The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lmfw
I made a load of quizes here: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/search?q_sl=%2C&q=F215&go=
You might find them useful, might not :smile:

These are really great, thank you! +rep :biggrin:
Except they remind me how little I actually know...
Original post by Kidms001
I did indeed :wink: :biggrin:

Remember, scribd is your friend when it comes to past papers and mark scheme :tongue:

Sneaky :wink:

Ahh, I normally use xtremepapers. It scribd like a user uploaded thing? I hadn't come across it before :colondollar:
Reply 922
Original post by Princess_perfect786
in the section about decomposers recycling nitrogen, do we need to know anything about leaching?

Edit: to the person who repped me- is that a yes?

nahh u dont , check the specification and work with the specification..
Original post by lmfw
I made a load of quizes here: http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/search?q_sl=%2C&q=F215&go=

+1 :h:

Really helpful quiz since it shows up my weaknesses well. 84% on M1, 94% on M2. 87% on ecosystem and probably a big fat ZERO for M4 since Ive not even looked at it.

Can anyone tell me the different between TRANSGENIC VS. RECOMBINANT? :confused:
Should we expect there to be more emphasis on PLANT BIOLOGY? Since F211 January was based on Plants mostly...and Examiners Report cited that Plant Biology caused difficulities....and there has'nt ever been much Plant Biology on F215...there is in Ecosytems...Responding to the Environment...the Animal Bio Brain/Nerves content featured in Jan11...but the Plant Bio did'nt...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 925
Original post by intellectual1
Should we expect there to be more emphasis on PLANT BIOLOGY? Since F211 January was based on Plants mostly...and Examiners Report cited that Plant Biology caused difficulities....and there has'nt ever been much Plant Biology on F215...there is in Ecosytems...Responding to the Environment...the Animal Bio Brain/Nerves content featured in Jan11...but the Plant Bio did'nt...

I would say that's a fair point. I sat the May 2011 F211 and there was little of plants, only about a tenth of the total marks. I don't remember there being anything on plants so far from the F215 papers? Oh dear :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DontPropositionMe

Can anyone tell me the different between TRANSGENIC VS. RECOMBINANT? :confused:

A bacteria is transgenic when it has recombinant plasmid in it.. makes sense? :smile:
Original post by lmfw
I would say that's a fair point. I sat the May 2011 F211 and there was little of plants, only about a sixth of the total marks. I don't remember there being anything on plants so far from the F215 papers? Oh dear :frown:

F215 Papers won't be completely assessing the specification until Jan 13 session...meaning this is the third paper...so alot of the content has'nt featured...we have'nt had much if at all any Plant Biologyat all...

Look carefully at the F215 Past Papers...there is mostly Animal Bio but almost no Plant questions... hmmm remember what candidates find challenging tends to be put into papers...and Plants really took people by suprise in Jan11...so there would be every reason for them to shift focus to Plants in F215 as a suprise perhaps? :rolleyes:
Original post by sportycricketer
A bacteria is transgenic when it has recombinant plasmid in it.. makes sense? :smile:

So it's not two separate things then? When E.Coli is modified to synthesise insulin it becomes transgenic whereas the DNA that allows for the protein to be expressed is described as recombinant?

Hi btw :tongue:
Reply 929
Original post by lmfw

I'm just doing some of your quizes, much thanks for making them aha. I'm fairly happy with biology now tbh.

One thing - I thought homeobox genes weren't similar in animals, fungi and plants? Animals have homologous homeobox genes with each other, but not homologous to plants, and vice versa?
Reply 930
F215 Papers won't be completely assessing the specification until Jan 13 session...meaning this is the third paper...so alot of the content has'nt featured...we have'nt had much if at all any Plant Biologyat all...

Look carefully at the F215 Past Papers...there is mostly Animal Bio but almost no Plant questions... hmmm remember what candidates find challenging tends to be put into papers...and Plants really took people by suprise in Jan11...so there would be every reason for them to shift focus to Plants in F215 as a suprise perhaps? :rolleyes:

True true, definitely makes sense to revise it loads! If it wasn't the most boring bit :tongue:

Would you say Jan11 had a lot of Module 2 content? I think we'll have a lot more application questions in our exam though :frown:
Reply 931
Original post by Kaph
I'm just doing some of your quizes, much thanks for making them aha. I'm fairly happy with biology now tbh.

One thing - I thought homeobox genes weren't similar in animals, fungi and plants? Animals have homologous homeobox genes with each other, but not homologous to plants, and vice versa?

The spec point states: "explain that genes that control development of body plans are similar in plants, animals and fungi" :smile:
Reply 932
Original post by lmfw
The spec point states: "explain that genes that control development of body plans are similar in plants, animals and fungi" :smile:

I literally hate my textbook.
Original post by DontPropositionMe
So it's not two separate things then? When E.Coli is modified to synthesise insulin it becomes transgenic whereas the DNA that allows for the protein to be expressed is described as recombinant?

Hi btw :tongue:

Yeah exactly that :smile: and why are hiing me :rolleyes: haha
Reply 934
Original post by Kaph
I literally hate my textbook.

Don't worry, Homeobox stuff came up in June 2010 (Q2) so quite unlikely to come up again :smile:
Reply 935
Original post by lmfw
Don't worry, Homeobox stuff came up in June 2010 (Q2) so quite unlikely to come up again :smile:

Aha, hopefully. I thought I was okay with genes, but the textbook I have is literally *******s. Like I went through it with the spec and made a good 30double-sided pages of notes simply so I wouldn't have to look at the textbook again, aha.
Original post by lmfw

I've not been through the papers yet...but you obviously have....have you seen much Plant Biology content? Then we can assume we're in for at least one question on Plant Bio...also I recall in Jan11 there was a question on labelling the Brain and the Muscle comparisons...and Flight Fight stuff...all out of the textbook...and no amount of past paper preparation from legacy would've helped much since...it was all entirely from the book....but the book is very difficult to read and makes you want to sleep...especially with the Plant Bio content
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sportycricketer
Yeah exactly that :smile: and why are hiing me :rolleyes: haha

I can hi you if I want :hmmm:

(Thanks for explaining BTW, off to revise plant bio now cos I feel it might come up!)
Reply 938
Original post by lmfw

I think I've worked out what it means.

Plants/animals/fungi all use homeobox genes, but the homeobox genes themselves are different between plants and animals etc. Like you can use the homebox gene to develop an eye from a mouse, and put it in a fruit fly's wing and an eye will develop in the wing, but if you put it in a plant you probably wouldn't develop an eye.

I hope.
Reply 939
I've not been through the papers yet...but you obviously have....have you seen much Plant Biology content? Then we can assume we're in for at least one question on Plant Bio...also I recall in Jan11 there was a question on labelling the Brain and the Muscle comparisons...and Flight Fight stuff...all out of the textbook...and no amount of past paper preparation from legacy would've helped much since...it was all entirely from the book....but the book is very difficult to read and makes you want to sleep...especially with the Plant Bio content

Just realized - In June 2010 there was a whole question on plant stuff worth 10 marks. "Explain why plants need to respond to their environment", Effects of Gibberellins/Abscisic acid and two marks for the commercial uses of plant growth substances.

Surely that only leaves role of hormones in leaf loss and role of auxins left to be examined on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending