The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I am finally in officially.

Had 3 exams this week, 1 on Monday, 2 today.

Now A2 P+E on Monday, behind I am on revision but gonna finish my notes today/tomorrow morning.

Cutting it very fine in terms of timing but meh. Hope everyone else is cool. :h:

Also meant to ask, whats the essay technique for those wanting to achieve A's/Bs?

My RE teacher told me to take the approach of a boxing match..
Original post by Ineluctable
I'm getting a dangerous site warning from my Firefox.

Yeah don't worry, it's a school moodle site that I've used for a while. For some reason I always get those issues when going on moodles!

Yes neg me for sharing, thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
does anyone know how you structure a non-applied ethics essay? like free will. Is it the same as philosophy like
present argument
strengths and weaknesses of argument etc
conclude with result of assessment?

Actually, does anyone have any tips on essay structure in general?

thanks!
Original post by Nayberay
I am finally in officially.

Had 3 exams this week, 1 on Monday, 2 today.

Now A2 P+E on Monday, behind I am on revision but gonna finish my notes today/tomorrow morning.

Cutting it very fine in terms of timing but meh. Hope everyone else is cool. :h:

Also meant to ask, whats the essay technique for those wanting to achieve A's/Bs?

My RE teacher told me to take the approach of a boxing match..

they don't have specific grade boundaries as such but when they've marked your paper they put you in a numbered band 1-5.

5 is the equivalent of an A but isn't necessarily an A... which is like 30/35 4 is B equivalent and i think is 23/35..

PS: what does your teacher mean take it like a boxing match??
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey guys, this is a really awesome site for philosophy. It has some majorly awesome powerpoints (far better than any book) for everything. MAJOR RECOMMEND!

https://learning.watfordboys.herts.sch.uk/course/view.php?id=133

That's so helpful, thank you! :smile:
Reply 445
Original post by olivecoll
I'm so screwed i have been focusing on biology and history so left it so late. Need a b to get an A but thinking it could be really hard marking this year.

Same! i've got Biology monday afternoon as well, just had a major breakdown/panic. I'm seriously not going to sleep until monday is over! And then I have geography the next day. LOVE MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 446
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey guys, this is a really awesome site for philosophy. It has some majorly awesome powerpoints (far better than any book) for everything. MAJOR RECOMMEND!

https://learning.watfordboys.herts.sch.uk/course/view.php?id=133

Thank you sooooooo much for sharing this link, I am literally gonna spend the whole day tomorrow going through these power-points, had a peek at a couple and they look ridiculously useful.

It may be that I owe you my philosophy and ethics grade...and maybe my uni place haha, we'll have to see.

Seriously though, thanks :smile: x
So, anyone else got an all nighter planned tomorrow night?!
Original post by senator88

most probably.
Original post by goofy-blues
most probably.

Sucks doesn't it? Went to a revision session at school today on it, and tbh it made me feel worse! I'm most worried about AS Links..
Sucks doesn't it? Went to a revision session at school today on it, and tbh it made me feel worse! I'm most worried about AS Links..

yeah. i'm resitting from last year so it's been 2 years since AS. Personally i think there is WAY too much stuff in these papers. It would be fine if they would spread them out but 3 hours of writing is so intense! I start to lose momentum after a while.

I find all nighters counter-productive. There comes a point where you are not taking anything more in, and it would be better to get lots of rest before the exam.
Could somebody help me please!!!!
My school don't do Philosophy and ethics at school. So i've decided to somehow teach myself this whole a level myself.
Massive problem...
I've only taught myself 2 topics in philosophy (Life after death + Religious language) So i was going to DEFINITELY answer those two questions and not have a choice.

But I've realised how bad I am with life after death, like I'm seriously struggling how to write questions.

So I'm going to try and learn Nature of God in a day...

BUT i don't have a good text book! Does anybody have any notes on Nature of God that would help me please please please?!

I'm stressing so much because the exam is on monday and I want to revise as well. Ahhh. So yeah any help would be much much appreciated thanks! :smile:
Original post by goofy-blues
does anyone know how you structure a non-applied ethics essay? like free will. Is it the same as philosophy like
present argument
strengths and weaknesses of argument etc
conclude with result of assessment?

Actually, does anyone have any tips on essay structure in general?

thanks!

This may sound ridiculously simple, but answer the question. You have to reach a judgement at the end which answers the question, so it is best to do the essay in the form of an argument. Doing stuff like putting two different views, then evaluating both to see which is stronger will get you high marks as well.
Original post by Wanttobeasucess
Could somebody help me please!!!!
My school don't do Philosophy and ethics at school. So i've decided to somehow teach myself this whole a level myself.
Massive problem...
I've only taught myself 2 topics in philosophy (Life after death + Religious language) So i was going to DEFINITELY answer those two questions and not have a choice.

But I've realised how bad I am with life after death, like I'm seriously struggling how to write questions.

So I'm going to try and learn Nature of God in a day...

BUT i don't have a good text book! Does anybody have any notes on Nature of God that would help me please please please?!

I'm stressing so much because the exam is on monday and I want to revise as well. Ahhh. So yeah any help would be much much appreciated thanks! :smile:

You taught yourself? I would give you my notes on nature of God but I don't have any :colondollar:. Here are some links though:

https://learning.watfordboys.herts.sch.uk/course/view.php?id=133 (credit to Noodlzzz for finding it)

http://www.rsrevision.com/contents/index.htm

For ethics specifically (but quite detailed): http://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/
I find all nighters counter-productive. There comes a point where you are not taking anything more in, and it would be better to get lots of rest before the exam.

Very true :frown: Think i'm just gonna call in sick at work instead... even though they may kill me
You taught yourself? I would give you my notes on nature of God but I don't have any :colondollar:. Here are some links though:

https://learning.watfordboys.herts.sch.uk/course/view.php?id=133 (credit to Noodlzzz for finding it)

http://www.rsrevision.com/contents/index.htm

For ethics specifically (but quite detailed): http://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/

Yeah I must be crazy...
thanks for the sites!
Very true :frown: Think i'm just gonna call in sick at work instead... even though they may kill me

They won't let you take time off for an A2 exam?!
They won't let you take time off for an A2 exam?!

Nope! meant to be working sunday as well but already decided I was 'calling in sick for that', but oh well. Obviously this is more important!
Original post by Wanttobeasucess
Yeah I must be crazy...
thanks for the sites!

here are some on life after death Religious Langage Revelation Religious Experience

Very easy, in bite sized chunks - made my learning of it so much simpler - includes sample essay questions, approaches and evaluation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending