F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by intellectual1
Anyone else doing M2 and Bio on Monday?

I've got C4 then C4 comprehension, then Biology :frown:
Reply 861
Original post by lmfw
You need to remember there are four main stages and what bacteria is involved at each stage:

1. Nitrogen Fixation This is when nitrogen from the atmosphere is turned into ammonia by bacteria called RHIZOBIUM which are inside root rudoles of leguminous plants. They have a MUTUALISTIC reletaionship with the plant (the plant gives them carbohydrates for energy and they give the plant nitrogen compounds)

2. Ammonification This is when nitrogen compounds from dead organisms are turned into ammonium compounds by DECOMPOSERS

2. Nitrification This is when ammonium compounds are converted into Nitrites and Nitrates. There are two bacteria present at this stage:
NITROSOMONAS: these convert ammonium compounds into nitrites
NITROBACTER: these convert nitrites into nitrates

4. Denitrification This is when nitrates in the soil are converted into nitrogen gas by DENITRIFYING BACTERIA. The bacteria use the nitrates for respiration under anaerobic conditions. Hence in water-logged soils there is a lot of nitrogen because there's little oxygen for denitryfing bacteria.

Thanks for that, :smile:
I'm suuuure hoping meiosis doesn't come up :frown: .. So much to learn just in case it happens to be the 8 mark question :cry2:
Original post by Kidms001
I'm suuuure hoping meiosis doesn't come up :frown: .. So much to learn just in case it happens to be the 8 mark question :cry2:

I want it to come up though :P and yeah if it comes up, its gonna be either a few marks question saying what are the structures labeled A, B, C etc or its gonna be an essay on what happens and its significance in Variation
Original post by sportycricketer
I want it to come up though :P and yeah if it comes up, its gonna be either a few marks question saying what are the structures labeled A, B, C etc or its gonna be an essay on what happens and its significance in Variation

The variation stuff's okay, it's the process of making the haploid cells where you have to throw in words like homologous pairs and bivalents :rolleyes: .. I guess I'll just blag my way through it by putting in various key terms every now and again :rofl:
Original post by lmfw

C4 is'nt until 20th :confused: Woah now that's going to be a memorable day for you...C4 and Bio5:eek:

More likely to be a 9 mark essay if anything...its a huge topic...and it was'nt assessed much in past papers so far either...apparently the papers are written 18 months before the exam...there is just so much to know for Bio5, well at least its before Chem5 and C3!
I think the essay question has a high chance of being on plant growth substances.
Original post by Kidms001
The variation stuff's okay, it's the process of making the haploid cells where you have to throw in words like homologous pairs and bivalents :rolleyes: .. I guess I'll just blag my way through it by putting in various key terms every now and again :rofl:

tbf though meiosis will probably have quite a few marking points on the marking and all those AVPs :smile:
Reply 869
C4 is'nt until 20th :confused: Woah now that's going to be a memorable day for you...C4 and Bio5:eek:

I do MEI OCR though :smile: Hmm it could be worst I suppose! Immagine Chemistry and Biology on the same day!!
More likely to be a 9 mark essay if anything...its a huge topic...and it was'nt assessed much in past papers so far either...apparently the papers are written 18 months before the exam...there is just so much to know for Bio5, well at least its before Chem5 and C3!

Yeah I know they are and I suppose so but there might be simply a labelling the diagram. I think as much as I dont want to, there may be an essay on conservation and then relating it to Galapagos Islands. Are you reading over Conservation in situ or ex situ from last year??

Original post by lmfw
I do MEI OCR though :smile: Hmm it could be worst I suppose! Immagine Chemistry and Biology on the same day!!

Even though that would be a nightmare, I would to get it over and done with on one day :P
Reply 871
Original post by lmfw

Me too! Its going to be a long day... But at least we get to leave as soon as we've finished the comprehension :smile:

I'm not sure how prepared I am for this exam - when I read through it, I feel like I know it, and I'm doing questions and I know how to answer them, but then I come on here and I feel like I know nothing! Although I have practically filled an A4 notebook with notes on everything. I've basically done my own textbook. But thats only cause I learn by writing it all down and making sense of it that way.
tbf though meiosis will probably have quite a few marking points on the marking and all those AVPs :smile:

Yep.. But revision of meiosis has just been made a whole lot more bearable with the arrival of £30 through the post for no apparent reason :sexface: .. Hell, maybe now I'll understand it :rofl:
Reply 873
Original post by lmfw
You need to remember there are four main stages and what bacteria is involved at each stage:

1. Nitrogen Fixation This is when nitrogen from the atmosphere is turned into ammonia by bacteria called RHIZOBIUM which are inside root rudoles of leguminous plants. They have a MUTUALISTIC reletaionship with the plant (the plant gives them carbohydrates for energy and they give the plant nitrogen compounds)

2. Ammonification This is when nitrogen compounds from dead organisms are turned into ammonium compounds by DECOMPOSERS

2. Nitrification This is when ammonium compounds are converted into Nitrites and Nitrates. There are two bacteria present at this stage:
NITROSOMONAS: these convert ammonium compounds into nitrites
NITROBACTER: these convert nitrites into nitrates

4. Denitrification This is when nitrates in the soil are converted into nitrogen gas by DENITRIFYING BACTERIA. The bacteria use the nitrates for respiration under anaerobic conditions. Hence in water-logged soils there is a lot of nitrogen because there's little oxygen for denitryfing bacteria.

Thank you very much!!! :smile:
Reply 874
Original post by twelve
Me too! Its going to be a long day... But at least we get to leave as soon as we've finished the comprehension :smile:

I'm not sure how prepared I am for this exam - when I read through it, I feel like I know it, and I'm doing questions and I know how to answer them, but then I come on here and I feel like I know nothing! Although I have practically filled an A4 notebook with notes on everything. I've basically done my own textbook. But thats only cause I learn by writing it all down and making sense of it that way.

Aww i'm sure it'll be fine! In a way i'm glad it's C4 that clashes because I find it easier than C3 and with maths it's more practice than revision so if you get all the practice done you have enough time to revise for the other subject. But this module is HUGE. I feel I know like about 60-70% of the spec well. Some topics like DRD4, conservation and all the Galapagos stuff just do not sink in!!
Original post by lmfw
Aww i'm sure it'll be fine! In a way i'm glad it's C4 that clashes because I find it easier than C3 and with maths it's more practice than revision so if you get all the practice done you have enough time to revise for the other subject. But this module is HUGE. I feel I know like about 60-70% of the spec well. Some topics like DRD4, conservation and all the Galapagos stuff just do not sink in!!

Pure Maths is far easier than Mechanics! You actually have to think in Mechanics...Pure Maths for some reason is much more straightforward as the practice questions tend to be very similar...the same can't be said of Mechanics...especially in the most recent M1 paper..hmmm

Biology requires a near photographic memory to retain all the information...although one thing is clear...it will be an easier paper than Jan11...
what are then chances that transects come up??
Reply 877
Can anyone explain this point of the specification:
"Evaluate the experimental evidence for the role of auxins in the control of apical dominane and the role of gibberellin in the control of stem elongation"

Also, when talking about auxins and apical dominance do we just have to say when the tip is removed, auxin concentrations in the shoot drops and the buds grow because auxins normally inhibit growth of side shoots?

OR do we have to mention about abscisic acid inhibiting bud growth and high concentrations of auxin keeping concentrations of auxin high so when auxin is removed abscisic acid levels drop so buds grow?

This is page 224 of the OCR textbook
Original post by lmfw
Some topics like DRD4, conservation and all the Galapagos stuff just do not sink in!!

I think our teacher forgot about DRD4 :s-smilie: .. Either that or I have :rofl:
Original post by aquarius00
what are then chances that transects come up??

Not particularly I don't think but they might say how could you work out the abundance of a particular species in an area and its gonna be a part of that :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending