The Student Room Group

To what extent are cinemas an oligopoly

I know they are an oligopoly due to

Bradnd loyalty - top four cinema chains have better cinema experience

non-price competition like different types of seating although the films are all the same

a high market concentration - vue, cineworld and odeon

Supernormal profits are made to fund multiplexes

High barriers to entry -> 3D film projectors and relationship with film distributors

Reply 1
:lolwut: You appear to have answered your own question.
Reply 2
Lol are you asking us or telling us? :curious:
Reply 3
Original post by Junaid16

LOOL this^
Reply 4
Original post by Junaid16

have i? 20 mark question

the question is:

using a leisure market of your choice, discuss the extent to which it may be considered an oligopoly
Reply 5
Original post by ajayhp
have i? 20 mark question

the question is:

using a leisure market of your choice, discuss the extent to which it may be considered an oligopoly

Ok so in that case you have 5 examples which means you state and explain each of the 5 reasons for 4 marks each. You don't need 20 reasons lol.
Original post by ajayhp
have i? 20 mark question

the question is:

So basically you just want TSR to agree with you so you know you;re on the right track?
Reply 7
Possible to discuss the trend for smaller/private cinemas to close down due to: people owning huge plasmas and able to re-create the cinema viewing experience in their own homes, falling price of DVD players/DVDs, illegal downloads, iTunes/Skyplayer etc. Other barriers include the requirement of being able to diversify -- Vue/Odeon and all that seem to have bowling alleys, arcades, restaurants/bars to change the 'cinema experience' from just going to watch a film only.
Reply 8
oww, ok i thought that to what extent would mean say to why it is, but may not be

thanks guys and gals
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
TO what extent means you have to give the reasons it is the reasons it isnt then you have to evaluate
anyone got any reasons why The TV maarket is not an oligoply
Reply 10
Original post by 02char
TO what extent means you have to give the reasons it is the reasons it isnt then you have to evaluate
anyone got any reasons why The TV maarket is not an oligoply

This is without a doubt the best answer in this thread.

All the actual content can be learned/copied from a book, but to get the high marks you actually have to evaluate.
Original post by ajayhp
I know they are an oligopoly due to

Bradnd loyalty - top four cinema chains have better cinema experience

non-price competition like different types of seating although the films are all the same

a high market concentration - vue, cineworld and odeon

Supernormal profits are made to fund multiplexes

High barriers to entry -> 3D film projectors and relationship with film distributors

Don't forget that cinema's discriminate their prices.... What does that tell you?
Reply 12
Original post by dan94adibi
Don't forget that cinema's discriminate their prices.... What does that tell you?

That students are poor?
Reply 13
Original post by dan94adibi

Thanks for the help, but this thread was created last year :smile:
can you copy your essay here please, i'm doing this essay now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending