The Student Room Group

Most versatile degree?

What do you think is the most versatile degree, the degree that opens the most doors careers wise.

I was think maybe engineering because you can apply to both jobs that are degree independent like the civil service and also apply for jobs requring technical know how.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would also say engineering. The maths content (according to a lecturer from Liverpool in regards to electrical engineering) is the second most mathematical intense course, second to a Maths degree, and includes vasts amounts of problem solving which will put you in a good position for many career paths.
Reply 2
Neuroscience UCL - the amount of scientific journals you have to read through for first year - not to mention we have to do second year modules in our first year - puts us ahead of the game - and DONT say medicine - as the medics in third year cover what we do in first year - so i beg to differ
Reply 3
Probably maths, physics and engineering.
Though all three lack the literary analysis required by degrees like history, law or english lit.
Original post by logic123
Neuroscience UCL - the amount of scientific journals you have to read through for first year - not to mention we have to do second year modules in our first year - puts us ahead of the game - and DONT say medicine - as the medics in third year cover what we do in first year - so i beg to differ

The question was 'Whats the most versatile degree?' not 'What degree are you doing?'
Reply 5
Surely a join degree like PPE would be the most versatile??
Having said that I'd have to say history is the best. Source: me :colondollar:
Reply 6
and i started my sentence with ''Neuroscience at UCL'' - or can you not read?
Reply 7
Business? Im Biased though :P
I'm not at university, but maybe something like Economics?

As it involves numbers and graphs which covers (kind of) maths but then has slightly more literary analysis than pure science degrees. So it's kind of versatile in the sense that it's a cross between analysis + interpretations (literary analysis) and like maths/science degrees.
I was told that Maths is one of the most versatile degree which is one of many reasons why I chose to study it. I do however agree with what Manitude said "all three lack the literary analysis required by degrees like history, law or english lit", even though there is a fair amount of writing which mathemticians have to do at degree level as was said by my lecturer, "a mathematical argument is a piece of coherent text , not just a string of formulas".
I do very much agree that engineering and physics are also very versatile degrees and in fact most degrees can open so many doors for you. There are in fact very few degrees which aren't versatile.
In my opinion the top three most versatile degrees are: Engineering, Maths and Physics
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I'm not at university, but maybe something like Economics?

As it involves numbers and graphs which covers (kind of) maths but then has slightly more literary analysis than pure science degrees. So it's kind of versatile in the sense that it's a cross between analysis + interpretations (literary analysis) and like maths/science degrees.

You can go into banking/finance with a science degree but you can't go into science from an economics degree.
Straight Economics, Maths, Sciences
Original post by kbountra
You can go into banking/finance with a science degree but you can't go into science from an economics degree.

Ahh okay sorry, I guess my lack of experience really did show! :redface:
Engineering?
Original post by Maker
What do you think is the most versatile degree, the degree that opens the most doors careers wise.

I was think maybe engineering because you can apply to both jobs that are degree independent like the civil service and also apply for jobs requring technical know how.

I *would* say Engineering, but Physics could allow you to everything an Engineering graduate could do (yes, people with Physics degrees can be engineers), but I feel it would be easier for a Physics grad to do postgraduate mathematics than an engineering grad.
Reply 15
Original post by im so academic
(yes, people with Physics degrees can be engineers).

However their physics degree will not be accredited by the IET to allow the graduate to later become a Chartered Engineer.

http://www.theiet.org/careers/accreditation/academic/synopsis-accred-list.cfm

Original post by Leo*
However their physics degree will not be accredited by the IET to allow the graduate to later become a Chartered Engineer.

http://www.theiet.org/careers/accreditation/academic/synopsis-accred-list.cfm

However, it will serve as great preparation to do the MEng as a second degree, so it's not like you would have wasted those 3-4 years doing Physics.

But an MEng Engineering graduate wanting to do a PhD in an area in Pure Mathematics (not applied)?
Reply 17
Original post by im so academic
However, it will serve as great preparation to do the MEng as a second degree, so it's not like you would have wasted those 3-4 years doing Physics.

But an MEng Engineering graduate wanting to do a PhD in an area in Pure Mathematics (not applied)?

I agree that a Physics graduate may be more suited for a PhD in Pure Mathematics, although, due to the Physics degree not being accredited by the IET, doing an accredited Masters in Engineering (One year masters such as the MSc as opposed to the four year MEng) still may not hit the grade for chartership, although I may be wrong.

However I'm sure exceptions do exist
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Ahh okay sorry, I guess my lack of experience really did show! :redface:

Nah that's ok....Econ is still a great degree to have and it is v. competitive at the top universities. From your username you appear to have quite a clear idea of what you want to do (unless I'm taking it too literally) :smile:

EDIT: why has someone negged you?:confused:
Joint degree in Maths and History

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending