The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3520
Original post by Straight up G
Maybe 6, including general studies :eek: But nah, I'm doing FP1 for the heck of it really, mistakenly entered myself into the exam and costs too much to un-enter. However, if I get a good score in it (which I won't) then I might do the other required modules for Further Maths next year. Unlikely because I won't get a good score (got around 20/72 in my mock) and because I asked the medicine forum and by general consensus, FM AS is the most useless thing you can do apart from FM A2.

Damn nice :biggrin: Oh lol that sucks then! Is it difficult? And oh damn, still you have time to revise :smile: And yeah that's true, I was deciding between FM and Physics as my 4th AS choice and went with Physics in the end, think I made the right move!
Maybe 6, including general studies :eek: But nah, I'm doing FP1 for the heck of it really, mistakenly entered myself into the exam and costs too much to un-enter. However, if I get a good score in it (which I won't) then I might do the other required modules for Further Maths next year. Unlikely because I won't get a good score (got around 20/72 in my mock) and because I asked the medicine forum and by general consensus, FM AS is the most useless thing you can do apart from FM A2.

:O you have to pay to un-enter yourself? i think i nearly had to when i was entered for C2 instead of C3, but then i just got my teacher to declare that it was a mistake so i think it was charged to the school :redface:

:wink: i'm sure you'll do well anyway!
Original post by Nator
Damn nice :biggrin: Oh lol that sucks then! Is it difficult? And oh damn, still you have time to revise :smile: And yeah that's true, I was deciding between FM and Physics as my 4th AS choice and went with Physics in the end, think I made the right move!

No actually, it's pretty damn straight forward. It's probably on the level of C2, in fact easier. C1. C2 can be reasonably difficult at times with the logs and trig equations, but there's nothing conceptually difficult at all in FP1. Before you say 'why did you flop it', because I walked into the mock having done 0 revision and spent the last 3 hours playing pool haha. I don't care what I get in FP1 tbh. Physics definitely, you taking Bio Chem Phys Maths? (I'm doing Economics instead of Phys).
Original post by Cleoleo
How do you book it ?

You just go onto the Pearson Vue UKCAT website, and register, then sign-in, then they take you through it step by step, i.e. choosing which test centre, paying, etc etc. Although if you have full EMA or benefits then you will need to send off a scanned EMA form (or something) to prove it, and you'll get a voucher so that it's free :smile:
Original post by manic_fuzz
:O you have to pay to un-enter yourself? i think i nearly had to when i was entered for C2 instead of C3, but then i just got my teacher to declare that it was a mistake so i think it was charged to the school :redface:

:wink: i'm sure you'll do well anyway!

Nah I'm not revising for it, gonna focus on M1 which is a few days later. Further Maths is useless for Medicine, according to medicine forum elders. And uni websites tbh.

My school are bitchy, really bitchy, about anything to do with money, no chance they'd ever do that for me. It was my fault though, not theirs as in your case.
Reply 3525
No actually, it's pretty damn straight forward. It's probably on the level of C2, in fact easier. C1. C2 can be reasonably difficult at times with the logs and trig equations, but there's nothing conceptually difficult at all in FP1. Before you say 'why did you flop it', because I walked into the mock having done 0 revision and spent the last 3 hours playing pool haha. I don't care what I get in FP1 tbh. Physics definitely, you taking Bio Chem Phys Maths? (I'm doing Economics instead of Phys).

Oh didn't know that :redface: Then it should be fine :biggrin: And fair enough haha, that makes much more sense now. Happy I made that decision when I look back on it now :smile: And yup that's what I do, and nice, so many people in my school have that exact combo of subjects and are applying for med :biggrin:
Nah I'm not revising for it, gonna focus on M1 which is a few days later. Further Maths is useless for Medicine, according to medicine forum elders. And uni websites tbh.

My school are bitchy, really bitchy, about anything to do with money, no chance they'd ever do that for me. It was my fault though, not theirs as in your case.

'medicine forum elders' :laugh: i like it!
ahhh, well, s'long as it's not really going to have much of a detrimental effect :smile:
I've already done F. Maths AS for those who are hating on it :colonhash: and am doing A2 this summer.
Reply 3528
You just go onto the Pearson Vue UKCAT website, and register, then sign-in, then they take you through it step by step, i.e. choosing which test centre, paying, etc etc. Although if you have full EMA or benefits then you will need to send off a scanned EMA form (or something) to prove it, and you'll get a voucher so that it's free :smile:

Ohh okaayy, thought it was on the UKCAT website and was looking for it extensively xD it's weird that my school hasn't mentioned this at all :/
'medicine forum elders' :laugh: i like it!
ahhh, well, s'long as it's not really going to have much of a detrimental effect :smile:

Well basically I mean people like Becca-Sarah, Beska, Helenia etc. The ones who get pos rep for stating the obvious, even though others aren't treated so nicely haha.
Original post by Cleoleo
Ohh okaayy, thought it was on the UKCAT website and was looking for it extensively xD it's weird that my school hasn't mentioned this at all :/

:laugh: i think we're both talking about the same website to be honest, it's just you need to press sign-in and make an account, and no my school's way of telling us was putting an A4 notice up on the board in our sixth-form common room, and then it being covered by other people putting things up the next day :redface:

Well basically I mean people like Becca-Sarah, Beska, Helenia etc. The ones who get pos rep for stating the obvious, even though others aren't treated so nicely haha.

ahahah yeah i see what you mean, y'never know though, could be us in a few years time :wink:

ahahah yeah i see what you mean, y'never know though, could be us in a few years time :wink:

Hopefully not in my case aha, I need to get off TSR and study next year.

You missed Organ out he won't be pleased.
Original post by JChoudhry
I've already done F. Maths AS for those who are hating on it :colonhash: and am doing A2 this summer.

Nobody is hating on it, they are just saying it is pointless doing it. You are not put at any other advantage by doing F.Maths, I think the only things it does show is that you can think logically which can be shown with maths alone or any other science and that you can cope with a high amount of work which again can be shown by other means, but if you enjoy then do it.
Reply 3534
Original post by JChoudhry
Oh well. Only until the 26th before I'm free :woo:

I've got FP2, M2 and S2 :o:

Applying for Barts, Kings, Imperial, UCL Oxbridge.

4 From those :p:

Ooh, you clever dicky :tongue: Applying to BMAT unis.

Sticking to London then? I'm not venturing any further South than Sheffield, lol.

I cba with BMAT, UKCAT is enough. Speaking of which, have you booked it yet?
Will we get BMAT free?
Hopefully not in my case aha, I need to get off TSR and study next year.

mmm that's true,
i think i'll try, but TSR's a bit too addictive :mmm:
Original post by maemg
So yea this is the medicine 2012 thread for people applying for medicine in late 2011 ...lets get stated nice and early!!

hi im picking my a levels now but i dont know what to choose
im sure on biology, chemistry and maths, for my last option its between psycology, geography and physics
there are ups and downs to all of the subjects
psycology i really like but i've been told and have seen many articles where leading uni's have said they dont prefer it etc
geography i also really enjoy but its very demanding and work intensive and im scared i might not concentrate as much on the subjects i need
physics i dont lovee it but i dont hate it either, i like all the space and nuclear stuff about it but i dont enjoy forces and momentum part, but i understand it all and im good at it
im just really confused, an opinion would really help :smile:
Original post by socalgyal
hi im picking my a levels now but i dont know what to choose
im sure on biology, chemistry and maths, for my last option its between psycology, geography and physics
there are ups and downs to all of the subjects
psycology i really like but i've been told and have seen many articles where leading uni's have said they dont prefer it etc
geography i also really enjoy but its very demanding and work intensive and im scared i might not concentrate as much on the subjects i need
physics i dont lovee it but i dont hate it either, i like all the space and nuclear stuff about it but i dont enjoy forces and momentum part, but i understand it all and im good at it
im just really confused, an opinion would really help :smile:

If you intend to drop it, Physics is probably your best/most respected choice. That said, neither of the others are bad picks, and both are fairly common. There is no bias against Psychology in Medicine applications as far as I'm aware. LSE don't like it but they don't do medicine.
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Will we get BMAT free?

i think that you have to pay for it at first, but than if you're in receipt of a certain amount of EMA or benefits then you can apply (via your exam offices or head of sixth form etc) for a reimbursement :smile:

though i have seen people who's school have paid for it for them :| so i'd advise asking someone in yours about what they specifically do :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending