The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
for medicine do you have to do a gold crest award ?
Original post by kimmey
for medicine do you have to do a gold crest award ?

if you're talking about that 100hours project work thing then nope, not that i've ever heard of it until now
obviously it may look good on your PS, but so would a lot of other things, though it isn't essential :smile:
Original post by sablarrr
Ooh, you clever dicky :tongue: Applying to BMAT unis.

Sticking to London then? I'm not venturing any further South than Sheffield, lol.

I cba with BMAT, UKCAT is enough. Speaking of which, have you booked it yet?

:dontknow: I just like the names of those Uni's :laugh:
I don't know too much about the BMAT/UKCAT, but I think I'd do better in the BMAT since I'm probably dyslexic and the UKCAT has weird questions. No, I haven't booked it. I might not even do it lol

Yeah, I'm sticking to London. lol :smile:
Original post by Limitless
Nobody is hating on it, they are just saying it is pointless doing it. You are not put at any other advantage by doing F.Maths, I think the only things it does show is that you can think logically which can be shown with maths alone or any other science and that you can cope with a high amount of work which again can be shown by other means, but if you enjoy then do it.

Not necessarily pointless.

Further Maths is pointless if you apply to Glasgow or Leicester. FM at A2 is pointless for Kings and I'm not applying to them. :dontknow:

If you do maths, but failed to get your A grade in it, which was meant to be a part of your offer, but instead, you got an A in Further Maths instead, the further maths can be used as a part of your offer. It's just that quite a few universities will not accept both as part of the AAA/A*AA offer that they may have. In such a case, Further Maths will/may be quite useful for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Straight up G
Well, my local hospital is a bitch and has put off any more work experience applications until January 2012. So no chance of me going through them, it's just through contacts and hopefully I'll be fine.

I've never revised from written notes, ever. Mainly because I can only write neatly with a fountain pen when I'm feeling good, all other times it's this scrawl which is legible but annoying to read from. Every year I tell myself I'll write good notes and every year I inevitably end up losing pieces of paper, or having giant penises drawn all over my notes. Not great. One time someone tipped some purple paint all over some maths notes, it was funny, but not great revision-wise.

As for the kids, well, they're growing up earlier. Shouting out boobies is absolutely hilarious though, I would piss myself. It's the kind of humour I love (before anyone says idiotic naive childish humour, yes). I would now insert some cheap medical joke about this hot nurse, but medical jokes just aren't funny. Some med schools like Leeds accept jobs in lieu of voluntary work, that's good for me. Was applying to Leeds anyway, massive bonus.

My local hospital said they're only offering places to under 16s :confused: what is the point?! I wasn't impressed. And the majority of under 16s in the area don't give a **** anyway, so dumb.

LOL at your lame sense of humour. No, tbh at first I was like 'ha' but their conversations weren't right, kids shouldn't be growing up so fast :sad: Yeah, loads of med schools do appreciate jobs though idk if it's an alternative to volunteering. Speaking of Leeds, do you know how they really select people? I had a look at their website but it was all really general, so idk if I should apply or not.

Anywho, having fun volunteering?
Original post by oHellno
My local hospital said they're only offering places to under 16s :confused: what is the point?! I wasn't impressed. And the majority of under 16s in the area don't give a **** anyway, so dumb.

LOL at your lame sense of humour. No, tbh at first I was like 'ha' but their conversations weren't right, kids shouldn't be growing up so fast :sad: Yeah, loads of med schools do appreciate jobs though idk if it's an alternative to volunteering. Speaking of Leeds, do you know how they really select people? I had a look at their website but it was all really general, so idk if I should apply or not.

Anywho, having fun volunteering?

That's the crappest policy ever. That actually sucks dick.

My humour is good. Go away. Yeah I hate kids growing up quick, it actually sucks. Stupid little divas are the worst, wearing fishnets and really horribly slutty tight denim shorts (there's a name for them but I don't remember atm) at like 12. It just disgusts me...

I don't know, lets hope for the best. Hopefully a combination of some job and some voluntary will do. Yeah, I know LOADS about Leeds, I've been there and I've had their entry guide - very specific, prospectus and past letters of rejection. I'll pm you it once I clean my room (wait a couple of weeks haha).

No, it sucked dick. Nothing for me to do because I'm not allowed to help in their care, merely observe. The one time I started a board game with someone, she went temporarily unconscious and the paramedics were called. No ****ing joke. I left 3 hours early and the people were like 'if I were you I would have left ages ago' because all I did was turn up, do some dishes and watch Jeremy Kyle (so funny, slutty woman slept with 3 guys in 24 hours then complained about pregnancy etc).
Original post by JChoudhry
Not necessarily pointless.

Further Maths is pointless if you apply to Glasgow or Leicester. FM at A2 is pointless for Kings and I'm not applying to them. :dontknow:

If you do maths, but failed to get your A grade in it, which was meant to be a part of your offer, but instead, you got an A in Further Maths instead, the further maths can be used as a part of your offer. It's just that quite a few universities will not accept both as part of the AAA/A*AA offer that they may have. In such a case, Further Maths will/may be quite useful for me.

If you don't do FM, you could concentrate on normal Maths and it's much, much easier to get an A or A* in normal maths.
Reply 3547
If you don't do FM, you could concentrate on normal Maths and it's much, much easier to get an A or A* in normal maths.

Bro you doing the BMAT right?
Original post by Nator
Bro you doing the BMAT right?

Probably, undecided. Depends on outcome of UKCAT.
Reply 3549
Probably, undecided. Depends on outcome of UKCAT.

Well if it's a yes, fancy dissecting some past papers + discussing answers and helping each other out in the Summer? :smile: It's always good to have another person to confer with :biggrin:

That's the crappest policy ever. That actually sucks dick.

My humour is good. Go away. Yeah I hate kids growing up quick, it actually sucks. Stupid little divas are the worst, wearing fishnets and really horribly slutty tight denim shorts (there's a name for them but I don't remember atm) at like 12. It just disgusts me...

I don't know, lets hope for the best. Hopefully a combination of some job and some voluntary will do. Yeah, I know LOADS about Leeds, I've been there and I've had their entry guide - very specific, prospectus and past letters of rejection. I'll pm you it once I clean my room (wait a couple of weeks haha).

No, it sucked dick. Nothing for me to do because I'm not allowed to help in their care, merely observe. The one time I started a board game with someone, she went temporarily unconscious and the paramedics were called. No ****ing joke. I left 3 hours early and the people were like 'if I were you I would have left ages ago' because all I did was turn up, do some dishes and watch Jeremy Kyle (so funny, slutty woman slept with 3 guys in 24 hours then complained about pregnancy etc).

I know, as if they need work experience anyway :facepalm:

It's not that good actually, soz :h: Hahaa there was actually a girl exactly like what you just described, it was awful, she didn't really talk, she sort of sang everything because she thought she was Mariah Carey or something gay like that, and she said her parents paid millions to send her to the school, even though it was just a usual ****ty one :laugh: Haha, that's probably the most sensible thing you've ever said, but yes, it is disgusting.

Hurry up and clean your room then! I keep thinking about Leeds and just don't know anything :puppyeyes: I take it your applying there then?

LOL why aren't you allowed to do anything? The whole point of going to a care home is to help not observe, that's silly. I feel bad, but I laughed, I feel sorry for you. Ngl, I love Jeremy Kyle every now and then :ninja: But seriously, if you're never gonna be able to help, don't bother going for much longer. A pakistani boy washing dishes, didn't even know that was possible.
Reply 3551
Original post by manic_fuzz
You just go onto the Pearson Vue UKCAT website, and register, then sign-in, then they take you through it step by step, i.e. choosing which test centre, paying, etc etc. Although if you have full EMA or benefits then you will need to send off a scanned EMA form (or something) to prove it, and you'll get a voucher so that it's free :smile:

Thanks!
Any ideas on the best time of sitting the test ? also, i don't understand how they'd make so many different papers !
Reply 3552
At the care home I worked at, I literally saw this old dude scratch his "parts" and then
he GRABBED my left hand to stand up, worse thing is, I just took my latex gloves off minutes before. :frown:

I would have been plenty happy just "observing" that day.

But that was the only bad experience I had, the rest of the week was fun at the care home, even got to watch "Come dine with me" on the comfy sofa they had.
Original post by cashy

Original post by cashy
At the care home I worked at, I literally saw this old dude scratch his "parts" and then
he GRABBED my left hand to stand up, worse thing is, I just took my latex gloves off minutes before. :frown:

But that was the only bad experience I had, the rest of the week was fun at the care home, even got to watch "Come dine with me" on the comfy sofa they had.

:laugh: Sucks to be you.

Actually, a woman choked on her tea and coughed all over me, I could literally feel it on my hands. Needless to say I handsanitised continuously after that. :frown:
Reply 3554
Original post by cashy

Original post by oHellno
:laugh: Sucks to be you.

Actually, a woman choked on her tea and coughed all over me, I could literally feel it on my hands. Needless to say I handsanitised continuously after that. :frown:

wow, your experiences all sound pretty, erm, hands on
Reply 3555
Yeah lol after that incident I nearly finished one bottle of anti-bacterial handswash all by myself.

I've already got my A* in Maths. :wink:
Original post by Cleoleo
Thanks!
Any ideas on the best time of sitting the test ? also, i don't understand how they'd make so many different papers !

well before the price goes up, so before September! But otherwise it's down to what you think will suit you, some people take it earlier to get it out of the way and allow time to enjoy summer, some later so they have a lot of time to prepare, but most people say that you only need to have a few weeks to prepare just to get used to the questions, obviously the '600 UKCAT Questions' book seems to be the best to read

ah they don't make different papers, i'm pretty sure it's all the same one, but they get everyone who takes it to sign a contract thing to declare that they shan't discuss it, plus, as if anyone would try and help out anyone else by telling them the questions afterwards, in this situation medicine is too competitive to be nice :wink: :laugh:
Original post by oHellno
I know, as if they need work experience anyway :facepalm:

It's not that good actually, soz :h: Hahaa there was actually a girl exactly like what you just described, it was awful, she didn't really talk, she sort of sang everything because she thought she was Mariah Carey or something gay like that, and she said her parents paid millions to send her to the school, even though it was just a usual ****ty one :laugh: Haha, that's probably the most sensible thing you've ever said, but yes, it is disgusting.

Hurry up and clean your room then! I keep thinking about Leeds and just don't know anything :puppyeyes: I take it your applying there then?

LOL why aren't you allowed to do anything? The whole point of going to a care home is to help not observe, that's silly. I feel bad, but I laughed, I feel sorry for you. Ngl, I love Jeremy Kyle every now and then :ninja: But seriously, if you're never gonna be able to help, don't bother going for much longer. A pakistani boy washing dishes, didn't even know that was possible.

Yes it is, stop whining. Even your username is whining. Boom. ****, I hate little girls like that. Who moan on about Zain Malik and gossip like crazy and think its funny to ****ing giggle all the time and the thing is they're only like 11/12, its ****ing horrible.

It's a work in progress. It's not as simple as 'clean it up', I'll probably have to hire a skip for all the crap. I haven't made anything concrete but Leeds is almost definite really. I swear you wanted to stay in London? It looked like it with the unis you mentioned to me anyway.

I really do not know. You're evil, I knew that previously. Jeremy Kyle is too good, from how rubbish Jeremy is to how even more rubbish the ****ing guests are. Today was a classic episode. I'm not going anymore, I've got a different place sorted. And tbh, I'm damn good at kitchen stuff, washing up, cleaning and making tea (not that I should be telling you this).
Original post by cz100
wow, your experiences all sound pretty, erm, hands on

possed for the effort, even though it was crappy haha

Latest

Trending

Trending