The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxmatt
They have consistently asked 2 applied questions on every ethics paper so far, so leaving it out commits you to do the other two questions, which depending how comfortable you are with them could be a bad move.

That said I have no plans to answer an applied question ... but I'm preparing anyway because you never know.

i thought there's only been one applied question on every paper :/ i was going to miss out environment and just do business !

also, you couldn't help with philosophy could you.. ? how likely would you say it is that life after death and religious experience, and possibly religious language are going to come up on monday ? i know it's risky but i'm completely leaving out revelation of scripture and attributes of god, even though i think those two topics will definitely be up, i just can't answer on them !

so i'm going to be limited to at the very worst 2 questions, which i'm hoping will be one of the three topics i've just mentioned. just wondering what you think about this ? i guessed last year and it paid off, but i really want to keep my a* soo i don't want to take too many risks ! i think it could just be an act of insane risk taking to not even look at the miracles topic, just to cover my bases, but any insight on this would be appreciated :smile: i'm soo scared i'm going to fail ! parents are really counting on me keeping my a*, especially seen as they got me a tutor for added insurance !
Original post by xbabycakes
I'm totally not going to get all my revision done by monday.

I was wondering though, for those who are taking both of them, any idea which paper comes first?

i'm pretty sure it's philosophy
Original post by xbabycakes
I am indeed, seeing as this is the thread for it :') Thanks for the info.

lol - just wasn't sure which in particular as there are diff specifications like Buddhism and Judaism etc
oh how i wish RS had coursework.

preferably ethics.
How likely is miracle to come up in philosophy? I think it's about the only topic I'm reasonably comfortable in :frown:
So does this mean that both sexual ethics and business/environment ethics are guaranteed to come up? Could I get away with revising EVERYTHING apart from business/environment ethics?
Original post by philly.tidd
So does this mean that both sexual ethics and business/environment ethics are guaranteed to come up? Could I get away with revising EVERYTHING apart from business/environment ethics?

I've just looked at some past papers, and sexual ethics and business/environment ethics have both come up. However, there have never been two questions on business/environment ethics on one exam.
Original post by Forever a Gnome
How likely is miracle to come up in philosophy? I think it's about the only topic I'm reasonably comfortable in :frown:

i was thinking it would be more likely be religious experience which comes up, they don't seem to both come up at once, but i'm not entirely sure on this :/ might cover them both to be save !
Original post by Ineluctable
I've just looked at some past papers, and sexual ethics and business/environment ethics have both come up. However, there have never been two questions on business/environment ethics on one exam.

This ! it's either business ethics or environment which comes up, not both.. so glad it wasn't just me who thought this ! but sexual ethics has come up every year so may be a good idea to know this one over the business and environment topics, in answer to the person who asked whether they could leave out applied ethics.
Reply 349
Hey guys,
Can someone define the Freud's super-ego, ego and id for me? I don't really get the textbook's definitions. :/
Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by Ineluctable
You have got the right stuff down. Bear in mind revelation came up in January 2011 and it is only a small part of the specification. I would be surprised if it came up on this exam.

Thanks, and I know, it would just be sods law that if I didn't learn it, it'd come up :smile:
Original post by Anna Louise
i was thinking it would be more likely be religious experience which comes up, they don't seem to both come up at once, but i'm not entirely sure on this :/ might cover them both to be save !

Yeah I'm trying to cover everything before Monday, think I'll be having a couple of all-nighters :/
Original post by emilylikeeee
Please help me with revelations!
I'm really confused about it all. This is what I can deduce from it. Could someone please read it, and let me know if I'm on the right track and if I'm missing anything important? Also any more evaluative ideas would be great.... THANK YOU :smile:

If we assume that the Biblical revelations were special revelations, in which way was the information revealed? In philosophy there are two ways in which people understand revelation from God- propositional and non-propositional. Often people hold these views at the same time saying that the Bible is a propositional revelation and other experiences are non propositional revelations.
Propositional revelation
This is when facts are revealed about God. The Bible is seen in this light traditionally, as God revealed info about himself to the writers. Statements of fact are revealed and there is no need for interpretation. The facts revealed cannot be proved by human reasoning.
Evaluating propositional revelation:
This view holds that the recipient is passive and simply receives the information. Some agree, saying the mind is never truly passive and we have to actively accept knowledge.
BUT God is omnipotent- regardless of if we passively accept the info, he must be able to impart it
The mind can be passive eg. In hypnosis
It’s hard to know if a propositional revelation is true and genuine
BUT Aquinas says we can accept revelations as genuine if they fit the teachings of the church
Different religions claim different propositional revelations, and these claims conflict
BUT maybe God is revealing different pieces of the puzzle to each person
Non-propositional revelation
This type of revelation is when God does not reveal facts about himself during revelation, and instead reveals himself in experiences eg. Seeing God in a sunset- We deduce his nature from these experiences. Paley saw the human eye as a non-propositional revelation which revealed info about the creation by God. If the Bible is taken in this light, it means that scripture is meant symbolically and we must accept the writers used metaphors to convey truths. We must interpret what is meant, the Bible is only people’s perceptions of what has happened. Humans are free to respond to these revelations since they are not received passively
Evaluating non-propositional revelation:
These revelations are not infallible since they require interpretation of events; it’s not as simple as a straightforward fact being revealed.
The content of revelation is not constant EG not everyone looks at the human eye and feels it to be a revelation from God
Religious faith based solely on non-propositional revelation from God cannot claim absolute certainty about its belief system since it’s all based on interpretation.

Yup :smile: That's how I think about this topic as well.

Try and use the words divinely dictated and divinely inspired as well for technical language.

A belief in propositional revelation suggests that the Bible is divinely dictated - God reveals the message to a passive writer who records it word for word.

Non-propositional revelation - divinely inspired - the author is inspired by God to write the Bible, but it is not divinely dictated :smile:
IM REALLY STRESSING ABOUT MONDAY!

Basically i'm really not confident about religious experience and my teacher has gone away and no one can help me! Could anyyyyoneee explain it to me??
Also i really dont get Tillich's sign and symbol section in religious language. Im not sure what he means by "being itself" and the whole "symbols are dynamic" thing. can anyone help me??

THANK YOOU X
Original post by Kar09
Hey guys,
Can someone define the Freud's super-ego, ego and id for me? I don't really get the textbook's definitions. :/
Thank you in advance. :smile:

Freud believed that there were three parts to the human psyche: the id, ego and super-ego

The id refers to our unconscious desires, and is all about pleasure-seeking

The ego is almost like a front that we put on for society, in order to cover up our true desires and to conform to society. It tries to create a balance between our inner-desires and reality, and often represses our id.

The super-ego is formed as a result of this repression and feeling of disapproval from society. This is split into two parts: the ego ideal and the conscience.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 355
Two questions:

1.) Can someone please explain which topic that the textbook refers to as "revelation" comes under in the exam? It's all the non-propositional stuff and divine inspiration - I think it's religious experience? Might be wrong :s-smilie:

2.) IS it guaranteed that both applied ethics questions will come up (As in the exam board will have 2 questions of it in every paper)? Or is it just coincidence that has happened thus far? I'm wanting to gamble and not revise them, but common sense is that I should do at least one. (Sexual ethics imo is easier)

Thanks for any help. :smile:
Does anyone think I could get away with not looking at the Attributes of God topic and the Business ethics topic?
Original post by Ideal.
Two questions:

1.) Can someone please explain which topic that the textbook refers to as "revelation" comes under in the exam? It's all the non-propositional stuff and divine inspiration - I think it's religious experience? Might be wrong :s-smilie:

2.) IS it guaranteed that both applied ethics questions will come up (As in the exam board will have 2 questions of it in every paper)? Or is it just coincidence that has happened thus far? I'm wanting to gamble and not revise them, but common sense is that I should do at least one. (Sexual ethics imo is easier)

Thanks for any help. :smile:

1) chapter 13. revelation and holy scripture, it's short though because it's just one bullet point under religious experience on the syllabus
2) Nothing is guaranteed unfortunately. but there will most defs be at least one question on ethics because the exam board thinks it's really important (read it in exam reports from last year) but it's probs wise to be really confident on the non-applied ethics topics just in case..
I'm crapping it this year for philosophy and ethics...so much is riding on this one subject :frown:
Also, could someone clarify;

For the ethics paper, there are four questions. Two of these four will be applied ethics, so that means they will be enviro, business and sexual. The other two will then be out of Meta ethics, Conscience, Virtue and Freewill/Determinism?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending