The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
would someone please be able to look over this synoptic essay i did and maybe give me a rough mark out of 25? i dont have anyone to mark them as im on study leave and cant get into school to hand them into teachers so i would really appreciate anyones help :colondollar:
its a really rubbish one thats barely synoptic and took about 45mins including the plan

Receptors and their role in coordination

Spoiler

i had alot more stuff in my plan such as control of body temperature etc but i ran out of time lol
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Just did the specimen paper,some of the questions are so badly worded. I hope that is because its a specimen and not a real paper.

Yeah that paper is terrible. I mean the other papers are terrible too but the sample one is especially terrible.
can someone help me out on question 10b specimen paper part b (iii) it says describe the effect of blue light on the growth of seedlings p and q is it something to do with IAA only responding to normal light??? I don't undestand the Mark scheme :/

What does the mark scheme say?
Reply 483
Original post by Destroyviruses
unit 1= 100
unit 2= 140
unit4=100
unit 5=140

the isas are 60 each methinks!

aww genius stuff!! Thank you! x
Original post by tehsponge
What does the mark scheme say?

the Mark scheme says for 3 marks you must mention inhibits growth of both in sucrose solution, stimulates growth of both in sucrose and IAA solution. greater effect in P. seedling p is with both root and shoot tipscut off, seedling q is just with roots cut.
Reply 485
Can someone explain the translation stuff in polypeptide synthesis... im really confused :/

the Mark scheme says for 3 marks you must mention inhibits growth of both in sucrose solution, stimulates growth of both in sucrose and IAA solution. greater effect in P. seedling p is with both root and shoot tipscut off, seedling q is just with roots cut.

Hmm I need to see the whole question. I'll have a look at the sample paper and get back to you.
Original post by .Hayley.
Can someone explain the translation stuff in polypeptide synthesis... im really confused :/

Any specific parts, or just the whole thing?
Original post by .Hayley.

okie dokie, translation occurs in tge cytoplasm of the cell. it requires ribosomes and the mRNA created in transcription from the nucleus. 1) ribosomes attach to the first set of codons on the mRNA ( codons are the bases of the mRNA). 2) this provides the template for anticodons ( bases on tRNA) to attach to the codons of the mRNA on the ribosomes. 3) ribosomes move up the mRNA strand and attach tRNA as explained before. 4) tRNA has an amino acid molecule at the end of it clover shaped body. 5) when two or more tRNA molecules are next to each other a peptide bond can be formed by condensation reaction using ATP. 4) this continues until it reaches a group of 3 bases on the codon that are called a stop codon this stops the process of translation and polypeptide is finished. hope I've said most of the important points but youshould have a look attempt power point presentation uploaded either on this page or 1/2 back it has some descent points on it :smile:
Hmm I need to see the whole question. I'll have a look at the sample paper and get back to you.

Okay, its a describe question, so all you have to do is describe what the table shows you. The table shows that for the ones grown in just 1% sucrose solution there is a decrease in mean length (so a decrease in growth) when blue light is used as opposed to no light.

But when they're grown in 1% sucrose solution AND with IAA, there is an increase in growth when blue light is used as opposed to no light.

I'm unsure about the last mark. It says the effect of the blue light is greater on P, which you can see happens when IAA is used, but Q has a larger decrease in growth in the 1% sucrose solution.
Reply 491
Original post by Vidja
This threw me off a bit as well. Basically, what I think it means is that the plasmid you're using for the vector contains the GFP flourescent protein gene. You insert the desired gene into the centre of the GFP gene, so that the GFP gene is non-functional.

Now, in some cases, the vector closes up without incorporating the DNA fragment. If this happens, the GFP gene will be working fine, since the desired gene has not been accepted into it. These bacteria will glow. You do not want these bacteria.

The bacteria whose plasmids have incorporated the desired gene will not have a functioning GFP gene, since the desired gene is in the centre of the GFP gene. In these bacteria, the flourescent protein is not produced, and so these bacteria do not glow.

I think what's confusing about this is that you aren't testing for the bacteria that have successfly taken up the vector That was achieved by growing them on an antibiotic medium. What you are testing for, is those that have taken up faulty vectors that do not contain your gene.

Yeh, I think this is probably it. I'm not too worried cos they would have gone into more detail (or written something that actually makes sense) If it were a key bit or the syllabus.

Just have to do my synoptic revision now grrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:
what are the things that are not likely to come up on the synoptic essay (because they've come up already)? this is so stressful, i don't know whether to just skim all synoptic stuff and just mainly revise biol5 or go into detail on all the synoptic stuff :frown:
Okay, its a describe question, so all you have to do is describe what the table shows you. The table shows that for the ones grown in just 1% sucrose solution there is a decrease in mean length (so a decrease in growth) when blue light is used as opposed to no light.

But when they're grown in 1% sucrose solution AND with IAA, there is an increase in growth when blue light is used as opposed to no light.

I'm unsure about the last mark. It says the effect of the blue light is greater on P, which you can see happens when IAA is used, but Q has a larger decrease in growth in the 1% sucrose solution.

hmmm yeah i should have read the question, I was doing this at 1am so i sort of skimmed the table :P They always have to add a point on the mark scheme were they know no one wil get :angry:
Reply 494
okie dokie, translation occurs in tge cytoplasm of the cell. it requires ribosomes and the mRNA created in transcription from the nucleus. 1) ribosomes attach to the first set of codons on the mRNA ( codons are the bases of the mRNA). 2) this provides the template for anticodons ( bases on tRNA) to attach to the codons of the mRNA on the ribosomes. 3) ribosomes move up the mRNA strand and attach tRNA as explained before. 4) tRNA has an amino acid molecule at the end of it clover shaped body. 5) when two or more tRNA molecules are next to each other a peptide bond can be formed by condensation reaction using ATP. 4) this continues until it reaches a group of 3 bases on the codon that are called a stop codon this stops the process of translation and polypeptide is finished. hope I've said most of the important points but youshould have a look attempt power point presentation uploaded either on this page or 1/2 back it has some descent points on it :smile:

Thank you.. ill check the powerpoint out too :smile: xx
hmmm yeah i should have read the question, I was doing this at 1am so i sort of skimmed the table :P They always have to add a point on the mark scheme were they know no one wil get :angry:

Well, for most of the mark schemes there is a lot of discussion which goes on between the head examiners, and they determine whether or not an answer should be added to the mark scheme. Since this is a specimen paper, I'm sure there will be flaws in the mark scheme. I think there should be another mark for saying that Q increases in one, and P in the other.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about the specimen paper.
Menstrual cycle isn't great!

Also struggle with the DNA technology part with it being the largest section of Unit 5.
And as far as the essay is concerned... :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Original post by vickidougal
what are the things that are not likely to come up on the synoptic essay (because they've come up already)? this is so stressful, i don't know whether to just skim all synoptic stuff and just mainly revise biol5 or go into detail on all the synoptic stuff :frown:

use my mindmap :biggrin:
Hey,
Our teacher marks our essays qualitatively not quantitatively, so I'm not sure if what I'm writing is good enough.

Please can someone post up an essay scoring a high mark?
Reply 499
God dammit the menstrual cycle is such a giant pain, apart from that everything else in this unit seems reasonably straightforward except for the sheer volume of information needed to be learned for DNA technology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending