The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teaandcoffee
This January? I independently studied Sociology A Level and did the whole thing in Jan, but I retook my Unit 4 Psychology, where I got 62 UMS (C) last August, but in my retake I got 99 UMS (A).

So you're doing Psychology A now?

Hmm I'm not really sure about eating. I don't really like the way my text book outlines it. Looks so dull. Plus I cba learning about the whole digestive tract... do we have to know that in 100% detail? :|

Wow, how much did you write in essays, cause I'm so confused about how much the examiners are looking for in terms of length.
Lol @ the digestive system...do you have Nelson Thornes? They love to waffle :biggrin:

I missed out that whole intro at the beginning of the chapter and I missed out the digestive tract too. If you're talking about evolution...

I was reading the exam reports and they seem to like structure around theories, So I used the tongue senses and stuff:- to explain adaptive behaviour etc and then Neophobia and Taste Aversion theory and some of their commentary to back it up. Basically if it's not directly linked to the spec u don't learn it.... like the waffle about clinical characteristics of eating disorders, they are only in the book to put topics into context.
Would someone just quickly check my plan for group displays? :smile:

Introduction: Quickly define group displays
Sports events are competitive and often display aggression through words and gestures, but why does it occur in crowds?

Social Learning theory: Players are role models/ apspirational and crowds imitate this. Such aggression is seen in NIRS study where they found link between aggression and US football matches.

Evalution: Correlational study so no cause and effect, also it's culture bound to the US which is a country that encourages competitiveness. Also Marsh et al found contact aggression was not the norm and in reports from Strathclyde found after a match between the celtics and rangers there was only five arrests out of 500,000, which was only a 1% increase from non football match days.
Overall the findings are mixed and we can't say for sure why aggression occurs at football matches. Although Marsh suggests that it's a concept that is sensationalised by the media.

Lynch Mobs: Collective group who usually target and kill an individual, paticularly prominent in the US and other countries.

Two explanations based on the lynchings in the US
Sociological power threat: When minority increases so does the amount of lynchings as they are seen as an increasing threat.
Or the self attention theory where the amount of lynchings increases with the increase in mob members.

Leader found support for the self attention theory based on analysing US newspaper reports and photographic evidence. this theory could also be explained by deindividuation and the dehumanising of black african americans.

However Leightweis Goff claims this doesn't explain the blood thirsty nature of lynch mobs.

Conclusion: The evidence suggesting football crowds have are usually no contact contrasts with lynch mobs and suggests that there are different motives that draw crowds together, which may or may not result in aggression. It's also important to note that not all crowds participate in aggression so there must be a variety of factors that influence the outcome of aggression.

Anything else I can add?
I also have a psychodynamic perspective for lynch mobs but I dunno whether I'd fit it in!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty

Sports events are competitive and often display aggression through words and gestures, but why does it occur in crowds?

Social Learning theory: Players are role models/ apspirational and crowds imitate this. Such aggression is seen in NIRS study where they found link between aggression and US football matches.

Evalution: Correlational study so no cause and effect, also it's culture bound to the US which is a country that encourages competitiveness. Also Marsh et al found contact aggression was not the norm and in reports from Strathclyde found after a match between the celtics and rangers there was only five arrests out of 500,000, which was only a 1% increase from non football match days.
Overall the findings are mixed and we can't say for sure why aggression occurs at football matches. Although Marsh suggests that it's a concept that is sensationalised by the media.

Lynch Mobs: Collective group who usually target and kill an individual, paticularly prominent in the US and other countries.

Sociological power threat: When minority increases so does the amount of lynchings as they are seen as an increasing threat.
Or the self attention theory where the amount of lynchings increases with the increase in mob members.

Leader found support for the self attention theory based on analysing US newspaper reports and photographic evidence. this theory could also be explained by deindividuation and the dehumanising of black african americans.

However Leightweis Goff claims this doesn't explain the blood thirsty nature of lynch mobs.

Conclusion: The evidence suggesting football crowds have are usually no contact contrasts with lynch mobs and suggests that there are different motives that draw crowds together, which may or may not result in aggression. It's also important to note that not all crowds participate in aggression so there must be a variety of factors that influence the outcome of aggression.

Anything else I can add?
I also have a psychodynamic perspective for lynch mobs but I dunno whether I'd fit it in!

You could fit Freud (Psychodynamic) in with the Power Threat Hypothesis, cause it is based on evolutionary drives: majority attacks minority in order to promote their own chance of survival. Evolutionary drives are underlying in Freud : The selfish desires of the ID etc

Btw what IS Freud's take on it, I may add it to my essay plan lol :biggrin:

Also as another alternative theory you could add deindividuation (it saves learning time...cause was already in spec) seen in Klu Klux Klan etc

Hope that helps.
Why is everyone doing sports events for group display?! It's worrying me aha, I've done lynch mobs (power threat, dehumanisation and deindividuation) and religious displays (costly signalling and cooperative gains), would those be enough? Or should I do sports events aswelll....
Original post by liamcol123
Why is everyone doing sports events for group display?! It's worrying me aha, I've done lynch mobs (power threat, dehumanisation and deindividuation) and religious displays (costly signalling and cooperative gains), would those be enough? Or should I do sports events aswelll....

Thats enough, its just other people did sports displays instead of religious.
Original post by worthyg
Exactly the same, I'm doing both Unit 3 and 4 and need to get a B overall.. If not, my dreams are ruined and next year I am going to land in a ****ty uni in a ****ty town. so, yeah, pretty much stressed... with no motivation to properly revise.

Oooooh ME TOO. Doing Unit 3 and 4 and NEED a B overall, SNAP!
Original post by GoodOl'CharlieB
You could fit Freud (Psychodynamic) in with the Power Threat Hypothesis, cause it is based on evolutionary drives: majority attacks minority in order to promote their own chance of survival. Evolutionary drives are underlying in Freud : The selfish desires of the ID etc

Btw what IS Freud's take on it, I may add it to my essay plan lol :biggrin:

Also as another alternative theory you could add deindividuation (it saves learning time...cause was already in spec) seen in Klu Klux Klan etc

Hope that helps.

Freud believed aggression occured due to the release of the pent up thanatos which is the innate destruction that drives a person to destruction. This energy can be channelled into an activity that allows release. Lightwies Goff proposed that this aggression could be a collective release as seen in lynch mobs. :smile:
Reply 527
anyone doing Media? I think intense fandom may pop up as it hasn't previously

and also do aqa have to cover everything in every topic within 2 years?
Freud believed aggression occured due to the release of the pent up thanatos which is the innate destruction that drives a person to destruction. This energy can be channelled into an activity that allows release. Lightwies Goff proposed that this aggression could be a collective release as seen in lynch mobs. :smile:

Nice 1 thank you :smile:
Reply 529

Anything else I can add?

It seems we'd mention different things XD Contagion theory by Le Bon seems to be a biggie in the AQA endorsed textbook, maybe that? Convergence theory too perhaps. Also adding in examples of how group displays don't always lead to aggression :smile:
Original post by sillysal
anyone doing Media? I think intense fandom may pop up as it hasn't previously

and also do aqa have to cover everything in every topic within 2 years?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1532524 :smile:

I'm doing media, and I think you could be right! I doubt it'll be anything to do with television or video games.
I'm weakest at media, but looking at the questions in past papers it won't be too much of a headache.
Original post by esachica
It seems we'd mention different things XD Contagion theory by Le Bon seems to be a biggie in the AQA endorsed textbook, maybe that? Convergence theory too perhaps. Also adding in examples of how group displays don't always lead to aggression :smile:

Thaaanks!
From many posts I've managed to piece together what appeared for my questions in January.. all besides Cognitive Development? Does anyone know what came up for this question in the January 2011 paper or know where I could find out?

:smile:
my notes suddenly feel tiny! - this is what i have ( i learnt this from the folens dog book btw)

- Describe lynch mobs, say how it shows group aggression, some evolutionary stuff etc....
- Explain how the social transition model, (how group aggression occurs due to majority feeling threatened due to social change), - proposed by Myrdal and Paterson
-Explain how the Power-threat hypothesis can lead to lynching, (minority that post a threat, are seen as dangerous etc..) -proposed by Blalocks
-Evaluate by talking about a study by boyd and richardson
-an issue with power threat is that its hard to test the model etc....

then for sports events :biggrin:
-wilson - claims it is caused by natural selection, that we should be scared of strangers (xenophobic) to protect us.
- shaw supported this by asying the suspicion towards strangers prevent our ancestors from getting attacked
- Foldesi - study into hungarian football crowds,
- marsh - much of the aggression seen in spots events is not violent, its just ritualistic
-and this can be explained by the power threat hypothesis

then for some IDA stuff
- explain how deindividuation is an alternative
- implications of research into policing.
I have 7 essays to write up and then I will have written every possible essay. If I do two a day I'll be done sunday/monday. I then have a maths exam on thursday so will revise for that only on tuesday and wednesday, then revise psych again thursday night and friday morning... :smile: Then I have saturday off, maybe sunday too if I feel too stressed and failed them :P lol. Then onto revising PE for a day or two, then Stats, have stats exam, then PE exam. D: My plan for the next two weeks. Urgh.
Original post by xChelseyChelsey
I'm going to have notes on:
Perception
Eating
Cognitive

Anyone want me to upload when I've done? Alsooooo, if anyone else has note on these topics they'd like to share that would be great. :wink:

Perception would be great! Let me see what I have and we can swop :P

Ok I have this PDF that I made! They are revision cards so you can print them if its easier to read as I know some appear upside down but its becuase you are meant to fold them etc :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lolly21

Original post by lolly21
Sadly, i think it is possible. antipesto said that its possible even to get a 25 marker on the nature of sleep which would just be horrendous. I have no clue what i could write.. and neither does the book seemingly!
i haven't even learnt the nature of sleep, so that's another thing i have to add to my list :/

ah...just saw what antipesto wrote..thanks antipesto93. I agree...but what would you put for IDAs for nature of sleep?
neither have I...better get to it then I guess...Oh the joy(!) :P
Reply 537
ahh does anyone have any unit 4 research methods notes they would like to share with me?
Reply 538
Original post by sk1234
ahh does anyone have any unit 4 research methods notes they would like to share with me?

yh i really need some too. URGENT
Reply 539
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1532524 :smile:

I'm doing media, and I think you could be right! I doubt it'll be anything to do with television or video games.
I'm weakest at media, but looking at the questions in past papers it won't be too much of a headache.

yeh pretty much everything else in Media has been covered whether it's been 5 mark essays or 25 markers. and intense fandom is the only one left, unless aqa decide to bring up something that's appeared before?
thanks for the link to unit4! ill move there so i don't clogg up this thread :P

Quick Reply

Latest