The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Archaeology in 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
This may be a bit late now, but I've applied for Archaeology at Bristol, Winchester, Worcester, Lampeter and Chester. I've received offers from all 5, but my only definite choice is Bristol.

I'm so nervous about the course, especially as I'm the only person I know applying for Archaeology. Most people seem to mistake it for architecture :/
Original post by gingerr
This may be a bit late now, but I've applied for Archaeology at Bristol, Winchester, Worcester, Lampeter and Chester. I've received offers from all 5, but my only definite choice is Bristol.

I'm so nervous about the course, especially as I'm the only person I know applying for Archaeology. Most people seem to mistake it for architecture :/

I am also firming Bristol for archaeology :smile: I can't wait to start!! I'm hoping they are going to have a post-offer open day or something, but i've not heard anything yet!
Reply 102
I'm sorry to say this but I'm fairly sure they've already had one. I couldn't make it, so I'm afraid I'm no help.

I went on a tour of the campus last year though, and it really is brilliant :biggrin: accommodation is quite nice too (:
Original post by Pink_butterfly
Is anyone going to Bristol for archaeology?? I finally got my offer last week after 4 months of waiting :biggrin:

Congrats :smile: Bristol is my insurance so i might see you, but my firm is UCL and I'd be very surprised if I didn't meet my offer for that (devastated in fact). I think i'd probably not go to uni at all and retake my exams xD.
Reply 104
Has anyone else firmed Southampton for BA Archaeology?

I cannot find anyone else who has. Hope I won't be the only one there...
Original post by KatieRhiannon

Original post by KatieRhiannon
Congrats :smile: Bristol is my insurance so i might see you, but my firm is UCL and I'd be very surprised if I didn't meet my offer for that (devastated in fact). I think i'd probably not go to uni at all and retake my exams xD.

Love for UCL :five: :wink:
(I know what you mean, if I didn't get ABB I think I might have to re-evaluate my life slightly!)
Reply 106
Original post by YogaintheWoods

Excavations wise, I went to Piddington, Northamptonshire for two weeks and had a great time with the Upper Nene Archaeological Society and here's a link to their website if you were interested - http://www.unas.org.uk/magazine/magview.php?ID=8&date=0910
I'll be going back this year so if you wanted to come I could help/provide valuable info?
QUOTE]

Hi I actually live in Northampton so I'd definately be i nterested in getting some experience at Piddington, what kind of things would I need to know before I went on one of their excavations?

You wouldn't need to know anything, I turned up last year as a complete beginner and spent two weeks trowling, mattocking and finds sorting and basically a baptism of fire in that respect, but it's open to everyone experts and amatures alike.
People from year 9 up to 60 turn up!

Seriously come along - fill out the form, even if its for a day - or a week or two!
I'll be there from the 15th Aug to the 25th so I can meet you if its a bit daunting.. and lost, because its a bit of a trek away from the main road lol
Well my brave advance towards the ABB starts on Friday...

With an AQA History Exam (God damn you AQA and your 60 year long periods with stupid amounts of detail!!!)

...and then... oh dear, taking subjects im not naturally strong at. Ahwell, two B's at maths and physics it is then :wink:
Original post by HampshireDave

Well my brave advance towards the ABB starts on Friday...

With an AQA History Exam (God damn you AQA and your 60 year long periods with stupid amounts of detail!!!)

...and then... oh dear, taking subjects im not naturally strong at. Ahwell, two B's at maths and physics it is then :wink:

Oh god oh god oh god history :cry:

What period/country are you doing? I'm on AQA too. Writing two essays in an hour and a half is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Oh god oh god oh god history :cry:

What period/country are you doing? I'm on AQA too. Writing two essays in an hour and a half is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

It's fun! I actually enjoy it... hehe :biggrin:

I'm doing Triumph of Elizabeth, which isn't too bad.

Need just a high B in this exam, got an A for Unification of Germany (the most boring period I HAVE EVER DONE) and... oops a B in the Norman Conquest (yeah I crapped the bed, I read my paper over and just shook my head in shame, I wrote worse than I did in Year 10!)

BUUUTTT my personal study thing I've an A* with a mighty 57/60 marks (UMS I have no idea)

Anyway, what period are you doing?
It's fun! I actually enjoy it... hehe :biggrin:

I'm doing Triumph of Elizabeth, which isn't too bad.

Need just a high B in this exam, got an A for Unification of Germany (the most boring period I HAVE EVER DONE) and... oops a B in the Norman Conquest (yeah I crapped the bed, I read my paper over and just shook my head in shame, I wrote worse than I did in Year 10!)

BUUUTTT my personal study thing I've an A* with a mighty 57/60 marks (UMS I have no idea)

Anyway, what period are you doing?

Germany Divided and Reunited 1945-1991 - do you pity me yet? :p: it's kind of interesting in some places but learning it for the exam is awwfuuul.

Haha nicely done :wink: our coursework marks are being kept a secret from us, I have no idea why. Got promised it would be an A but god knows what will happen when it gets moderated, plus one of my teachers hated it and the other loved it. Hopefully last year might bump me up a bit, managed 100 in my 1800s Britain module somehow and 85 in Nazi Germany. No idea why my school likes bloody Germany so much :colonhash:

I'm jealous of your topics, they sound so much more diverse than ours. Aside from our britain module and the first half of 1850-1950 russia coursework I haven't done anything that isn't post-1900 since year 8 :frown:
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Germany Divided and Reunited 1945-1991 - do you pity me yet? :p: it's kind of interesting in some places but learning it for the exam is awwfuuul.

Haha nicely done :wink: our coursework marks are being kept a secret from us, I have no idea why. Got promised it would be an A but god knows what will happen when it gets moderated, plus one of my teachers hated it and the other loved it. Hopefully last year might bump me up a bit, managed 100 in my 1800s Britain module somehow and 85 in Nazi Germany. No idea why my school likes bloody Germany so much :colonhash:

I'm jealous of your topics, they sound so much more diverse than ours. Aside from our britain module and the first half of 1850-1950 russia coursework I haven't done anything that isn't post-1900 since year 8 :frown:

Let's say I was lazy last year...

Anyway yes I pity you entirely!

I know Germany was relatively important, but it makes you wonder why the education system wants us to learn more about the sodding Germans than us English.

RUSSIA COURSEWORK!?!!? I'm very glad mine was on the Stuart period! (in fact it gives me more ammo for Late Elizabeth Essays) Seems a common theme Germans and Russian, at least that's the impression I get on here.

My College is scrapping the Normandy course next year though, maybe because its marked very harshly. And guess what they're doing... Germany 1945-1991.

Let's say I was lazy last year...

Anyway yes I pity you entirely!

I know Germany was relatively important, but it makes you wonder why the education system wants us to learn more about the sodding Germans than us English.

RUSSIA COURSEWORK!?!!? I'm very glad mine was on the Stuart period! (in fact it gives me more ammo for Late Elizabeth Essays) Seems a common theme Germans and Russian, at least that's the impression I get on here.

My College is scrapping the Normandy course next year though, maybe because its marked very harshly. And guess what they're doing... Germany 1945-1991.

Ahaha, the fools! Am just casually evaluating the success of agriculture and industry in the GDR and trying to ignore the fact that there is a festival just down the road :frown:

I wonder too. At least at my school I think it's just cos we did modern history at GCSE, so that was rise of the Nazis and cold war and they could just teach us the same thing in more detail. Basically, laziness, though my teacher's scrapped nazi germany AS now because he was bored...and replaced it with Russia :rolleyes:

Have to say though, glad our offers are ABB, I think if it was any higher my stress levels would be through the roof.
Probs a bit late as well! But I am too applying for Archaeolgy.
Orginally, I applied to Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton, Belfast and Lampeter and was desperete to go to Southampton and at the last minute put down Bristol as firm. I am praying that I get in :smile:
xxx
Reply 114
Also a late reply!
Applied to Bournemouth, UCLAN, Dundee, Exeter and York.
Have firmed York to do a BSc in BioArchaeology, 32 points and less than 2 weeks til results ! :s-smilie:
Bournemouth as insurance.
Original post by ccasem11
You wouldn't need to know anything, I turned up last year as a complete beginner and spent two weeks trowling, mattocking and finds sorting and basically a baptism of fire in that respect, but it's open to everyone experts and amatures alike.
People from year 9 up to 60 turn up!

Seriously come along - fill out the form, even if its for a day - or a week or two!
I'll be there from the 15th Aug to the 25th so I can meet you if its a bit daunting.. and lost, because its a bit of a trek away from the main road lol

Thanks :smile: I'll be there for the first week so I expect I'll just have to work it out myself :biggrin: hopefully won't be wondering aimlessly around Piddington looking for the dig!
Reply 116
Where do you guys (especially those of you already at uni) advise for archaeology? What are some schools with better programs than others? I'm not from the UK, so I'm trying to figure all of this out from far away, and no one I know can really help from personal experience.
Reply 117
I've an unconditional offer from Exeter :smile:
Anyone chose Exeter as their Firm or Insurance?
Reply 118
I have an unconditional offer from Manchester! :smile: Is anyone else going to Manchester?

Good luck to all of you who are waiting for exam results :smile: I know how you feel as I had to go through that last year.
Original post by portugueseninja
I do Archaeology at Cardiff already, but I just wanted to come in and give you a *high five*

I'm considering aplying to Cardiff, what was your offer and how is the course?

Quick Reply

Latest