The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fortunecookie
Thanks. I found it in the end. Couldn't find it because it was hidden behind about 5 spoilers! Did you post it before?

I did indeed :wink: :biggrin:

Remember, scribd is your friend when it comes to past papers and mark scheme :tongue:
Reply 901
In the chain termination method could you get a strand in which no modified nucleotide is added?

E.g.

Say the sequence was: A G C A T G T C T A

and the primer would bind to 1st three so the primer would be T C G and the modified nucleotide was A*

then you would have the following complementary sequences:

T C G T A*
T C G T A C A*
T C G T A C A G A*
T C G T A C A G A T <-------------- would you still get this one?
Reply 902
Original post by M_I
In the chain termination method could you get a strand in which no modified nucleotide is added?

E.g.

Say the sequence was: A G C A T G T C T A

and the primer would bind to 1st three so the primer would be T C G and the modified nucleotide was A*

then you would have the following complementary sequences:

T C G T A*
T C G T A C A*
T C G T A C A G A*
T C G T A C A G A T <-------------- would you still get this one?

Doesn't matter, would be ignored by the automated sequencer machine as no light would shine through.
Reply 903
What do you guys think the perfect descriptions for these terms would be?

Sucession
Climax Community
Also, how can you distinguish between conservation and preservation?

thanks x
in the section about decomposers recycling nitrogen, do we need to know anything about leaching?

Edit: to the person who repped me- is that a yes?
(edited 12 years ago)
How much revision is everybody doing each day?
And how much have you got through so far, iv still got the whole of biotechnology(module 2 in heinemann book)!!
Can i get this done by Saturday??
Original post by lmfw
What do you guys think the perfect descriptions for these terms would be?

Sucession
Climax Community
Also, how can you distinguish between conservation and preservation?

thanks x

The perfect definition of succession would have to be the one OCR use:
- Succession is the directional change in a community of organisms over time.

Again, from the OCR book:
- The climax community can be the name given to the final, most stable community reached.

I think conservation and preservation has been done before on this thread. However, conservation is also in the OCR glossary, so definitely learn that:
- Conservation is the maintenance of biodiversity, including diversity within species, genetic diversity within species and maintenance of a variety of habitats and ecosystems :s-smilie:

Preservation is when the area is kept exactly as it is (as opposed to active management which is conservation). So there's no interference from the outside. :tongue:
Reply 907
Original post by sickofexamz
And how much have you got through so far, iv still got the whole of biotechnology(module 2 in heinemann book)!!

I'm just about managing 7/8 hours a day and almost finished with this Unit, just need to patch up a few of the spec points. I think it took me a full day to revise Biotechnology properly. Start early tomorrow and you should have it done by the end of the day?
Reply 908
Original post by Kidms001

- The climax community can be the name given to the final, most stable community reached.

I think conservation and preservation has been done before on this thread. However, conservation is also in the OCR glossary, so definitely learn that:
- Conservation is the maintenance of biodiversity, including diversity within species, genetic diversity within species and maintenance of a variety of habitats and ecosystems :s-smilie:

Preservation is when the area is kept exactly as it is (as opposed to active management which is conservation). So there's no interference from the outside. :tongue:

Okey, thanks a lot!

i started revising for my exams on monday (they're next week). so far for biology i have done: cellular control, meiosis and variation, cloning in plants and animals, biotechnology, genomes and gene technology and ecosystems. just got population, plant responses, animal responses and animal behaviour left. going to finish it by 5pm today. the way i'm revising is making notes on each section and then answering questions on that section. going to start doing past papers on saturday.

you can definitely finish one section in about an hour and a half, especially cos biotechnology is really short. :smile:
Original post by lmfw
I'm just about managing 7/8 hours a day and almost finished with this Unit, just need to patch up a few of the spec points. I think it took me a full day to revise Biotechnology properly. Start early tomorrow and you should have it done by the end of the day?

Is that on Biology alone? :lolwut: .. I'm just about managing 4-5 hours for all my subjects :tongue:

See above, but it's never too late to revise. Getting biotech done by Saturday should be easy :yep:

Original post by lmfw
Okey, thanks a lot!

Welcome! :smile:
Original post by lmfw

Wow that was quick, yea i'll do that but i think I'm going to start now instead. I'm absolutely dreading this exam, there is way to much content. Have you finished revising the other modules?
Reply 912

Do you mean definitions from the endorsed by OCR Heinemann book or definitions from the exam board?
Original post by M_I
Do you mean definitions from the endorsed by OCR Heinemann book or definitions from the exam board?

The ones endorsed by OCR. Surely if they are endorsed by OCR, then they are the correct ones (or so my teacher likes to bang on about) :biggrin:

Do the exam board print their own definitions? :s-smilie:
Reply 914
Wow that was quick, yea i'll do that but i think I'm going to start now instead. I'm absolutely dreading this exam, there is way to much content. Have you finished revising the other modules?

Try and cover as much ground as you can today but i'd say Module 2 hasn't really got as much ground as the other modules it's just remember the steps of the techniques that takes the most work (PCR, automated sequencing, genetic engineering)
Nahh if still got about 2 days worth of revising left! It's annoying how only a third of this exam is re-call :frown:
Reply 915
The ones endorsed by OCR. Surely if they are endorsed by OCR, then they are the correct ones (or so my teacher likes to bang on about) :biggrin:

Do the exam board print their own definitions? :s-smilie:

I thiink that if you look on the OCR C.D. there's a document that has all the definitions (at least it did for F211/F212. But i've lost mine :tongue:
This revision will have to wait for after my exam tomorrow unfortunately. I'll miss you f215 (not)
Original post by lmfw
Try and cover as much ground as you can today but i'd say Module 2 hasn't really got as much ground as the other modules it's just remember the steps of the techniques that takes the most work (PCR, automated sequencing, genetic engineering)
Nahh if still got about 2 days worth of revising left! It's annoying how only a third of this exam is re-call :frown:

I know tell me about it. Well thats good then as i've covered the other modules and after doing biotechnology I can go through them again. I will be so happy when this is all over! 'torture':frown:
Reply 918
i hattteee the genetics part of this module :frown:
Some of the questions are really quite confusing!
I need 87 UMS for an A.. so fingers crossed :smile:!
Reply 919
I made a load of quizes here: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/search?q_sl=%2C&q=F215&go=
You might find them useful, might not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending