The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Do you like the look of the History courses at either uni? They're great institutions but if the course isn't your thing, there's no point sacrificing your interests :nah:

Oh I wouldn't get in. My grades simply aren't good enough.
Original post by adamrules247
Oh I wouldn't get in. My grades simply aren't good enough.

Well there are plenty of other great unis where you could have lots of fun :smile:
Well there are plenty of other great unis where you could have lots of fun :smile:

Hmm, we'll see. I genuinely don't know what to do. I want to stay away from city universities if possible. I want nice quiet unis!
Hmm, we'll see. I genuinely don't know what to do. I want to stay away from city universities if possible. I want nice quiet unis!

There must be plenty of good ones to choose from: it's just a matter of finding them! Have faith :smile:
There must be plenty of good ones to choose from: it's just a matter of finding them! Have faith :smile:

I know, just finding it really difficult at the moment :s-smilie: I will, He's just not being very clear to be honest.
I know, just finding it really difficult at the moment :s-smilie: I will, He's just not being very clear to be honest.

This is why I'm convinced God is male rather than female: He's incredibly annoying and unclear. The Blessed Virgin Mary is far easier to understand and talk to. Maybe you should try her. She's lovely :smile:
This is why I'm convinced God is male rather than female: He's incredibly annoying and unclear. The Blessed Virgin Mary is far easier to understand and talk to. Maybe you should try her. She's lovely :smile:

Shhh, He might hear you :ahee:

Oh I do try praying to Our Blessed Lady, I sometimes find praying to Saints a little difficult though.
Shhh, He might hear you :ahee:

Oh I do try praying to Our Blessed Lady, I sometimes find praying to Saints a little difficult though.

Oh He knows how I feel. We have fights about it. He finds me very amusing. Our sense of humours are rather incompatible :nopity:

I'm not good at praying to saints either: I just usually go straight for God. I'm trying to strike up a bond with Thérèse of Lisieux coz I think she can help me be a better Catholic and intercede in my situation. Plus I'm nearly the same age as she was when she died. She hasn't really said anything yet but to be fair I haven't said much to her either :nah:
Oh He knows how I feel. We have fights about it. He finds me very amusing. Our sense of humours are rather incompatible :nopity:

I'm not good at praying to saints either: I just usually go straight for God. I'm trying to strike up a bond with Thérèse of Lisieux coz I think she can help me be a better Catholic and intercede in my situation. Plus I'm nearly the same age as she was when she died. She hasn't really said anything yet but to be fair I haven't said much to her either :nah:

Well keep on trying :smile: The Holy Father recently said that prayer is like when Jacob wrestled with God and had to give into Him.

Random fact, my sponsor has a relic of St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Well keep on trying :smile: The Holy Father recently said that prayer is like when Jacob wrestled with God and had to give into Him.

Random fact, my sponsor has a relic of St. Thérèse of Lisieux

My problem is I'm not very good at giving in! I'm a rather undisciplined Catholic in that sense :frown:
My problem is I'm not very good at giving in! I'm a rather undisciplined Catholic in that sense :frown:

Argh, it is difficult. Oh well, we can only try I guess.
Reply 1991
I just like the style of course and the fact it's a Catholic uni. I think the way that education is run in this country is somewhat corrupt.I've got a guaranteed place at the University of Dundee to study history but I under estimated what grades I'd get. I thought I'd only get 2 Bs but it's looking like I'll get 2 As or an A and a B. My sponsor (who's sent one kid the Cambridge and another has a place at Oxford) reckons I've under-estimated myself and thinks I should be looking at Oxford/Cambridge, or at least somewhere far better. So i'm mighty confused at the moment.

Honestly, If you get 3 As, then Oxford is worth a shot! (I had **** GCSEs, A*AAD at A-Level, but I only wanted to do Theology, as I love it, and I somehow snuck in). Also, St Bennet's College Oxford is a Catholic (Benedictine) College. If I had seen more about it before I applied, I would have applied their (I had an interview their and it was great! You can do the Monastic things and say the office with them if you want to, but the college is all boys).

Also have you looked at places like Leuven (http://www.kuleuven.be/english/, they offer Theology for Undergraduates in English) or Notre Dame, another top Catholic Uni in America??

However, are you applying for History?
Reply 1992

Just wondering, but why are you called 'goatherd'?
Original post by De Lubac
Just wondering, but why are you called 'goatherd'?

It's a song from The Sound of Music :musicus:
Reply 1994
Original post by shinytoy
zomg

i asked the priests online if tattoing was a sin and they said :
what do you think of this

I think you need to look at the Cathechism of Catholic Doctrine to see the three necessary conditions for defining whether a sin is 'mortal' rather than visiting some website that could well be a spoof site.

Give us the url and we can have a look to see how genuine it is because after copying and pasting the text made available to you online onto google search, no result comes up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1995
Oooh, I've had an email from one of the Catholic US universities I'm thinking of applying to. Funding'll be difficult though :/

Have you had a look at Heythrop? It's a Catholic uni founded by the Jesuits and is situated in Kensington?

I know of someone in their second year there, and they love it. They applied to Oxford and didn't get an offer so went to Heythrop instead. Mind you, their speciality in Philosophy and Theology, although they do have other academic departments.

It could suit an historian though, especially someone who wants to know more about theology and arm themselves for 'apologetics' in the future. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
I think you need to look at the Cathechism of Catholic Doctrine to see the three necessary conditions for defining whether a sin is 'mortal' rather than visiting some website that could well be a spoof site.

Give us the url and we can have a look to see how genuine it is because after copying and pasting the text made available to you online onto google search, no result comes up.

thanks. the site is www.traditio.com under 'ask the Fathers' where you email in questions to catholic priests. i didnt include that in my post as they said the answers cannot be published. but i was so shocked to hear tattooing comes under 'thou shalt not murder' :confused:
Reply 1997
thanks. the site is www.traditio.com under 'ask the Fathers' where you email in questions to catholic priests. i didnt include that in my post as they said the answers cannot be published. but i was so shocked to hear tattooing comes under 'thou shalt not murder' :confused:

OK...having looked around their website and searching for information about them on the internet...from reputable sources...they consider V2 to be heretical. You can see where they are coming from; the middle ages.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to the extreme things they have said about tattoes...they take their theology to ridiculous levels.

Instead, go to Article 8 of the Cathechism of the Catholic Church and read what it has to say on sin; to commit mortal sin is a very difficult thing to do actually. Most importantly, it requires that the sinner is fully aware that what they are doing is gravely sinful.

Personally, I don't like tattoes at all. They are 'asthetically' unpleasing to my eyes. I think they look ugly. But as long as you are aware of the potential dangers to your health - and you have read what the CCC has to say - then the decision has to rest with you...providing you don't have a tattoo that is sacreligious and offensive to God. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
OK...having looked around their website and searching for information about them on the internet...from reputable sources...they consider V2 to be heretical. You can see where they are coming from; the middle ages.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to the extreme things they have said about tattoes...they take their theology to ridiculous levels.

Instead, go to Article 8 of the Cathechism of the Catholic Church and read what it has to say on sin; to commit mortal sin is a very difficult thing to do actually. Most importantly, it requires that the sinner is fully aware that what they are doing is gravely sinful.

Personally, I don't like tattoes at all. They are 'asthetically' unpleasing to my eyes. I think they look ugly. But as long as you are aware of the potential dangers to your health - and you have read what the CCC has to say - then the decision has to rest with you...providing you don't have a tattoo that is sacreligious and offensive to God. :smile:

awww :knuddel: bless you Yawn!!! :smile:

thanks soooo much!!!!! :smile: you have saved me from terrible misguidance!

you have no idea, i found the website cos i was looking for somewhere where i cold ask a priest stuff online and googled 'ask a roman catholic priest' thats how i found them, and assumed since they were priests all catholic priests are the same and whatever they said would be right. i didnt even read the website tbh. and i asked them a few questions over the past year, relying heavily on their advice.

o how wrong i was!!!! im not against V2 in any way!!!!!

yes i just want a tiny buttock, wrist or foot tattoo for my eyes only as an empowering thing. i've wanted it for many years but before i was 21, mom said i was too young. after 21 she said i was too old. so im gonna do it before i get toooo old. hmmm. its more self expression than anything. im so glad now my "desire to be cool' will NOT 'lead me to a very 'hot' place for all eternity'!!!!!!
awww :knuddel: bless you Yawn!!! :smile:

thanks soooo much!!!!! :smile: you have saved me from terrible misguidance!

you have no idea, i found the website cos i was looking for somewhere where i cold ask a priest stuff online and googled 'ask a roman catholic priest' thats how i found them, and assumed since they were priests all catholic priests are the same and whatever they said would be right. i didnt even read the website tbh. and i asked them a few questions over the past year, relying heavily on their advice.

o how wrong i was!!!! im not against V2 in any way!!!!!

yes i just want a tiny buttock, wrist or foot tattoo for my eyes only as an empowering thing. i've wanted it for many years but before i was 21, mom said i was too young. after 21 she said i was too old. so im gonna do it before i get toooo old. hmmm. its more self expression than anything. im so glad now my "desire to be cool' will NOT 'lead me to a very 'hot' place for all eternity'!!!!!!

A very wise Jesuit once told me that you have to try pretty hard to end up in Hell. I don't think getting a tattoo quite qualifies :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending