The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sillysal
thankyou for clearing that up for me!

no problem! but im not actually sure what automated sequencing is so i would check it up with someone else too. it doesnt come up in my book. good luck!
Original post by heartskippedabeat
:eek:

Sleeping alot less...even slept with my Biology books last night:rolleyes: and then there's the Tuesday off..followed by Chem5 and C3 both in the afternoon... Bio5 at least is'nt so past paper orientated...much more textbook knowledge...Maths exams have all been very different this summer...wonder if the trend will be so with Bio5
Original post by intellectual1
Sleeping alot less...even slept with my Biology books last night:rolleyes: and then there's the Tuesday off..followed by Chem5 and C3 both in the afternoon... Bio5 at least is'nt so past paper orientated...much more textbook knowledge...Maths exams have all been very different this summer...wonder if the trend will be so with Bio5

Haha, yeah I think I'm going to revise all night tonight and not go to sleep at all :redface:
Ahh tough week :/ I wish exams were more spaced out. I've got S2 and English lit on thursday but I've hardly done any revision for them because I've been focusing on this so much :frown:
I hope it's an easy paper :tongue:
Reply 1443
Here's a good video for the sliding filament model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFmbrRJq4w&feature=related
Original post by gkaur123
no problem! but im not actually sure what automated sequencing is so i would check it up with someone else too. it doesnt come up in my book. good luck!

yeh it's really confusing! where does PCR come into the process of genome sequencing? im confused with the order and what to include if asked 'how to sequence a genome' ahhhhh
good luck to you too!
Reply 1445
Original post by sillysal
yeh it's really confusing! where does PCR come into the process of genome sequencing? im confused with the order and what to include if asked 'how to sequence a genome' ahhhhh
good luck to you too!

Don't worry about it too much, it's only a specification point. I mean they wont say "Outline how to sequence a genome" [8 marks]
They'll say "Outline how to sequence a genome with reference to..." things such as BACs or electrophoresis or automated DNA sequencing. They'll give us a clue what to write :smile:
Original post by lmfw
Don't worry about it too much, it's only a specification point. I mean they wont say "Outline how to sequence a genome" [8 marks]
They'll say "Outline how to sequence a genome with reference to..." things such as BACs or electrophoresis or automated DNA sequencing. They'll give us a clue what to write :smile:

really! ok phew! well, this is ocr, you know what they're like :P
I don't know if this will help anyone but it's one of those topics I find really hard to remember all of the stupid details. I have a little neumonic for the Galapagos Island. FAT PIE.

Fishing - Fish were fished to near extinction for food or caught accidentally in nets.
Animals - Non native animals were introduced and competed with native animals. Pigs destroyed local animals eggs/Goats ate many native plants species.
Tourism - Tourist numbers have increased dramatically. Development has lead to loss of habitat & increased pollution.

Plants - non native plants have been introduced and compete with native species for light etc.
Inhabitants - The number of people living on the islands has increased as there are more job opportunities due to tourism. More pollution.
Eating - Animals, such as Giant Tortoises, were killed to be eaten. Became extinct/endangered.
Reply 1448
Does anyone know what raw Mark Roughly relates to 100% UMS?
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Haha, yeah I think I'm going to revise all night tonight and not go to sleep at all :redface:
Ahh tough week :/ I wish exams were more spaced out. I've got S2 and English lit on thursday but I've hardly done any revision for them because I've been focusing on this so much :frown:
I hope it's an easy paper :tongue:

the timetable is much worse in the jan session and more so in jun nxt yr...at least there's been a 2 week break for math chem bio fmath peeps :P tough week indeed...and tough exams as well...the examiners have become slightly more inventive this yr it seems and hence much greater emphasis on understanding...OCR S2 is this late woah...Edexcel S2 was one the toughest papers set...Bio5 tends to have low grade boundaries...but even so... gaining 60 marks+ is not easy at all...I intend to ensure I know the textbook inside out along with all the points mentioned on the spec...good thing it is in the afternoon as wll :smile:
Reply 1450
Original post by fortunecookie
I don't know if this will help anyone but it's one of those topics I find really hard to remember all of the stupid details. I have a little neumonic for the Galapagos Island. FAT PIE.

Fishing - Fish were fished to near extinction for food or caught accidentally in nets.
Animals - Non native animals were introduced and competed with native animals. Pigs destroyed local animals eggs/Goats ate many native plants species.
Tourism - Tourist numbers have increased dramatically. Development has lead to loss of habitat & increased pollution.

Plants - non native plants have been introduced and compete with native species for light etc.
Inhabitants - The number of people living on the islands has increased as there are more job opportunities due to tourism. More pollution.
Eating - Animals, such as Giant Tortoises, were killed to be eaten. Became extinct/endangered.

Awesome! Thanks
Reply 1451
Original post by airdoc
Does anyone know what raw Mark Roughly relates to 100% UMS?

Depends how easy the paper is to be frank. I reckon 96 out of a hundred though
Original post by fortunecookie

great help, thankyou!
Reply 1453
Original post by lmfw
If 65 marks is an A maybe something like 87 marks?

Yeah that sounds about right
Original post by lmfw
If 65 marks is an A maybe something like 87 marks?

So to get all 150 ums points, you have to get 87/100?

SO confused now because our school forced us to do this exam in Jan without teaching us much and most people got a C which was 100/150 ums points. Is that roughly correct? :s-smilie:
Reply 1455
Tbh i think the jan 11 paper was better than the june!! I did much better in that! Though i hated the question on PCR i got 1/9 for that essay :P haha

Can someone summarise DRD4 stuff coz im not actually sure which parts we are meant to know?
Also are people doing the stretch n challenge stuff??
Reply 1456
I think this paper is going to be mostly animal + plant responses?
Do we need to know all about the experimental evidence of auxins and gibberellins in apical dominance and stem growth? Or just a general idea of what apical dominance is?
Original post by merrmerr
Tbh i think the jan 11 paper was better than the june!! I did much better in that! Though i hated the question on PCR i got 1/9 for that essay :P haha

Can someone summarise DRD4 stuff coz im not actually sure which parts we are meant to know?

Stretch and challenge is really stuff you don't need to know unless you want to further your knowledge + understanding, but I've never looked at it before :smile:

And for DRD4 just know how it can affect behaviour + how mutations can cause behavioural disorders etc :smile:
Original post by merrmerr

Yep stretch and challenge is much better than the spread questions. They're so rubbish and vague. They're also closer to exam questions in style.

Im currently writing out the spec and doing posters :tongue:

and some random exam technique!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending