The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by antipesto93
they are all here
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BzFIHfty_yz7YmQ3MTBlYjItOWY5MS00YjliLWJmNTctOTUxMjQ4YmJlOGRk&hl=en_US

Sorry, The spelling in these are horrible, i never checked over them,
when you click the link you can see the sleep essays
you can then also choose to go in the aggression or sleep folder

i got 20/25 or higher for:
Formation of relationsips
maintaince of relationships
nature of sleep

.... and i got no idea what grade the rest are

ahh your actually amazing! Thank you so much, i really appreciate it :smile: And good luck with all your revision and the exam too!
Thanks, If you dont get any of the essays, just ignore it, our teacher used 3 different textbooks to teach us! so you might not have come across something or would have added something
- its too late to start learning new stuff now IMO
Yeah, i have one for every single possible question for aggression relationsips and sleep, let me know if you need any more

aw, thank you! well i'm having trouble writing about institutional aggression and the evolutionary approach to aggression, so could you post those too if you don't mind? :smile:
Reply 603
Original post by fun_fun
it is long. your lucky you didnt do it
..and i'm not doing so well..
i just properly started revising today and the exam is in 5 days, i think..:s-smilie:
oh god im useless, i think i have a problem where i can't revise. i need to see someone.

If you need any help with Aggression I'm always willing to try. Plus I was given some powerpoints and notes emailed by my teacher so I could always give them to you if you're struggling. Hopefully it'll all click into place though, still a week left! :tongue:
Im going to start revising this tomorrow. anyone doing relationships, eating and sleeping behaviour?
Reply 605
Original post by Mehhhx

Original post by Mehhhx
If you need any help with Aggression I'm always willing to try. Plus I was given some powerpoints and notes emailed by my teacher so I could always give them to you if you're struggling. Hopefully it'll all click into place though, still a week left! :tongue:

aww, would you? thanks so much it would be so helpful.
Reply 606
I have done an essay for sexual selection, anybody want me to type it up and share? And will you guys please give me feedback? :smile:
Original post by mooniibuggy
aw, thank you! well i'm having trouble writing about institutional aggression and the evolutionary approach to aggression, so could you post those too if you don't mind? :smile:

look at my link a few posts back
Original post by cookiee
I have done an essay for sexual selection, anybody want me to type it up and share? And will you guys please give me feedback? :smile:

Post it up :biggrin:
Reply 609
Post it up :biggrin:

Cool, will get on it now! :smile:
Reply 610
Here is an essay I've done on sexual selection guys, hope it helps! Would really appreciate any feedback too! I think it's a little too long :\ what could I crop out that's not really needed? And is my AO1/AO2 balance okay? I feel I've done a little too much on AO1?

Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour (9+16 marks)

Sexual selection is where humans (and animals) compete with each other in order to mate with a partner who poses the most adaptive traits in order to pass on their genes, producing healthy offspring. Darwin (1874) came up with two sexual selection processes. Intrasexual selection is where members of one sex (usually males) compete with each other for access to members of the opposite sex. The victors are able to mate and so pass on their genes, whereas the losers do not. Whatever traits lead to success in these same-sex contests will be passed on to the next generation. Intersexual selection involves the preference of one sex for members of the opposite sex who possess certain qualities. These preferences are linked to traits that could be passed on to offspring (i.e. selection for ‘good genes’), as well as the mate’s ability to give protection and support to offspring (i.e. selection for ‘good parents’). Humans are perceptually ‘pre-programmed’ to attend to displays of these important indicators, which in turn increase their willingness to mate with the individual who possesses them.
There are considerable sex differences in short-term and long-term mating preferences. According to parental investment theory, men have evolved a greater desire for casual sex, and would ideally seek sex earlier in a relationship. Female behaviour would not be subjected to the same evolutionary pressures. In contrast to women, men appear to lower their standards in the context of short-term mating oppurtunities (Buss and Schmitt 1993) and then show a marked decrease in attraction following sex. A study by Clarke and Hatfield (1989) supports sex differences in short-term mating strategies. Men and women experimenters approached total strangers on a college campus and said, ‘Hi, I’ve noticed you around college and I find you very attractive’. They then asked them one of three questions, 1) Would you go on a date with me, 2)Would you go back to my apartment with me? 3) Would you have sex with me? Of the females approaches, 50% agreed to the date, 6% agreed to going back to his apartment and 0% agreed to have sex. Of the males, 50% said yes to the date, 69% to go back to her apartment and 75% agreed to sex. These sex differences provide compelling evidence that men have evolved psychological mechanisms to ensure success in long-term mating.
In long-term mating, both sexes typically invest heavily in offspring. As a consequence, sexual slection should favour high levels of choosiness in both sexes. Poor choice would result in a waste of valuable resources. Because women have an obligatory biological investment in their children, they are predicted to be more particular about their choice of mate. Buss’s research (1989) explored what males and females looked for in a marriage partner. The study involved over 10,000 people from 37 different cultures. They found that women more than men desired mates who were ‘good financial prospects’. This was translated into a desire for men with resources. Men placed more emphasis on physical attractiveness. Research has consistently shown that physical appearance provides clues to a woman’s health and hence her fertility and reproductive value. Men universally wanted mates who were younger than them- an indication that men value increased fertility in potential mates. Both sexes wanted mates who were intelligent (linked to skill at parenting), kind (linked to interest in a long-term relationship and dependable (linked to willingness to help a mate in trouble).
The problem with studies such as Buss’s suffer from a problem of validity; ie. They give us an indication of explored preferences rather than being a reflection of what actually happens in real life. This means that the findings of such studies cannot be used as a template to explain the preferences of all men and women, ie. They cannot be generalised. However, many real-life studies support these mate-choice hypotheses. For example, a study of actual marriages in 29 cultures (Buss, 1989) confirmed that men do choose younger women. In fact, men who divorce and remarry tend to marry women who are increasingly younger than them.
Another issue is gender bias in short-term mating research. Although research consistently reports that men more than women have a desire for a variety of sexual partners and a greater willingess for casual sex, men could never have evolved this desire in the absence of willing females. Despite the fact that short-term mating has a considerable potential loss for the woman, there must be some benefits. Greiling and Buss (2000) suggest that she could profit in a number of ways, including short-term mating as a way of leaving a poor-quality relationship or as a way of producing more genetically diverse offspring. And implication of this sort of gender bias in research is that men are portrayed in a negative light and this could, in effect, change women’s perception of men.
Overall, the evolutionary perspective of sexual selection has done well to explain why humans ‘seek’ the traits they do and why it varies between the sexes. However, it can be accused of sexism as it has ignored homosexual relationships in which it is impossible to pass on genes. Even though those in homosexual relationships are unable to pass on their traits they still show the suggested adaptations, eg. Females are less willing to engage in casual sex (Buss and Schmitt, 1993) and men are looking for young attractive men, ingoring resources. Also, men in homosexual relationships are also more promiscuous. This shows that there must be a biological factor evolved out into humans from our evolutionary past.
Human behaviour is very complex. Sexual selection is highly reductionist as it reduces the complex behaviour to the selection of genes and ignores the range of possible environmental factors such as media and culture values.
Original post by cookiee
Here is an essay I've done on sexual selection guys, hope it helps! Would really appreciate any feedback too! I think it's a little too long :\ what could I crop out that's not really needed? And is my AO1/AO2 balance okay? I feel I've done a little too much on AO1?

Outline and evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour (9+16 marks)

Sexual selection is where humans (and animals) compete with each other in order to mate with a partner who poses the most adaptive traits in order to pass on their genes, producing healthy offspring. Darwin (1874) came up with two sexual selection *snips*.

Thats very good, The ao1 is definatly full marks, The only thing i would criticise is that you could have more methodological evaluation / IDA
You did put reductionist at the end so its OK, But its a bit short, you can say how reductionism has implications for research, or how the evolutionary prospective may no longer be relevant to todays society, or how the evolutionary explanation is gender bias as it says ok OK for men to go round having sex with as many people as possible

here is mine
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v2j7uUX_1gMIAYircslC9MRr9EwTl3tKOSV1OefTUz4/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CMj32fEI

I think yours is better in many ways though :biggrin:
Original post by xChelseyChelsey
I'm going to have notes on:
Perception
Eating
Cognitive

Anyone want me to upload when I've done? Alsooooo, if anyone else has note on these topics they'd like to share that would be great. :wink:

could you possibly put up your eating notes! :smile: thanks!!!!
Original post by cookiee

it is a good essay, but I agree that you have too much A01, good use of studies, however you need to show the examiner instantly that you are trying to use them evaluatively, ie use language this concept is supported by then outline, and make conclusive statements. You need to develop A03, methodological evaluation, (which then transfers over to A02 once you've hit those 4 marks, so always good to use). Try and think of evaluation for every study, EG Clark and Hatfield study could be accused of social desirability ie men say they want to have sex even if they don't due to positive opinion from other males, while females might have said no even if they wanted to due to negative branding that might have occurred. Some studies you can use to talk about attractiveness for example are Singh (found desired waist to hip ratio was 0.7) boasting best fertility health to men, suggesting this love of hourglass figure has evolved due to reproductive behaviour. You can then critique that by saying this isn't a universal preference, EG in camaroon the ideal WTH ratio is 0.8-0.9, suggesting what is deemed attractive is not necessarily due to evolution, but cultural factors, reducing the support that human reproductive behaviour is based on evolution alone. You can then move on the say that obviously there are more factors involved than just the selection of good genes, suggesting that this is a reductionist explanation, ignoring important social and cognitive factors that are likely to highly influence reproductive behaviour.

Examiners say it's best to integrate IDA into evaluation, rather than tag it onto the end so try and practice developing IDA in relation to findings etc. It's a good essay though :smile: you should be pleased.

Hope some of this helps! :smile:
Could anyone post notes on how the cognitive developers (Piaget Vygotsky and Bruner) can be applied to education?
Reply 615
Thats very good, The ao1 is definatly full marks, The only thing i would criticise is that you could have more methodological evaluation / IDA
You did put reductionist at the end so its OK, But its a bit short, you can say how reductionism has implications for research, or how the evolutionary prospective may no longer be relevant to todays society, or how the evolutionary explanation is gender bias as it says ok OK for men to go round having sex with as many people as possible

here is mine
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v2j7uUX_1gMIAYircslC9MRr9EwTl3tKOSV1OefTUz4/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CMj32fEI

I think yours is better in many ways though :biggrin:

Original post by sweet&petitee
it is a good essay, but I agree that you have too much A01, good use of studies, however you need to show the examiner instantly that you are trying to use them evaluatively, ie use language this concept is supported by then outline, and make conclusive statements. You need to develop A03, methodological evaluation, (which then transfers over to A02 once you've hit those 4 marks, so always good to use). Try and think of evaluation for every study, EG Clark and Hatfield study could be accused of social desirability ie men say they want to have sex even if they don't due to positive opinion from other males, while females might have said no even if they wanted to due to negative branding that might have occurred. Some studies you can use to talk about attractiveness for example are Singh (found desired waist to hip ratio was 0.7) boasting best fertility health to men, suggesting this love of hourglass figure has evolved due to reproductive behaviour. You can then critique that by saying this isn't a universal preference, EG in camaroon the ideal WTH ratio is 0.8-0.9, suggesting what is deemed attractive is not necessarily due to evolution, but cultural factors, reducing the support that human reproductive behaviour is based on evolution alone. You can then move on the say that obviously there are more factors involved than just the selection of good genes, suggesting that this is a reductionist explanation, ignoring important social and cognitive factors that are likely to highly influence reproductive behaviour.

Examiners say it's best to integrate IDA into evaluation, rather than tag it onto the end so try and practice developing IDA in relation to findings etc. It's a good essay though :smile: you should be pleased.

Hope some of this helps! :smile:

Thank you so much, that really helped! Will definately try to integrate evaluation as I go along and evaluate all studies. Thanks for the tips :smile:
Original post by xChelseyChelsey
They look amazing thank you! Mine aren't quite complete but I'll try and get them up tomorrow for you! :smile:

Thanks! and thanks lol! :smile:

Yeah, i have one for every single possible question for aggression relationsips and sleep, let me know if you need any more

Can I see your one for institutional aggression, and also evolutionary and group displays? :smile: Thankyou!! :biggrin:
Reply 617
Original post by lolly21
ok. I talked to my teacher today and she said it was very unlikely, near impossible that a 25 marker on the nature of sleep would come up. Although, it is possible that something like that would be combined with lifespan changes, but then again i think that may have come up before.

I know its not good to guess what's coming up, but i think maybe, there'll be a 9 marker on the nature of sleep, or split with another question, no idea what and maybe a 16 marker on ecological or restoration / disruption of bio rhythms.

if disruption of sleep came up would we have to evaluate it as well? and would that just be talking about the research as support that shift work etc really does have consequences?!
Original post by Stephhcharlene
Thanks! and thanks lol! :smile:

Can I see your one for institutional aggression, and also evolutionary and group displays? :smile: Thankyou!! :biggrin:

Look at my link at the top of this page, its got all of my essays :smile:
edit: here
https://docs.google.com/#folders/folder.0.0BzFIHfty_yz7YmQ3MTBlYjItOWY5MS00YjliLWJmNTctOTUxMjQ4YmJlOGRk
Reply 619
Original post by paperclip
It's on the APA website for Psychology 'A' in the specification here. P29 will give you the descriptions along with what's expected between the A/B and E/U grade boundaries.

AO1
Knowledge and
understanding of science
and of how science works
Candidates should be able
to:
recognise, recall and
show understanding of
scientific knowledge
select, organise and
communicate relevant
information in a variety of forms