material
Original post by gkaur123
i think that a DNA probe is basically a complementary length of DNA. Therefore, for example during electropherisis.. if you want to identify a particular DNA fragment you can add this probe which will join to the DNA fragment. Whereas a primer is used just to begin complementary base pairing.

Yes,primer is few hundred base long which basically tells polymerase enzyme to initiate catalyzation i.e it guides it.
Probe on the other hand can be radioactive such as in electrophoresis or florescent.
Can anyone answer this?

Is the 3' end a sticky end?
or are sticky ends only formed by a DNA is fragmented by restriction enzymes?

anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending