The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I quite want to see Paranormal activity 2, I mean I can at anytime but haven't got around to it just yet

by the way Phalanges, what film are you most looking forward to this year?
I love Blu-ray. Watching classic science fiction films like Blade Runner and The Fifth Element in Blu-ray is beautiful.

Original post by Phalanges
It does seem odd to me, but then it's had little coverage over here so far so maybe they didn't have the financial backing to roll out their promotional stuff worldwide so had to either do it in stages or compromise on the scale of it?

Pretty much zero buzz over here. Nobody seems to be aware of it unless they have an active interest in upcoming film projects. A trailer was shown for the film with X-Men: First Class but beyond that, nothing. Well Cloverfield and Star Trek had good marketing (both distributed by Paramount?), and this has 'Spielberg' attached to it too. It's also a family film. I would have thought there would have been a lot of marketing, and that this would be the ideal time for release in the UK. This won't help things on the piracy front either.

Going to be hard to avoid spoilers though especially on TSR where people have a tendency to ruin films by putting spoilers in thread titles. :dry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aja89
I'm starting to get some serious Harry Potter fever. It always happens. I get ridiculously excited about each new release, thinking in my head how flipping amazing the book was, and then I go and see it...

Don't even get me started on Half-Blood Prince. :colonhash:

I've never had Harry Potter fever for a film release. I liked the first three films, but beyond that, I lost interest in the film franchise. I still watched the films (four, five and six), but it was months after release. I'm relatively hyped for Part 2 because it's looking good and it's the last film.
Reply 2423
This probably won't interest many people but as a camera nerd I found it really interesting.

Walt Disney's multiplane camera
Original post by Roobsa
This probably won't interest many people but as a camera nerd I found it really interesting.

Walt Disney's multiplane camera

I thought that was really interesting - love watching something come together and the sense of how many hours is must take to film something like Bambi is staggering.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Going to be hard to avoid spoilers though especially on TSR where people have a tendency to ruin films by putting spoilers in thread titles. :dry:

It's easy for you. You're not the one who has to go and read the thread when someone reports it. :colonhash:

Original post by lukejoshjedi
by the way Phalanges, what film are you most looking forward to this year?

Probably Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or Tintin.
Reply 2425
I can't put into words how much I enjoyed Paul.
Paul was good. So many nods to Star Wars :coma:
Reply 2427
When you watch foreign language films, what do you prefer, subtitles or dubbing?
Today I watched Spirited Away in Japanese with English subtitles for the first time, before I had watched it dubbed. I preferred the subtitled version because I think they cut out some interesting bits of dialogue, like Zeniba saying "Dragons are kind. Dragons are kind and stupid." Also, in the dubbed version they say spirits but in the subtitles it says gods.

I can understand watching the dubbed if you're watching with small kids.
Original post by Pi!
When you watch foreign language films, what do you prefer, subtitles or dubbing?
Today I watched Spirited Away in Japanese with English subtitles for the first time, before I had watched it dubbed. I preferred the subtitled version because I think they cut out some interesting bits of dialogue, like Zeniba saying "Dragons are kind. Dragons are kind and stupid." Also, in the dubbed version they say spirits but in the subtitles it says gods.

Watching with subtitles is kinda interesting, especially if you start picking up the language after a few movies !
Anyone with a 3DS can now watch the Green Lantern trailer in 3D :yy:
Ape Gone Insane
because i don't know if you're still watching the thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=32088173&postcount=5934 :ninja:

Probably Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or Tintin.

You recon it'll be better than the original Swedish version? :holmes:

Original post by Pi!

I watch with subtitles :ahee: but if it is cartoon, animation or anime it depends since you can't really read the lips. It depends on the voices. Sometimes I like them better in the original language but sometimes the dubbed voices are better :dontknow: i.e. I liked the Swedish dubbed versions more than the original voices of Ice Age and The Road to Eldorado :yep: but I don't think they've done those kind of changes in the language like Spirited Away :erm: but yes the phrases are different and not the same.
Reply 2432
Original post by Christien
Paul was good. So many nods to Star Wars :coma:

Very overrated, imo.

Anyone else seen Redacted? :holmes:

Although the trailer makes it seem much more dramatic and 'action-focused' than it is in reality; given that it's a mockumentary from both sides of the conflict in Iraq.
Reply 2433
Hey guys long time :wavey:

I should be revising but I'll make time for a movie,
Memento or The Butterfly Effect ? :holmes:
Reply 2434
Original post by Guvnor
Hey guys long time :wavey:

I should be revising but I'll make time for a movie,
Memento or The Butterfly Effect ? :holmes:

I preferred Memento. :yes:
Original post by Pi!

In general, I much prefer subtitled films, because it's painfully obvious that it's wrong. It detracts from the emotional impact of the dialogue. I remember seeing Star Wars dubbed into German, ick.

However, with animated films like those of Studio Ghibli, where it isn't so obvious, and the dubbing is actually very well done, I don't mind so much.
Point Break is probably the best pure action film I've seen since Shoot 'Em Up. The opening five minutes is worth the price of admission on it's own.

Original post by MizzCupcakes
You recon it'll be better than the original Swedish version? :holmes:

I've not actually seen the original films, but I have absolute faith in David Fincher (and Daniel Craig for that matter).
Reply 2437
I've yet to see a dubbed film that was actually done convincingly, so I'm much more of a proponent of subtitles.

Likewise, I'm no linguist. I can't understand Spanish with a Mexican accent, as in Sin Nombre. Nor can I understand Chinese, as in House of Flying Daggers. Nor, for that matter, can I understand Portuguese with a Brazilian accent, as in City of God (some examples of recent subtitled films that I've seen). As such, subtitling creates a much more authentic experience, for me.

In fact, the only time I think dubbing should be used is for people that have trouble reading subtitles quick enough to keep up with the pace of the film or when/if dubbing reaches such a stage that it's effectively seamless and very accurate.
Original post by zjs
I've yet to see a dubbed film that was actually done convincingly, so I'm much more of a proponent of subtitles.

Likewise, I'm no linguist. I can't understand Spanish with a Mexican accent, as in Sin Nombre. Nor can I understand Chinese, as in House of Flying Daggers. Nor, for that matter, can I understand Portuguese with a Brazilian accent, as in City of God (some examples of recent subtitled films that I've seen). As such, subtitling creates a much more authentic experience, for me.

In fact, the only time I think dubbing should be used is for people that have trouble reading subtitles quick enough to keep up with the pace of the film or when/if dubbing reaches such a stage that it's effectively seamless and very accurate.

For me, it's hard to see that there could ever be a point where the bloke in a darkened room can put up as good a performance as the actor on set. Unless the actor is terrible anyway. In which case, why am I watching this film? Give me my damned money back!
Reply 2439
Original post by Jace Falco
For me, it's hard to see that there could ever be a point where the bloke in a darkened room can put up as good a performance as the actor on set. Unless the actor is terrible anyway. In which case, why am I watching this film? Give me my damned money back!

Well, it's the same as voice actors in animated films, really. Some are extremely good at portraying emotion and mould themselves into the character. Obviously, this is more difficult when you're doing a voice over for a real person, rather than an animation of a character that can be adapted and is, most likely, based on you to some extent in the first place.

However, I see no reason to believe then anyone who really familiarised themselves with the script and the version in its original language couldn't provide a voice-over of that quality, it's just that there isn't really the market for it, in that there's little reward for putting that much time and effort into it.

Quick Reply

Latest