The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacke02
Ooh cool, and for that person I got a letter from corpus saying that oversees students can arrive early, probably the same for all other colleges. Is May week after exams in June (isn't it in may)? It sounds good :smile:

It is ten days in June. Stupid name, I know... this year's begins officially on Sunday 19th (Suicide Sunday - to celebrate the fact we haven't killed ourselves during exams :biggrin:) and is when all the May balls / garden parties are. It's the light at the end of the tunnel!
Reply 1761
Original post by timsquirrell
Do you know if there's any possibility of moving in any earlier if we're from overseas?

I'm certain you can, but you should probably check with your college just to be sure. Just email the admissions tutor, they'd be happy to help :smile:
Normally, you can arrive the week before fresher's weeks. Christ's have said we can arrive on the 29th of September at the earliest, but it may vary slightly from college to college. :smile:

Oh and to whoever asked the original question, but course start date, they generally tend to mean "the week beginning [insert date here]"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1762
anyone here for mphil economics?
Got my offer for Emmanuel - 41 IB points with 7,7,6 in any 3 of my 4 Highers... and results day less than a month away!

What do you think my odds are of getting in if I only get 40 with 7,6,6 in my Highers? Can't stop worrying about missing the offer! :frown:
Reply 1764
Original post by AlexHirons
Got my offer for Emmanuel - 41 IB points with 7,7,6 in any 3 of my 4 Highers... and results day less than a month away!

What do you think my odds are of getting in if I only get 40 with 7,6,6 in my Highers? Can't stop worrying about missing the offer! :frown:

Firstly, don't panic, I'm sure you're just worrying too much (We all do it :P)
Secondly, say that for some reason you miss your offer by a point - most colleges will immediately look at relaxing your offer if you've just narrowly missed it. Also, it depends which highers you lose your point in ..
I don't know what you're hoping to read next year, but if it's not a directly related IB subject that you lose a point in, I'm sure they won't mind.

Thirdly, unfortunately, if you do miss your offer, the chances are that your college will make you wait until A level results come out (which is the 18th of August this year) before they decide what to do with you. That's what happened to a few of my friends last year, anyway.

Don't worry about it though! You can cross that bridge if and when you get there! :smile:
Original post by beanie55
hey guys! new to this thread, but thought it'd be cool to chat Cambridge with some of you guys :smile: so anyone else here gonna be over at Robinson next year?
Im kinda glad to read that everyone else is stressing over results, exams, revision etc as much as i am. THERES SO MUCH PRESSURE! but Im sure it will be worth it :biggrin:

I know this is a really late response to your question, but I really hope I'll be doing English at Robinson :smile:
Reply 1766

I've got an offer for history at selwyn... is there anyone else who has an offer for history who has received a reading list? there is one on the internet for those doing history at King's but I haven't received any information... it's making me worry that perhaps my offer was a mirage...
Original post by kiki-b
I've got an offer for history at selwyn... is there anyone else who has an offer for history who has received a reading list? there is one on the internet for those doing history at King's but I haven't received any information... it's making me worry that perhaps my offer was a mirage...

Send an e-mail to the admissions tutor if you're keen, just say that you haven't finalised everything yet but are confident of doing so and would they care to share the reading list with you?
Original post by kpatb
Firstly, don't panic, I'm sure you're just worrying too much (We all do it :P)
Secondly, say that for some reason you miss your offer by a point - most colleges will immediately look at relaxing your offer if you've just narrowly missed it. Also, it depends which highers you lose your point in ..
I don't know what you're hoping to read next year, but if it's not a directly related IB subject that you lose a point in, I'm sure they won't mind.

Thirdly, unfortunately, if you do miss your offer, the chances are that your college will make you wait until A level results come out (which is the 18th of August this year) before they decide what to do with you. That's what happened to a few of my friends last year, anyway.

Don't worry about it though! You can cross that bridge if and when you get there! :smile:

Haha, I suppose it would be more worrying if I wasn't worried... :tongue:

I'm hoping to be an Arch and Anther! :biggrin: My Highers are Psychology, English, Soc&Cul Anthropology and Biology... They didn't specify grades in specific Highers, and as there isn't an Anthropology A-level, having someone on the course with any experience of the subject isn't the norm really, so I don't think they'll mind a 6 in it... But maybe they will, who knows? :confused: I mean, all of my Highers are relevant in some way :s-smilie:

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting to have to wait until August, which is gutting... I'm tearing my hair out as it is! :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
have people heard from their colleges about accomodation etc. yet? i havent heard anything since i firmed my choice... for christs btw.
Original post by kenyan1231
have people heard from their colleges about accomodation etc. yet? i havent heard anything since i firmed my choice... for christs btw.

Nay, I'm rather annoyed at the whole thing really. King's didn't reply to anything I asked them, and then when I got the forms for filling out disability/long-term illness for the whole university (myself having the latter which affects my accommodation) I emailed them off expressing my concern and the disability office didn't even bother to email me back either! Literally sent months ago now.

I sense we just have to play the waiting game and wait til they tell us what's going on, and then you can sort it out nearer the time sadly. But yeah I am rather irritated by it all
FRESHERS! If you're waiting to hear about accommodation/reading lists etc., don't worry - it isn't sorted out until fairly soon before you arrive. Don't worry, they won't have forgotten you! Comrade_Jon, the DRC take a little while to sort things out, because as you can imagine they're very busy, but there's no harm in sending them a follow-up email just to check that things are in place.

If anyone would like any advice about reading English or Robinson College, or even reading English at Robinson (I imagine there's a post at the beginning of the thread with who's doing what at which college, but I have two essays to write and damn it, I'm lazy), feel free to PM me. Also, try not to worry too much about reading lots before you get up here, or spending every moment fretting over your results. I did both, and it did me no favours. Just try and relax, enjoy the summer, and look forward to arriving at Cambridge!
Reply 1772

Actaully, au contraire, Christ's have sent out quite a few emails since they sent out offer letters.
Also if you go to the Christ's website, there is a page for 2011 freshers which clearly states that they will be sending us information about accomodation at the end of june/beginning of July.
We get letters of confirmaton, along with letters from our tutors, reading lists etc. in August soon after results day. We are sent Freshers packs from the JCR in Early September. (Again this is all on the Prospective Students --> Fresher's 2011 page)

If you haven't been recieving any of the above information, you should probably make sure that the college have got your email and postal address right.

What subject? :smile:
I'm hoping to do NatSci (at Christ's obviously)
i am assuming that when they put their mins to it, they'll be able to sort it all out easily enough... you'd think they'd be better at getting back to you, especially about something like that comrade jon.
oh, thanks, thats reassuring, i had a quick glance at the christs website, maybe actually reading it would be better! i was just a little worried that i never actuall got any confirmation that they'd got my ucas response, but i can check that easily enough. i'm also natsci, probably physical-ish, altho i'd really want to do all the modules! in fact, i think i've seen you on the facebook group?
Original post by charlottesometimes
FRESHERS! If you're waiting to hear about accommodation/reading lists etc., don't worry - it isn't sorted out until fairly soon before you arrive. Don't worry, they won't have forgotten you! Comrade_Jon, the DRC take a little while to sort things out, because as you can imagine they're very busy, but there's no harm in sending them a follow-up email just to check that things are in place.

If anyone would like any advice about reading English or Robinson College, or even reading English at Robinson (I imagine there's a post at the beginning of the thread with who's doing what at which college, but I have two essays to write and damn it, I'm lazy), feel free to PM me. Also, try not to worry too much about reading lots before you get up here, or spending every moment fretting over your results. I did both, and it did me no favours. Just try and relax, enjoy the summer, and look forward to arriving at Cambridge!

Thanks for the advice, I just sent a quick forward message asking for confirmation over receipt.

EDIT: Just for reference about my previous message, the King's nurse was very kind and dealt with preliminary questions. It was she who recommended I send a detailed email to the accommodation officer - and indeed I did. No response, BUT the King's offerholders page was updated to a rather cheeky message about 'can not deal with accommodation, even for firm offerholders' which seemed a blatant reference to myself as an unconditional candidate and I just found it rather offensive that I didn't get anything back but that! Ah well, at least the nurse was very kind and I can understand if the DRC are very busy, but the college have made me sad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1775
oh, thanks, thats reassuring, i had a quick glance at the christs website, maybe actually reading it would be better! i was just a little worried that i never actuall got any confirmation that they'd got my ucas response, but i can check that easily enough. i'm also natsci, probably physical-ish, altho i'd really want to do all the modules! in fact, i think i've seen you on the facebook group?

I would rather be anonymous on here, but yes, you probably have seen me on the FB group :smile:
Don't worry about not receiving a confirmation after firming on UCAS. They did reply to my email right after I got my offer saying that I would be accepting (even though I hadn't firmed it on UCAS at that stage).

As you say, if you're very concerned, just email and ask :smile:

(Again, about a month or two ago, you should have recieved an email or a letter in the post telling you about the fact that the page was updated for 2011 Fresher's... make sure that the college have your email and or postal address :smile: )

I'm Physical NatSci toooo! I'm going to do Physics, Chemistry but not sure about my last module.
Original post by comrade_jon
But the college have made me sad.

Was that the reason for those very, very abusive emails? :p:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

It won't let me rep you Charles, so:

:clap2:
Original post by comrade_jon
Thanks for the advice, I just sent a quick forward message asking for confirmation over receipt.

EDIT: Just for reference about my previous message, the King's nurse was very kind and dealt with preliminary questions. It was she who recommended I send a detailed email to the accommodation officer - and indeed I did. No response, BUT the King's offerholders page was updated to a rather cheeky message about 'can not deal with accommodation, even for firm offerholders' which seemed a blatant reference to myself as an unconditional candidate and I just found it rather offensive that I didn't get anything back but that! Ah well, at least the nurse was very kind and I can understand if the DRC are very busy, but the college have made me sad.

Ahh, yes I can see why that would make you sad! Bloody King's :P No, in all seriousness, they've probably had lots of emails from offer-holders about accommodation; don't worry, I sincerely doubt they were referring to you alone. I do think that as someone who's going to need special accommodation, you were actually doing a very sensible thing letting them know in advance, and it seems a bit unfair not to reply, but....Anyway, I'm trying to remember and I seem to remember having to fill in my accommodation form for college before I got my results, so you should hopefully hear within a few weeks. When you do, it might be an idea to direct their attention back to your previous email! At the end of the day, don't worry - you're guaranteed accommodation, and they have to find accommodation to suit your needs.
Reply 1779
Original post by Doughnuts!!

so. the. win :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending