The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becksiee26
ooh yes please, bare with me, will be about 20 minutes, just need to type it up!
Could you PM me your email address and I'll send it that way? x

see above post
Original post by antipesto93
Same, remind me of the question, and i can upload one aswell to compare

Question; Outline the role of genetic factors in aggressive behaviour (4)

and Outline and Evaluate one social psychological theory of aggression! (5+16)
Original post by sweet&petitee
ive never been good at giving grades & stuff, but i can have a look over it and stuff?

SENT :biggrin:
SENT :biggrin:

replying now :smile:
Original post by sweet&petitee
replying now :smile:

cheers! :biggrin:

Heyy, I just read them both and to be honest they both see fine! :biggrin:
cheers! :biggrin:

replied, hopefully its of some help!!
Hey, Quick question -
For factors affecting insomnia
- there is sleep aponea and personality
- does anyone have notes on just the personality stuff?
This is all i have:

Personality is one factor that dictates why not everyone gets insomnia

Vgontzas –demonstrated there is a link between insomnia and increase in stress hormones such as ACTH, This says, that for insomniacs, there is a disorder of hyperarousal in the CNS caused by overactivation of the HPA, leading to stress and aniety.

this means therapy should be based on decreasing psychological and emotional arousal, not just sleep (Assuming high stress hormones and CNS activity causes insomnia) < but that could be a effect not cause

bonnect and arand induced insomnia and found insomnia increased in line with poor sleep and fatigue, THIS supports the concept of anxious personalities being more susceptible to insomnia.

Pelissolo hypothesised serotonin activity related to sleep regulation, She showed insomniacs had more worry and harm avoidance that controls. And harm avoidance may be a marker for insomnia

Supported by ivers- study showed links between insomnia aand depression/anxirty,

or is that enough?
(bearing in mind it could be a 20/5 mark)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Awh! It's a shame evolutionary has been up before!

Someone has predicted group displays for aggression earlier, and logically it will be that or biological. I don't biological so fingers crossed for that.
It's a possibility evoltuonary could come up for gender, but maybe Gender dysphoria and androgyny? Some has also predicted cross cultural studies.

Original post by worthyg
Na-a. Evolutionary explanations, cross-cultural studies and androgyny/gender dysphoria never came up :smile:

Yeah sorry wasn't thinking :biggrin:
Original post by liamcol123
This sounds insanely useful, yes please? :smile:

Examples of Essay Titles for Unit 3 Psychology

1. Outline and evaluate psychological explanations of gender development. (25 marks)

2. (a) Discuss Martin and Halverson’s (1981) gender schema theory. (15 marks)
(b) Outline one explanation of gender dysphoria, including relevant research. (10 marks)

3. (a) Describe the role of genes in gender development. (9 marks)
(b) Discuss the role of hormones in gender development. (16 marks)

4. Discuss evolutionary explanations of gender roles. (25 marks)

5. Discuss the biosocial approach to gender development. (25 marks)

6. (a) Discuss how parents and peers may influence gender roles. (10 marks)
(b)Describe and discuss cross-cultural research into gender roles. (15 marks)

7. Discuss social influences on gender. (25 marks)

Perception
8. Describe and evaluate Gibson’s bottom up/direct theory of perception. (25 marks)

9. Describe and evaluate Gregory’s top down/indirect theory of perception. (25 marks)

10. (a) Outline two or more studies into the development of perceptual abilities. (9 marks)
(b) To what extent do such studies contribute to the nature-nurture debate in perception? (16 marks)

11. (a) Outline 2 explanations of prosopagnosia. (5 marks)
(b) Discuss Bruce and Young’s theory of face recognition. (4+16 marks)

Aggression
12. Outline and evaluate the social learning approach to explaining aggression.

13. Discuss explanations of institutional aggression. (25 marks)

14. Discuss biological explanations of aggression. (25 marks)

15. Discuss evolutionary explanations of aggression. (25 marks)

16. Discuss explanations of group display such as sports events and lynch mobs in humans (9 + 16)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 451
Hey, Quick question -
For factors affecting insomnia
- there is sleep aponea and personality
- does anyone have notes on just the personality stuff?
This is all i have:

or is that enough?
(bearing in mind it could be a 20/5 mark)

-I've a bit more for personality type - two types: larks (most alert in the morning) and owls (most alert in the evening) - these depend on our genetics and are controlled by body clocks
-neuroticism is positively correlated with insomnia

SOME EVALUATION POINTS FOR INSOMNIA:
-evidence comes from the effectivness of therapies - CBT & muscle relaxation techniques reduce anxiety and in effect reduce insomnia
-gender differences were not investigated in great detail (beta bias), but more women suffer insomnia
-you could criticise that biological approach is reductionist

Although, I doubt that that insomnia will be a 25marker on its own :smile:
Does anyone else get the urge to cry when they think of the Psychology exams?

Or am I alone? :o:

Lol, to be honest, at least we know the questions they ask, so there will be no 'shocks' in the exam :biggrin:

psychology seems to be the first thing i think of every time i wake up :angry:
Reply 454

Exactly the same, I'm doing both Unit 3 and 4 and need to get a B overall.. If not, my dreams are ruined and next year I am going to land in a ****ty uni in a ****ty town. so, yeah, pretty much stressed... with no motivation to properly revise.
Original post by worthyg
Exactly the same, I'm doing both Unit 3 and 4 and need to get a B overall.. If not, my dreams are ruined and next year I am going to land in a ****ty uni in a ****ty town. so, yeah, pretty much stressed... with no motivation to properly revise.

What is the ****ty uni?
What do you predict will come up for Relationships and Eating behaviour???
Original post by worthyg

Lol, to be honest, at least we know the questions they ask, so there will be no 'shocks' in the exam :biggrin:

psychology seems to be the first thing i think of every time i wake up :angry:

Haa, I need to get at least a B to get an A overall.
I think I'm just fed up of constantly memorising names and worrying about whether I have enough research.

You are right though, I'm comforted by the fact there will be no nasty surprises!
Reply 458
I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I'm doing aggression, eating disorders and relationships. Does anyone have an idea of what may be the most likely essay titles to come up for each? Thanks in advance.
Hey guys just wondering, for group displays of aggressions do we need to know lynch mobs AND sports crowds or could we just learn the one?

And is it just me or do Psychologists seem to have the most difficult names?....its like they do it on purpose to make revising studies a nightmare...lol :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending