The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Bradford - Reviews

Hey,

So i'm currently going through the long selection process of picking out uni's. Being totally honest Bradford wasn't the first place on my mind, tbh didn't even know it existed. The reason it is now my number 1 choice as it is the only place that offer what I want (ICT with Business). :smile:

I've looked around all the usual places, review sites, youtube clips etc. However i'm strugling to really put my finger on what it's like :confused: So I was wondering if anyone whos'e been recently or is currently attending or visited alot recently could share their views about the place.

From what I see from all the promo there is a massive re-furb going on which is too be completed by 2015! Which would be perfect for me as it means would be completed by the beginning of my second year in a 4 year course. :biggrin: Was wondering if this was true or a bit of spill... Also I live in London so it's a good 4/6 hour drive from my "family" home to home if that makes sense :biggrin: So I was wondering what parking was like as I've just passed and brought a car?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wastry
Hey,

So i'm currently going through the long selection process of picking out uni's. Being totally honest Bradford wasn't the first place on my mind, tbh didn't even know it existed. The reason it is now my number 1 choice as it is the only place that offer what I want (ICT with Business). :smile:

I've looked around all the usual places, review sites, youtube clips etc. However i'm strugling to really put my finger on what it's like :confused: So I was wondering if anyone whos'e been recently or is currently attending or visited alot recently could share their views about the place.

From what I see from all the promo there is a massive re-furb going on which is too be completed by 2015! Which would be perfect for me as it means would be completed by the beginning of my second year in a 4 year course. :biggrin: Was wondering if this was true or a bit of spill... Also I live in London so it's a good 4/6 hour drive from my "family" home to home if that makes sense :biggrin: So I was wondering what parking was like as I've just passed and brought a car?

Hey Wastry,

I'm heading here in September for their Clin Sci / Foundation Med programme. I've lived near Leeds all my life so not far away! I really like the uni. It feels quite modern, but still not too vast and it seems to have good resources. They don't encourage people to have cars on campus, but you can get permits etc at some halls of residence - if that's where you'd be living. Bradford has good rail links otherwise. It'd probably London KX to Leeds, then Leeds to Bradford. Not too long from Leeds to Bradford, although I get why the whole London train commute with suitcases to move in would be a massive pain. There's a lot of refurb going on now which is nice. The uni does feel very new and modern in a lot of places.

If I can help more, just yell!
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
basically its just a load of pakistani people along with other asians
Reply 3
I've lived in Bradford for 15 years after moving here from the south. Don't do it. What ever your circumstances are try your hardest to avoid it. The city centre is literally a hole. They knocked a large area of the town down to rebuild and that has yet to happen. There are few restaurants and clubs and has the atmosphere of a stagnant pond.

The people are Chavs or Muslim. I don't mean that in a bad way, but you have to accept (and from my experience living here) that it's not that muslims are not nice people, they're just so culturally different you wont have a social life.

If you're muslim on the other hand, come on up lol, you'll probably have a good time. Since moving here it has been my ambition to leave.
Reply 4
If you're part of the EDL, you're gonna have a rough time living here.
i have a cousin living in leeds (45 mins) from the school and i'm having a hard time deciding whether I should live with her or commute to school. btw im going for pharmacy and apparently i have class everyday starting at 9am and usually ending around 5pm. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks!
Reply 6
I'm from Leeds, so I've been to bradford many time, and Lauren_x has said it all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I've just visited Bradford, and I think the campus is ok, because it's quite modern (at least the Richmond Building is), but I found some of the students (well males) were a little scary. I was walking up the road to the uni, passed Bradford College towards the Richmond Building, and this guy started talking to me. I tried walking away but he still followed. I went down the road towards the Richmond Building and he waved good bye. But scary!! This wasn't a one off either, every time I walked up or down that road some weird guy had to say something pervy.
Reply 8
Original post by Swoosh
I've just visited Bradford, and I think the campus is ok, because it's quite modern (at least the Richmond Building is), but I found some of the students (well males) were a little scary. I was walking up the road to the uni, passed Bradford College towards the Richmond Building, and this guy started talking to me. I tried walking away but he still followed. I went down the road towards the Richmond Building and he waved good bye. But scary!! This wasn't a one off either, every time I walked up or down that road some weird guy had to say something pervy.

Are you sure he was a student? Cause it doesn't sound like it. If you pass in front of Bradford College, you've probably met someone weird from the college or just a chav.
Bradford Uni is right in the middle of a big city.... so don't be put of by that- there are loads of police around normally too. The campus is nice and modern and really safe (i dont mind walkin through there at 4am after a night out!)
Shopping in the city centre isnt great for clothes and stuff but leeds is stupid close for that! Food is cheap and uni has most buildings open 24 hours.
The down side is its really cold in the winter and icey... and it rains a lot most of the time. Trains and bus's are easy to get anywhere and there is a free city bus.
The club nights are good- and cheep and there are what feels like a million sports and clubs, event a student radio station...
PM me for more info :smile:
u seem to be doing a lot of publicising for it...hmmm i wonder why
Original post by miss_sexy
u seem to be doing a lot of publicising for it...hmmm i wonder why

I just get pissed off with all the bad press Bradford gets for pretty much no reason... So I made it my mission this year to help get the real Bradford across- trust me there are still issues, like any big city or university- nothing is perfect.
Did I mention how cold and windy it is? lol
Reply 12
Original post by DigitalMoose
Did I mention how cold and windy it is? lol

Quoting just for reference...

Putting everything aside, Bradford is more windy than rainy. I know people complain about the UK being rainy all the time, but Bradford has been mostly windy while I've been here. So I'd rather it be windy than rainy...
bradford you have to put the crap aside and look at the university, I mean I was born there and I hate it..... but even though its a small university its safe. Its all close together,the apartments surround it, if your religious i.e. muslim,or christian and need to go pray, again theres plenty of religious buildings near uni and a prayer room on campus, theres a uni gym at the uni,its pretty cheap and some halls have their own including mine so thats good, theres cafes and coffee shops all over the uni which to a student is a big thing, try doing an all nighter with no coffee, ul go crazy, opposite uni we have a subways, a supermarket, we have shops in the university if your a bit unsure going off campus at night. If you drink then we have our own good new bars with pool tables and so on. We have a club,regular DJ's including a friend of mine whos pretty good. Building is secure,cameras,keycard locked and security 24/7. I have to admit it is quite secure and feels a safe little university,we also have police usually about and as much as we all hate police its nice to see them there. The uni is near the center of Bradford, sadly bradford isnt much these days, after years of 2 giant riots, there isnt as many stores to see but there are markets,supermarkets,some good stores and a shopping center to visit and also Forster sq retail park.Also bradford has 2 main train stations and a bus station so plent of travel access + we have a free bus system through the city.
Thats pretty much all the good stuff over with, the bad stuff. We are based right next to bradford college,which is just chav paradise,if you are to walk up past there all you smell is them smoking weed, its kind of sad really as you look at them and you know 90% of them will be working in asda or mcdonalds forever.... other bad stuff....fees, ul realise ur paying for nothing but most uni students notice that. all i can think of
Reply 14
I'm a final year at Bradford University. The city centre itself is not the most pleasant of places, but it does have some beautiful architecture and history, and the University itself is good. For shopping, it has all the basics, but for a bigger shopping trip Leeds is only 20mins on the train. Areas outside the city centre can be lovely, and everyone seems to judge the entirity of Bradford just by that. Where I live is a quiet residential area with families, it is possible to find nice places to live in Bradford and on the plus side things are generally cheaper.

Travel is good, we have a bus station, 2 train stations and a free city bus to take you around the city.

Bradford is good for ICT subjects, and we also have the National Media Museum which is a really great resource for media/art/animation/game design students, as it also has a retro arcade and of course the IMAX cinema.

So in conclusion, Bradford has it's problems like many large city centres, but it isn't half has bad as some people occasionally like to make out. And no, Bradford isn't 'full of muslims,' they make up a minority percentage of the city. Bradford does have 'culturally concentrated areas,' and you also shouldn't be so judgemental. I am not a muslim myself (I'm white), but I do have muslim friends and they are just as pleasant as anyone. There are bad people within every faith, but if you greet them with the kind of attitude you have of course you aren't going to have a positive reaction from anyone.
Original post by Plushie
I'm a final year at Bradford University. The city centre itself is not the most pleasant of places, but it does have some beautiful architecture and history, and the University itself is good. For shopping, it has all the basics, but for a bigger shopping trip Leeds is only 20mins on the train. Areas outside the city centre can be lovely, and everyone seems to judge the entirity of Bradford just by that. Where I live is a quiet residential area with families, it is possible to find nice places to live in Bradford and on the plus side things are generally cheaper.

Travel is good, we have a bus station, 2 train stations and a free city bus to take you around the city.

Bradford is good for ICT subjects, and we also have the National Media Museum which is a really great resource for media/art/animation/game design students, as it also has a retro arcade and of course the IMAX cinema.

So in conclusion, Bradford has it's problems like many large city centres, but it isn't half has bad as some people occasionally like to make out. And no, Bradford isn't 'full of muslims,' they make up a minority percentage of the city. Bradford does have 'culturally concentrated areas,' and you also shouldn't be so judgemental. I am not a muslim myself (I'm white), but I do have muslim friends and they are just as pleasant as anyone. There are bad people within every faith, but if you greet them with the kind of attitude you have of course you aren't going to have a positive reaction from anyone.

You do realise white people can be muslims too lol its a religion not a race
Reply 16
Original post by britishgoose01
You do realise white people can be muslims too lol its a religion not a race

Of course I know that, wasn't thinking when I typed it, what would have been better is 'I'm not a muslim.' There are some white muslim people at Bradford University actually. Sorry :smile:
Original post by Plushie
Of course I know that, wasn't thinking when I typed it, what would have been better is 'I'm not a muslim.' There are some white muslim people at Bradford University actually. Sorry :smile:

was only messing lol
I stayed at holmewood in a student flat with a few EDL members. We had a lovely garden with a stable and an outdoor pool. Whats great is the people don't use cars they get around on their horses. Its like living in 18th century Rome. Nightlife is great Village is the place be. Drugs are very cheap,also food is very affordable. Josh Clarkes Fish and Chip shop is the place to be for the local cuisine. Overall Bradford is a beautiful place , very similar to Dubai. Fashion stores is very similar to Milan. Some say Versace was established in Bradford and Louise Vuitton was born in Bradford. Mr Tom Ford fragrances are inspired by the smell of Bradford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending