The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by miahearts
Could somebody/anybody please sum up in a sentence or few, what 'technology transfer' is? (In terms of the tech fix section, not the maghreb!) Thankyouu!! x

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=technology+transfer
Reply 182
how would you plan a response to:

'To what extent is tourism in the maghreb region sustainable?'

any help would be great! thanks is advance :smile:
Original post by just :)

I think its relevant to name the advantages and disadvantages of the approach and in the end focus on some negative environmental effects

Btw... I really think there would be a specific question about environmental consequences since there is stuff about ecoregions/desertification in the end of the resource and one of the views from the 6 is about it. ?
Reply 184
Original post by mischka_tay
I think its relevant to name the advantages and disadvantages of the approach and in the end focus on some negative environmental effects

Btw... I really think there would be a specific question about environmental consequences since there is stuff about ecoregions/desertification in the end of the resource and one of the views from the 6 is about it. ?

I think they will say sustainability of tourism/plan azur as a whole. Limiting to environmental is a little narrow.
Reply 185
What do you think the big question is for the Maghreb?

-Tourism
-Migration

any ideas?
Reply 186
Original post by ccandy
What do you think the big question is for the Maghreb?

-Tourism
-Migration

any ideas?

I very much think, and hope, that it will be tourism.
Although, might it be something to do with income or something which can include both? Contribution to GDP or something.. so that could be tourism, and remittances?
What kind of research have people done for migration/remittances. It didn't feature much in the pre-release so I didn't bother researching it but now I'm thinking maybe I should.
Do you guys think it is likely that a question on migration/remittances will come up? :s-smilie:
Reply 188
Original post by just :)

I would go about it like this:
Intro- why the region has used tourism, where has it been used? Eg: Marrachech for the Majara Temple, Atlas mountains..., plan azur
Define sustainability

Eco Positives- GDP increase, FDI, employment,multiplier effect,gentrification
negatives-leakages, seasonal employment

soc positives- culture identity, infurstructure for health care
soc negatives- cultural disparity, globalisation

Env pos- protection by wwf
neg-desertification

However, its not the only sustainable way as you could join economic unions , remittances, Commodities...

but i have been told if it asked about sustianability it is more then likely to be how is tourism economically sustainable instead of including envrionment but u can be asked about social and economic development
Reply 189
i'm so screwed for this exam! even looking through all the resources people have posted it's just like aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! i've been revising for this for ages but don't feel like i'm getting anywhere :frown:
Reply 190
just quicky too, what does it mean where the Barcelona process is pulling the EU towards Europe. does this not make any sense to anyone else? is it meant to mean it's pulling the MAghreb states towards Europe?
Reply 191
Original post by kwindsor
just quicky too, what does it mean where the Barcelona process is pulling the EU towards Europe. does this not make any sense to anyone else? is it meant to mean it's pulling the MAghreb states towards Europe?

On the first page it says that the "EU Barcelona Process... appears to be pulling the Maghreb in Europe's direction". You've just simply mis-read it, but your understanding of it is right :smile:
Reply 192
What would you say about the Maghreb's population in terms of hindering development?
Is it?
Because there's a range... Mauritania has a high fertility rate, but Morocco and Tunisia are not far off Britians.

I keep getting different statistics on each website I look at...

So what actually is going on with the birth rate/population growth, and how does it affect development?

Thanks! x
Reply 193
What would you say about the Maghreb's population in terms of hindering development?
Is it?
Because there's a range... Mauritania has a high fertility rate, but Morocco and Tunisia are not far off Britians.

I keep getting different statistics on each website I look at...

So what actually is going on with the birth rate/population growth, and how does it affect development?

Thanks! x

Hey here's some info which I hope explains how growth is being affected in terms of demographics!

Demographics:
Maghreb home to population of 81 million, median age of 24 and third of which is under age of 15.Future stability will ride on how well demographic pressures are handled. A key metric for this challenge is job creation. New region must create 25 million new jobs by 2020 just to keep up with population growth compounded by tough local labour market and global completion. Aggregate unemployment according to IMF is at 16%. Region has lowest labour force participations rates in the world. Even higher rates of unemployment among urban women and young college graduates.
Urban employment particularly problematic because 2/3 of population now resides in and around cities. Large internal migration has been precipitated by the drought that ravaged the agricultural sector during most the of the 1990s. The drought pushed the highest number of low skilled and often job seekers to cities and periphery. Migration has created large concentrations of poor urban youth often leading to informal sector activity e.g. Dharavi and a characteristic of immature cities, and illegal immigration to the Euro Zone, often leading to dangerous situations and a risk to internal stability. Furthermore poor economic performance in burdened social structures creates a strong incentive for young graduates to seek economic opportunities elsewhere creating a brain drain that limit’s region’s development prospects. Worker remittances cannot compensate for the losses in investment and economic activity.
Regional integration would create market dynamics and economies of scale for more effective absorption of total labour force. The youthfulness and urbanisation of population can be leveraged as opportunity or suffered as a liability, with the consequences extending to neighbouring EU.
Human development deficit:
Threatens to throw region into wrong direction. According to UNDP, 40% of the region’s adult population is illiterate and early 1/3 of the young urban population is unemployed. Problem is particularly acute in Morocco and Mauritania where half the population is illiterate. Furthermore the region suffers from a real deficit in institutional quality of its education system and technology creation. For example, highest ranking Maghreb University is ranked 4000 in the world. Despite measurable progress on health and human services in 1960s, human development deficits has resulted due to lack of development. In 2006 Morocco launched national intiative for human develpoemtn and Algeria is investing some of its hydrocarbon revenues in human development initiatives. While these efforts are laudable, a cohesive common development strategy for the whole of the Maghreb is best possible chance of overcoming past negligence.
Reply 194
What do people understand by the 'WTTC', 'Urban Cultural Tourism' and the 'Open Sky Agreement' ??
Reply 195
Original post by R0byn
What do people understand by the 'WTTC', 'Urban Cultural Tourism' and the 'Open Sky Agreement' ??

WTTC: World Travel and Tourism Council
Urban cultural tourism: Tourism that focuses on 'local' values and history, but within an urban setting; i.e.- the markets in Marrakech.
Open Sky Agreement: An agreement signed by the some of the Mahgreb countries to liberalise air travel with the intent of deregulating and therefore increasing the ease with which european tourists can travel to the Maghreb.

These are strategies (etc) that are designed to promote tourism within the Maghreb countries; not only from the EU-27, but also from other MEDCs...

:colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 196
Original post by TheRockMaster
Hey guys.....Sorry for those who e-mailed me, but I have found a way of putting it up onto here There is another one on reducing the development gap that I will try to get on here.

Hope this helps

Heyy thanks for that powerpoint!!!
would you mind putting the reducing the development gap one aswell??

Thanks in advance!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by jpurkis1
WTTC: World Travel and Tourism Council
Urban cultural tourism: Tourism that focuses on 'local' values and history, but within an urban setting; i.e.- the markets in Marrakech.
Open Sky Agreement: An agreement signed by the some of the Mahgreb countries to liberalise air travel with the intent of deregulating and therefore increasing the ease with which european tourists can travel to the Maghreb.

These are strategies (etc) that are designed to promote tourism within the Maghreb countries; not only from the EU-27, but also from other MEDCs...

:colone:

Thank you ! :smile:
Reply 198
About the three suggested questions...
It's been suggested on here a few times that the three questions may be themed around 1) Causes 2) Effects and 3) Future.

But to write the Causes answer, you kind of have to make references to the effects of each cause in order to get the marks for explaining and expanding your points. So does anyone else NOT think we're going to get a causes question AND an effects question, and get one that combines the two instead?

Because a lot of the causes, can be effects too. Such as - lack of education can be a cause of the development gap, but it can also be an effect of poverty...?
And population growth can be a cause and an effect.

I think I've confused myself...
Reply 199
About the three suggested questions...
It's been suggested on here a few times that the three questions may be themed around 1) Causes 2) Effects and 3) Future.

But to write the Causes answer, you kind of have to make references to the effects of each cause in order to get the marks for explaining and expanding your points. So does anyone else NOT think we're going to get a causes question AND an effects question, and get one that combines the two instead?

Because a lot of the causes, can be effects too. Such as - lack of education can be a cause of the development gap, but it can also be an effect of poverty...?
And population growth can be a cause and an effect.

I think I've confused myself...

its causes, impacts and future :smile:

causes and impacts would be different in this case..
causes are the actions - so it tests your background on the Maghreb and explore different viewpoints
impacts are the effects. use the resource, your own knowledge/research to evaluate the positives/negatives (hopefullly this will be about morocco's tourism)
future - alternatives (to the Magreb's development maybe...), again, back up your points including positives and negatives....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending