The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

bsl interpreting foundation degree who else is going to do the course

hey was just wondering who else is planning to go to wolverhampton for bsl interpreting in 2011
:smile:
Reply 1
Me! :smile: I'm currently doing level 1. Received an unconditional offer a few days ago. Can't wait. Are you living in halls or commuting?
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Hello!
I'm thinking about doing it in 2012,

I can't find any other uni's other than bristol which do it!!

What Entry requirements do you guys have??? I don't know whether to do level 1 bsl as i do my a levels, and then do the foundation degree, or whether to do level 2 and have a year out, then do the interpreting degree straight up???

:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Hey @LemonCookie

I don't think there are many Universities that do the course, especially with the foundation year. My BSL tutor was explaining that Bristol provide to a lot of deaf students and that there's a large deaf student community in Bristol. I think University of Lancashire do a course? Annnd Leeds used to do an MA but I don't know if it's still running.

The entry requirements for Wolverhampton are here:

http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/Course.asp?code=IG002H01UVD&tab=entryreq#courseNav

I think it's 200 UCAS points through 2 or more A-levels. I've been doing my level 1 BSL this year and am going to do the foundation, I met a few people on the open day who had done Level 1 & 2 but were still doing the foundation degree to help with confidence and stuff like that.

The reason I chose to do the foundation degree rather than study level 2 was mainly because of the University fees going up next year, it seemed like the ideal opportunity to get in before they sky rocket (commiserations). It's an extra year to gain confidence and form friendship with other students though, plus the Level 2 course I was considering was still about £500, so I suppose it's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck! :smile:
Reply 4
hey I will be living in halls at Lomas street already got my deposit down, I've doing level 2 currently but still want to do foundation because seems like it will be more intensive than just level 2 with learning about deaf awareness and things. @ lemoncookie preston do a sign language degree as well but you have to have level 2 and it's asking for more ucas points than wolverhampton, can't remember how many though.
Original post by DeanOakley
Hey @LemonCookie

I don't think there are many Universities that do the course, especially with the foundation year. My BSL tutor was explaining that Bristol provide to a lot of deaf students and that there's a large deaf student community in Bristol. I think University of Lancashire do a course? Annnd Leeds used to do an MA but I don't know if it's still running.

The entry requirements for Wolverhampton are here:

http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/Course.asp?code=IG002H01UVD&tab=entryreq#courseNav

I think it's 200 UCAS points through 2 or more A-levels. I've been doing my level 1 BSL this year and am going to do the foundation, I met a few people on the open day who had done Level 1 & 2 but were still doing the foundation degree to help with confidence and stuff like that.

The reason I chose to do the foundation degree rather than study level 2 was mainly because of the University fees going up next year, it seemed like the ideal opportunity to get in before they sky rocket (commiserations). It's an extra year to gain confidence and form friendship with other students though, plus the Level 2 course I was considering was still about £500, so I suppose it's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck! :smile:

Thanks for your help - i went to the uni fayre at Aton uni in B'Ham the other week - had a chat with all the uni's and it's basically narrowed down to Wolvo or nothing ><" Nice to know my decision is made for me :| !!! My local college is charging £200 per BSL level, so i'm going to have to just do the foundation year. But hey at least i'll know exactly what i have to know to do the degree :smile:

Can't wait to see how popular the course is.
BTW got talking to a Wolvo uni and asked "What's the most common student complaint?" and they told me that they'd recently got rid of their student union because there were plenty of pubs out and about in the city.

Be warned!!!! :P
Reply 6
there getting a new union!! apparently anyways!!

i started the deaf studies and special needs degree last year with only a little bit of previous bsl knowledge and i did fine ( two A's for Bsl at end of year)

and believe me you wont be the worst there! so u can go straight into it rather than doing the foundation if u want!!
Reply 7
Hey im starting Social Care and Deaf Studies in Sept

where are you guys living??
Reply 8
hey i was just wondering how many of you are on yougofurther.co.uk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending