The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
That makes deciding which college a lot easier :wink:

She wont be there by the time we go (if we get in) As she's a third year starting in October :frown: She'll graduate before we even start uni!
Reply 1001
Original post by Brand New Eyes
She wont be there by the time we go (if we get in) As she's a third year starting in October :frown: She'll graduate before we even start uni!

:console:
Original post by BJack
:console:

Aww! that it the cutest smiley I've ever seen. :frown: You'll be there if she goes! lucky
Reply 1003
Aww! that it the cutest smiley I've ever seen. :frown: You'll be there if she goes! lucky

Might just have to make some impromptu drop-ins to see people I haven't spoken to since leaving school. :teeth:
Original post by BJack
Might just have to make some impromptu drop-ins to see people I haven't spoken to since leaving school. :teeth:

Haha, sounds like plan *jealous face* :wink: You graduated already? Oh...
:frown: ... that's what my shrink says!

Hey, that wasn't a negative comment :lol: We all need a little crazy :crazy:

Original post by LtCommanderData
I feel like that about Physics - I love the subject, except when I have a lot of Physics homework, or exams coming up :frown:

Googolplex facts:
Apparently 'google' was originally a misspelling of the word googol (they should have googled it to check, too late now), and the google headquarters is known as the googleplex. If you like very large numbers, I recommend Graham's number

597/600 - I bet he's kicking himself over those 3 UMS points! I have a friend who got 100% at A2 History and ninety-something % at AS. He was very pleased on AS results day, but after getting 100% at A2 he wished he'd done better - although it doesn't really matter, apart from personal satisfaction

Oh ew Physics. :P Yeah, those 3 were lost in M!, so even more upsetting - You now how Mee
chanics papers always have some idiotic question thrown in somewhere?

In other news, we had a Higher Education day today, during study leave period. :frown: An Oxford lady came and she was lovely, didn't learn anything new though. It seems to be the case that the first talk, possibly even the second are useful regarding Oxbridge applications, but by the time we get the sixth, seventh, eighth, they're all reading from the same script. Ironically, the people in the talks most likely to get a place are the people who benefit least in them, because they've already done the research temselves, at least 6 months prior.
STEP is fun if you're me - it's not as routine and ultimately dull as A-level questions, and if, like for me, the result has no bearing on anything, there's no pressure! Which makes a nice change from A-level stuff which is dull and affects the future :frown:

P = NP is interesting, and I think I understand the general idea, but I don't know a lot of the theory behind it. The Riemann hypothesis is one of the biggest open problems in number theory.

For quoting, have you tried clicking the little + signs at the bottom right of each post you want to quote?

Ah I see, could you possibly rate these modules on how hard/easy to learn/quick to learn they are :biggrin:? pretty please? FP1 FP2 C3 C4 S2 D1 M1 on a scale of 0-10
0 being very easy 10 being the hardest/prolonged suffering and boredom

thanks! Also, what is partial differentiation and which unit does it come up in?

Ah, I kinda understand the problem of P versus NP but Riemann... no clue.

Yeah I tried that, but it just quotes the whole thing :/ hmmm
Original post by Bright Lights
Hey, that wasn't a negative comment :lol: We all need a little crazy :crazy:

Hah I know, I don't really have a shrink :rolleyes: *looks other way*
Hah I know, I don't really have a shrink :rolleyes: *looks other way*

:eek: Well, I strongly suggest you get one *looks same way*
:eek: Well, I strongly suggest you get one *looks same way*

:P Lol. You're a E&Mer right? Do you know what partial differentiation is!? Is it in C3/4? S2?

Oh ew Physics. :P Yeah, those 3 were lost in M!, so even more upsetting - You now how Mechanics papers always have some idiotic question thrown in somewhere?

Yeah, it's tougher to get 100% in applied modules, because of those odd little sub-questions.

In other news, we had a Higher Education day today, during study leave period. :frown: An Oxford lady came and she was lovely, didn't learn anything new though. It seems to be the case that the first talk, possibly even the second are useful regarding Oxbridge applications, but by the time we get the sixth, seventh, eighth, they're all reading from the same script. Ironically, the people in the talks most likely to get a place are the people who benefit least in them, because they've already done the research temselves, at least 6 months prior.

Yes - I think the real benefit of those things is being able to ask the people from Oxford questions, because the answers are always more accurate than what you school can provide. My school had a thing where an admissions tutor from each of Oxford and Cambridge came in and talked to us. I attended it, and ended up sitting next to the dad of one of my friends, who was taking notes of what they were saying. I peeked at his notepad once or twice, and he was writing phrases (that the admissions people were saying) such as "exceptional candidate" :tongue: . A lot of those things is them saying in different ways that they want the most able and motivated candidates over and over again.

It's worth noting that this friend got rejected, so on that basis alone I recommend strongly that you avoid anything which might give the impression that you're an 'exceptional candidate'.

Ah I see, could you possibly rate these modules on how hard/easy to learn/quick to learn they are :biggrin:? pretty please? FP1 FP2 C3 C4 S2 D1 M1 on a scale of 0-10
0 being very easy 10 being the hardest/prolonged suffering and boredom

FP1 = 2 (it's easy - there are lots of new concepts, but they aren't applied in very difficult ways)
FP2 = 5 (definitely harder than FP1, but still very doable)
C3 = 4 (I found it quite easy, some people find it hard - I'd say that once you've done C4, C3 becomes much easier. If I remember correctly, it's mostly differentiation and trigonometric identities - get those down, and you're set)
C4 = 5 (I don't think it's really harder than C3, but I did quite a bit worse in the C4 exam than the C3, so I must deem C4 harder on that basis)
S2 = 4 (I don't like stats that much, but I didn't find it particularly hard - it's more an issue of memory than difficulty)
D1 = 2 (notoriously easy, although if you put no effort into learning it you won't be able to do it. Maybe less intuitive for some people, but that's where the bulk of the challenge ends)
M1 = 2 (another easy '1' module. Especially easy if you do Physics)

Obviously the above are just my opinions, and almost everybody would disagree with me!

thanks! Also, what is partial differentiation and which unit does it come up in?

I don't specifically remember partial differentiation coming up in any of the modules I've done, unless I did it but don't remember calling it that. :s sorry

Ah, I kinda understand the problem of P versus NP but Riemann... no clue.

The Riemann is something to do with prime numbers. 'The Music of the Primes' by Marcus du Sautoy is an interesting book giving a historical background to it - very interesting if you like reading about mathematicians of the past, with a bit about modern cryptography at the end.

Yeah I tried that, but it just quotes the whole thing :/ hmmm

Aaah, I see what you mean now. I just type (/quote) *insert response here* (quote) wherever I want to insert a response (replacing '( )' with '[ ]', obviously)
Yeah, it's tougher to get 100% in applied modules, because of those odd little sub-questions.

FP1 = 2 (it's easy - there are lots of new concepts, but they aren't applied in very difficult ways)
FP2 = 5 (definitely harder than FP1, but still very doable)
C3 = 4 (I found it quite easy, some people find it hard - I'd say that once you've done C4, C3 becomes much easier. If I remember correctly, it's mostly differentiation and trigonometric identities - get those down, and you're set)
C4 = 5 (I don't think it's really harder than C3, but I did quite a bit worse in the C4 exam than the C3, so I must deem C4 harder on that basis)
S2 = 4 (I don't like stats that much, but I didn't find it particularly hard - it's more an issue of memory than difficulty)
D1 = 2 (notoriously easy, although if you put no effort into learning it you won't be able to do it. Maybe less intuitive for some people, but that's where the bulk of the challenge ends)
M1 = 2 (another easy '1' module. Especially easy if you do Physics)

Ah thanks! So FP2 and C4 are kindof the same? Sorry I forgot to add FP3 :smile: Thanks!

I don't specifically remember partial differentiation coming up in any of the modules I've done, unless I did it but don't remember calling it that. :s sorry

Ah don't worry, I didn't know whether it came up in A level or not, its part of econometrics in the first year econ course, so i suspected it wouldn't, just checking.

The Riemann is something to do with prime numbers. 'The Music of the Primes' by Marcus du Sautoy is an interesting book giving a historical background to it - very interesting if you like reading about mathematicians of the past, with a bit about modern cryptography at the end.
Hmm i remember that from Numbers (again), they'e proved it for the first something thousand/million numbers but they need to prove it for infinite numbers... or something

Noted, although I am no mathmatician, should be useful for my friend though :smile: Danke

Aaah, I see what you mean now. I just type (/quote) *insert response here* (quote) wherever I want to insert a response (replacing '( )' with '[ ]', obviously)

Long but... Eureka! lets see if this works :smile:

Ah don't worry, I didn't know whether it came up in A level or not, its part of econometrics in the first year econ course, so i suspected it wouldn't, just checking.

Partial differentiation is just your regular differentiation really. The only difference is it involves treating other variables as constants rather than implicitly differentiating like in C4. From what I've managed to gather, a good deal of the early econometrics/quantitative economics content is essentially A Level material used in a slightly different context. It's only if you decide to go down a more quantitative route after first year that you'll find the Math content to be of a much more difficult nature. That's the case for PPE at least, from what I've heard, but I suspect E&M will be the same in that sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1013
Original post by Niki_girl
:frown: . eugrh, college angst and I haven't even started writing my personal statement yet. Anyone else go to a school that wants a personal statement draft by July? :eek:

Original post by dnumberwang
Kind of. I think we're just "encouraged" though. I need to finish reading this book and actually read more than 1 ffs

You guys made me all nervous with this, so I now sat down all morning and finished my first draft. I now feel proud of myself even though it turned out pretty terrible and it's too long, too. Plus, I think if I'd send it off like that, they'd laugh at me. Oh well. Good thing it's just a draft. :smile:
Our school hasn't even mentioned personal statements yet. I made a truly terrible pre-1st draft a while ago, just so that I had something, and am now trying to work on a halfway decent 1st draft. I hope that by the third draft it will be readable. It's really difficult - you either sound like you're incredibly arrogant, or you write a massive cliche-fest, or both. :frown:
Original post by nightmare91
That's a shame, I am going to be there the night of the 5th-6th... May I ask what subject you're applying for? :smile:

Pity. I'm applying for maths, how about you? Maybe (if we're both very lucky) we'll see each other at interviews or something.
Original post by Reminisce

Username: Victor-PP
Subject: Economics & Management
IGCSEs (CIE) : 6A*s and 3 As
A levels this year: A2 Maths, A2 Physics and AS Economics
Next year: A2 Economics, AS & A2 Further Maths and I may pick up an extra AS level
Open application

E&M is pretty hard to get in, but I'd be kicking myself if I didn't try it. Do you guys know anyone who got into this course?
Original post by MeeMee
You guys made me all nervous with this, so I now sat down all morning and finished my first draft. I now feel proud of myself even though it turned out pretty terrible and it's too long, too. Plus, I think if I'd send it off like that, they'd laugh at me. Oh well. Good thing it's just a draft. :smile:

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Our school hasn't even mentioned personal statements yet. I made a truly terrible pre-1st draft a while ago, just so that I had something, and am now trying to work on a halfway decent 1st draft. I hope that by the third draft it will be readable. It's really difficult - you either sound like you're incredibly arrogant, or you write a massive cliche-fest, or both. :frown:

You're both now my inspiration. I have some stuff to do but by the end of the day I'm writing a first draft! :rolleyes:

No doubt it will be terrible.
Original post by Victor-PP
E&M is pretty hard to get in, but I'd be kicking myself if I didn't try it. Do you guys know anyone who got into this course?

A girl from my school got in last year, and 2 boys this year...before that though, it had been a while since anyone from our school had (it's due noting that they all got into Teddy Hall, even if applications were made for elsewhere).

So I'm applying for it at New, but I have a feeling that if I get an interview, chances are I'll be pooled to Teddy Hall :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Pity. I'm applying for maths, how about you? Maybe (if we're both very lucky) we'll see each other at interviews or something.

I'm applying for E&M :smile: Would be great if we are both lucky to get invited :biggrin: but it is sooo damn competitive... But just to get an interview would already be a great success, so let's pray :biggrin:
If its allowed to ask on this thread, what other universities are you applying to? Why did you choose Oxford over Cambridge for maths?

Latest

Trending

Trending