The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jin3011
I'd say book the ukcat incase things do go as planned.
But well done on getting that far this time around.
Damn Liverpool though, my GCSE's just weren't good enough for them:mad:
I really need to work on my interview technique. I had an uni interview for a medicine foundation year thing and they asked me why med, I just ended up looking at the wall behind them sayin 'errrm' about 4 times. My nerves always get the better of me:frown:

I remember you from the Liverpool med forum:cool:

Yeah, I think so too, though I'll book it after my exams :smile:
Thank you :biggrin: I am actually really looking forward to a gap year, hopefully if I get the grades :smile: I don't mind taking a gap year, this time round you can apply without the pressure of exams and you've already written your first personal statement and have much more experience :P
Ahh okay, yeah Liverpool only really bases their interviews on GCSEs and personal statement. Although, for my post-interview rejection feedback all they said was that my personal statement wasn't as competitive as other candidates, I mean why give an interview then based on your personal statement? :mad: I wanted feedback really how far I was away from an offer, like really far away or quite close?

And they have this reserve list this year, because they changed from AAB to AAA, so if anyone who's already got an offer don't get the grades they might contact you, although I personally think the whole thing is quite unreliable considering they've given very little information about it.

Ahh wells, don't worry, at least now you know not to apply to unis that use GCSE to select candidates for interviews :smile: I think you should give a shot at Newcastle, if you get a high UKCAT score, they don't care much about GCSEs and only give interviews to those who meet their cut off score. :wink: What are your GCSEs like? Mine aren't all that compared to other candidates - I've got 1A* 9A's 1B
but thankfully for me Liverpool award the same points for A* and A grades at GCSE.

Ahh bless! Trust me, I know what anxiety is like, I don't get nervous in interviews at all really, but recently I've been getting quite nervous in my exams, I prepare so much as well but nerves get the best of me!

Tbh, you got asked the golden question! You don't get asked that now at many interviews, I didn't get asked 'why med?' at all...I wish I did! :P
But yeah, you just need practice and have faith in yourself :smile:

Oh God, sorry for my essay >.<
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Yeah, I think so too, though I'll book it after my exams :smile:
Thank you :biggrin: I am actually really looking forward to a gap year, hopefully if I get the grades :smile: I don't mind taking a gap year, this time round you can apply without the pressure of exams and you've already written your first personal statement and have much more experience :P
Ahh okay, yeah Liverpool only really bases their interviews on GCSEs and personal statement. Although, for my post-interview rejection feedback all they said was that my personal statement wasn't as competitive as other candidates, I mean why give an interview then based on your personal statement? :mad: I wanted feedback really how far I was away from an offer, like really far away or quite close?

And they have this reserve list this year, because they changed from AAB to AAA, so if anyone who's already got an offer don't get the grades they might contact you, although I personally think the whole thing is quite unreliable considering they've given very little information about it.

Ahh wells, don't worry, at least now you know not to apply to unis that use GCSE to select candidates for interviews :smile: I think you should give a shot at Newcastle, if you get a high UKCAT score, they don't care much about GCSEs and only give interviews to those who meet their cut off score. :wink: What are your GCSEs like? Mine aren't all that compared to other candidates - I've got 1A* 9A's 1B
but thankfully for me Liverpool award the same points for A* and A grades at GCSE.

Ahh bless! Trust me, I know what anxiety is like, I don't get nervous in interviews at all really, but recently I've been getting quite nervous in my exams, I prepare so much as well but nerves get the best of me!

Tbh, you got asked the golden question! You don't get asked that now at many interviews, I didn't get asked 'why med?' at all...I wish I did! :P
But yeah, you just need practice and have faith in yourself :smile:

Oh God, sorry for my essay >.<

That's really informative, thanks:biggrin:
Ah Liverpool is a no no for me this yr:biggrin:. I was just wandering if they'd may have considered my app if I had achieved 3A's< at A-level. My GCSE's were 4A*'s 4A 3B. I'm just going to try and ace the UKCAT this yr so that I can have a wider range of uni's to apply to.
You sound like a great person though, so I guess its their loss in the end:biggrin:
What uni's you considering on applying this yr if everything else goes as planned?
Original post by Jin3011
That's really informative, thanks:biggrin:
Ah Liverpool is a no no for me this yr:biggrin:. I was just wandering if they'd may have considered my app if I had achieved 3A's< at A-level. My GCSE's were 4A*'s 4A 3B. I'm just going to try and ace the UKCAT this yr so that I can have a wider range of uni's to apply to.
You sound like a great person though, so I guess its their loss in the end:biggrin:
What uni's you considering on applying this yr if everything else goes as planned?

Haha, np :smile: Ahh okay, yeah that's true...hey, with your GCSEs that gives you 16/18 of 18 points available, I think you should have been give an interview because it's not far off from the full 18 points :wink: Thanks :biggrin: *fingers crossed get in second time though* Umm, I do want to apply to Newcastle/Leicester/no BMAT unis this time! Last time I applied to Imperial, but I'm thinking this time not to apply in any London unis because I live in London, like 20/30mins away from C.London/so about 20/30mins away from Imperial and that would mean I might as well stay at home because accommodation in London is v.expensive! Also also, I'm kind of getting bored of London, like I can't imagine [if I hypothetically got into a London uni] spending 5 more years of my life around on the London underground, been there, seen it all :tongue: So yeah, I'm thinking maybe apply to Liverpool again..wbu?
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Haha, np :smile: Ahh okay, yeah that's true...hey, with your GCSEs that gives you 16/18 of 18 points available, I think you should have been give an interview because it's not far off from the full 18 points :wink: Thanks :biggrin: *fingers crossed get in second time though* Umm, I do want to apply to Newcastle/Leicester/no BMAT unis this time! Last time I applied to Imperial, but I'm thinking this time not to apply in any London unis because I live in London, like 20/30mins away from C.London/so about 20/30mins away from Imperial and that would mean I might as well stay at home because accommodation in London is v.expensive! Also also, I'm kind of getting bored of London, like I can't imagine [if I hypothetically got into a London uni] spending 5 more years of my life around on the London underground, been there, seen it all :tongue: So yeah, I'm thinking maybe apply to Liverpool again..wbu?

I could never see myself taking the BMAT, seems too difficult:colondollar: I'm thinking of Leicester, newcastle, sheffield not sure about the 4th just yet.
Original post by twelve
I meant where you live now, I know you're technically from Nigeria isn't it? :ninja:

Yeahh, its probably a lot cheaper up here than down in London - would love to go for a night out there, but its just tooo expensive. Maybe when I get this job and have LOTSS of moniessss :biggrin:

Ahh brilliant - cause its a bank post, I'll be working in lots of different departments, so I think I'll just play up the old hospital voluntary work. Aside from cleaning up poo and stuff, I think I'll be doing pretty much the same thing :smile: Tahnkyouuu :biggrin:

Haha yes i am, probably read when i was bussin out some native talk to a very surprised and unsuspecting demi :rolleyes:
No worries :smile:
The bit about only 25 people actually turning up actually made me LOL
Tbh, i think the only reason i got mine was because the people that applied were nowhere near serious, i was probably the only one who made out like i wanted the job and mede an effort to find out what cancer/chemo was..
That's why it's good to do it early before all the med gappers come flooding through the doors with their over eagerness..
Now, hopefully, you're set for after exams
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Aha my thoughts exactly
And i'm not very lightweight when it comes to alcohol so it takes quite alot to get me to be completely off my face.. :frown:
Guess i'll just have to drink more!
Just hope i don't end up with kidney failure during my gap year in an attempt to drown my A level/2011 ucas sorrows.. :rolleyes:

I'll be in Birmingham too! but not till the week after
And i'm going to edinburgh with some friends (i have no idea why, their idea)
but i'm up for anything that keeps me from staring at 4 walls till i start my hca job

Cause it's the most rockin' city ever :wink: Braw for a night out, look out for me :biggrin:

...oh no wait I'm skint.
Original post by baztech
Cause it's the most rockin' city ever :wink: Braw for a night out, look out for me :biggrin:

...oh no wait I'm skint.

LOOL i had to google "braw"

But it won't be for another month so plenty of time to save some pennies :smile:
I party hard though, just a warning.. :tongue:
I've just learned a new Scottish slang :proud:
guys n girls, can any o'y'all tell me if liverpool's, HYMS, or any other unis entry requirements are > a B in a 4th A level subject?
Original post by Limesasquatch
guys n girls, can any o'y'all tell me if liverpool's, HYMS, or any other unis entry requirements are > a B in a 4th A level subject?

Seriously doubt it, (liverpool definately no)
Could be mistaken but the most i've seen is AAAC for four a levels and AAAb for three a levels and an AS (except cambridge of course, who want an A*)
Since the offer is only based on the 3, they're not gonna demand an A in the fourth
LOOL i had to google &quot;braw&quot;

But it won't be for another month so plenty of time to save some pennies :smile:
I party hard though, just a warning.. :tongue:

Original post by futuredoc77
I've just learned a new Scottish slang :proud:

Ya bunch of jessies. :wink:

I bloody hate bloody Edinburgh. I got lost there a few times, and it's pure murder to drive in. One night I swore that if Edinburgh were to be nuked off the face of the planet it would be no real loss.

Yes, I do happen to be Glaswegian. That's beside the point.
Original post by Harbour Seal
Ya bunch of jessies. :wink:

I bloody hate bloody Edinburgh. I got lost there a few times, and it's pure murder to drive in. One night I swore that if Edinburgh were to be nuked off the face of the planet it would be no real loss.

Yes, I do happen to be Glaswegian. That's beside the point.

I have nothing against Scotland, but I'm sure you're right that it won't be a real loss :teehee: THERE'S BARELY ANYTHING UP THERE!!

But Edinburgh is supposedly :drool: :sogood:

I'll see it for myself someday :daydreaming: Later in the summer hopefully :ninjagirl:
I have nothing against Scotland, but I'm sure you're right that it won't be a real loss :teehee: THERE'S BARELY ANYTHING UP THERE!!

But Edinburgh is supposedly :drool: :sogood:

I'll see it for myself someday :daydreaming: Later in the summer hopefully :ninjagirl:

Jump on the train to Glasgow and come and say hi :wink:

Honestly, I'm not a paedo or anything.

AND EXCUSE ME THERE IS PLENTY UP HERE.
Original post by Harbour Seal
Jump on the train to Glasgow and come and say hi :wink:

Honestly, I'm not a paedo or anything.

AND EXCUSE ME THERE IS PLENTY UP HERE.

:ahee: :gah: :teeth:

Oh I know :sexface: I'm not one either :ninja: (Geddit, cause you look so young :wink2: -- :getmecoat:)

Plenty of what, precisely? :hubba:
:ahee: :gah: :teeth:

Oh I know :sexface: I'm not one either :ninja: (Geddit, cause you look so young :wink2: -- :getmecoat:)

Plenty of what, precisely? :hubba:

Yeah. You can come and see me also. :colondollar:

And, meet the refugee friends in glasgow, that you met in manchester.
Reply 2415
sorry but i happen to hate scotland as a country, not that i'm bitter or anything :colonhash:

Like i said one the 2011 thread which is temporarily dead, any of you guys been to a strip club?
Original post by firestar101
Yeah. You can come and see me also. :colondollar:

And, meet the refugee friends in glasgow, that you met in manchester.

How do you remember them? :lol:

And they're not refugees, the guy is a proper registered GP and all... wait, they're still refugees though. Never mind :getmecoat:

Original post by dmz
sorry but i happen to hate scotland as a country, not that i'm bitter or anything :colonhash:

Like i said one the 2011 thread which is temporarily dead, any of you guys been to a strip club?

Yes, dmz a medicine applicants' thread is exactly where you should be asking that question :colone:
Original post by dmz

Remind me to pimp slap you with my back hand. :colone:

Just kidding, demi.
How do you remember them? :lol:

And they're not refugees, the guy is a proper registered GP and all... wait, they're still refugees though. Never mind :getmecoat:

Yes, dmz a medicine applicants' thread is exactly where you should be asking that question :colone:

I remember you talking about them. :smile:
Reply 2419
Original post by dmz

Haha, one day I will go to strip club. I reckon it would be hilarioussss.

Although I do have a serious urge to learn to pole dance as a gap yah project... :colondollar:

Haha yes i am, probably read when i was bussin out some native talk to a very surprised and unsuspecting demi :rolleyes:
No worries :smile:
The bit about only 25 people actually turning up actually made me LOL
Tbh, i think the only reason i got mine was because the people that applied were nowhere near serious, i was probably the only one who made out like i wanted the job and mede an effort to find out what cancer/chemo was..
That's why it's good to do it early before all the med gappers come flooding through the doors with their over eagerness..
Now, hopefully, you're set for after exams

Yep, hopefully! And the interview should be the week my exams finish, so that would be brilliant. They still haven't sent me the details of it though which is annoying :/

AHHHH EXAMS START MONDAY :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending