The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by lmfw
Well my offer's ABB :tongue:, noo failing we're going to Manchester! Good luck!

Haha yep, we're getting in no matter what!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Rosi M
Haha ahright ok thank you :smile: x

No probs :smile: x
Reply 1082
Original post by heartskippedabeat
No probs :smile: x

Hows revision getting along? :smile:

Im sat on the computer, going through random bits from the book, reading computer notes and god knows what else. All over the place :frown:

This is really badly stressful. Not healthy at all!
Original post by Rosi M
Hows revision getting along? :smile:

Im sat on the computer, going through random bits from the book, reading computer notes and god knows what else. All over the place :frown:

This is really badly stressful. Not healthy at all!

Not too good :frown:
I've made my own notes, basically filled an a4 notebook and now I'm typing them up, I've done a past paper and been reading over bits aswell, but none of it's really going in :frown: And I'm scared that even if I know the module inside out, all the application and synoptic questions will throw me off :tongue:

Ahh I know I'm so stressed! Not long and it'll be over though :redface:
What grade are you aiming for?
Reply 1084
Not too good :frown:
I've made my own notes, basically filled an a4 notebook and now I'm typing them up, I've done a past paper and been reading over bits aswell, but none of it's really going in :frown: And I'm scared that even if I know the module inside out, all the application and synoptic questions will throw me off :tongue:

Ahh I know I'm so stressed! Not long and it'll be over though :redface:
What grade are you aiming for?

Im going to go crazy with past papers from today afternoon onwards. Then whatever i dont know which reflects through my answers, i'll just learn from mark schemes. Heads absolutely killing. Does yours hurt?!

Yep, i think eco system questions will trip me up. The topic is easy to learn but questions i find a little :confused: So stressed. I keep thinking of monday at half 1 sitting with the paper staring in my face aaaaaahhh :eek:

Im aiming for an A hopefully. You?
Reply 1085
Original post by Bullit
Epistasis is really simple, you have two separate genes at two different loci (different parts on the chromosome) and the presence of a certain allele of one gene stops the expression of the second gene.

It'll be easier to understand with an example; so if it was fur colour in mice and you have an allele for Brown (B) and white (b). So the presence of the B allele will give a brown coat as it is dominant.
Now a completely different gene has two alleles A & a. Now for the Brown fur colour you need to also have the dominant A allele present so;
BBAA = brown
BbAA = brown
BBAa = brown
BbAa = brown

BBaa = white
Bbaa = white
bbaa = white
bbAa = white
bbAA = white

if the dominant A is not present the coat colour is white. This is recessive epistasis because if there are only the reccessive alleles it supresses the epression of the other gene. So, regardless of whether or not there is the dominant B for brown fur, if there is no dominant A the brown will not be expressed and the fur will be white.

A way to remember it so it makes sense is that the dominant A gene codes for an intermediate compound e.g a colourless pigment, and the B allele changes this intermediate into the final brown colour. If the intermediate is not present the B allele cannot have its effect.

Then dominant epistasis is just the reverse, so If here is the presence of a dominant allele at one loci, the second gene wont be expressed, so you need to have BOTH the recessive alleles for it to be expressed.

Really well explained :smile:

Just a little confused with your example above. Do you need A and B together (both dominant) for brown fur?
Original post by Rosi M
Im going to go crazy with past papers from today afternoon onwards. Then whatever i dont know which reflects through my answers, i'll just learn from mark schemes. Heads absolutely killing. Does yours hurt?!

Yep, i think eco system questions will trip me up. The topic is easy to learn but questions i find a little :confused: So stressed. I keep thinking of monday at half 1 sitting with the paper staring in my face aaaaaahhh :eek:

Im aiming for an A hopefully. You?

Yeah it does! I keep taking pro plus in the nights aswell, which probably doesn't help :redface:
I'm okay on ecosystems I think, it's just the long questions like meiosis/PCR/pretty much all of biotechnology and gene technologies, I always get them mixed up :colondollar:
Arghhh I know, I'm never usually this nervous for exams :frown:

Aw good luck, I'm sure you'll get it :smile: I'd like an A but I don't think it's going to happen, so I'm aiming for a B/high B I think. Although I worked out I only need 70 UMS in this exam to get into uni, which takes the pressure off a bit :tongue:
I'm back to revising this today :smile: 5 exams to go!!! Let's get this monster out of the way!!!
Reply 1088
Yeah it does! I keep taking pro plus in the nights aswell, which probably doesn't help :redface:
I'm okay on ecosystems I think, it's just the long questions like meiosis/PCR/pretty much all of biotechnology and gene technologies, I always get them mixed up :colondollar:
Arghhh I know, I'm never usually this nervous for exams :frown:

Aw good luck, I'm sure you'll get it :smile: I'd like an A but I don't think it's going to happen, so I'm aiming for a B/high B I think. Although I worked out I only need 70 UMS in this exam to get into uni, which takes the pressure off a bit :tongue:

Haha i manage to stay awake without proplus so i dont take it. Then i die in the morning 'cos ive stayed up half the night :frown:

Even though biotechnology was the hardest (IMO) to revise for 'cos its content heavy, i prefer questions on that. Specific. I cant even think in eco systems. Dont know what to write!

Thanks :smile: & im sure you'll get your B too :biggrin: How did you do in Jan if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

Im meant to be doing some bits of chemistry, but too traumatized about this!
what does 5' (prime) end and 3' (prime) end mean in PCR? (page 170) :confused:
Reply 1090
Original post by amyyy24
what does 5' (prime) end and 3' (prime) end mean in PCR? (page 170) :confused:

Got this from yahoo q&a

The two distinctive ends of DNA is that it has a 5' end and a 3' end and for both RNA and DNA, there is a phosphate group at the 5' end and a hydroxyl group at the 3' end. And since DNA is synthesized by adding nucleotides to the 3' end, we say that DNA is synthesized in a 5' to 3' direction.

But take note that DNA is double helix, meaning that it is double stranded. While the two strands are anti-parallel, it means that one strand is in a 5' to a 3' while the other is in the opposite direction: hence 3' to 5'.
Reply 1091
2 more days, eh! Still feeling incomplete!
Original post by Rosi M
Haha i manage to stay awake without proplus so i dont take it. Then i die in the morning 'cos ive stayed up half the night :frown:

Even though biotechnology was the hardest (IMO) to revise for 'cos its content heavy, i prefer questions on that. Specific. I cant even think in eco systems. Dont know what to write!

Thanks :smile: & im sure you'll get your B too :biggrin: How did you do in Jan if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

Im meant to be doing some bits of chemistry, but too traumatized about this!

Haha, yeah i wish i didn't need sleep :tongue:

Yeah i get what you mean, the ecosystems stuff is hard because you can go on about predation and competition and pretty much anything but the mark schemes are so specific if you don't say a certain word you don't get the mark :/

Thanks! I did so so badly in january, got a U :colondollar: I thought the paper was horrible, but tbh it was probably down to me revising loads for my other exams and not bothering with biology at all :tongue: I'm resitting it though, and after doing this module it seems so much easier and i understand it all :smile: How about you?

Aw I'm so glad i don't do chemistry! I've heard it's so hard :tongue:
What are you doing in uni next year, if you're going? :smile:
Right, that's an annoyance out of the way. Time for an uninterrupted afternoon of revision :sexface:
Reply 1094
What is a tropism? Proper definition?
Reply 1095
Original post by Rosi M
Really well explained :smile:

Just a little confused with your example above. Do you need A and B together (both dominant) for brown fur?

Yeah. You need to have dominant B for brown fur because that is the gene that codes for the brown. The other dominant gene A lets the second gene be expressed, so regardless if you have B or b if you don't have dominant A you will not get brown fur.

It could be easier to understand if I give another example this time with three different colours;

So same with fur colour, B gives brown, and b gives Black. and on the second gene loci you have A & a.
If you don't have dominant A you will get a white mouse (due to lack of colour pigment). so;

AABB - brown AAbb - black
AABb - brown Aabb - black
AaBB - brown
AaBb - brown

aaBB - white
aaBb - white
aabb - white

Just remember hat the first gene is the one that is coding for the fur colour, the 'A' gene is the one that lets it work
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1096
Original post by M_I
What is a tropism? Proper definition?

Tropism is a directional growth response which is determined by the direction of the external stimulus :smile:
Reply 1097
Original post by Suren_x

Original post by Suren_x
Tropism is a directional growth response which is determined by the direction of the external stimulus :smile:

Thanks. Also do we need to know about Indolacetic acid (IAA)?
Reply 1098
Haha, yeah i wish i didn't need sleep :tongue:

Yeah i get what you mean, the ecosystems stuff is hard because you can go on about predation and competition and pretty much anything but the mark schemes are so specific if you don't say a certain word you don't get the mark :/

Thanks! I did so so badly in january, got a U :colondollar: I thought the paper was horrible, but tbh it was probably down to me revising loads for my other exams and not bothering with biology at all :tongue: I'm resitting it though, and after doing this module it seems so much easier and i understand it all :smile: How about you?

Aw I'm so glad i don't do chemistry! I've heard it's so hard :tongue:
What are you doing in uni next year, if you're going? :smile:

Yeah eco systems is fussy! Probably have a heartattack when i go through the mark schemes soon.

Haha aw ok.. Yeah i know what you mean 'cos im not revising psycho at all right now and going crazy with biology and chemistry! So unless i dont stay awake continuously after chem, im probably getting a U in psychology too!
I got an A in that one and i'll probably get the total opposite this time :frown:

Chem is less content and theory is not that bad but the exams are ............................................... haha. Exam questions are freaky because of the application. Its all application.

Yep im going uni hopefully! Hoping to do Optometry at Manchester. How about you?
Reply 1099
Original post by Bullit
Yeah. You need to have dominant B for brown fur because that is the gene that codes for the brown. The other dominant gene A lets the second gene be expressed, so regardless if you have B or b if you don't have dominant A you will not get brown fur.

Ok got ya. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending