The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University, Belfast 2011 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evilspongebob
Hi

I currently have an offer for BBB but it is looking like I will get ABC instead? Am I still likely to be given my placE?

I think I remember them saying they wouldn't when they gave a talk at our school last year. :/
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by evilspongebob
Hi

I currently have an offer for BBB but it is looking like I will get ABC instead? Am I still likely to be given my placE?
With queens its either meet the condition and your in or if you don't your not, no room for negotiation.
Reply 182
Anyone find applying for accommodations really confusing?
I'm coming over from England - Do I count as an international student or not? Seeing as it says Ireland counts as international. I'm assuming not but still confusing.
I'm guessing insurance people also apply for accommodation and will lose the £300 if they get the firm instead..
Original post by ChoYunEL
I'm coming over from England - Do I count as an international student or not? Seeing as it says Ireland counts as international. I'm assuming not but still confusing.
I'm guessing insurance people also apply for accommodation and will lose the £300 if they get the firm instead..

Ireland is international cos its a different country. You would not be considered international. I dont think insurance people can apply for queens accommodation yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nicole_Sarah
Ohh not so good then! What was your offer?

I've got a firm unconditional for psychology because I'm on a year out and had my grades from last year. Glad I don't have to worry about getting in :s-smilie:

Are you just applying for Elms?

Unconditional! lucky =P
I took a year out aswell, was repeating an exam, grade came back just after I got my offer so I only have a conditional. Got the grades for it now though
Reply 185

We (people from mainland UK) are NOT international students (:
I'm coming over from England - Do I count as an international student or not?

And there was me thinking people who went to uni were all intelligent :rolleyes:
Reply 187
Original post by rocket0612
And there was me thinking people who went to uni were all intelligent :rolleyes:

Sometimes what is 'common sense' is wrong and therefore it's best to find out what is right. However, when there isn't anything on the website really stating what is what - it can be rather misleading when it says 'including Ireland.' In which case, it should say what is is not including.

International Student
Everywhere, not including United Kingdom Applicants.

Sorry for giving the impression as 'stupid' :rolleyes:
Reply 188
Has anyone applied for Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition at Queens? .. I'm beginning to feel like i'm the only one!!.. Have firmed it :smile:
Original post by JennyDigital
Unconditional! lucky =P
I took a year out aswell, was repeating an exam, grade came back just after I got my offer so I only have a conditional. Got the grades for it now though

Least you know you've got in then :smile: Have you applied for accommodation?
Original post by linfield_fan
Yea BBB, currently sittin on AAA so should be sweet I hope! :smile:

Aww should be then :smile: Are you going to stay in Elms?
Original post by Jellytots122
What do you guys think of living in accommodation when you live quite near to Queens? I can commute if I wanted to but it would take an hour each way, but I also don't want to miss out on anything :/ On the other hand I could save money! I really don't know what to do :s-smilie:

It would take me about that time to commute as well, but I've applied for accommodation at Elms, I think I would feel like I was missing out on the social part of being at university if I was coming home every night...
Anyone doin criminology with sociology this year?
Reply 193
Original post by rocket0612

When I went to the open day I was told that GB students were Internationals, so it's not a difficult mistake to make

Also, is anyone considering going to stay at one of the Theological Colleges? I was looking at Union but was put off by the fact that you can't drink on the premesis.

Original post by Jellytots122
What do you guys think of living in accommodation when you live quite near to Queens? I can commute if I wanted to but it would take an hour each way, but I also don't want to miss out on anything :/ On the other hand I could save money! I really don't know what to do :s-smilie:

I would recommend staying in Halls for first year, as then you can decide what you want to do for the years after. Otherwise you may feel that you're missing out having to drive/get the last train/bus back especially on all nighters!
Also, I think Elms will be hilarious, and apparently people go home at the weekend (a mass exodus I'm told) so you won't miss out on home life :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
Not that I'm being petty or anything, but I'm confused by the negative rep?
Reply 195
Original post by ccasem11
When I went to the open day I was told that GB students were Internationals, so it's not a difficult mistake to make

So... People coming over from England are international students??
So... People coming over from England are international students??

For fees, no, you are home. But I think as far as accommodation goes, they will guarantee you a room.

Internationals pay a huge amount more in fees. When I did international student orientation kids from the UK were not included.
Reply 197
I think GB students do get a guaranteed room and also I was told that there is a special GB students dinner at the beginning of the year to make friends due to the quiet weekends.
But one of the professors told me we are counted as international because the uni gets more money that way.
Aww should be then :smile: Are you going to stay in Elms?

Nah just living at home for first year :smile:
It would take me about that time to commute as well, but I've applied for accommodation at Elms, I think I would feel like I was missing out on the social part of being at university if I was coming home every night...

Original post by ccasem11

Also, is anyone considering going to stay at one of the Theological Colleges? I was looking at Union but was put off by the fact that you can't drink on the premesis.

I would recommend staying in Halls for first year, as then you can decide what you want to do for the years after. Otherwise you may feel that you're missing out having to drive/get the last train/bus back especially on all nighters!
Also, I think Elms will be hilarious, and apparently people go home at the weekend (a mass exodus I'm told) so you won't miss out on home life :smile:

hmm I don't know :frown: hard descision for me
living in elms would be so fun, but still... I'd rather you were allowed to apply for just a term instead of a year - would they let me?
I think i'll live at home and use the money to buy a car instead, its more convinent, then maybe the second year I could live in private accommodation. Can use your loan to do that, or do you have to give it back if you decide to not live in accommodation anymore?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending