The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs
Yes, I'm doing the Part Time MEd, it's through a partnership with the school I'm going to be working at and a number of other schools (about 8 I think) in the east of England, so everyone on the course will be current teachers. It should take 2 years but my school have told me that in the past people who already have the 60 credits from a Masters will be able to transfer those to Cambridge and therefore complete it in one year. If you get a job in a partnership school (google Cambridge SUPER Partnership) you may be offered a place :smile:

Hmm... okay, I wasn't aware that it was only with specific partnership schools. They were just really off with me when I emailed and said that because I hadn't done my PGCE at Cambridge then it wouldn't be happening, then I emailed back and they never replied.... I'd love to do it there as they have the exact MEd course that I'm interested in with exactly the right sort of research angle on it whereas the one I've got at IoE is great as its way more specific/narrow angled, but I'm not sure if that's always a good thing. I don't know... but I'd ruled Cambridge out due to their response.

How much focus do they put on your previous academic record, though? I "only" have a [high] 2:i in my undergrad (from Edinburgh) and I don't know if they're only actually looking at people with a first even though it says the minimum is a 2:i on their website, or is it more down to you as a teacher?

Looking at that SUPER Partnership, it seems to only be secondary schools. I'm primary... so maybe they only take their own primary PGCE students? Don't really know why it'd be any different for primary/secondary though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 321
Original post by modgepodge
I don't have to do a QTS evidence file on paper or online. It has never been mentioned at my uni, Oxford Brookes.

We have a standards grid - our teacher we work with just signs us off when they agree we've met a standard. Don't see the benefit of having to "prove" that I've met with parents or whatever, my teacher is in the SMT of the school, she's not going to put her reputation on the line by just signing off someone rubbish is she?

As someone else said, it's good practice. Just as people in professional positions who want to become chartered (for example chartered engineers) need to build up a portfolio of evidence before someone can sign various standards off, we as teachers must provide evidence. How can your tutor say that you've done every single standard - have they observed you enough to see that? Or have you simply told them what you've done (where's the evidence? You could be lying?)? Not saying that you are lying of course but providing evidence just ensures good practice.

Original post by oxymoronic
Hmm... okay, I wasn't aware that it was only with specific partnership schools. They were just really off with me when I emailed and said that because I hadn't done my PGCE at Cambridge then it wouldn't be happening, then I emailed back and they never replied.... I'd love to do it there as they have the exact MEd course that I'm interested in with exactly the right sort of research angle on it whereas the one I've got at IoE is great as its way more specific/narrow angled, but I'm not sure if that's always a good thing. I don't know... but I'd ruled Cambridge out due to their response.

How much focus do they put on your previous academic record, though? I "only" have a [high] 2:i in my undergrad (from Edinburgh) and I don't know if they're only actually looking at people with a first even though it says the minimum is a 2:i on their website, or is it more down to you as a teacher?

Looking at that SUPER Partnership, it seems to only be secondary schools. I'm primary... so maybe they only take their own primary PGCE students? Don't really know why it'd be any different for primary/secondary though!

Well I've got a very LOW 2:1, in fact I just scraped a 2:1 but it's still a 2:1. And yes, I'm secondary so perhaps there's a different aspect, but I think the main thing is that I'm on that Partnership which has made it a lot easier to get on the courses - each school has an allocated number of places and my school offered it to me, and as the school pays for tuition fees I think the University accept anyone that the school suggests (within reason I suppose, if I were a complete idiot I guess they may have reservations!) :smile:
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs
How can your tutor say that you've done every single standard - have they observed you enough to see that?

I guess this might be a primary/secondary difference, but my class teacher would have been able to have given an example of me having done every one of the QTS standards if it were up to her to tick them off if I'd met it... which she basically did anyway when we went through my mid placement report as that literally is all of the QTS standards and her rating me as outstanding/good/satisfactory in all of them. Then she gave examples of why she thought that, then I had to sign to say I agreed with what she'd said as we did it together... so it just seems odd that I have to do that then replicate the entire thing again in file format for the QTS folder, although that is just teaching all round really! This will probably depend very much on the school though as in both of my placements I've had my class teacher as my mentor so they've seen me constantly as they're normally in the classroom/just outside catching up with kids reading etc even if I've got the class all day anyway.... then we spend loads of time chatting/doing things before and after school... so essentially the vast majority of the time I'm in school I'm in very close proximity to my mentor, meaning yeah, they observe me/speak to me constantly whereas I guess secondary is really different as you move around and don't just have one group of kids.

Well I've got a very LOW 2:1, in fact I just scraped a 2:1 but it's still a 2:1. And yes, I'm secondary so perhaps there's a different aspect, but I think the main thing is that I'm on that Partnership which has made it a lot easier to get on the courses - each school has an allocated number of places and my school offered it to me, and as the school pays for tuition fees I think the University accept anyone that the school suggests (within reason I suppose, if I were a complete idiot I guess they may have reservations!) :smile:

That's really really interesting. When I get a job I'll need to see where they're in partnership with, although I really want to go to IoE if I'm doing it and they've said I can keep deferring the entry point if I want which is good :smile: Did you apply for the job knowing the partnership existed or was that just an added bonus? As such a distinct link with a university isn't something I've come across on the primary job rounds.
Reply 323
I guess this might be a primary/secondary difference, but my class teacher would have been able to have given an example of me having done every one of the QTS standards if it were up to her to tick them off if I'd met it... which she basically did anyway when we went through my mid placement report as that literally is all of the QTS standards and her rating me as outstanding/good/satisfactory in all of them. Then she gave examples of why she thought that, then I had to sign to say I agreed with what she'd said as we did it together... so it just seems odd that I have to do that then replicate the entire thing again in file format for the QTS folder, although that is just teaching all round really! This will probably depend very much on the school though as in both of my placements I've had my class teacher as my mentor so they've seen me constantly as they're normally in the classroom/just outside catching up with kids reading etc even if I've got the class all day anyway.... then we spend loads of time chatting/doing things before and after school... so essentially the vast majority of the time I'm in school I'm in very close proximity to my mentor, meaning yeah, they observe me/speak to me constantly whereas I guess secondary is really different as you move around and don't just have one group of kids.

Yes I would expect there to be quite a difference - with secondary although my mentor will be a Geography teacher, s/he won't see me in all my lessons - as you say we move around classrooms a lot.

Plus, as I mentioned it's just like any other profession where you're looking to get qualified status in some way - you need to keep a portfolio. Plus it'll come in handy when you do your CEDP in your NQT year! Which I'm putting together now and am excited by the even MORE standards we need to meet over the next few years, yay! :rolleyes: Ha!

That's really really interesting. When I get a job I'll need to see where they're in partnership with, although I really want to go to IoE if I'm doing it and they've said I can keep deferring the entry point if I want which is good :smile: Did you apply for the job knowing the partnership existed or was that just an added bonus? As such a distinct link with a university isn't something I've come across on the primary job rounds.

I applied to the school because it looked like a great school, and got the job (even though I have no links with Cambridge nor do I know anyone who lives there), then they contacted me shortly after I'd got the job and offered for me to take a place on the MEd course there through their partnership and they'd pay the tuition fees. I couldn't really pass over an offer like that! They asked me if I'd got a 2:1 as if I hadn't I'd definitely have to go in for an interview, but as I have one they may not need to interview me.

Yeah I'd not heard about these partnerships too, not sure how unique it is but definitely worth a bit of research to see what is offered :smile:
Original post by dobbs
As someone else said, it's good practice. Just as people in professional positions who want to become chartered (for example chartered engineers) need to build up a portfolio of evidence before someone can sign various standards off, we as teachers must provide evidence. How can your tutor say that you've done every single standard - have they observed you enough to see that? Or have you simply told them what you've done (where's the evidence? You could be lying?)? Not saying that you are lying of course but providing evidence just ensures good practice.

I disagree - when I am actually a teacher, I will not have to get parents to sign a piece of paper to say they've met with me, or worse still get a photo of us meeting(!)

I have to do various tasks like do pupil profiles, collect evidence of kids work and things - that's all relevent to APP, leveling etc. Paper evidence of every single QTS standard is nonsense if you ask me, and clearly my university agree! They were OFSTEDed last year and told they were assessing students too much, so this year we have to do far fewer essays and hoop jumping. It does sound like my course involves considerably less pointless tasks than some.

And as someone else mentioned, this may be a primary/secondary difference - I'm primary, and for the first 3-4 weeks my teacher was observing me all the time. Now I'm left on my own more, but I wouldn't be if the teacher didn't trust me!
Reply 325
I had 2 mentors, but I had 4 different people observing me all the time. One time I even had 4 people in one lesson! (2 tutors, someone from TF and one of my mentors!)
It made it hard because all of the other teachers in my dept had different ideas and things they wanted me to implement with particular groups, so it was often too much for me to work on in one go!
Reply 326
Original post by modgepodge
I disagree - when I am actually a teacher, I will not have to get parents to sign a piece of paper to say they've met with me, or worse still get a photo of us meeting(!)

Who ever said that you required either of those? :s-smilie: All you need is to jot down some notes to log a conversation you had with a parent, no need for a photo! Sigh...
Original post by dobbs

Original post by dobbs
Who ever said that you required either of those? :s-smilie: All you need is to jot down some notes to log a conversation you had with a parent, no need for a photo! Sigh...

Again, I think this depends from university to university. All of my QTS evidence had to be signed by the person I was referring to or I had to get some other form of proof that it had happened, such as a photo of me in the act... I couldn't just use evidence of me having written some notes saying "today I talked to Mrs X about the situation with Y blah blah....." and use that as proof. If I wanted to use it, I needed to get either the parent to sign that we'd had this conversation (which to me feels fairly unprofessional as I want parents to see me as a teacher, not as a trainee teacher) or get someone from the school who witnessed the conversation to sign that this is what had happened. Literally every piece of evidence I submitted HAD to be signed as being true by someone, they wouldn't have accepted me saying that I'd done X from say, a diary I'd kept throughout the school without someone else also saying that it was true that I had done it.

So inevitably, I ended up dumping loads of paper on my class teacher this week and being like "sign here please!" of things I'd written at various points or written up that week of things that had happened that I could only use for QTS if she signed it for me.

HOWEVER, QTS folder is done, dusted and submitted, as is final observations from uni and I'm officially outstanding, apparently :biggrin: so I'm happy :smile:

Dobbs, can I ask what you've done with your CEPD? I've just done transition point 1 now as I had to submit it with my QTS - how come you're doing transition point 2 already? :s-smilie:

And with regards to the partnership schools, I've not really heard of any. In London you can do the Masters in Learning and Teaching at KCL/IoE/somewhere else depending on your borough and which one it is connected to, so maybe that is similar? It doesn't expand to all MEd courses though, unfortunately.
Reply 328
Again, I think this depends from university to university. All of my QTS evidence had to be signed by the person I was referring to or I had to get some other form of proof that it had happened, such as a photo of me in the act... I couldn't just use evidence of me having written some notes saying "today I talked to Mrs X about the situation with Y blah blah....." and use that as proof. If I wanted to use it, I needed to get either the parent to sign that we'd had this conversation (which to me feels fairly unprofessional as I want parents to see me as a teacher, not as a trainee teacher) or get someone from the school who witnessed the conversation to sign that this is what had happened. Literally every piece of evidence I submitted HAD to be signed as being true by someone, they wouldn't have accepted me saying that I'd done X from say, a diary I'd kept throughout the school without someone else also saying that it was true that I had done it.

So inevitably, I ended up dumping loads of paper on my class teacher this week and being like "sign here please!" of things I'd written at various points or written up that week of things that had happened that I could only use for QTS if she signed it for me.

HOWEVER, QTS folder is done, dusted and submitted, as is final observations from uni and I'm officially outstanding, apparently :biggrin: so I'm happy :smile:

Dobbs, can I ask what you've done with your CEPD? I've just done transition point 1 now as I had to submit it with my QTS - how come you're doing transition point 2 already? :s-smilie:

And with regards to the partnership schools, I've not really heard of any. In London you can do the Masters in Learning and Teaching at KCL/IoE/somewhere else depending on your borough and which one it is connected to, so maybe that is similar? It doesn't expand to all MEd courses though, unfortunately.

transition point 2 happens with your new nqt induction mentor, so unless Dobbs is already at her new school this is an error
Reply 329

Don't remember mentioning that I was doing Transition Point 2? :s-smilie: No I've only just done a draft of Transition Point 1, we have to have it finalised in a couple of weeks time but didn't realise we needed it for QTS. TP1 is really easy though, its very very wishy washy and you can do it in any format you like!

Unfortunately I really didn't look into other Masters courses so I really can't comment on other ones ha, I had coincidentally looked at the MEd at Cambridge prior to being offered the place by my school, which was good, but otherwise not looked anywhere else :smile: Maybe wait until you get onto your NQT year to think about it? I've been told it's going to be tough doing an MEd and NQT year together, eep!
(edited 12 years ago)
Well done on your outstanding, oxymoronic. You must be chuffed!
Reply 331

Congratulations! :biggrin:
Original post by Becca
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Original post by hannydee
Well done on your outstanding, oxymoronic. You must be chuffed!

Thank you :smile: I was really surprised - I knew I was on the outstanding/good border as this is where I'm hitting in my observations, then everything just went really well for my final placement observation (despite the fact there's still 5 weeks to go!) so she said she'll give me outstanding overall as that is where she sees me firmly being in by July, whereas atm I'm only hitting outstanding overall in half of the lessons I teach and the others are good with outstanding elements.... but there is still 5 weeks to go yet :smile: Hannydee - have you had your final ratings yet or is that still to come? I think my uni is doing them really early.

Original post by dobbs
Don't remember mentioning that I was doing Transition Point 2? :s-smilie: No I've only just done a draft of Transition Point 1, we have to have it finalised in a couple of weeks time but didn't realise we needed it for QTS. TP1 is really easy though, its very very wishy washy and you can do it in any format you like!

Ah okay, I just assumed because you were making a point of talking about it in relation to QTS folders evidence that you were "ahead" of other people for some reason, which got me confused. The CEPD essay fits into Q7 and Q8 so even if you've not been told to specifically submit it with your QTS folder like I had to, you can use the reflections you've done for at least two standards :smile: I just rambled away in mine and did it in bullet point fashion like the examples on TDA so it only took me about 20-30 minutes.

Unfortunately I really didn't look into other Masters courses so I really can't comment on other ones ha, I had coincidentally looked at the MEd at Cambridge prior to being offered the place by my school, which was good, but otherwise not looked anywhere else :smile: Maybe wait until you get onto your NQT year to think about it? I've been told it's going to be tough doing an MEd and NQT year together, eep!

Its an issue of cost tbh, which is why I've applied for a place and got one provisionally then I can decide what I'm doing in collaboration with my school once I finally get a job (3 interviews this week!) as I'm worried that if I wait until 2012, I just won't be able to afford it as the undergraduate fee rise will surely have implications on postgraduate courses. There's no way a postgraduate course can be half the price of an undergrad year, it just makes no sense. Meaning I am expecting postgrad fees to be in excess of £10,000 from 2012 and there's no way I could afford to pay that over two years whereas I could managed £4/5000 over two years with help from my parents/savings. So in short, I really want to start it at some point in 2011 simply from a cost perspective as I'd love to do further research at higher level beyond a Masters in "my" area of education so I need the Masters for this and just general interest cos I like academia generally which is why I did the PGCE.... but I won't be able to if I can't afford it which is why I think I'll just bite the bullet and start in my NQT year otherwise I'll never do it. If the fees weren't going up, I would have started the year after my NQT year though :smile:
Hannydee - have you had your final ratings yet or is that still to come? I think my uni is doing them really early.

My final report is supposed to be written in week 7 out of 8 of my placement. Just going into week 6 now, so: soon!
My university tutor observed me on Thursday and had a chat with my class teacher/mentor and they both agreed they think I'm on track to come out as an overall 'Good' with 'Outstanding' elements - which is great! I would be perfectly happy with a satisfactory if I'm honest, just as long as I pass... When I started this final placement I honestly felt as though I was going to go backwards so much that I would fail completely - because it's such a different setting from placements I've been in before. I guess I've managed to adjust. Just can't wait for it to be over now though so that I can enjoy my summer.

_______

Anyone got any summer jobs lined up to tide themselves over til September? Or in the case of those who haven't found a job yet - what will you be doing to sustain an income if you can't find much supply work?

I'm debating whether to go back to Tesco where I worked last year to ask if I can help out over the summer holidays. But worried people (children) will see me there and, if I happen to get a job or supply locally, will be confused and won't see me as a 'teacher' but as 'that lady who works in Tesco'...
Reply 334

I'm debating whether to go back to Tesco where I worked last year to ask if I can help out over the summer holidays. But worried people (children) will see me there and, if I happen to get a job or supply locally, will be confused and won't see me as a 'teacher' but as 'that lady who works in Tesco'...

I think you could be both! As long as you are strict with your rules and boundaries in the classroom and go in with confidence they will always see you as a teacher IMO.
My final report is supposed to be written in week 7 out of 8 of my placement. Just going into week 6 now, so: soon!
My university tutor observed me on Thursday and had a chat with my class teacher/mentor and they both agreed they think I'm on track to come out as an overall 'Good' with 'Outstanding' elements - which is great! I would be perfectly happy with a satisfactory if I'm honest, just as long as I pass... When I started this final placement I honestly felt as though I was going to go backwards so much that I would fail completely - because it's such a different setting from placements I've been in before. I guess I've managed to adjust. Just can't wait for it to be over now though so that I can enjoy my summer.

_______

Anyone got any summer jobs lined up to tide themselves over til September? Or in the case of those who haven't found a job yet - what will you be doing to sustain an income if you can't find much supply work?

Tbh I doubt they would take much notice of what the cashier in Tesco looks like, so I doubt it'll be an issue :smile:

Original post by xKTx
Tbh I doubt they would take much notice of what the cashier in Tesco looks like, so I doubt it'll be an issue :smile:

The children at the school I volunteered at 1 day a week while working there did. Obviously if I got a full time teaching job it wouldn't be an issue, but if I am only able to do short term supply work that would mean I'd probably have to keep working there too, and it may present issues! I don't know. I'm probably overthinking things, as usual...
The children at the school I volunteered at 1 day a week while working there did. Obviously if I got a full time teaching job it wouldn't be an issue, but if I am only able to do short term supply work that would mean I'd probably have to keep working there too, and it may present issues! I don't know. I'm probably overthinking things, as usual...

Lol. I know what you mean. I had a 5 year old at work experience announce that I gave him a dip to go with his pizza and that he saw me in work (Dominos) all the time. I was amazed that he remembered! He looked vaguely familar to me, but I had no idea where from.
But it wasnt really that much of a problem.
Reply 338
I am shortly going to be starting an upper primary PGCE course but I have reservations. The problem is, I don't have much confidence, and it is putting me off the course. I'm very nervous about the workload, and I'm especially nervous about delivering a good lesson and classroom management.

I don't want to make the conclusion that it isn't the career for me though, because I think it just a confidence thing. I have experience in school; the problem is I don't always enjoy being in school because I just don't feel comfortable. I feel very awkward around the staff; they are lovely people, but I think it's because I'm just a volunteer and that somehow makes me awkward. I do like working with the kids themselves but I don't always know how to act around them and I feel awkward for that reason also.

I'm hoping I will get more comfortable as I start my course but I know it will be intense and I'm afraid with not only organisation/time management AND my confidence to deal with, I'm just not going to be able to handle it.

I know that I'd really enjoy doing it if I just felt comfortable, because when I'm just observing I can imagine how great it would be to have my own class and to help them learn. I can imagine how good the job would be. But whether I can put myself in their shoes is a different matter. People around me are telling me I'd make a great teacher, it's just nerves getting in my way.

I've been bottling it up for a while and having read this thread I thought it would be wise to post it here as a lot of you will hopefully understand how I'm feeling and possibly offer some advice.
Original post by jenren22
I am shortly going to be starting an upper primary PGCE course but I have reservations. The problem is, I don't have much confidence, and it is putting me off the course. I'm very nervous about the workload, and I'm especially nervous about delivering a good lesson and classroom management.

Speaking as a teacher, if you weren't nervous i'd be concerned! The PGCE is all about equipping you with the skills to teach, not expecting you to know it all already (or it'd be a waste of time). The job of the department, and your school mentors is to develop you, push you, encourage you and support you.

The number one thing people worry about is classroom management. You learn from the people you observe and get feedback from the people that eventually observe you, i have vivid memories of teaching a group in my first term of PGCE and struggling to get them quiet enough to let them into the classroom! Worst comes to worst, you have someone else there to step in and take action (which is a little embarrassing but perfectly natural ). I still dont get it right 100% of the time and it's almost 3yrs since i started my PGCE, i have colleagues who are much more senior who STILL dont get it right 100% of the time.

With the planning, my first full lesson took me about 8hrs to plan and resource, now it's usually a couple minutes of planning and using school or my own previous resources. Then again, my work load is now 44 lessons a fortnight, so i dont have TIME to spend 8hrs planning! It's a way of thinking that you learn, and once you start to pick up on the ability of the group and how fast you can realistically move through stuff, it gets a LOT easier!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending