The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex Accomodation 2011

Hi guys

I've got an unconditional offer to study English Lit at Essex, starting this September. I'm just having a bit of a nightmare atm over which accomodation to chose. I don't think towers is for me...living with 15 people and sharing a bathroom I think might drive me a bit crazy. I considered houses but heard they're really quiet, which I don't particularly fancy either. So I was thinking of going for the Quay's to get the best of both? Or are they too far off campus?

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky, but I am literally the most indecisive person there is so any help/advice really would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

look at south courts, they have a social side, with ensuit, but better than the quays they are on campus
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, I'm also doing Eng Lit at Essex, so yay!
I was gonna apply for the quays, but I was down there when we had the snow last year, and walking around campus was hard enough, let alone getting off it.
I ended up applying for south courts. although its expensive, you'd get your money's worth.
Hope I helped =] x
Reply 3
Woo! I've heard really good things about the course so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I think South Courts will just be a bit pricey for me... Houses or Quays will even be a stretch I reckon!

But thank you both for the advice about quays. You're right its much better to be on campus, so I've decided on houses. Even if it is quiet, at least I can gatecrash what's going on elsewhere haha! Thanks again :smile: x
Reply 4
Can anyone please tell me if the shower rooms in the South Towers also have loos in them? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jessica-H
Woo! I've heard really good things about the course so I'm definitely looking forward to it!

I think South Courts will just be a bit pricey for me... Houses or Quays will even be a stretch I reckon!

But thank you both for the advice about quays. You're right its much better to be on campus, so I've decided on houses. Even if it is quiet, at least I can gatecrash what's going on elsewhere haha! Thanks again :smile: x

if need be find friends who are in the towers, then you get the best of both worlds!

Original post by Winterbells
Can anyone please tell me if the shower rooms in the South Towers also have loos in them? Thanks :smile:

I think they were separate. paddy_power will know
Original post by Jessica-H
Hi guys

I've got an unconditional offer to study English Lit at Essex, starting this September. I'm just having a bit of a nightmare atm over which accomodation to chose. I don't think towers is for me...living with 15 people and sharing a bathroom I think might drive me a bit crazy. I considered houses but heard they're really quiet, which I don't particularly fancy either. So I was thinking of going for the Quay's to get the best of both? Or are they too far off campus?

Maybe I'm being a bit too picky, but I am literally the most indecisive person there is so any help/advice really would be appreciated :smile:

The Quays are really far out. Nobody likes anyone who lives there :p:

The towers are the best choice, but you seem to have made the right decision for you so that's all good. The towers will be where the parties are in freshers so just walk over to one, pretty much everywhere will let you in :smile:

Original post by Winterbells

Original post by Vrooo....oops
if need be find friends who are in the towers, then you get the best of both worlds!

I think they were separate. paddy_power will know

To my knowledge they are indeed separate - they definitely are in the North Towers where you have two shower rooms and three toilets. I'm fairly sure the same is true of the south. The times I've been there I've been too drunk to remember now, lol.
I did English Literature by the way so if anyone has any questions about the course I'm happy to answer them if I can :smile:
Original post by paddy__power

To my knowledge they are indeed separate - they definitely are in the North Towers where you have two shower rooms and three toilets. I'm fairly sure the same is true of the south. The times I've been there I've been too drunk to remember now, lol.

Pisshead! you've let me down

I know when i used a loo there there wasn't a shower in the loo. But never went into the showers so can't really say..
Pisshead! you've let me down

I know when i used a loo there there wasn't a shower in the loo. But never went into the showers so can't really say..

In that case they will definitely be separate; for good reason. People obviously don't need to use both at the same time so having them separate precludes it being a problem for someone who needs one while the other is in use and visa versa.
In that case they will definitely be separate; for good reason. People obviously don't need to use both at the same time so having them separate precludes it being a problem for someone who needs one while the other is in use and visa versa.

suppose that does make sense really
suppose that does make sense really

Aye, plus the shower has no curtain and thus the floor does tend to get a little wet sometimes (not that this doesn't happen in the toilet :colonhash:)
Aye, plus the shower has no curtain and thus the floor does tend to get a little wet sometimes (not that this doesn't happen in the toilet :colonhash:)

if you men could aim it would be fine! this would be why i liked an en-suite :yes:
if you men could aim it would be fine! this would be why i liked an en-suite :yes:

I can. Apparently most can't. It goes on the seat mostly though and that can be wiped up.
hmmm... i'm not going to ask you to prove it. but there is a great big hole you should be able to aim for rather than hte seat.
hmmm... i'm not going to ask you to prove it. but there is a great big hole you should be able to aim for rather than hte seat.

:rofl:
:rofl:

Yes dear *pat*

You can derail anything!
Yes dear *pat*

You can derail anything!

It's a skill and a talent :h:
Hi and many thanks for the in-depth responses to my question about loos and showers which has been most enlightening and thought-provoking. :smile: However, to claim that one might not need both a shower and a loo at the same time is not absolutely accurate. Although it's unlikely that someone would suddenly feel the need for a shower whilst using the loo, someone could suddenly find themselves in need of the loo whilst in the shower. I'm not going to speculate about what they might do to resolve that situation.....
Hey, what is the contract for accommodation at Essex? I have been trying to find this info out from the webstie but I can't find it anywhere. Can we choose to have it for the whole year but excluding Xmas and Easter Holiday? :s-smilie:

If you cant choose, how many weeks in a year would I be living in uni accommodation? 39 weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending