The Student Room Group

[BUSS3] AQA Business Unit 3 anyone? [Friday 10th of June 2011]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Ree-Shay
:woo: one hour before i hit the sacks! taking a 10-20 minute break & then i'll go over lean production, & HR and exam technique.

Quit Copying me :biggrin:

Hope Lean Production comes up, though I doubt they'll do the CPA bit of it again.
Reply 241
Yeah I think i'm gonna stop at 11pm and probably get up for 5ish tomorrow to run over a few last minute things.

Just finishing operations (location) and running onto HR. :h:
Original post by Tjcrazy
Is it right to say that revising Exam Technique is more effective then revising the actual content?

When I did my exam in January I got 27 Marks which is a U and I think it's my exam technique... Not that I would know, cause my teacher did nothing to go through my paper with me (Waste of Β£18).

I've just spent 45 minutes of last-minute revision time, scanning and merging my past (jan 2011) paper together, if anyone wants to help a desperate soul, please have a look!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57476251/Jan-2011-Buss-3?secret_password=1oxlaaekjerm0tmv2w6x

For your last question, you need to take time to plan it, otherwise you wont get into the higher marks.

Just start of with a mind map, one for each bullet point. Aim to get about 3 ideas for each, with information from the case study such as data/ calculations you have made to support this. Then think about how you can develop these points, and the impact and consequences of them, in the short term, long term.

for the last bullet point on judgement, make sure you give your judgement, and what points might depend on, and relate you judgement points to evidence from the case study. Also think about whether or not the options are suitable taking into account things such as the objectives, its resources, the economy.

Another good point for evaluation which seems like it will always come up is talk about information thats not given, which might be required in order to make a definite conclusion, and how it might be used, and how it might effect the overall judgement.
Reply 243
Original post by NW-CG
Quit Copying me :biggrin:

Hope Lean Production comes up, though I doubt they'll do the CPA bit of it again.

Haha - or maybe (just maybe) great mind thing alike :yes:

Original post by Nayberay
Yeah I think i'm gonna stop at 11pm and probably get up for 5ish tomorrow to run over a few last minute things.

Just finishing operations (location) and running onto HR. :h:

Yeah both of them are slightly long-winded - there quite a bit to cover!

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but i seriously think (remember this is just an assumption - don't hold me to it) that the 34 marker will be on Finance as HR came up in JUNE 2010. Also 10 marker should be on marketing as that has not come up yet leaving HR & operations as the 13 marker.
Reply 244
Original post by slacker07906
Is it me who always ends their argument with reference to profit? How can I avoid this? What else can I talk about?

Some other argument points could include:

Long term vs Short term (if the question is about benefits/isses)

Risks Vs rewards, entrepreneurialism (sorry I can't spell it)

"Now or never" what options do they have? is this opportunity going to come again? (more suitable for for and against a plan sort of questions- maybe the 34 marker?)

Qualititive Vs Quantitive in relation to the nature of the business, can quantitive results guarentee accuracy, can we rely on quantitive aspects, is the market unpredictable? (this is suitable in assessing the value of something)

But ultimately, the bottom line for most business is profit, so it's not necessarily a bad one to end up with :smile:
Reply 245
Quick question: what sort of plan do you guys do for the last question - is it merely jotting down things in the margin or on a separate sheet of paper. Also is it that important to incorporate all the other function is the last question?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 246
Quick question: what sort of plan do you guys do for the last question - is it merely jotting down things in the margin or on a separate sheet of paper. Also is it that important to incorporate all the other function is the last question?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I use the first two pages of the Booklet as planning pages (never use it all, though), for making notes and Essay Plans.
I just cross it all out afterwards, so they don't get confused :tongue:

Incorporate only what you see fit... It's not integral to getting you the marks, but it's probably easier to broaden your argument than keep it too focused.

There are some things which can be applied in many situations, like Marketing Mix consideration (Place and Product, mainly), and Profitability stuff...

But I always use the Limitations of Qualitative vs Quantitative Analysis, in whatever Understanding X Strategies Context as part of my evaluation.
Reply 247
Original post by NW-CG
I use the first two pages of the Booklet as planning pages (never use it all, though), for making notes and Essay Plans.
I just cross it all out afterwards, so they don't get confused :tongue:

Incorporate only what you see fit... It's not integral to getting you the marks, but it's probably easier to broaden your argument than keep it too focused.

There are some things which can be applied in many situations, like Marketing Mix consideration (Place and Product, mainly), and Profitability stuff...

But I always use the Limitations of Qualitative vs Quantitative Analysis, in whatever Understanding X Strategies Context as part of my evaluation.

Reply 248
does anyone have the examiner report from jan 2011??
Reply 249
I'm gonna peace out for now, i'm getting too tired to take anymore in, so i'll wake up early tomorrow.

Best of luck to all of you guys. 2 exams tomorrow morning..fml, gonna be in that exam hall from 9 until 12.30. -__-

:h:
Reply 250
I'm off the bed - i'll be back on this thread to check some things about but i might not post anything (my hands will probably be shaking to hard lol)

Good luck everyone!
Yep after doing no revision today im going to call it a day to. Talk to you guys after the exam...hopefully it goes well :smile: good luck
Reply 252
With Q1:
1) it seems as though you haven't taken a minute or two to plan your answer. By planning i don't necessarily mean writing out a plan but merely thinking of some points to develop & choose the best 2 or more. Thus the first two paragraphs could have been cut down to a max of 2 lines.
The question asks about operations - when i think about operations the first things that come to mind are capacity, JIT, CPA, Location & Scale and resource mix - therefore with a question about OP mgmt i know that i am going to talk about those thing in particular. By mentioning Communication you were referring to the HR problems.
Also try & be more concise e.g.
One problem is ... this will lead to ...
Another problem is ... this will lead to ....

Wow, thanks a lot! I would never of thought that.

After re-reading my answer, my answer was defiently not concise; maybe Im making it too complicated?

Original post by sally12379823
For your last question, you need to take time to plan it, otherwise you wont get into the higher marks.

Just start of with a mind map, one for each bullet point. Aim to get about 3 ideas for each, with information from the case study such as data/ calculations you have made to support this. Then think about how you can develop these points, and the impact and consequences of them, in the short term, long term.

for the last bullet point on judgement, make sure you give your judgement, and what points might depend on, and relate you judgement points to evidence from the case study. Also think about whether or not the options are suitable taking into account things such as the objectives, its resources, the economy.

Another good point for evaluation which seems like it will always come up is talk about information thats not given, which might be required in order to make a definite conclusion, and how it might be used, and how it might effect the overall judgement.

This is really helpful too! However, your talking about bullet points.. Maybe I'm an idiot, but what bullet points are you referring too?

Thanks again both of you, I think you might of changed my life. Seriously.
Original post by Tjcrazy
This is really helpful too! However, your talking about bullet points.. Maybe I'm an idiot, but what bullet points are you referring too?

In the question it is usually broken in to three bullets e.g.
Using all the information available to you, complete the following tasks:
? analyse the arguments for the car club proposal
? analyse the arguments against the car club proposal
? make a justified recommendation whether First Cars plc should adopt the car club
proposal. (36 marks)

good luck!!
came to the conclusion i'm going to ace this tomorrow, purely because i'm overconfident yet have little reason to be :smile:, hopefully the exam sees its inferiority to me and hands me some easy questions i know the answers to :smile:
anyone know if we could be asked to do the ARR of an investment, taking NPV in to account? (does this make sense?!)
Original post by natalialikesyou
anyone know if we could be asked to do the ARR of an investment, taking NPV in to account? (does this make sense?!)

There was one in my textbook, but it was purely calculate each, and commment overal (10 marker)l. Or do you mean work out the NPV of each year then do ARR on it?
Original post by fivepoundoff
There was one in my textbook, but it was purely calculate each, and commment overal (10 marker)l. Or do you mean work out the NPV of each year then do ARR on it?

That's brilliant, I assume the 10 marker will only ask for one then, not to work out NPV then do ARR on it, although it might be a useful calculation to do for the larger mark q's.
Thank you!
Eeek what did people get for calculations? I got 2 years 3 months for payback and 29. Sumet million for NPV. I thought I messed up because all I did was the calculations. But my teacher said they would expect you to do calculation then a little statement over it. Thank god lol. But the first question went terribly... horrible questions.
I got Β£29.6mil for NPV and 2years and 13 weeks for payback.

Quick Reply

Latest