The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
oh yes, i'm just talking about hardcore drugs, of cooourse we need medicines... and... kind of... need... alcohol :mmm:
oh that sounds... exhilarating, all i do for maths is sit at the back of the class and teach myself ¬¬

oooo, i think the funniest experiment we've done was when our teacher blew up a jelly-baby... it looked like a firework :laugh:

pfft, don't lie, you're jelling so badly that you're going to look like this...

What would i do without my cetirizine hydrochloride o_O and weed is good to take away the pain for cancer patients! well thats their arguement anyway.

Sounds like you go to a nice supportive school. Haha, the maths conference wasn't that great, kinda a waste of money. the knitting lady was frigging bananas and we nearly died of boredom.

In economics... we learn about trade and and... damn! I'm losing again. Oh oh oh! In maths... we watched mean girls! so ha! :biggrin:

*when doing integration*
me: so if the limit never approaches anything... the limit does not exist!?
teacher: :K: *not really related to what i just said but* ... yes

it's such an educational film, I learnt how to spell xylocarp.

Haha that pic made me lol... wanna hear a great joke!?

Two atoms are walking down the street
Atom 1: Hey i think i lost an electron :frown:
Atom 2: are you sure?
Atom 1: yes, I'm positive

Trust me. They get worse. On a brighter note. 2 new elements on the periodic table! all that re-printing... killing more trees :frown:
Original post by Brand New Eyes
another maths conference? :O keen? Guess you're applying for maths then :smile:

Not quite - it's this

And I haven't seen him anywhere before, but I've heard him on podcasts (yes, I listen to maths podcasts :tongue: )

And yeah, maths with computer science (I applied last year, so I have an offer to start this year)

p.s. holy ****! you did 8 maths modules... I only got to do 3 :frown: stupid school! only FP1,2 and 3 and another decision for you! *is jealous*

Last year I did C1-4, D1, S1-3, in January this year I did M1, M2, FP1, this summer I'm doing FP2, FP3, M3, M4 (and STEP 2 and 3, but they're not modules so I suppose they don't count) - ending up with further additional maths AS
Original post by LtCommanderData
Not quite - it's this

And I haven't seen him anywhere before, but I've heard him on podcasts (yes, I listen to maths podcasts :tongue: )

And yeah, maths with computer science (I applied last year, so I have an offer to start this year)

Last year I did C1-4, D1, S1-3, in January this year I did M1, M2, FP1, this summer I'm doing FP2, FP3, M3, M4 (and STEP 2 and 3, but they're not modules so I suppose they don't count) - ending up with further additional maths AS

Oh congrats! why on you on the 2012 thread? :smile: my my, these nerd fests are popular, sold out! Are you pi-curious <3 aww

*is confused*

I swear doing FP1 + 2 + 3 + 3 decisions = further maths A Level (not just AS) ?
Unless you're on MEI? or not edexcel? Ah step 2 + 3! :eek: now THAT, is hardcore maths. It's not a requirement, did you just do it for the edge, or for the pure love of maths :smile: Also surprised you didn't do D2 + (is there a D3?) seeing as it's computer based kindof.

hey! maybe one day, you'll crack one of those millenium problems, still 6 left!
What would i do without my cetirizine hydrochloride o_O and weed is good to take away the pain for cancer patients! well thats their arguement anyway.

Sounds like you go to a nice supportive school. Haha, the maths conference wasn't that great, kinda a waste of money. the knitting lady was frigging bananas and we nearly died of boredom.

In economics... we learn about trade and and... damn! I'm losing again. Oh oh oh! In maths... we watched mean girls! so ha! :biggrin:

*when doing integration*
me: so if the limit never approaches anything... the limit does not exist!?
teacher: :K: *not really related to what i just said but* ... yes

it's such an educational film, I learnt how to spell xylocarp.

Haha that pic made me lol... wanna hear a great joke!?

Two atoms are walking down the street
Atom 1: Hey i think i lost an electron :frown:
Atom 2: are you sure?
Atom 1: yes, I'm positive

Trust me. They get worse. On a brighter note. 2 new elements on the periodic table! all that re-printing... killing more trees :frown:

ahh it's not unsupportive, just that i started my AS maths exams earlier than most of my class, so there's no point me listening to stuff i've already done the exam in :tongue:
Wooow, you have a lot of random things floating around your head, that's a good thing though, makes you interesting :biggrin: but how you can ever concentrate is beyond me! then again... i was meant to start a C3 paper at midnight :redface:
ahahah i love geeky jokes! *although the ones in the CGP book are the worst* i even do it with language grammatical terms with one of my friends... "i think i may be needing to use the subjunctive" sounds a lot more clever than "i doubt it" :wink:

:eek: and OMG. instantly googling this... :biggrin: ah, how lovely to know that these little atoms are finally being given their rightful place and a proper name :tongue:
Oh congrats! why on you on the 2012 thread?

A few reasons - to give advice every now and then, to procrastinate, and to enjoy some of the excitement without the anxiety that came with it when I was in your position!

*is confused*

I swear doing FP1 + 2 + 3 + 3 decisions = further maths A Level (not just AS) ?
Unless you're on MEI? or not edexcel? Ah step 2 + 3! :eek: now THAT, is hardcore maths. It's not a requirement, did you just do it for the edge, or for the pure love of maths :smile: Also surprised you didn't do D2 + (is there a D3?) seeing as it's computer based kindof.

Yeah, I am doing a total of 15 modules (8 last year, 3 in January, 4 this summer), leading to maths a level (finished last year), further maths a level, and further additional maths AS. Regarding D2, I am interested in algorithms, but I do enough maths modules already, and I can read about algorithms at my leisure :smile:

Yeah, doing STEP for fun

hey! maybe one day, you'll crack one of those millenium problems, still 6 left!

Haha, I'd love to prove the Riemann, or solve P vs NP, but I think the number of A-level mathematics modules and my pleasure at maths is pretty tenuous evidence for the idea that I could manage it :tongue:
A few reasons - to give advice every now and then, to procrastinate, and to enjoy some of the excitement without the anxiety that came with it when I was in your position!

Yeah, I am doing a total of 15 modules (8 last year, 3 in January, 4 this summer), leading to maths a level (finished last year), further maths a level, and further additional maths AS. Regarding D2, I am interested in algorithms, but I do enough maths modules already, and I can read about algorithms at my leisure :smile:

Yeah, doing STEP for fun

Haha, I'd love to prove the Riemann, or solve P vs NP, but I think the number of A-level mathematics modules and my pleasure at maths is pretty tenuous evidence for the idea that I could manage it :tongue:

aww! yes TSR is very distracting. Give you something to do :biggrin:

ooh i see! so the extra decisions led to FMA AS :smile: gotcha. Haha I'm sure you'll be swimming in algorithms next year! STEP is fun o_O?

That reminds me!

(after watching simpsons clip*
Matt Parker: So did anyone catch the formula
Guy: P = NP
Matt: ah the classic problem... and no, N is NOT one

(still don;t really understand it but... it would be so simple if it were just one!)

Riemann...bears some recollection. It was in Numbers (the TV show). Somewhere down the line then! in the near future/lifetime

p.s. Haven't quite mastered the art of separate quoting so... :smile: bear with
ahh it's not unsupportive, just that i started my AS maths exams earlier than most of my class, so there's no point me listening to stuff i've already done the exam in :tongue:
Wooow, you have a lot of random things floating around your head, that's a good thing though, makes you interesting :biggrin: but how you can ever concentrate is beyond me! then again... i was meant to start a C3 paper at midnight :redface:
ahahah i love geeky jokes! *although the ones in the CGP book are the worst* i even do it with language grammatical terms with one of my friends... "i think i may be needing to use the subjunctive" sounds a lot more clever than "i doubt it" :wink:

:eek: and OMG. instantly googling this... :biggrin: ah, how lovely to know that these little atoms are finally being given their rightful place and a proper name :tongue:

Ah see, isn't there a fast track group for maths?

Haha, it's a curse! I like tangents and going along them (get it! get it! puns are just awful)

C3 is aaages away, you have a week :biggrin: midnight? are you a vampire? do you function like a non solar powered calculator at night? (sometimes my wit just astounds me, i REALLY should have my own show :rolleyes:)

em gee, i remember CGP from GCSE, i didnt buy any revision books this year, such a waste! I would tell you all my *cough* hilarious economics/philosphy jokes, but you might not get them. They genuinely are hilarious.... like ROFL LMAO omg I have lost all bladder control funny.

HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW!? call yourself a chemistry student! tehe :smile:
aww! yes TSR is very distracting. Give you something to do :biggrin:
ooh i see! so the extra decisions led to FMA AS :smile: gotcha. Haha I'm sure you'll be swimming in algorithms next year! STEP is fun o_O?

That reminds me!

(after watching simpsons clip*
Matt Parker: So did anyone catch the formula
Guy: P = NP
Matt: ah the classic problem... and no, N is NOT one

(still don;t really understand it but... it would be so simple if it were just one!)

Riemann...bears some recollection. It was in Numbers (the TV show). Somewhere down the line then! in the near future/lifetime

STEP is fun if you're me - it's not as routine and ultimately dull as A-level questions, and if, like for me, the result has no bearing on anything, there's no pressure! Which makes a nice change from A-level stuff which is dull and affects the future :frown:

P = NP is interesting, and I think I understand the general idea, but I don't know a lot of the theory behind it. The Riemann hypothesis is one of the biggest open problems in number theory.

For quoting, have you tried clicking the little + signs at the bottom right of each post you want to quote?

Haha, it's a curse! I like tangents and going along them (get it! get it! puns are just awful)

C3 is aaages away, you have a week :biggrin: midnight? are you a vampire? do you function like a non solar powered calculator at night? (sometimes my wit just astounds me, i REALLY should have my own show :rolleyes:)

em gee, i remember CGP from GCSE, i didnt buy any revision books this year, such a waste! I would tell you all my *cough* hilarious economics/philosphy jokes, but you might not get them. They genuinely are hilarious.... like ROFL LMAO omg I have lost all bladder control funny.

There's no fast track groups for anything at my school :tongue:
Ahahha, well while you go off on a tangent, i'm just going to stay normal :wink:
:| my C3 exam is on monday, then as soon as it's over i'm getting a coach to london to start work experience the next day (and i'm staying with my friend's aunt who i've never met for 4 days before my friend arrives) :eek:
oooh if i'm a vampire than i get to be sparkly!
:wink: oh gawd, i bet you have lists and lists and lists you exuberant person! and OHMY, please don't tell me you've actually just wet yourself! :eek: :mmm:
ahh i'm not very good at doing work related things at home... instead i'm always doing French :redface:

and you multi-quote by pressing the '+' button that is next to the 'Quote' button, press this button for all the quotes you want and they'll appear in the reply box at the bottom of the page ;D
There's no fast track groups for anything at my school :tongue:
Ahahha, well while you go off on a tangent, i'm just going to stay normal :wink:
:| my C3 exam is on monday, then as soon as it's over i'm getting a coach to london to start work experience the next day (and i'm staying with my friend's aunt who i've never met for 4 days before my friend arrives) :eek:
oooh if i'm a vampire than i get to be sparkly!
:wink: oh gawd, i bet you have lists and lists and lists you exuberant person! and OHMY, please don't tell me you've actually just wet yourself! :eek: :mmm:
ahh i'm not very good at doing work related things at home... instead i'm always doing French :redface:

There's two at mine :frown: aww. one normal and one further maths
Ah look at us and our subtle maths irony. Our teachers would be so proud xD
Oh, thought it was next friday... ah well AGES! 4 whole days! Lol London, where you working?
I have three tips for you
1. you are 15 (this saves me about £5 everyday on travel and it WORKS :biggrin:)
2. crossing the road when cars are inches away is totally normal. and you will get away unscathed... most of the time
3. erm cant really think of one.

OH HELL NO... a twilight fan *dashes to guillotine* Sparkly... if you're into that kinda thing *cough* ahem glitter

lists and lists? of econ/philosophy jokes? OFCOURSE I DO! :laugh: what kind of oxford applicant would i be if i didn't (and dont you dare say a normal one)

Why did God invent economists?
... to make metereologists look good. *drum outro*

Don't be silly! I'm 16 not 86! If i did i would be extremely worried.

tu as parle francais? full stop. And there ends my grasp of the french language.

and you multi-quote by pressing the '+' button that is next to the 'Quote' button, press this button for all the quotes you want and they'll appear in the reply box at the bottom of the page ;D

YAY got it :smile:
There's two at mine :frown: aww. one normal and one further maths
Ah look at us and our subtle maths irony. Our teachers would be so proud xD
Oh, thought it was next friday... ah well AGES! 4 whole days! Lol London, where you working?
I have three tips for you
1. you are 15 (this saves me about £5 everyday on travel and it WORKS :biggrin:)
2. crossing the road when cars are inches away is totally normal. and you will get away unscathed... most of the time
3. erm cant really think of one.

OH HELL NO... a twilight fan *dashes to guillotine* Sparkly... if you're into that kinda thing *cough* ahem glitter

lists and lists? of econ/philosophy jokes? OFCOURSE I DO! :laugh: what kind of oxford applicant would i be if i didn't (and dont you dare say a normal one)

Why did God invent economists?
... to make metereologists look good. *drum outro*

Don't be silly! I'm 16 not 86! If i did i would be extremely worried.

tu as parle francais? full stop. And there ends my grasp of the french language.

YAY got it :smile:

:wink: ah well fun for you and your advanced maths!
i'm working at Imperial's Hospitals (Hammersmith, St Mary's, and i have to go to Charing Cross at some point which looks ridiculously huge), it's going to be interesting... considering where i live my nearest hospital is the size of a big house :tongue:
ah, i'm just going to get a travelcard when i get there :redface: and yes, i'll try my hardest not to get run over!
ahaha :laugh: aww it's nice to some someone who really enjoys their subjects so much, i find it so hard to not have my teachers put me off... they just seem so lacking in passion about everything :tongue:
... dw, i'm already worried about your sanity :wink:

'you have speak french'... ermmm.... oui, un peu, je peux essayer de parler en francais, bien que je sache que j'ai besoin d'améliorer :wink:

Yeah, doing STEP for fun

*flabbergasted* :eek: Someone loves maths! I'm a maths fan myself too, to be honest, throughtout the year, and then when it comes to the exams I suddenly freak out and hate every subject (except economics, which is intrinsically a loveable subject as it is perfect and worshipped even through revising, yadda yadda)

As for the advice, I could only rep you once, but multiply that by a googolplex (unimaginably large number but obviously you know this)...
:biggrin: As you can see, I'm well versed in mathematic facts. Once I actually find out what it is about vecotrs that I can't stand, I will be sure to PM you :beer:

Freeaking hell, STEP too? :albertein: It's people like you that make me think "Oxford". My friend in the year above got in this year for Med, yet he's an insane further mathematician, AEA distinction last year, 597/600 UMS in his Maths A2 he's doing STEP for fun too! :hmmmm2:

Oh holy crap, you're crazy aren't you? :dancing:
:wink: ah well fun for you and your advanced maths!
i'm working at Imperial's Hospitals (Hammersmith, St Mary's, and i have to go to Charing Cross at some point which looks ridiculously huge), it's going to be interesting... considering where i live my nearest hospital is the size of a big house :tongue:
ah, i'm just going to get a travelcard when i get there :redface: and yes, i'll try my hardest not to get run over!
ahaha :laugh: aww it's nice to some someone who really enjoys their subjects so much, i find it so hard to not have my teachers put me off... they just seem so lacking in passion about everything :tongue:
... dw, i'm already worried about your sanity :wink:

'you have speak french'... ermmm.... oui, un peu, je peux essayer de parler en francais, bien que je sache que j'ai besoin d'améliorer :wink:

I see. An adult travelcard zone 1-4 is... £10 a day last time i checked i think :P

Oh dear, well we all know who'll be laughing in the end... not to quote mean girls too much but "SUCK ON THAT" <3 ah janice. :smile: my teachers are too passionate... except one... or two... actually only 2/7 have passion, I think it's in the teacher's code/rulebook

MY sanity :frown: HEY! I am very sane, and normal, just ask my therapist! or my parole officer... or the guy I accidentally put in a coma... oh wait

Oh gosh, my french really has deteriorated. *witholds urge to use google translate*

yes, a little, you want to learn to speak french, because you *i dont know what sache means* you wish to improve
Original post by Bright Lights

Oh holy crap, you're crazy aren't you? :dancing:

:frown: ... that's what my shrink says!
I see. An adult travelcard zone 1-4 is... £10 a day last time i checked i think :P

Oh dear, well we all know who'll be laughing in the end... not to quote mean girls too much but &quot;SUCK ON THAT&quot; &lt;3 ah janice. :smile: my teachers are too passionate... except one... or two... actually only 2/7 have passion, I think it's in the teacher's code/rulebook

MY sanity :frown: HEY! I am very sane, and normal, just ask my therapist! or my parole officer... or the guy I accidentally put in a coma... oh wait

Oh gosh, my french really has deteriorated. *witholds urge to use google translate*

yes, a little, you want to learn to speak french, because you *i dont know what sache means* you wish to improve

:smile: i only need a zone 1-2 card, i think it's about £30 for the week :tongue:
:laugh: my stats teacher is really passionate... he's like... "i bet you've been awake all night because you were so exciting about having statistics today", the funny thing is that he isn't even joking :redface:
calm! all the best people are... insane... sane is just a fancy way of saying boring :tongue:
ah yes, close! *yes, a bit, i can try to speak in french, although i know that i need to improve, 'sache' is savoir in the 'present subjunctive' tense :wink:
Original post by Bright Lights
*flabbergasted* :eek: Someone loves maths! I'm a maths fan myself too, to be honest, throughtout the year, and then when it comes to the exams I suddenly freak out and hate every subject (except economics, which is intrinsically a loveable subject as it is perfect and worshipped even through revising, yadda yadda)

As for the advice, I could only rep you once, but multiply that by a googolplex (unimaginably large number but obviously you know this)...
:biggrin: As you can see, I'm well versed in mathematic facts. Once I actually find out what it is about vecotrs that I can't stand, I will be sure to PM you :beer:

Freeaking hell, STEP too? :albertein: It's people like you that make me think &quot;Oxford&quot;. My friend in the year above got in this year for Med, yet he's an insane further mathematician, AEA distinction last year, 597/600 UMS in his Maths A2 he's doing STEP for fun too! :hmmmm2:

I feel like that about Physics - I love the subject, except when I have a lot of Physics homework, or exams coming up :frown:

Googolplex facts:
Apparently 'google' was originally a misspelling of the word googol (they should have googled it to check, too late now), and the google headquarters is known as the googleplex. If you like very large numbers, I recommend Graham's number

597/600 - I bet he's kicking himself over those 3 UMS points! I have a friend who got 100% at A2 History and ninety-something % at AS. He was very pleased on AS results day, but after getting 100% at A2 he wished he'd done better - although it doesn't really matter, apart from personal satisfaction
:smile: i only need a zone 1-2 card, i think it's about £30 for the week :tongue:
:laugh: my stats teacher is really passionate... he's like... "i bet you've been awake all night because you were so exciting about having statistics today", the funny thing is that he isn't even joking :redface:
calm! all the best people are... insane... sane is just a fancy way of saying boring :tongue:
ah yes, close! *yes, a bit, i can try to speak in french, although i know that i need to improve, 'sache' is savoir in the 'present subjunctive' tense :wink:

Aww! my politics teacher is abit keen bless her. She's new and we're her first ever class coz she just graduated. She puts exclamation marks all over our essays when she marks <3

are you telling me to calm down? *shoots* That seems to be true, zuckerberg, jobs, einstein. Although I don't think anyone is sane, everyone has a bit of kook in them.

Hmm whatever you say dear, subjunctive, injunctive I don't even know what this means in english xP just fancy words made up by language techs.

grr! WHY WONT IT LET ME PASTE! :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdsoFZxk7DU
Guy does 23 A levels...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7863473.stm
and I thought we had it bad...:confused::eek::confused::eek:
Aww! my politics teacher is abit keen bless her. She's new and we're her first ever class coz she just graduated. She puts exclamation marks all over our essays when she marks &lt;3

are you telling me to calm down? *shoots* That seems to be true, zuckerberg, jobs, einstein. Although I don't think anyone is sane, everyone has a bit of kook in them.

Hmm whatever you say dear, subjunctive, injunctive I don't even know what this means in english xP just fancy words made up by language techs.

grr! WHY WONT IT LET ME PASTE! :frown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdsoFZxk7DU

she sounds far more interesting than my teachers! and yeeees, if anyone was just 'normal' though, they'd be like the most boring person ever :|
:biggrin: nyomm nyomm nyomm i love long silly technical language words, prepositions, declensions, ablatives, dummy auxiliaries...
an ooooh french! :biggrin: i immediately like him!

Guy does 23 A levels...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7863473.stm
and I thought we had it bad...:confused::eek::confused::eek:

...he got a C in one... now that just ruins the 21 As... :mmm: but seriously... he must love exams... a lot :|

Anyway, i must be off to sleep, i need to go into school tomorrow to print off maps of London and the hospitals, then wander into town to get some passport photos taken, and then have another meals with a different group of friends to again celebrate the end of exams... even though i still have C3 left, grr, bonne nuit tout le monde :smile:
ergh just sitting in the school library now... i wish this library actually has some decent books in, it's more like a computer room :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending