The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2380
:O, can never see who unless i like it, but then whole of facebook knows i'm on here :ahee:
I'm finished my exams because I'm Scottish. We only get so much summer, so they try to let us finish our exams in decent time for it. :cool:
Original post by Harbour Seal

I'm finished my exams because I'm Scottish. We only get so much summer, so they try to let us finish our exams in decent time for it. :cool:

:lol:

Sounds about right.

You best be making the most of the summer-y weather then :hmmm:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:lol:

Sounds about right.

You best be making the most of the summer-y weather then :hmmm:

HAHAHAHAHAHA I am Scottish... WTF is this summer you speak of?
HAHAHAHAHAHA I am Scottish... WTF is this summer you speak of?

Haha, have to agree with you though I have to admit last week was pretty nice, was doing work experience so didn't actually get out till the evening but was still pretty sunny.
Reply 2385
Original post by laurenl93
Salters chemistry b yeah?
Tell me about it! They're so specific on what they'll give marks for eventhough you've put in so much more detail or something just cus you didn't explain the word which is obvious you won't get the Mark eventhough you explained the hard stuff perfectly :facepalm:

I miss biology, like ten possible answers for a three Mark question :hearts:

Erm.. My first exam is on Monday? How are these people FINISHED?!
wish I was finished. Unreal how much I just want to go out clubbing and get a pitcher in the sun and abuse my body with vodka :frown: :sexface:
... But like... Not in a Geordie shore way or anything..

Oh my god this is going to be me. Twoweeks tomorrow I finish my exams, and I'm going to be SO lazy that day, then friday I'm going out in Brimingham, and I don't plan on remembering that night...
Erm.. My first exam is on Monday? How are these people FINISHED?!
wish I was finished. Unreal how much I just want to go out clubbing and get a pitcher in the sun and abuse my body with vodka :frown: :sexface:
... But like... Not in a Geordie shore way or anything..

Aha my thoughts exactly
And i'm not very lightweight when it comes to alcohol so it takes quite alot to get me to be completely off my face.. :frown:
Guess i'll just have to drink more!
Just hope i don't end up with kidney failure during my gap year in an attempt to drown my A level/2011 ucas sorrows.. :rolleyes:

Original post by twelve
Oh my god this is going to be me. Twoweeks tomorrow I finish my exams, and I'm going to be SO lazy that day, then friday I'm going out in Brimingham, and I don't plan on remembering that night...

I'll be in Birmingham too! but not till the week after
And i'm going to edinburgh with some friends (i have no idea why, their idea)
but i'm up for anything that keeps me from staring at 4 walls till i start my hca job
Reply 2387
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Aha my thoughts exactly
And i'm not very lightweight when it comes to alcohol so it takes quite alot to get me to be completely off my face.. :frown:
Guess i'll just have to drink more!
Just hope i don't end up with kidney failure during my gap year in an attempt to drown my A level/2011 ucas sorrows.. :rolleyes:

I'll be in Birmingham too! but not till the week after
And i'm going to edinburgh with some friends (i have no idea why, their idea)
but i'm up for anything that keeps me from staring at 4 walls till i start my hca job

Haha, we'll organise a meet sometime, when we spend most of our time on TSR because we have run out of things to do :P Where abouts are you actually from?

Ooo and good news guys - I passed the test to get an interview as a bank HCA :biggrin: So should be sometime in the week starting the 20th :smile:

Any tips? I've never had an interview before, I don't know how to prepare haha.
Original post by twelve
Haha, we'll organise a meet sometime, when we spend most of our time on TSR because we have run out of things to do :P Where abouts are you actually from?

Ooo and good news guys - I passed the test to get an interview as a bank HCA :biggrin: So should be sometime in the week starting the 20th :smile:

Haha definately :smile:
Lol do you mean orginally or where i reside..?
Yeah I live in london but i got some brummy cousins up there and my friends are gonna come too for some good clubbing outside of are usual london bubble
It's like we're doing a UK tour cos noone can really afford a holiday abroad atm.. Sad times..

With regards to the hca interview, mine was actually really easy.
Had the test and the interview on the same day though.
Was the same old why do you want to work as a hca etc?
The worst was what is cancer and how would you explain to someone who doesn't know what it is..?
What do you think we do in this department/on this ward?
So i had it pretty easy though i'm probably not the best person to ask because my mum is good friends with the interviewer.. but i'm sure that had nothing to do with it :tongue:
Anyhoo mine was in chemo so just research the job before you go and the "person specification" thing is really useful guide. Drop words like interpersonal skills and empathy here and there and you should be fine. Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twelve

Congrats in the HCA!
you'll do fantastic :biggrin:

I've changed my mind about getting a HCA, since I work in abpharmacy I'm just gna try and get a job in a hospital too as a porter or something :smile:

Ooh is Birmingham good for night life?
I'm going out that saturday and we'r all sleeping at my best friends, unashamed to say I'll be starting on the pitchers and will be carried home.
It's a **** night if you can't remezmber how/when you got home.

:sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2390
Original post by twelve
4 pre-interview rejectionsss yayy, me too. And same UKCAT score... :ninja:

And now for your questions:

1) You can apply while you're on a course, but you need to check that the universities you apply to are happy for you to do that. Some places don't want dropouts from any course, for obvious reasons. Dmz was going to do this, so ask him :smile:

2) I don't know about the BMAT (the chance of failing and ending up losing a choice scared me off it) but I'd say make sure you seriously consider where the weaknesses of your application were before. You say you think that your PS was rubbish, but what do the universities say about it? Obviously it won't have been your grades, but Leeds give good feedback on their scoring system. For example, I know that I don't need more voluntary work, but I need to demonstrate a bit more passion about the course for next year. Make sure you find out about that. I don't know if there are people who have been accepted as reapplicants to Oxbridge, but I'm sure there are. I guess its probaly kind of rare, because once you've been through the cycle once, you just want a place anywhere. I wouldn't even consider Oxbridge if it was me, just because I don't want to waste a choice - I just want to go and study medicine. You have better grades than me though, so you probably could do it, if you improved your PS. Its a personal choice, but basically you need to make sure you know WHY they rejected you.

3) I'm sure if you apply to enough places you'll get a job - so far I've applied to maybe 7 HCA jobs, and heard only one thing back - and its not even an interview yet. And I've applied to a couple of jobs as a waitress/bartender. There are jobs out there - you just need to make sure you big up your voluntary work/work experience. Find ANYTHING relevant to the job you're applying for in your work experience etc. And look for posts that don't ask for experience. Failing that, get more voluntary work - at least it'll give you experience. Work in a charity shop, then at least you can say you have experience in retail. Is it a relevant job you want? Or just the money? I'd apply to any job you find, anywhere. Chances are you'll get at least one of them. And then at least you have job experience so you'll be able to get your next job.

4) Driving theory test books - and make sure you practise hazard perception. As someone with a good memory, the rest of the test was fine, but hazard perception was a beast...

Wow you guys should really put TSR on your CV or personal statement or something lol. Super fast responses, I kinda forgot I even posted on here :smile:

Thank for the response. So the unis would definitely know that I was already on a course. humph.

As for my ps... well Leeds feedback was pretty useless. I didn't have enough non-academic achievements, which is standard because my extra curriculars were squashed into one line at the end and were meaningless. I didn't think I had to have achievements, just enough of a life to keep me sane.

Anyway I also failed quite badly on responsibility, my teacher said it might be because I only gave a few examples of what I'd done and went into quite a bit of detail about them, so I would give one thing i'd done and expect it to show motivation, insight AND responsibility, whereas they usually expect 1/2 examples for each of the criteria.

Jobs - I took to applying via jobstoday.com and that was really good. Applied for loads of sales jobs and got a few interviews which I was pleased about. Not sure how well they're going to go though - I don't know how to relate medicine to door to door sales lol... but it pays well and i could do with the money. Anyway i took a week off revision last week to apply for jobs - must have applied for at least 30. Now I've got a pile of about 10 application forms for care homes that I've got through the post and need to get around filling in. Most are bank though and maybe if I get a sales job (its quite long hours) I should just stick to that and do more voluntary work for my application.
Reply 2391
Original post by Jin3011
I know you muwhahaha!:cool:

Stalker - you probably don't.

Noone knows me. Not even I know me :ninja2:
Reply 2392
i got full marks from 4 for responsibility after i got a job. 6 in curricular both times but i do about 3 main sports, student council, and i used to play the sax :emo: was in 2 professional play also tho i forgot to put that down, but do a few things all over the place and a job
Reply 2393
I was only 2 points off interview, and I heard you get 1 for having your a-levels? So If i do that and get a job a might be in with a better chance?

i do quite like the look of Leeds but If I'm going to tailor my application to them so much why wouldn't I just go to Bradford and apply for the transfer, higher chance of getting into leeds that way than conventional route :s-smilie:

LOL non academic - I played amatuer basketball and climbed snowdon. I also entered a novel writing competition. That was my idea of relaxing. I must have sounded like a loser they really didn't want to meet.
Reply 2394
Original post by jabjooba
I was only 2 points off interview, and I heard you get 1 for having your a-levels? So If i do that and get a job a might be in with a better chance?

i do quite like the look of Leeds but If I'm going to tailor my application to them so much why wouldn't I just go to Bradford and apply for the transfer, higher chance of getting into leeds that way than conventional route :s-smilie:

LOL non academic - I played amatuer basketball and climbed snowdon. I also entered a novel writing competition. That was my idea of relaxing. I must have sounded like a loser they really didn't want to meet.

risky tho. Was my back up both times and i declined it both times. Oh nice, my academic let me down. Needed full marks on ps for interview. Nah great achievements
Reply 2395
Congrats in the HCA!
you'll do fantastic :biggrin:

I've changed my mind about getting a HCA, since I work in abpharmacy I'm just gna try and get a job in a hospital too as a porter or something :smile:

Ooh is Birmingham good for night life?
I'm going out that saturday and we'r all sleeping at my best friends, unashamed to say I'll be starting on the pitchers and will be carried home.
It's a **** night if you can't remezmber how/when you got home.

:sexface:

Thankyouu I'm hoping so! I think its one of those where there are lots of jobs available - at least thats what I'm hoping. They said they'd invited 50 people to do the test :O Although I was in the last one, and she sad that only 25 people had actually turned up all day :/

Yeahh its quite good - I've never really been out for a proper night out there before though. I live the closest out of my friends, but its still a good half hour out of the centre, so expensive taxis. I think practically my whole college, and the sixth form my friends go to is going to Propaganda though, so should be a good night :smile:

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Haha definately :smile:
Lol do you mean orginally or where i reside..?
Yeah I live in london but i got some brummy cousins up there and my friends are gonna come too for some good clubbing outside of are usual london bubble
It's like we're doing a UK tour cos noone can really afford a holiday abroad atm.. Sad times..

With regards to the hca interview, mine was actually really easy.
Had the test and the interview on the same day though.
Was the same old why do you want to work as a hca etc?
The worst was what is cancer and how would you explain to someone who doesn't know what it is..?
What do you think we do in this department/on this ward?
So i had it pretty easy though i'm probably not the best person to ask because my mum is good friends with the interviewer.. but i'm sure that had nothing to do with it :tongue:
Anyhoo mine was in chemo so just research the job before you go and the "person specification" thing is really useful guide. Drop words like interpersonal skills and empathy here and there and you should be fine. Good luck!

I meant where you live now, I know you're technically from Nigeria isn't it? :ninja:

Yeahh, its probably a lot cheaper up here than down in London - would love to go for a night out there, but its just tooo expensive. Maybe when I get this job and have LOTSS of moniessss :biggrin:

Ahh brilliant - cause its a bank post, I'll be working in lots of different departments, so I think I'll just play up the old hospital voluntary work. Aside from cleaning up poo and stuff, I think I'll be doing pretty much the same thing :smile: Tahnkyouuu :biggrin:
Hey guys :smile: Wanted to ask, has anyone booked their UKCAT yet? I haven't booked mine yet, although I'm hoping to take a gap year, but just in case if I don't get the grades, shall I book my UKCAT test after August 18th? I know for sure gap year is what I definitely want, but I still applied through extra for Medical biochemistry at University of Birmingham which I got an offer for. I only did this as a backup if I don't get my grades in August, especially worried about biology >.< I'm hoping to get A*AA, but I applied for a backup course if hypothetically I get A*AB (the B in the biology) So, do you guys think I should book my ukcat now? I'm thinking just to book it after my exams finish which is June 24th.

P.S. - At AS, I was 1 mark off an A in biology, so my teacher said not to retake the unit 2 module as I can make up for it at A2. But, I did my unit 4 biology exam in January for edexcel SNAB and got a D. >.< Never got a D in my life! But, the exam paper was really hard and you needed 54/90 for an A, what's worse is that the grade boundaries were 4 marks apart! So, I got 45/90 [I got my script back] which was equivalent to frickin' D. Lol. So, I'm retaking this unit which is on Monday and also doing unit 5. So, I know for sure I need quite high marks in both of these exams to ensure an A grade.
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Hey guys :smile: Wanted to ask, has anyone booked their UKCAT yet? I haven't booked mine yet, although I'm hoping to take a gap year, but just in case if I don't get the grades, shall I book my UKCAT test after August 18th? I know for sure gap year is what I definitely want, but I still applied through extra for Medical biochemistry at University of Birmingham which I got an offer for. I only did this as a backup if I don't get my grades in August, especially worried about biology >.< I'm hoping to get A*AA, but I applied for a backup course if hypothetically I get A*AB (the B in the biology) So, do you guys think I should book my ukcat now? I'm thinking just to book it after my exams finish which is June 24th.

P.S. - At AS, I was 1 mark off an A in biology, so my teacher said not to retake the unit 2 module as I can make up for it at A2. But, I did my unit 4 biology exam in January for edexcel SNAB and got a D. >.< Never got a D in my life! But, the exam paper was really hard and you needed 54/90 for an A, what's worse is that the grade boundaries were 4 marks apart! So, I got 45/90 [I got my script back] which was equivalent to frickin' D. Lol. So, I'm retaking this unit which is on Monday and also doing unit 5. So, I know for sure I need quite high marks in both of these exams to ensure an A grade.

Hey, I got the bursary again and booked mine last month for Sep 17th.
Did you manage to get any interviews this yr? I can vaguely remember your username from somewhere:biggrin:
Original post by Jin3011
Hey, I got the bursary again and booked mine last month for Sep 17th.
Did you manage to get any interviews this yr? I can vaguely remember your username from somewhere:biggrin:

Haha, remember it from where? :P You may have just heard of the chemical - it's the chemical found in chocolate :wink:
Ahh okay, hmmm, do you think I should book mine considering my situation? :P Yup, I got two interviews this year, but didn't surpass the interview stage -.-
I got an interview at St.Georges [although doesn't really count because it's an automatic interview if you meet their minimum academic requirements] and got an interview at Liverpool, both in the same week as well. Haha
I had done so many mock interviews/one at my local hospital/one at school/one at this Imperial conference thing and they all went really really well. But, I guess in reality there's too much competition! :cool:

Wbu?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Ahh okay, hmmm, do you think I should book mine considering my situation? :P Yup, I got two interviews this year, but didn't surpass the interview stage -.-
I got an interview at St.Georges [although doesn't really count because it's an automatic interview if you meet their minimum academic requirements] and got an interview at Liverpool, both in the same week as well. Haha
I had done so many mock interviews/one at my local hospital/one at school/one at this Imperial conference thing and they all went really really well. But, I guess in reality there's too much competition! :cool:

Wbu?

I'd say book the ukcat incase things do go as planned.
But well done on getting that far this time around.
Damn Liverpool though, my GCSE's just weren't good enough for them:mad:
I really need to work on my interview technique. I had an uni interview for a medicine foundation year thing and they asked me why med, I just ended up looking at the wall behind them sayin 'errrm' about 4 times. My nerves always get the better of me:frown:

I remember you from the Liverpool med forum:cool:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest