The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fellowgrip
Yeh, it is, cheers for help though :smile:

Anytime! :smile:

FAO: Everyone

When a question asks you to write the rate equation for this reaction: I wrote
Rate =

according to the mark scheme it's K= Rate over reactants?
Original post by haydyb123
Anytime! :smile:

FAO: Everyone

When a question asks you to write the rate equation for this reaction: I wrote
Rate =

according to the mark scheme it's K= Rate over reactants?

Looking at wrong part of the mark scheme, silly me :colondollar:
Looking at wrong part of the mark scheme, silly me :colondollar:

Suggest why the lattice enthalpy of an ionic solid cannot be measured directly?!

Ms:
Impossible/difficult to get gaseous ions (without them reacting)/difficult to vapourise ions and measure the enthalpy change at the same time/

Textbook: Its impossible to form one mole of ionic lattice from gaseous ions

2 different things and not sure I know what they are talking about!

Shed some light :rolleyes:
Original post by arvin_infinity
Suggest why the lattice enthalpy of an ionic solid cannot be measured directly?!

Ms:
Impossible/difficult to get gaseous ions (without them reacting)/difficult to vapourise ions and measure the enthalpy change at the same time/

Textbook: Its impossible to form one mole of ionic lattice from gaseous ions

2 different things and not sure I know what they are talking about!

Shed some light :rolleyes:

Not trying to patronise you by writing out the definition of Lattice Enthalpy but it i'm trying to show you how to see it like I do...

Say for instance NaCl(s)

Na+ (g) + Cl-(s) -> NaCl(s)

Trying to get the exact volumes of these two gaseous ions to form one mole of NaCl is near enough impossible to do, add to the fact that Na+ and Cl- will be extremely reactive with anything else, and it makes it virtually impossible to directly measure lattice enthalpy.

Does that sort of help?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 744

No I think it's all legacy! :smile:

Thanks...do you know if MgCO3 is a gaint ionic lattice?
Original post by M_I
Thanks...do you know if MgCO3 is a gaint ionic lattice?

I think I have seen it referred to as one!
Not trying to patronise you by writing out the definition of Lattice Enthalpy but it i'm trying to show you how to see it like I do...

Say for instance NaCl(s)

Na+ (g) + Cl-(s) -> NaCl(s)

Trying to get the exact volumes of these two gaseous ions to form one mole of NaCl is near enough impossible to do, add to the fact that Na+ and Cl- will be extremely reactive with anything else, and it makes it virtually impossible to directly measure lattice enthalpy.

Does that sort of help?

Stop patronising meee!:P am the GOD of chemistry
Perhaps u meant cl(g)+..
So ur saying gaseous ions are too reactive and might react with something else when we measuring enthalpy change
Makes more sense now :rolleyes:
But if you had looked at the other answer is totally different to this. That one is talking

about vaporising ions which is more of a problem in measuring atomisation enthalpy
Original post by arvin_infinity
Stop patronising meee!:P am the GOD of chemistry
Perhaps u meant cl(g)+..
So ur saying gaseous ions are too reactive and might react with something else when we measuring enthalpy change
Makes more sense now :rolleyes:
But if you had looked at the other answer is totally different to this. That one is talking

about vaporising ions which is more of a problem in measuring atomisation enthalpy

Haha!
Hmm, not to try and shun your questions, but I'm not sure if the spec contains; specifics of why you can't measure all of the enthalpies directly. Therefore I think it will be unlikely that it will be examined... Thank the real gods of Chemistry :wink:
Original post by Limesasquatch
TBH, this unit is a piece of p*ss. Yet i have been unable to score well in any past paper!!

It is very easy, the thing is you don't have to do a lot to go wrong. what kind of marks are you getting?
why is the h-o-h bond angle in the water ligand 107 rather than 104.5?
in [cu(h20)6]2+
F325 you can just.... :hand:

Im going back to F324 revision, plan on squeezing out marks from that :ahee:
also what do we need to know on neutralisation curves?
Original post by entertheOJI
It is very easy, the thing is you don't have to do a lot to go wrong. what kind of marks are you getting?

63/100 in the first one, and 54/100 in the second one!
I'm supposed to be getting an A* lolz
Original post by wilsea05

Original post by wilsea05
FeO4 2- + H+ -------> O2 + H20 + Fe 3+
Fe6+ Fe3+ - reduced by 3, so you want an even number really as O2- -> O and you can't have 1.5O2- lol
so if you try
2Fe6+ -> 2Fe3+ overall reduction of 6
you have 8 O2- ions now, but you only want 3 of them to be oxidized to O2
so that means you'll have 1.5 O2, and 5H2O
you don't really want halves though, so double it again to...
4Fe6+ ->4Fe3+ overall reduction of 12
16O2-, so you want 6 O2- to be reduced, giving you 3O2 molecules
this leaves you with 10 O2-, which stay as O2-
10 O2- means you must have 10H2O, so to balance that you need 20H+

giving overall equation 4FeO42- + 20H+ -> 4Fe3+ + 10 H2O + 3O2

probably would've taken me a LOT longer if you didn't post the answer :smile: haha

Hey, Thanks for this tbh i dont understand the first step..Why did you put 2 in front of the fe04? you could have put 2 in front of the fe3+, to balance the charges on the fe?
:frown: OMG I'm so dumb
Original post by KateSW

Original post by KateSW
Okay, I didn't actually try to do it before, and you're right it's really hard!
Obviously I can see that the answer is balanced, but i have no idea how you'd go about doing that! If your teacher can't do it, i've got no chance i'm afraid! Sorry I wasn't more help.

ohh no worries, thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by volvicstar
why is the h-o-h bond angle in the water ligand 107 rather than 104.5?

In water, there is 2 bondings pairs and 2 lone pairs (on the oxygen) this increases repulsion between electrons,
Whereas in the ligand there, is 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, which minimizes the repulsion between electrons, hence why bond angle is 2.5 degrees more!
In the specimen paper Q 4B)

They have started a born-haber cycle, they have done the enthalpy change of atomisation of Ca
Ca(s)+0.5O2(g) -------> Ca(g)+0.5O2(g)

Then after this step they have done the enthalpy change of atomisation of O2 but when they have done this step they show Ca as in the solid state again on the line above. Is this meant to be in the gaseous state or is my next step meant to be the enthaply of atomisation of Ca again?
Reply 758
In water, there is 2 bondings pairs and 2 lone pairs (on the oxygen) this increases repulsion between electrons,
Whereas in the ligand there, is 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, which minimizes the repulsion between electrons, hence why bond angle is 2.5 degrees more!

Hey i was wondering if you could explain something to me please? :smile:

If you've done the june 2010 paper, question 3d (the one on acid base pairs)

The equation is: HNO3 + CH3CH2COOH -----> ---- ------

I wrote: HNO3 + CH3CH2COOH ----> CH3CH2COO- + H2NO3

This was wrong and it was CH3CH2COOH2 + HNO3-

How do i know this? They both acids so how do i know which proton is going where?

Would you be able to explain how you would tackle question 7d in that same paper? I did it all the way till finding the concentration of undiluted hydrogen peroxide? I could do the oxygen part. Just that undiluted part please

Thank you, really appreciate this :smile:
Reply 759
Hi all, i'm finding the past exam questions too easy, does anyone here have a list of stretch and challenge questions that i'll struggle to do? thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending