The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
Pfft, i'm sure you're just as clever, you must be to be in this thread :wink: :biggrin:
That many applying to Oxbridge?! Wow! And oh that's terrible, i don't see why people can't be supportive of each other, i wouldn't be too pleased if everyone was being really bitchyy at our age ¬¬ but haha i'm liking the popcorn idea!

and oh yay... totally looking forward to C4 :eek: luckily i'm not doing further maths, maths is my 'best subject' but i have to deal with enough numbers already, and when you start including number that aren't actually 'real'... no thankyou! :wink:

Thing is, we have a lot of Oxbridge applicant but only a very small amount get it. So this year there were around 30, and of those, 9 got in. My school likes to pretend we're good, but we're actually only quite average.

Oh crap I didn't mean to scare you :s-smilie:
Its not shocking - the binomial expansion questions are a blessing, and chapters 1-4 are fine - its when you get onto Vectors and Integration that I feel sick... and with Integration, they've been known to devote 25 out of 75 marks on it in the tougher exam papers.

I want an A* so much though! In Jan '11, 90 UMS in Core 4 was 96% :cry2:

On a brighter note, not to drag this thread down with my misery, the open day is soon!
...Even though I can't go :cry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bright Lights

In my further maths class (of 4 people), only 1 failed to get an A* in the lower 6th, so he retook C4 in January and got over 90% raw marks but still didn't get the A* so he's retaking it again this summer.

The vectors are tricky, but once you get your ahead around it the questions become pretty routine - it's worth getting to understand them properly. Especially making sure you understand that if you're looking at an angle (including perpendicular/parallel) you're only going to be using the direction vector - getting used to which parts of the vector forms you're using makes it a lot easier.

I think C4 integration becomes easier once you stop being scared of it - it's not that hard, and even if you don't see what to do straight away it's just a case of going to yourself "well, I know I can do this integration, I just need to figure out exactly what approach to take" and just be systematic about it. C4 integration feels pretty trivial now that I'm doing FP3, but I think that's largely confidence. Obviously confidence comes with time, but if you can try and boost your confidence now that could be helpful
Oh your'e applying for PPE? Phew, not competition then :biggrin: E&M for me.

Me as well! What college are you thinking of applying to and what are your subject choices?
Oh your'e applying for PPE? Phew, not competition then :biggrin: E&M for me.

How did you know I went to a private school? :ninja:

Haha... *eyeing up the competition are we?* :biggrin: hehe

I have this amazing gift... I'm psychic... without the need to even see the person. Lol jk I go too, and all of us always get 2 weeks November half terms, as opposed to 1 week in state schools.
Thing is, we have a lot of Oxbridge applicant but only a very small amount get it. So this year there were around 30, and of those, 9 got in. My school likes to pretend we're good, but we're actually only quite average.

Oh crap I didn't mean to scare you :s-smilie:
Its not shocking - the binomial expansion questions are a blessing, and chapters 1-4 are fine - its when you get onto Vectors and Integration that I feel sick... and with Integration, they've been known to devote 25 out of 75 marks on it in the tougher exam papers.

On a brighter note, not to drag this thread down with my misery, the open day is soon!
...Even though I can't go :cry:

Anything above 2 seems high to me and my sixth form :laugh:
naah i'm not that worried, everyone i've spoken to has said C4 is easier than C3, i'm not sure whether that's because it's literally easier though, or just because you get more used to harder questions :|
:biggrin: ah i'm sure you'll be able to get it if you keep pushing through with the revision

i'm not going either :s-smilie: but i did go on the residential thing :smile:
Reply 925

WOAAH. How big is your sixth form!? I think we've only ever had one Oxford applicant... there may be two this year though (me included :tongue:)! Although to be fair our sixth form only opened in 2004 and there's about 150 of us tops altogether, years 12 and 13!
Reply 926

9/30 is comfortably above average!
Well I like your post but can't give you any positive rep now as apparently I've already done that too often! :smile:
It's the neg-stalker again! :ninja:
But yeah, I agree with you about the London thing. It's a very cool and vibrant city but it doesn't feel like a place to study! I certainly won't apply to any uni in London!
Plus I'm soooo jealous of you because you're going to be in Oxford again! :rolleyes:
Have fun with your french boyfriend :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady
Went to London today and was in awe, but I still don't feel like it could be a home, whereas I kind of made a connection with Oxford. This 'feeling at home' thing is pretty important to me, I guess. My hypothesis is that if I went to uni in London I'd become incredibly cool by the end of it (London is just so aggressively cool) but if I go to Oxford I'd stay slightly unworldly, rather innocent and very nerdy, because Oxford is just ridiculously bookish and in its own little world of ancientness and smartness, while London is like look at me, I'm so edgy. However, I really want to visit Berlin and spend a bit of time there in the future, but I can't become a part of it while being the unwordly adorkable me. I have to live in London, become cool, and then go.

I'm actually going back to Oxford (yes, I know, AGAIN, like the third time in as many weeks) on Sunday. My mum doesn't want me to because of the crazy sex attacker guy, so I'm telling her I'm going to Guildford. And yes, I'm going to see my French boyfriend (I'm going to call him that because he basically is) because turns out he's going back to France next Saturday and I'll never see him again! Fabulous. Finding decent trains there on a Sundaywhich aren't almost three hours long is ridiculous though.

Okay, anyone going to tell me why I got negged? Sorry it wasn't to do with applications: I just like mentioning it every time I go to Oxford, because this thread is full of people who find it as beautiful and awesome as I do. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. If it's about my rambling about London and Oxford, I was joking. I don't think that London will make me cool instantly. Nor do I think Oxford is all academic. It was tongue in cheek, a sarcastic metaphor about how unworldly I am. If you negged me for a different reason, do tell.
Original post by Michael_4180

Me as well! What college are you thinking of applying to and what are your subject choices?

I'm on the OP if you check there...
In fact I'll just retype it out, save you the hassle of checking :biggrin:

I'm definitely applying to New College, and I'm doing Maths, FMaths, Economics, Geography at A2, and did Crit. Thinking AS...

How about you? Made your college choice? :biggrin:
Original post by loz876
WOAAH. How big is your sixth form!? I think we've only ever had one Oxford applicant... there may be two this year though (me included :tongue:)! Although to be fair our sixth form only opened in 2004 and there's about 150 of us tops altogether, years 12 and 13!

We have around 200 in each year, I think, as sixth forms go, its quite big. But most of us stayed o from y11.
Reply 930
Username: donzy
GCSE (or equivalent): 6.5A*s 2.5As 1B
A Levels: Economics, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Critical Thinking (AS) and English Literature (AS)
Subject: Economics and Management
College: UNDECIDED
Anything above 2 seems high to me and my sixth form :laugh:
)

We have 23 out of about 90 Oxbridge applicants...:confused::eek::colone:
Original post by Brand New Eyes

90 Oxbridge applicants?! :eek:
actually, i've just heard from my mum that we had 4 people in the year above get into Cambridge (i think it was just Cambridge at least), it was in the headmaster's letter because that's good for my school :wink:

:smile: i s'pose at least it means i'll have less competition who i actually know, otherwise i'd expect things to get a bit 'Mean Girls'-esque with so many prospective Oxbridgers :mmm:
I'm on the OP if you check there...
In fact I'll just retype it out, save you the hassle of checking :biggrin:

I'm definitely applying to New College, and I'm doing Maths, FMaths, Economics, Geography at A2, and did Crit. Thinking AS...

How about you? Made your college choice? :biggrin:

You'll absolutely love New College!! I was unfortunately rejected from there in december, post- interview :frown:. But there is something strange and magical about that place, plus everyone was really cool and down to earth. If i could reapply there i would, but i've been advised not to, and haven't chosen another college yet.
I got five rejections last year ( one alternative offer from Nottingham for Economics and Econometrics ) and will hence be applying in september with Maths, F.Maths, Eco & Business, Physics and English Lit all A2.
Original post by Michael_4180
You'll absolutely love New College!! I was unfortunately rejected from there in december, post- interview :frown:..

I second this, New College is lovely! If you go visit, go to the squeaking mound and clap. I was rather skeptical at first, but it's amazing! Also it has a really amazing hall and JCR and gardens and...ahh, darn pooling :tongue:
90 Oxbridge applicants?! :eek:
actually, i've just heard from my mum that we had 4 people in the year above get into Cambridge (i think it was just Cambridge at least), it was in the headmaster's letter because that's good for my school :wink:

:smile: i s'pose at least it means i'll have less competition who i actually know, otherwise i'd expect things to get a bit 'Mean Girls'-esque with so many prospective Oxbridgers :mmm:

Haha sorry i meant out of the 90 students in the year 23 are applying... lol we only got one in for this year... just so competitive

Haha... yes mean girls! <3 love it.

back off whore! Aaron is miiiine
Haha sorry i meant out of the 90 students in the year 23 are applying... lol we only got one in for this year... just so competitive

Haha... yes mean girls! &lt;3 love it.

back off whore! Aaron is miiiine

:laugh: oh, that sounds far more reasonable, albeit still rather high!

ahaha don't worry, if we don't get into Oxford (or whereever) we can always get out the Burn Book and add a few things about those who do :wink: :laugh:
:laugh: oh, that sounds far more reasonable, albeit still rather high!

ahaha don't worry, if we don't get into Oxford (or whereever) we can always get out the Burn Book and add a few things about those who do :wink: :laugh:

or yknow... push them infront of a bus! or something along those lines :smile: (we must sound like mentally unstable)

indeed, most ever so far in the school... teachers just think we all have a chance apparently. Whatcha applying for?
Reply 938
If you're worried about competition and you get to the interview stage, you could always do what some laterally-thinking E&M applicant(s) did at Merton three years ago and put a notice up saying the interviews are over, thereby encouraging your "opponents" to go home prematurely.

Haha woah oh my god thats insane! Our year is good one though, hopefully we'll get more that 9...

I haven't counted yet but I think we have just over 40 of us this year... :eek:

6 for E & M, me included. Oh god, let's not think about it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending