The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sportycricketer
All in one paper, are you sure?? And some Innate behaviour was tested at the end of Jan 2011?

It is a 1h 45m paper remember...module 1 did'nt feature as much as others in Jan...
Reply 1301
Original post by R.Fanatic
You guys, i've gone over the past papers and im really confident these topics are going to come up on monday:
1. Apoptosis
2. Meiosis
3. Lac operon
4. Chi-squared x^2
5. Immobilised enzymes
6. Gene Therapy
7. Genetic engineering - Golden rice
8. Succession
9. Conservation
10. Galapagos and humans
11. The brain
12. Sliding filament model
13. Innate behaviour
14. Learned behaviour

I bet you any money they're going to come up... especially gene therapy

There was quite a bit on learned behaviour at the end of the Jan 2011 paper, but good list, i have a feeling this stuff might come up as well.
Reply 1302
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Hello :tongue:

I'm not too good on chi squared but I think you do you it like this :redface:

Because it's a dihybrid cross (I think :tongue:) you'd expect the ratio to be 9:3:3:1 like this- 9 both dominant genes : 3 dominant first gene recessive second gene : 3 recessive first dominant second : 1 both recessive

I don't know which out of grey/black is dominant but if we say grey is, and normal wings are:
So to work out the expected value of having both grey and normal wings you take 320 (total) divided by 16 (ratio total - 9+3+3+1) times by 9 (predicted ratio for grey and normal - both dominant)
This gives 180

Black/normal: 320/16 x 3 = 60
Grey/bent: 320/16 x 3 = 60
Black/bent: 320/16 x 1 = 20

To check, 180 + 60 + 60 + 20 = 320 (total)

Is that all you needed help with?
Someone else may be able to explain better, especially as i'm confused that the expected results are that different from the observed :s-smilie:

Your values total up but im confused too like you about the observed and expected. Im not keen on chi squared!
Original post by NWA
There was quite a bit on learned behaviour at the end of the Jan 2011 paper, but good list, i have a feeling this stuff might come up as well.

Immobolised enzymes was in the practical task...why would they examine it in the written? hmm
Original post by Rosi M

Your values total up but im confused too like you about the observed and expected. Im not keen on chi squared!

No probs, sorry I probably didn't help much :redface:
Me neither, it came up in June 2010 and it's on the specimen though, so hopefully it won't come up :crossedf:
Reply 1305
You're all talking about stuff that hasn't come up yet, but surely there's no reason for them not to repeat stuff they tested on past papers?

Starting to seriously stress about this exam. I thought I understood it all, and I think I do, but there's no way I remember all of it well enough to do the exam on it yet :frown: Good thing I've got the weekend I guess...
Reply 1306
No probs, sorry I probably didn't help much :redface:
Me neither, it came up in June 2010 and it's on the specimen though, so hopefully it won't come up :crossedf:

Hopefully! But its not that bad if your good at it. Good marks. Shame were not good at it. :tongue:
Original post by Rosi M
Hopefully! But its not that bad if your good at it. Good marks. Shame were not good at it. :tongue:

Haha good point! :tongue:
Reply 1308
Haha good point! :tongue:

Of course its a good point :tongue:

I swear to god i hate auxin!!!! Its going to kill me on monday
Reply 1309
aah ok so i just did the june 2010 paper and got 63!!! 2 marks off an A!! im so gutted coz ive spent soooo much time on this unit.
u know the q. 1 c) i didnt know wth it was asking i thought it meant why microorganisms are a good source i was wayyyy off the point, it was actually asking for gene technology which i knew!!so that was 8 marks down the toilet.
im just scared im gonna do the same mistake in the exam!!

also what i have noticed and recommend u all do is to make a list of ALL the BOLD words in the book they keywords and just throw them into an answer related to the topic, thats where i go wrong im not specific enough!!!
lol not that anyone cares but this exam is really starting to scare me now!!! :frown:
Original post by Rosi M
Of course its a good point :tongue:

I swear to god i hate auxin!!!! Its going to kill me on monday

ahh me too.. i just hate plants in general. and muscles. and everything in this module :frown:
Reply 1311
You guys, i've gone over the past papers and im really confident these topics are going to come up on monday:
1. Apoptosis
2. Meiosis
3. Lac operon
4. Chi-squared x^2
5. Immobilised enzymes
6. Gene Therapy
7. Genetic engineering - Golden rice
8. Succession
9. Conservation
10. Galapagos and humans
11. The brain
12. Sliding filament model
13. Innate behaviour
14. Learned behaviour

I bet you any money they're going to come up... especially gene therapy

ok can i get £1000000 if one of them doesnt come up? :p:

btw i also think that golden rice will be on it!
but are u sure about lac operon? it was on the jan 2011 paper...hmmm
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio105/geneprob.htm

This is a website for genetic crosses that has helped me loads
Original post by 786girl

Original post by 786girl
ok can i get £1000000 if one of them doesnt come up? :p:

btw i also think that golden rice will be on it!
but are u sure about lac operon? it was on the jan 2011 paper...hmmm

lool yeah but if they ALL come up, i get that money :biggrin: ... yer im really confident it will because even though it came up, i know the examiners will slip it in there in a confusing and baffling way no one has ever thought of:angry:......they do that all the time
Original post by Rosi M
Anybody also do OCR Chemistry? (Wednesday exam F325) How are you balancing both?

With difficulty, but done a lot of chemistry before so hoping I can remember it and concentrating on biol for now. From mon eve, time to highlight all chem notes; fun times :s-smilie:
lool yeah but if they ALL come up, i get that money :biggrin: ... yer im really confident it will because even though it came up, i know the examiners will slip it in there in a confusing and baffling way no one has ever thought of:angry:......they do that all the time

yeh they probably will- maybe a long ethics question me thinks :frown:
Reply 1316
Original post by NWA

Yeh i dont rekon behaviour willl come up!
Original post by science rules! :)

What would we write for that?
Ahhh this syllabus is sososo boring :/
Original post by science rules! :)

a long ethics question on the lac operon? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending