The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

I've been offered a place to read music at St. Hilda's....can you add me to the list please? Thank youuu x

I just wanted to check - for an AAA offer we don't need to get A grades in all our
A2 modules do we? We only need to get overall A?

:flip:
Original post by ~ Ellen Timothy ~

I've been offered a place to read music at St. Hilda's....can you add me to the list please? Thank youuu x

I just wanted to check - for an AAA offer we don't need to get A grades in all our

that is correct, you just need AAA overall
Original post by zigzog7

Original post by zigzog7

Thanks for getting back so quickly haha :biggrin: x
Original post by zigzog7

Bit off topic - but how come have you got a blue gem instead of a red/green one :smile:
Original post by Salliana23
Bit off topic - but how come have you got a blue gem instead of a red/green one :smile:

It means I have 0 rating lol my good and bad cancel out
Original post by zigzog7
It means I have 0 rating lol my good and bad cancel out

Ah ok I'm sure it won't stay that way for long :smile:
Original post by Salliana23
Ah ok I'm sure it won't stay that way for long :smile:

It keeps flicking up and down as I argue with people :smile:
Woo 200th post :biggrin: sorry, no other reason than that.

While I'm here I might as well ask again if anyone is going to Wadham this year?

Hey, i'm going to St. Hilda's too! :biggrin:
Original post by Sempiternitas
I am terrified. I was in my History exam today and told myself, "You'd better write a good conclusion or you're not getting into Oxford." I don't know how I'm going to face results day.

Ha, during my whole history section B today (Edexcel) I was thinking that. I never know what to think about how well I've done. Today I got home and started looking at mark schemes. Bad idea, because I ended up retrospectively giving myself really low marks for one section which didn't go brilliantly...but then it's easy to be too hard on yourself, and get yourself into a stress even though your answers might have been fine in the end!

@ ZigZog7, 3 A's but A's stipulated in History and German because that's the course I got an offer for :smile:
Original post by Waldhexe
Ha, during my whole history section B today (Edexcel) I was thinking that. I never know what to think about how well I've done. Today I got home and started looking at mark schemes. Bad idea, because I ended up retrospectively giving myself really low marks for one section which didn't go brilliantly...but then it's easy to be too hard on yourself, and get yourself into a stress even though your answers might have been fine in the end!

@ ZigZog7, 3 A's but A's stipulated in History and German because that's the course I got an offer for :smile:

Kaiser to Fuhrer? How did you think it went?
Reply 1571

Original post by Comet Andromeda
Hey, i'm going to St. Hilda's too! :biggrin:

Heeey and me tooo (unless I screwed up the history paper yesterday, which is possible)
Original post by jenny18
Hiya! Wow, that's brilliantly exciting. Which college are you at? I'm Lincoln to read English and I've heard nothing. Could you possibly tell me what sort of things are on it? I know that all colleges do things slightly differently, but they have to be a little similar don't they? :smile:

Good luck with the cold war by the way as well. Is your exam on friday? I have a 15the century Spain exam then.:confused:

Hope to see you at Oxford!

I'm Hertford :smile: I had a list of Victorian literature and then I needed to read the translations of Old English texts, as Hertford picks that rather than Middle English. And also an Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory, which is for the initial stuff I think.

Thanks :smile: the exam was Friday. I had a moment of clarity in it and just thought "I have to do well and get to Oxford!".
Original post by BeritV
Heeey and me tooo (unless I screwed up the history paper yesterday, which is possible)

Hey! What are you planning on studying? Don't worry, I'm sure you haven't :smile:
Have you heard from the college recently?
Reply 1574
Hey! What are you planning on studying? Don't worry, I'm sure you haven't :smile:
Have you heard from the college recently?

Hopefully PPE, yourself?

Well last time I heard was ages ago when they sent me a reading list, but that was in April I think. You?
Original post by Fallen
Hey, I am doing CS next year at Oxford as well! (Assuming the get the grades).

I looked at their reading list a few days ago and bought "Discrete Mathematics for Computing". I wanted a different one, but it was £65 used, so I bought this one because it was £3 + P&P used. I figured even if it was a massive waste I could live with the loss of £5.

I received it yesterday, and it is pretty good! It doesn't exactly go into much depth (although I haven't read the vast majority of it, so perhaps that will change), but it gives a good cursory look around some of the major maths topics.

Yeah, well that's a good bargain :smile: did you find it on amazon? From the looks of it, we'd be fine with any of the 3 books on discrete mathematics from the reading list, it doesn't seem like the one covers more areas than the other..

Original post by Fallen
I am not too concerned, I have managed just fine for the last 5 languages, I just don't particularly want to leave anything to chance.

Thanks for the advice, I will buy it when the time comes. I should probably be revising for my exams at the moment, so buying it now would definitely be a mistake.

5 languages? well I'm sure you'll be just fine then :wink: but I get it, since I've got 4 months off (starting now :tongue: sorry, had to brag :wink:), I'd better try to be the best prepared as possible, cause the first weeks are said to be quite intense..
anyways, good luck with your exams!

Original post by gavinlowe
Tutors tend to send out reading lists to arrive when you finish A Levels -- at least that's what I do. I'd certainly recommend concentrating on A Levels for the time being.

In addition to the books at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Background_reading, I'd recommend the bridging notes on Induction and Recursion available from http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/single-a-level. A lot of Computer Science is about recursion; and induction is the mathematical tool for reasoning about recursion.

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a look then.
I'm only asking because I sat my last exam on Wednesday (I'm an EU applicant) and don't have much to do at the moment :wink:
Original post by BeritV
Hopefully PPE, yourself?

Well last time I heard was ages ago when they sent me a reading list, but that was in April I think. You?

Biological sciences if I make my offer, wow PPE!

Yes they also sent me a reading list, are you planning on buying all of your books now? I haven't even started on mine just waiting for exams to finish! Did you go to the post offer open day in February I think?
Reply 1577
Original post by shinobi93

Original post by shinobi93
I'm Hertford :smile: I had a list of Victorian literature and then I needed to read the translations of Old English texts, as Hertford picks that rather than Middle English. And also an Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory, which is for the initial stuff I think.

Thanks :smile: the exam was Friday. I had a moment of clarity in it and just thought "I have to do well and get to Oxford!".

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'm interested in the old English side of things too, but I'm not sure which one Lincoln focuses on. I'm reading (ahem, revising and procrastinating with) a brilliant book at the moment by Peter Ackroyd, called 'Albion'. I recommend it. It appears to take you through the basic progression of English lit but also English culture in general, so it's fab.

Hope to see you at Oxford!
Reply 1578
Biological sciences if I make my offer, wow PPE!

Yes they also sent me a reading list, are you planning on buying all of your books now? I haven't even started on mine just waiting for exams to finish! Did you go to the post offer open day in February I think?

No I didn't go:frown:

Well I don't really know what to do with the books yet, I'm gonna buy as many as I can for my kindle so that I don't have to carry a lot of heavy stuff on me. The rest I simply don't know yet :frown:
Reply 1579
Original post by lalaberlin
Yeah, well that's a good bargain :smile: did you find it on amazon? From the looks of it, we'd be fine with any of the 3 books on discrete mathematics from the reading list, it doesn't seem like the one covers more areas than the other..

5 languages? well I'm sure you'll be just fine then :wink: but I get it, since I've got 4 months off (starting now :tongue: sorry, had to brag :wink:), I'd better try to be the best prepared as possible, cause the first weeks are said to be quite intense..
anyways, good luck with your exams.

Yep, just grabbed it off amazon.

4 months off... I'm not jealous! I'm not! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending