The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Princess_perfect786
in neuromuscular junctions what is the T system? in the heinemann book it says " depolarisation waves travel down tubules (T system)"

the T junction is the transverse (system) tubules. It runs down the sarcolemma to the sarcomeres.
What happens is that when the sarcolemma (the membrane) depolarises, the depolarization (thus Na+ wave) travels to the T-tubules, which depolarise downwards, causing the sacroplasmic reticulum to release Ca2+ ions (and then contraction stuff).

Do you see what i mean? Its best to see a diagram of it to understand. The link below is a pic i found on google which i think is the simplies way of seeing it. Look at the pic and read the paragraph above i just wrote and see if you can relate the two and understand it.
http://3dotstudio.com/prenhall/nmjcoupling.jpg
do we need to know anything about motor units?
do we need to know anything about motor units?

motor units?? you do need to know about the location of the ganglionic joints in autonomic and somatic system :smile:
Original post by Mobs25
x

thanks, i get it now. congratulations on your medicine offer at King's. That was my first choice when i was making my 4 choices for medicine. :redface:
How did people find the june 2010 paper? I did it earlier and thought it was tough, questions were worded horribly :frown:
Original post by ibysaiyan
motor units?? you do need to know about the location of the ganglionic joints in autonomic and somatic system :smile:

there's a paragraph about it in the heinemann book page 233.
Reply 1046
Original post by 786girl
lol the genomes and gene therapy stuff is quite intetesting hehe

can someone help me with this:
-biological species concept & phylogenetic species concept (are we just meant to know about the difference?)

-genetic drift!

that is alll i promise!

Biological Species concept : group of similar organisms which can interbreed to form fertile offspings. They have similar morphological, physiological and biochemical features.

Phylogentic species concept: group of organisms similar in anatomy, biochemistry, behaviour, morphological etc, so the classification basics.

Genetic Drift: change in the frequency of an allele by chance. This is mainly in small populations where they have been separated from the main population.

btw please keep asking questions its a good way for everyone to revise... if we can explain it for you and us to understand then we understand it better ourselves! so keep asking! your doing everyone a big favour!!! :smile:

Difference between the two, PSC looks are the evolutionary relationship whereas BSC looks at biochemistry more (thus offspings fertility).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1047
thanks, i get it now. congratulations on your medicine offer at King's. That was my first choice when i was making my 4 choices for medicine. :redface:

great, welcome. And wow, what happened? Did you not end up applying to kings? or did u get in somewer else?
Whats the difference between PP and GPP??
Reply 1049
Original post by sportycricketer

wer is that from? page? is it genome sequencing?
Original post by Mobs25
wer is that from? page? is it genome sequencing?

Module 3.. Primary Productivity and Gross Primary Productivity
Reply 1051
What is a ganglionic joint? I can safely say ive never heard of it before...
Original post by Mobs25
great, welcome. And wow, what happened? Did you not end up applying to kings? or did u get in somewer else?

4 rejections :frown:
Reply 1053
Module 3.. Primary Productivity and Gross Primary Productivity

Productivity is the rate at which energy is made at each trophic level. When looking at Primary Productivity your looking at the plants and the energy they make. The Gross PP is the rate at which the chemical energy is made. The due to respiration etc that energy is lost... so the Net PP is the remaining energy.

Original post by Popey93
What is a ganglionic joint? I can safely say ive never heard of it before...

ganglionic joint is the joint at the wrists.. we do not need to know about it, we need to know about the synovial joint which is the elbow joint.

4 rejections :frown:

Im sorry to hear that, i got rejected from all other med uni's... i mainly applied outside london thinking i would have a better chance... i didnt!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Waqar Y
What do you mean by linked genes?

If you look in the OCR book you will find a page all about sex linked genes, recessive and dominant alleles and how they interact and codominance and also about linked genes which Science Rules has kindly summarised below:

Linkage is when two or more genes are located on the same chromosome. thsi is usually because they don't segregate independently during anaphase I of meiosis. It reduces the number of phenotypes resulting from the cross. I just carry out a normal cross but take all the information they give you into consideration- seems to work on

:smile:

PP is the productivity of plants. GPP is the is the rate at which plants convert light energy to chemical energy. NPP is GPP-R. (R= respiratory heat loss)
Reply 1056
Original post by Mobs25

ganglionic joint is the joint at the wrists.. we do not need to know about it, we need to know about the synovial joint which is the elbow joint.

Oh right! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1057
guyss has a question on transcription/translation come up on the june 2010/jan 2011 paper or not???
Original post by jak67m
guyss has a question on transcription/translation come up on the june 2010/jan 2011 paper or not???

Yep in june 2010, 8 marks :smile:
Original post by Waqar Y
Relax, it's fine - it just happens on the system i think lol

btw, i was meaning to ask - what's your signature about?

I hope so, thanks.

The signature is about the Libyan revolution - shows the old Kingdom flag with Sheikh Omar al Mokhtar (a fantastic military leader who fought the nazi fascists, with all their tanks and artillery, in Libya using only rifle -armed horseback riders and lightly armed men from the villages) who is known as being the 'Lion of the Desert' hence the Lion :smile:

There's also a film called Lion of the Desert about the great Mujahid.

Quick Reply

Latest