The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limitless
So how old will you be when you apply for university and if everything goes to plan start university?

Same as everyone else in Year 12, apply when I'm 17 in October, and I'll be 18 when I enter (hopefully haha)
Original post by tkoki1993
ahhh i wish i started my GCSEs in year 9... I wouldve probably got the same grades... possibly even better... I reached my peak in year 10 then declined in year 11

Not so for me, I discovered the joy of xbox procrastinating in Year 10, and didn't revise at all for my GCSEs, hence why they're not that good :/
Original post by Normandy114
Not so for me, I discovered the joy of xbox procrastinating in Year 10, and didn't revise at all for my GCSEs, hence why they're not that good :/

What were your GCSEs?
Original post by Limitless
What were your GCSEs?

A*, 5A's, 4B's and a C. It's just enough to be eligible for most universities apart from the ones that really like GCSEs.

see I discovered play station 3 and the joys of procrastinating in year 11... plus i got a bit arrogant if im honest
A*, 5A's, 4B's and a C. It's just enough to be eligible for most universities apart from the ones that really like GCSEs.

Similar to mine then I got 1.5A* 5As and 3Bs.
see I discovered play station 3 and the joys of procrastinating in year 11... plus i got a bit arrogant if im honest

Same, I had no inclination to medicine at the time, so I just thought 'eh, I'll get decent grades anyway, xbox is more fun' and played it for a good portion of my study leave that term :colone:.
Same, I had no inclination to medicine at the time, so I just thought 'eh, I'll get decent grades anyway, xbox is more fun' and played it for a good portion of my study leave that term :colone:.

my downfall was sleep... I was asleep for most of study leave
Reply 3688
I actually never got study leave :frown:
my downfall was sleep... I was asleep for most of study leave

Thats me this year! So knackard from college that I'm always too tired to revise, so I have to sleep... but then who want to revise when they've just woken up :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Thats me this year! So knackard from college that I'm always too tired to revise, so I have to sleep... but then who want to revise when they've just woken up :tongue:

I overcame the sleep problem by waking up at 3/4 to revise seeing as I'll sleep during the day, I might as well work during the night :colone:
Aww lol :tongue: I nearly considered applying to there, but thought it was too close to home... 60miles away but still too close to home lol I think they also went for high ukcats so it wasn't worth me applying :tongue: where you considering reapplying too?

I was retarded last year and chose places like Edinburgh and Leeds which I now know require you to have about 15A*s. That was a waste of 2 choices lol if I get a similar, but hopefully better ukcat score since I'm a year older, ill choose Newcastle again. I like hyms but I need to find out about their 4th a level requirements. And if I somehow get like an immense ukcat I'll see what happens at Sheffield, but I'm gonna wait n see how that goes and my volunteering over the summer to choose properly.
What about you? And where did you apply to last year
Just one question.. what is the importance for Ukcat for example I did not get good AS results due to some reason however I do get a high Ukcat score am I still able to get in a good university?
Reply 3693
Original post by manic_fuzz
well before the price goes up, so before September! But otherwise it's down to what you think will suit you, some people take it earlier to get it out of the way and allow time to enjoy summer, some later so they have a lot of time to prepare, but most people say that you only need to have a few weeks to prepare just to get used to the questions, obviously the '600 UKCAT Questions' book seems to be the best to read

ah they don't make different papers, i'm pretty sure it's all the same one, but they get everyone who takes it to sign a contract thing to declare that they shan't discuss it, plus, as if anyone would try and help out anyone else by telling them the questions afterwards, in this situation medicine is too competitive to be nice :wink: :laugh:

Ahh I seee!
Thanks! =D
Reply 3694
Original post by singh224
Just one question.. what is the importance for Ukcat for example I did not get good AS results due to some reason however I do get a high Ukcat score am I still able to get in a good university?

Which unis are you thinking about ?
I overcame the sleep problem by waking up at 3/4 to revise seeing as I'll sleep during the day, I might as well work during the night :colone:

See I would do (I think I'd be completely nocturnal if I was allowed) that but my mum tells me off, and I have a two year old sister who frequently comes and attacks me if I'm not up to play with (and who also has some quite noisy tantrums) but if I can't sleep, I do read over the ever so interesting "how to sequence a genome"

Original post by Limesasquatch
I was retarded last year and chose places like Edinburgh and Leeds which I now know require you to have about 15A*s. That was a waste of 2 choices lol if I get a similar, but hopefully better ukcat score since I'm a year older, ill choose Newcastle again. I like hyms but I need to find out about their 4th a level requirements. And if I somehow get like an immense ukcat I'll see what happens at Sheffield, but I'm gonna wait n see how that goes and my volunteering over the summer to choose properly.
What about you? And where did you apply to last year

I applied to Edinburgh too! Such a lovely place but such a stupid decision and they were rude to me twice so I'm not replying again! That'll show them! lol I need to improve my UKCAT I think that as a major thing just because it was an easy decision to kick me on. I like york but I wasn't as keen on the pbl (i think thats what they are)

I went for St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee < that was also a waste because i didn't know where else to apply so just picked it without looking into it too much. Still looking at St. Andrews because its my favourite, probably Aberdeen again then maybe Cardiff and Queens Belfast though I'm not too sure yet. Probs just wait and see too :tongue:

What was your ukcat like?
Reply 3696
Ugg..I feel like a n00b compared to school leavers (applying for graduate program :>)
I applied to Edinburgh too! Such a lovely place but such a stupid decision and they were rude to me twice so I'm not replying again! That'll show them! lol I need to improve my UKCAT I think that as a major thing just because it was an easy decision to kick me on. I like york but I wasn't as keen on the pbl (i think thats what they are)

I went for St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee < that was also a waste because i didn't know where else to apply so just picked it without looking into it too much. Still looking at St. Andrews because its my favourite, probably Aberdeen again then maybe Cardiff and Queens Belfast though I'm not too sure yet. Probs just wait and see too :tongue:

What was your ukcat like?

Oh yes Cardiff!! I forgot to mention that one because it's pretty mint and they don't seem to have those annoyingly high standards for applicants!! But I'm not sure
I got 687.5 and i spent the best ladybug two weeks holiday revising for it, and I've rubbed all the answers out of that book so I can reuse it for this year :biggrin: wbu?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Limesasquatch
Oh yes Cardiff!! I forgot to mention that one because it's pretty mint and they don't seem to have those annoyingly high standards for applicants!! But I'm not sure
I got 687.5 and i spent the best ladybug two weeks holiday revising for it, and I've rubbed all the answers out of that book so I can reuse it for this year :biggrin: wbu?

hahaha ladybug lol I always mess up with autocorrect :tongue: Damnnn thats quite a good ukcat :smile: I got like 632.5 but i did revision on and off for two weeks and got stressed out so couldn't do it, so gave up... sooo not doing that this year. Gonna get the 600Q book thing :smile:
Night guys! :yawn:

Latest

Trending

Trending