The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JChoudhry
I know lol. I don't need any more GP work lol. I'm fine with 2 lol

What? :puppyeyes:

isn't gp work experience admin stuff? or did you get to do more?

:drool:
Original post by a will way

It doesn't really matter if it is admin stuff just as long as you can make it seem like you have gain something from it. Also whilst you are working at a G.P surgery you could try and ask a doctor if he will let you shadow him for a day or a couple of days.

Admin stuff. lol I got to observe the GP with a patient twice though.
Original post by Limitless
It doesn't really matter if it is admin stuff just as long as you can make it seem like you have gain something from it. Also whilst you are working at a G.P surgery you could try and ask a doctor if he will let you shadow him for a day or a couple of days.

good points again. you're right, you can gain anything from being in a hospitcal environment, and it's easy to shadow too! i'l go for this
Admin stuff. lol I got to observe the GP with a patient twice though.

if i have to do admin stuff, but can observe even once, i'd say it's worth it
Salamunaylkum to muslims on here/ hello to everyone
i'd like to ask something, if you've done exams or have a few left,
how much work experience have you got/ are planning to get? i've got none as it's difficult and i keep getting rejected.
also, does anyone know how they are revising on the UKCAT? and how they find it?
any tips, like on the math section?

=/ i'm predicted terrible a/s results, but have booked the UKCAT for the 3rd of september

I got four exams in four days next week, two on monady, so I dunno why the hell I'm on here, its not good :l I've got a week in a hospital (and got to see gp and cottage hospital to during it) and volunteering for nearly a year now in British heart and can't remember anything else :tongue: I found it really difficult to get w/e I had to go to Wales for mine. In my local hospital a consultant couldn't even get w/e for his own son :s-smilie:

I'm gonna start volunteering at another hospital, just making teas for people and such and apprently thats good enough (said the consultant) :smile:

With the ukcat you just need to do a whole load of questions. Theres loads of different books you can get, and the practice papers on their website. Don't leave it all til the last minute! Thats about the worth thing you could do :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
I got four exams in four days next week, two on monady, so I dunno why the hell I'm on here, its not good :l I've got a week in a hospital (and got to see gp and cottage hospital to during it) and volunteering for nearly a year now in British heart and can't remember anything else :tongue: I found it really difficult to get w/e I had to go to Wales for mine. In my local hospital a consultant couldn't even get w/e for his own son :s-smilie:

I'm gonna start volunteering at another hospital, just making teas for people and such and apprently thats good enough (said the consultant) :smile:

With the ukcat you just need to do a whole load of questions. Theres loads of different books you can get, and the practice papers on their website. Don't leave it all til the last minute! Thats about the worth thing you could do :tongue:

:smile: i applied for voluntary and was rejected!

great post, i'll take it all on board
Original post by sablarrr
This is my worry, but I don't think I've done too badly (Bet that comment will bite me in the ass on results day :lol:). Plus, I want a good 4 weeks to practise.

I'm super worried about Biology cause I need to get a good A to get an A overall, but I only need a low E to get a B so although I know I should at least get a B i'm seriously worried, particularly as I'm getting D's and C's on practice papers.... and the exam is on monday :cry2: (its slightly worse cause its A-levels rather than AS)

Its all so FINAL... stupid A-levels :dry:

I'm almost tempted to go for it in Septmeber so that I have even longer... stupid money making company, taking advantage of us wanna-be-do-gooders lol :tongue:
:smile: i applied for voluntary and was rejected!

great post, i'll take it all on board

Thats unfortunate :/ Where I am they're always looking for volunteers apparently. Hopefully you'll find something somewhere though :smile:
Thats unfortunate :/ Where I am they're always looking for volunteers apparently. Hopefully you'll find something somewhere though :smile:

Hopefully!:smile:

i'm applying to some carehomes/going to write to a few GP'S tomorrow:smile:

Have applied for work experience , but need to await if i'll be given an interview for it.
I'm super worried about Biology cause I need to get a good A to get an A overall, but I only need a low E to get a B so although I know I should at least get a B i'm seriously worried, particularly as I'm getting D's and C's on practice papers.... and the exam is on monday :cry2: (its slightly worse cause its A-levels rather than AS)

I'm almost tempted to go for it in Septmeber so that I have even longer... stupid money making company, taking advantage of us wanna-be-do-gooders lol :tongue:

you're in year 13?

:smile: any more words of wisdom for a year 12/that you may have told your younger self in terms of applying and interviews?
you're in year 13?

:smile: any more words of wisdom for a year 12/that you may have told your younger self in terms of applying and interviews?

Yup, finish college on Thursday, dead scary thought - I'm actually gonna need to go out and get a job for the next year... thats too adult... I'm 10 at heart :tongue: ...maybe they saw this in my interview and so didn't give me a place lol :tongue:

Erm exam wise - do the work, and if you miss stuff catch up ASAP. I missed loads of bio for my interview and its stuff i'm finding hard to answer now, you really want to get the A's first time round although I got an interview with AAABC (B in chem) Practice for ukcat, I only did two weeks worth on and off and got 632.5, possibly coulda done better if I'd done more work.

If you get an interview, its not as scary as you think, people I got were really nice and were there to get the best out of you (St. Andrews - no idea about everywhere else)

Don't be disheartened if you get four rejections. Its not great, particularly if you get one one day, then one the next and its game over. I just think of it as theres a reason behind everything, i wasnt meant to get in this year, so I'll just try again next year. (I say this, but i constantly have dark days where I hate medicine but get ove rit again lol)

I probably have other stuff that any rejectee will probably tell you, but I've realised im procrastinating yet again so better get back to the bio :tongue:
Yup, finish college on Thursday, dead scary thought - I'm actually gonna need to go out and get a job for the next year... thats too adult... I'm 10 at heart :tongue: ...maybe they saw this in my interview and so didn't give me a place lol :tongue:

Erm exam wise - do the work, and if you miss stuff catch up ASAP. I missed loads of bio for my interview and its stuff i'm finding hard to answer now, you really want to get the A's first time round although I got an interview with AAABC (B in chem) Practice for ukcat, I only did two weeks worth on and off and got 632.5, possibly coulda done better if I'd done more work.

If you get an interview, its not as scary as you think, people I got were really nice and were there to get the best out of you (St. Andrews - no idea about everywhere else)

Don't be disheartened if you get four rejections. Its not great, particularly if you get one one day, then one the next and its game over. I just think of it as theres a reason behind everything, i wasnt meant to get in this year, so I'll just try again next year. (I say this, but i constantly have dark days where I hate medicine but get ove rit again lol)

I probably have other stuff that any rejectee will probably tell you, but I've realised im procrastinating yet again so better get back to the bio :tongue:

thank you so much for the advice.

best of luck with this year man, there's a fair chane i'll get 4 as well

60% of applicants get four rejections, medicine is tough:smile:

Do you know what the NHS reforms are - in the sense that what primary care trusts are, and how this effects the private health companies? It makes no sense!(made a thread)

:smile: i've asked you too much - thank you!
Reply 3633

Which exam board are you with? That's a mahussive gap - all that work for an A, yet you could sleep in the exam and answer like 3 q's and get a B!? Haha. Good luck anyway :h:

I'm guessing you're a reapplicant then? :tongue:

I'll thank you now :smile: :p:
I'll do it. :smile:

maybe :ninja:

Haha, you're a genius anyway IIRC (maths prodigy, right?). You'll do fine :biggrin:
Which exam board are you with? That's a mahussive gap - all that work for an A, yet you could sleep in the exam and answer like 3 q's and get a B!? Haha. Good luck anyway :h:

Haha, you're a genius anyway IIRC (maths prodigy, right?). You'll do fine :biggrin:

Genius? :laugh: I wish :colondollar: Maths prodigy: not really a prodigy, but kinda good at it :p:

what is an IIRC - is that a maths prodigy award?
Genius? :laugh: I wish :colondollar: Maths prodigy: not really a prodigy, but kinda good at it :p:

can you tell us how you revise for it, how you train your mental arithmetic, do puzzles and maths problems?

tell us your secrets!
can you tell us how you revise for it, how you train your mental arithmetic, do puzzles and maths problems?

tell us your secrets!

Have I told you that you are extremely annoying?

I do this thing called bunking. I do it for the first two terms of school and cram in the last term. :laugh: Do it if you think it'll work for you. :wink:
Reply 3638
Original post by Limitless
My exams are done.
I've got 2 weeks work experience at a pharmacy already, got 4 weeks of work experience planned in the summer ( each week a different department), I'm currently trying to sort out some work experience at a G.P. Just write loads of letters and ring people up if you get no reply, you have to chase people up but not so much that they get annoyed.
I'm revising for UKCAT via book called passing the UKCAT and BMAT. I'm just doing UKCAT though not the BMAT. You need to know your GCSE maths inside out for the maths section well at least that is what I've heard from friends and past students.
Predicted AS results are meaningless I was predicted C+D's for my GCSE's after my mock came out with 2A*s 5As and 3Bs not amazing results but not bad either.
If you change your mind you can always cancel the UKCAT.

Hi, 2 questions: What sort of thing do you do for work experience the pharmacyand GP in general and how did you get such good work experience (the each week in a different department thing)
Have I told you that you are extremely annoying?

I do this thing called bunking. I do it for the first two terms of school and cram in the last term. :laugh: Do it if you think it'll work for you. :wink:

:smile: sure you do

any genius who says they don't work are 1% of cases telling the truth

maybe you are, but i will assume you work very hard to get to where you want to.

Latest

Trending

Trending