The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inksplodge
i will be when im sleeping normally :biggrin: lol

Whyyyyy are you not?!
Original post by lisajanexo
Hiii, right I just applied for a customer service assistant job in a store in SW london and have an interview for saturday. well i didn't realise it was bakery. but me and my mum were trying to figure out what exactly the CSA does if they're in bakery. is it like just putting out the bread or something?

If you applied to a local convenience store then the baker isnt always needed to be in the bakery all the time - depending on the store, so you might end up going on the shop floor and helping out with those if they need help, the bakery isnt as complicated than in a main store as most of the stuff is just bake off.
Original post by cherrycola32
a customer service assistant works on tills, a general assistant works in bakery, maybe you applied for the wrong job? Working in the bakery is much better anyway imo!

A list of the stuff that you might have to do: ( it depends on what shifts you are doing, how busy it is etc..)
Packing bread/ rolls, serving the counter, slicing bread, packing bagels, fry, jam and pack doughnuts, helping the confectioners eg pack cookies, lots of sweeping and cleaning, tray up frozen bread for the next day, code check, reductions, foa, disposals, maybe help on the shop floor by putting out bought in bread and cake.

I think thats most things you might have to do. Personally I liked working in the bakery as your working within a small team and you can have a laugh while working which makes it go so much quicker!

That's what I thought when the woman on the phone called me. She said it was in the bakery, was I okay with it and then checked the miles from the store. But I checked the recruitment site again and I have indeed applied for "Convenience Customer Service Assistant", base being bakery. I said yeah, of course, cos I'm not bothered as a friend's told me you can eventually transfer store/departments. So assuming I get through the interview and get the job, pass probatition etc, I'd request to be moved to a store in the N/NW area because it's closer to me. But thanks for giving me a good description.

Original post by marshallj
If you applied to a local convenience store then the baker isnt always needed to be in the bakery all the time - depending on the store, so you might end up going on the shop floor and helping out with those if they need help, the bakery isnt as complicated than in a main store as most of the stuff is just bake off.

I have no idea what I applied to, I'm assuming it's not a local. Google maps just showed me an Allied Carpets lol!
Some customers can be really rude, in the last few weeks three have stood out for me. I actually expected, working in a store near a university and college etc that it'd be students who've had a few drinks that'd be the problem but it's actually the older people.

Firstly one old guy was shouting at me about a sell by date, asking me if it meant he had to eat the whole thing by that night, he didn't listen to me saying the best before date was a day or two later and by the end I just agreed with him as it seemed he wouldn't leave me alone if I wouldn't give him the answer he wanted.

Today I was helping a girl and her mates (who were students and all very polite) find some wine, which I actually know nothing about as it's not my department and I am not a wine drinker so my knowledge on wine isn't brilliant. So then an older woman begins asking me where organic wine is but she was speaking at me when I was talking to the girls and didn't speak very clearly so I just mentioned I was helping them. When I couldn't find the wine for them I said I'd ask someone who did but then the other lady begins saying I can show her where her's is first. Obviously only hearing her say organic as she didn't speak clearly and I was talking to the girls when she asked I just assumed she said bread as I didn't even know organic wine existed. So I showed her then she starts moaning and getting sarcastic saying she wanted wine not bread, I apologised and brought her back to the wine and she begins asking me if I'm at uni, so then I tell her I've graduated and she sarcastically says "wow", then she started saying I didn't know where it was so I said I'd find out for her. Anyway I found the girls' wine and found out the older woman's organic wine isn't stocked but she had already gone off which I thought was rude as I'd told her I'd find out for her and she didn't say it was okay or to leave it, so I did check but when I got back she had just impatiently gone off knowing I was coming back to let her know about her organic wine.

Lastly, an old man who a lot of people working in our store know is rude, from their past experiences with him, followed me around as I was reducing stuff and then told me, didn't ask me, he actually told me, to reduce bread, I told him I'm not allowed to so he said no one would know. I told him it goes through a computer system so it could be seen on there, then he told me to take my glasses off and he'd punch me in the face!

The worst thing is when these things happen I take the stance that I just have to keep being polite to these people but it's ridiculous how they speak to some of the staff. A few of the people there can't believe that I didn't say anything back to the guy who threatened me and I know a few would have actually spoke back at all of those three people. I find it ironic that older people go on about how rude today's youth is but from my experience in helping customers I've had absolutely no problem with any young people, not even teenagers or school kids or little kids who run around and make noise, it's the old people who I find are rude.
Reply 8704
Original post by The Narrator
Some customers can be really rude, in the last few weeks three have stood out for me. I actually expected, working in a store near a university and college etc that it'd be students who've had a few drinks that'd be the problem but it's actually the older people.

Firstly one old guy was shouting at me about a sell by date, asking me if it meant he had to eat the whole thing by that night, he didn't listen to me saying the best before date was a day or two later and by the end I just agreed with him as it seemed he wouldn't leave me alone if I wouldn't give him the answer he wanted.

Today I was helping a girl and her mates (who were students and all very polite) find some wine, which I actually know nothing about as it's not my department and I am not a wine drinker so my knowledge on wine isn't brilliant. So then an older woman begins asking me where organic wine is but she was speaking at me when I was talking to the girls and didn't speak very clearly so I just mentioned I was helping them. When I couldn't find the wine for them I said I'd ask someone who did but then the other lady begins saying I can show her where her's is first. Obviously only hearing her say organic as she didn't speak clearly and I was talking to the girls when she asked I just assumed she said bread as I didn't even know organic wine existed. So I showed her then she starts moaning and getting sarcastic saying she wanted wine not bread, I apologised and brought her back to the wine and she begins asking me if I'm at uni, so then I tell her I've graduated and she sarcastically says "wow", then she started saying I didn't know where it was so I said I'd find out for her. Anyway I found the girls' wine and found out the older woman's organic wine isn't stocked but she had already gone off which I thought was rude as I'd told her I'd find out for her and she didn't say it was okay or to leave it, so I did check but when I got back she had just impatiently gone off knowing I was coming back to let her know about her organic wine.

Lastly, an old man who a lot of people working in our store know is rude, from their past experiences with him, followed me around as I was reducing stuff and then told me, didn't ask me, he actually told me, to reduce bread, I told him I'm not allowed to so he said no one would know. I told him it goes through a computer system so it could be seen on there, then he told me to take my glasses off and he'd punch me in the face!

The worst thing is when these things happen I take the stance that I just have to keep being polite to these people but it's ridiculous how they speak to some of the staff. A few of the people there can't believe that I didn't say anything back to the guy who threatened me and I know a few would have actually spoke back at all of those three people. I find it ironic that older people go on about how rude today's youth is but from my experience in helping customers I've had absolutely no problem with any young people, not even teenagers or school kids or little kids who run around and make noise, it's the old people who I find are rude.

Yep, that is the worst thing, having to be polite. Sometimes i wish i ccould just put my middle finger up at them and walk away.

You shouldn’t have to take anything as rude as that, someone actually threatening you. Don’t be rude to them but stand up for yourself and if anything like that happens again tell the ic manager. Something like that happened to me on my first day, I was in the crisp aisle putting out tickets and this old bitty walked up and asked me were the curry powder was. I had no clue and I tried to explain this to the woman that I had basically only been working there for 30 minutes and only knew where the bread crisps and booze was. I said that I could go get someone that could show her and she then started shouting like a banshee that all employee of Sainsbury’s should know where every item was in the store. She made me feel like a piece of **** luckily the grocery manager was in the next aisle and came to my rescue and actually removed her from the store. She’s allowed back in but every time I see her she won’t walk down the same aisle I’m in and will wait until I’m gone.
I have no idea what I applied to, I'm assuming it's not a local. Google maps just showed me an Allied Carpets lol!

'Convenience' means it's a local :smile:
Reply 8707
wahay i have an interview on the 20th :smile:

Hope i get it this time cos this will be my 4th DVD test and i always fail at it somehow. 4th times the charm maybe!
Reply 8708

Hiii, right I just applied for a customer service assistant job in a store in SW london and have an interview for saturday. well i didn't realise it was bakery. but me and my mum were trying to figure out what exactly the CSA does if they're in bakery. is it like just putting out the bread or something?

Richmond Local, Upper Richmond Road?

If it is, the store is about 1 1/2 years old, and did used to be part of the Allied Carpets next door. Parking is a bitch though. Litterally 2 "official" parking spaces, and you get atleast another 5 additional cars at any one time. There has been times where I have had to abandon hope of getting in there due to the amount of cars :frown:
Reply 8709

We had a customer that used to be extremely rude (On par with your story), but in addition to that, he used to follow young girls around the store with his trousers down and his fleece up, so he was basically exposing his oversized belly and his Y-Fronts. Security and the store manager pulled him to one side and basically said "Sort yourself out or we will ban you from the store", and left it at that.

He came in the next day and did the same thing. He was then subsequently banned from the store.

Two days later when I was working, he came in and started to do the same thing again, security told him to leave and he refused to, and sat on the floor. Eventually we had to call the police on him and they forcefully removed him from the premises.

I agree with what you said about older people being more hassle when dealing with them. In my experience, the majority of younger people know that your probably only there to see yourself through your studies, and actually do try to make your day better.

We are reaching the 3 year anniversary of when a man was killed in our store, so we are expecting journalists to camp outside the store. Not looking forward to being heckled. They have camped outside our store every year since it happened. We have been told to not say anything and direct them to the Sainsbury's spokesperson for any media enquieries.
Problem customers seem to exist in every store. :frown:

We've got a very creepy guy. He always wears the same blue baseball cap and only ever buys booze and cigs. He comes into store 5+ times every day! Often, on my 4 hour shifts, I'd see him in store at least three times. Anyway, he insists on going to young female checkout assistants, even if it means he has to queue for ages behind people with trolleys etc. Then he asks for their phone numbers, for them to go out on dates with him etc. I've always just laughed it off when I've served him but some of the other girls feel very uncomfortable with him. It has got to the point where security follow him around and a supervisor always stands by the assistant he goes to, unless there are only guys serving as he doesn't tend to ask them out. I think he must be a very sad individual. Why would anyone want to go into Sainsbury's that many times, just to try their luck with some girls?!
Original post by Foulish

We are reaching the 3 year anniversary of when a man was killed in our store, so we are expecting journalists to camp outside the store. Not looking forward to being heckled. They have camped outside our store every year since it happened. We have been told to not say anything and direct them to the Sainsbury's spokesperson for any media enquieries.

:eek: Do you work in Merton?
I find it ironic that older people go on about how rude today's youth is but from my experience in helping customers I've had absolutely no problem with any young people, not even teenagers or school kids or little kids who run around and make noise, it's the old people who I find are rude.

I completely agree with this. My store is quite small and most of our customers are older. The abuse some staff get is outrageous. I've never had anything really bad in my 10 months on checkouts. Most of the staff on checkouts are girls and get abuse but I seem to be ok, must be because I'm a guy.

I think you should always be professional at your work but you also need to be firm but fair when dealing with dodgy customers. If you don't say anything or don't stand up for yourself they think that they can talk to not just every Sainsbury's colleague, but every member of staff in retail.
So you're not just standing up for yourself, you're standing up for the shop workers of today. Let's make sure that the shopworkers of tomorrow don't have to put up with some of of the abuse our colleague have to put up with and show that they can't just say what they like to members of staff.
this is why i enjoy working the night shift :smile:

the customers who come in the early morning are usualy business people who pick up what they want.. and leave within 2 minutes.
Original post by Foulish
Richmond Local, Upper Richmond Road?

If it is, the store is about 1 1/2 years old, and did used to be part of the Allied Carpets next door. Parking is a bitch though. Litterally 2 "official" parking spaces, and you get atleast another 5 additional cars at any one time. There has been times where I have had to abandon hope of getting in there due to the amount of cars :frown:

yeah that's that one!! it's a good thing i plan to go by public transport lol! i thought it must have been fairly new, cos google maps still haven't gone round to update roads. it isn't a long walk from putney station, is it?
Reply 8715
hey everyone, ive been working on the checkouts for 8 months. I find it really hard making conversation with customers and i just think the checkouts aren't right for me. Id like to maybe work as an online shopper.

Anyone here gone from checkouts to online?

Who should I talk to about this?
Reply 8716
Original post by Clare7
hey everyone, ive been working on the checkouts for 8 months. I find it really hard making conversation with customers and i just think the checkouts aren't right for me. Id like to maybe work as an online shopper.

Anyone here gone from checkouts to online?

Who should I talk to about this?

Start with the online manager. You won't be able to move over permanently if they don't have any room for you.
i have officially left sainsburys. :biggrin: i did get a bit upset, but mostly cos i was gonna miss my colleagues. they're the best! they were mostly tears of happiness :biggrin:
Original post by inksplodge
i have officially left sainsburys. :biggrin: i did get a bit upset, but mostly cos i was gonna miss my colleagues. they're the best! they were mostly tears of happiness :biggrin:

:woo: :hugs:

A sad day for the Sainsburys thread too :frown:
Original post by morris743
:woo: :hugs:

A sad day for the Sainsburys thread too :frown:

is it? i'll probably still come in here to whinge about it :|

Latest

Trending

Trending