The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JChoudhry
Night guys! :yawn:

Goodnight
Original post by Cleoleo
Which unis are you thinking about ?

I'm not sure about which uni yet however I think its likely to be leeds or imperial.
Reply 3702
it's coming round too soon!

and i've got like, too little work experience, i only realised the beginning of this year how important it was, and after emailing like, 5 different places couldnt get anything so sort of put it off, now, i've got a weeks shadowing late july, and a weekly position at a resedential home,

(ive also worked at a soup kitchen & been at my local supermarket for nearly a year..)

problem is that im in kenya for three weeks this summer, which leaves me about two and a bit months to cram in as much as i can! and thats around school! IM STUCK WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO
What do you think are the chances of getting into medicine if your AS grades are not excellent (ie. not straight a's) but you have straight a*'s at GCSE?
Original post by xoxfazjazxox
What do you think are the chances of getting into medicine if your AS grades are not excellent (ie. not straight a's) but you have straight a*'s at GCSE?

Depends on individual medical schools.

Birmingham love A*s at GCSE more than A level grades so yes for them :smile:
I'm predicted 6A* 4A and a B at gcse, is this too low for medicine? I know alevels count but a rough idea?
Reply 3706
Original post by Lily_Keke
I'm predicted 6A* 4A and a B at gcse, is this too low for medicine? I know alevels count but a rough idea?

Only too low for Birmingham and it'll maybe put you at a disadvantage for Oxford and Queen's. Fine for everywhere else if you get good AS/UKCAT/BMAT etc.
Thank you very much :smile: this is reassuring as I thought I had no chance. Better really focus now :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
hahaha ladybug lol I always mess up with autocorrect :tongue: Damnnn thats quite a good ukcat :smile: I got like 632.5 but i did revision on and off for two weeks and got stressed out so couldn't do it, so gave up... sooo not doing that this year. Gonna get the 600Q book thing :smile:

That's the one I used it's definately probably the best one
Thank you very much :smile: this is reassuring as I thought I had no chance. Better really focus now :smile:

What was your B in? If it was in maths/english you may be put at a little bit more of a disadvantage.
Original post by l.a.s
it's coming round too soon!

and i've got like, too little work experience, i only realised the beginning of this year how important it was, and after emailing like, 5 different places couldnt get anything so sort of put it off, now, i've got a weeks shadowing late july, and a weekly position at a resedential home,

(ive also worked at a soup kitchen & been at my local supermarket for nearly a year..)

problem is that im in kenya for three weeks this summer, which leaves me about two and a bit months to cram in as much as i can! and thats around school! IM STUCK WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO

How did you get the weekly position at a residential home?
If I were you I would put going Kenya off to a later date and concentrate on getting into medicine then go on holiday the following year.
My B is in French!
No matter how hard I try, I can never get higher :/!
My B is in French!
No matter how hard I try, I can never get higher :/!

I got a B in German it was mainly because my teacher put me in for foundation writing and listening without telling me. Which meant I could get a maximum of B. She never even told me she was putting me in for foundation and I only found out when I got my exam timetable which by then was too late to change.
oh that sucks :/
are you doing alevels now?
if so what did you choose and what universities have you applied for?
all I can see myself doing is medicine, I know I really have to step up my game though to be in with a chance.
Reply 3714
Original post by Limitless
How did you get the weekly position at a residential home?
If I were you I would put going Kenya off to a later date and concentrate on getting into medicine then go on holiday the following year.

I have a friend who's parents own one; his sisters also a doctor and his parents appreciate how difficult it can be to get experience and how important it is..

i can't really put off this holiday, it may be the last one i have with my mother (personal stuff), most of its booked already and yer, can't really be changed,

worst comes to worst then i won't get in this year, inwhich case i've got a whole year to focus on anything that i didn't do well enough in this year, voluntary work, extra curricula stuff, other relevent experience, maybe do some extra reading around topics take a couple of degrees at the open university; that sort of thing, oh, and if needsbe improve on any of my subjects.

(im thinking positively) :smile:
oh that sucks :/
are you doing alevels now?
if so what did you choose and what universities have you applied for?
all I can see myself doing is medicine, I know I really have to step up my game though to be in with a chance.

Yeah, I'm doing A-Levels now, I'm doing biology, chemistry and physics and economics at the moment. I'm dropping physics for A2 next year, as I prefer economics rather than physics.
I haven't applied which universities yet and still in the process of choosing which universities to apply for, I've decided liverpool is a definite choice but not sure about the rest.
I'm thinking of either bio-medical science/pharmacy as my back up choices, as you need some back ups, something to fall back on.
Reply 3716
Is GCSE's of 8A* and 2A worth applying to B'ham? I heard there cut off is 8 but people say it's now upped to 8.5A* so is it worth it? Thanks :smile:
Still can't quote limitless!
Oh good choices :smile: I'm doing chemistry, biology, maths and geography next year.
Thank you for your replies, they've been really helpful
Original post by zezimas
guys, for the abstract reasoning...how are you meant to find patterns when it can be so obscure?

also, for the verbal reasoning, do you just skim through the text, look at key words, read the answer, match key words, read relevant portions and answer?

thanks guys

For VR so far I've just had a quick look at the questions, then read the text and take quick note of what bits of information are key, it's working well so far :smile:. AR is just impossible though, every time I think I get the pattern, it turns out there's actually two and I get half of them wrong.
Reply 3719
Original post by JChoudhry

Most likely doing a Media exam :p:

Grr. Have you got any work experience lined up for the hols? I'm shadowing a consultant :awesome: Might try and get some GP w.exp if I can be bothered.

Original post by Quackers93
OCR. Think I need 126/150 to get A overall (480ums) so thats like 84 outta 100. But only need 420 for a B so 66/150 which is like 44 outta 100. its really weird :s-smilie: if only you needed a B in bio for medicine :moon: It is ridicluous! all this extra stress because theres such a huge gap between them!Thanks :biggrin: Good luck with all yours too :smile:

and yeah I am :^_^:

Latest

Trending

Trending