Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Postgrads - 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lm83
Hello there! :smile:

I'm Lorenzo from Italy and I'll be in Nottingham for a PhD course starting next September. I haven't applied for accommodation, I can't decide.

Are there any other PhD students? I'm looking for accommodation advices. :smile:

Hi Lorenzo, I'm going to be a PhD student, at the Law and Sociology faculties (I think...it's got a bit complicated. long story).

Not sure what I'm doing about accommodation; my partner's parents are from notts, so i'll probably stay with them for a bit in the beginning, and then work out how much time i need to be in notts. my partner is staying in london for work, and we've already lived apart for two years, so I'd quite like to be in London at least one day a week in addition to the weekend!!!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
@ Inspired: Thanks for your advices. I'll take Broadgate into serious consideration; I actually would prefer to be close to the University than to the city centre. There should be a lot of buses to the centre, right?
Anyway, I've read about the International Student Welcome week. Is it only for non-EU students?

@ Ange de la nuit: Yep, probably you can save some money living in a private house but it is more complicated for a new, non-English, postgrad! :biggrin:

@ Flying Plum: Hi there! :smile: Any advices about accommodation? Anyway, see ya in September! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Yep, the International Student Welcome Week is only for non-EU students but you could always move in a couple of days before freshers to get settled in etc. The International Student Welcome Welcome Week starts on the 20th and freshers week starts on the 26th and most halls have 24th or 25th as the move in dates.

See you soon! :smile: Just about 4 months to go! :biggrin:

Edit - Oh and yes, the bus service is pretty good so commuting to the city centre shouldn't be a problem at all.
Reply 43
And if you guys are on facebook, you should join this group to talk to other freshers, find people studying your subject/course, living in your hall etc.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_137318983003357&ap=1

:smile:
Reply 44
Hi folks,

I'm Ricardo, from Portugal, and I hope to come to Nottingham to do a PhD in Quantum Gravity - I have the offer but I'm still applying for funding - nevertheless, I'm confident enough that I'll get it to make this post :P.

Regarding accommodation, I can't make any plans yet, obviously, but I'd like to live on one of the university halls, it would save me the hassle of commuting and certainly be a lot safer right? (ok, I have to admit, I found this forum after looking for information on crime statistics and safety in Nottingham, and I was getting pretty scared until I found out campus is nowhere near the worst areas).

I don't even mind if there are partying freshmen, maybe I'll join them, lol :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by |_JR_|
Hi folks,

I'm Ricardo, from Portugal, and I hope to come to Nottingham to do a PhD in Quantum Gravity - I have the offer but I'm still applying for funding - nevertheless, I'm confident enough that I'll get it to make this post :P.

Regarding accommodation, I can't make any plans yet, obviously, but I'd like to live on one of the university halls, it would save me the hassle of commuting and certainly be a lot safer right? (ok, I have to admit, I found this forum after looking for information on crime statistics and safety in Nottingham, and I was getting pretty scared until I found out campus is nowhere near the worst areas).

I don't even mind if there are partying freshmen, maybe I'll join them, lol :smile:

Hey Ricardo! Nice to meet you! :smile:

About accommodation, safer I suppose yes but commuting would be pretty much the same even if you took a room in a rented house anywhere around Lenton or Beeston. We postgrads don't get to apply for any of the halls in University Park, which are obviously closer to most of the departments compared to the other halls. But yes, you should choose halls! Since you don't mind the partying, you're guaranteed to have a blast! P.S. - Broadgate Park is where the party's at.. Just saying.. :wink:

Good luck with the funding! :smile: It can be a bitch. I literally lost my sanity filling out scholarship applications.

x
Reply 46
Original post by |_JR_|
Hi folks,

Hi Ricardo, hope to see you in September! :smile:

Security is a typical concern of prospective students (me too, eh). But, in the end, I believe Nottingham is neither worse nor safer than any other big city. There are areas you should not go, that's all.
Reply 47
Just gotta be a bit careful and be smart basically, no matter where you live or go.
Reply 48
Nice to meet you too .Inspired and Lorenzo :smile:

I was kind of kidding about the partying :P - I'm not actually much of a partying kind but if I have to be in a place with some noise, so be it; I don't want to be isolated either, a PhD seems to be a lonely experience, just you and your supervisor...

And yeah, I guess whether a city is safe or unsafe depends a lot on the person - I have a friend that told me he felt safer in London than in my hometown, and I never had any problems in my hometown besides the occasional running into beggars. I'll try to be careful.
Reply 49
Original post by |_JR_|
Nice to meet you too .Inspired and Lorenzo :smile:

I was kind of kidding about the partying :P - I'm not actually much of a partying kind but if I have to be in a place with some noise, so be it; I don't want to be isolated either, a PhD seems to be a lonely experience, just you and your supervisor...

And yeah, I guess whether a city is safe or unsafe depends a lot on the person - I have a friend that told me he felt safer in London than in my hometown, and I never had any problems in my hometown besides the occasional running into beggars. I'll try to be careful.

Haha well, undergrads and postgrads will have different blocks anyway, so you won't really have to deal with the noise per se. And you won't be isolated so long as you take a bit of initiative and go for a few social events. Doesn't always have to be partying but that's fun too, obviously. :wink:
Reply 50
Hi there,

I'm new to TSR, but grateful to have found this thread. I'm starting at Nottingham in September doing a 1+3 in Psychology. The first year will be spend doing the MRes in Psychological Research Methods and then I expect to be flitting between Psychology and Economics for my PhD.

I live in Sheffield so currently have no plans to move to Nottingham, I'll just commute. I might have to reconsider in the future though.

M
Reply 51
Hey inspired, thank u so much for ur response.
:-)
Reply 52
For those who're going to choose Raleigh Park to stay, I personally do not recommend it. I've had bad experience with staying here. Things keep broken in the kitchen, shower's broken, no water to use. The landlord takes forever to repair, unless you nag and remind them every day.
Reply 53
I've just had an unconditional offer for a msc on next september.
After having a look at the different options, I have few questions for you guys.
If I choose Raleigh Park or St Peters court (for both under and postgraduate), will I be sharing apartment with undergraduate or postgraduate are a little bit separate (different halls etc …) ? Otherwise, I have the feeling that Melton Hall is more for Phd students and not that much for master students : correct ?
As I want to socialize with people from my age (24) but I also want a quiet room to study, which one is the best option ? Melton or Raleigh/St peter's court.
Reply 54
Original post by mhoys
I've just had an unconditional offer for a msc on next september.
After having a look at the different options, I have few questions for you guys.
If I choose Raleigh Park or St Peters court (for both under and postgraduate), will I be sharing apartment with undergraduate or postgraduate are a little bit separate (different halls etc …) ? Otherwise, I have the feeling that Melton Hall is more for Phd students and not that much for master students : correct ?
As I want to socialize with people from my age (24) but I also want a quiet room to study, which one is the best option ? Melton or Raleigh/St peter's court.

I think every hall that has undergrads and postgrads has separate blocks for the two. Although I think Broadgate has some mixed blocks too. I heard from somebody that if you want to live in a postgrad block only, you have to request for it. Not a 100% sure about this though and not sure if this applies only to Broadgate.

Anyway, one thing is for sure - you'll get a postgrad only block if you want one, at all the halls.

Melton is only for postgraduates so that includes both masters students and PhDs and I believe there's a healthy mix of the two. I know quite a few masters students who have lived/are going to be living there.

Hope this helps!
Reply 55
Hello Everyone,
I hope to be at Nottingham in the second week of September. I really wanted to apply for the accomadation at Melton but it is already full. Had no option but to apply at Raleigh Park. Any idea how it is?

I want to know who else has applied for Msc. Management. Any suggestion for reading material. Ex-students please comment. Thanks.
Reply 56
Original post by AHZ
Hello Everyone,
I hope to be at Nottingham in the second week of September. I really wanted to apply for the accomadation at Melton but it is already full. Had no option but to apply at Raleigh Park. Any idea how it is?

I want to know who else has applied for Msc. Management. Any suggestion for reading material. Ex-students please comment. Thanks.

Hi! I know two people who are going for M.Sc Management this September. One is on TSR but I'm not sure if she's active and the other I don't think is on TSR.

If you're on facebook, join this group - https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_137318983003357&notif_t=group_activity and you can find them and have a chat.

Good luck!
i'm so jealous of y'all. leaving Nottingham after 3 great years this summer. sob. :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by colin4president
i'm so jealous of y'all. leaving Nottingham after 3 great years this summer. sob. :frown:

Maybe you should come back and do a pg degree? :smile:
Original post by .Inspired
Maybe you should come back and do a pg degree? :smile:

doing postgrad in london...

Quick Reply