The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4(6BIO4) 13/06/11 - OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I have a feeling succesion and rigor mortis might come out, they havent asked much about SUCCESSION especially
Reply 201
Ugh! I'm worried abt da Synoptic Q!
Shldn't b more than 3 marks!

Celluose hs already come! I hope an easy Q comes lyk the structure Of Starch/smthng :tongue:
can anybody tell me why we cut the same DNA smaple into different sized fragments using restrictions enzymes. Is the reason to compare it with the reference DNA in as many areas as possible ??
Original post by darkiee

Original post by darkiee
Yes, I am doing both. I did Unit4 in jan. and I realised most of my mistake. The Jan paper was a bitch, the question 1b(iii) scared me from the start. I have realised my mistake doe. Just stay calm read the question PROPERLY and you will be fine. I redid the paper calmly and i did pretty well. Just hope Mondays paper is Nice.

Unit 5 I havent read properly AT ALL, am gna do that after my Chem on Wednesday.

Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?

Yep I'm doing both. Cursing my school for not allowing us to do the Unit 4 in Jan. I take it you are as well?

No I have done Unit 5 in Jan, so got that out of the way - but I might retake [school kinda forcing me] it really depends on how I feel before the day of the exam (I am pretty relaxed about it coz i got 104 first time round).

But from what I have seen I find Unit 4 much harder than Unit 5 content wise coz I am a future medic and Unit 5 is all about nervous system, orthopedics so it's quite easy to learn
Original post by Schoolio93
No I have done Unit 5 in Jan, so got that out of the way - but I might retake [school kinda forcing me] it really depends on how I feel before the day of the exam (I am pretty relaxed about it coz i got 104 first time round).

But from what I have seen I find Unit 4 much harder than Unit 5 content wise coz I am a future medic and Unit 5 is all about nervous system, orthopedics so it's quite easy to learn

I find Unit 5 content wise easier too. Much more human body stuff lol none of this plant bull****. Potential future medic here too. :tongue:

Have you got any tips for Unit 5? Cheers :smile:

can anybody tell me why we cut the same DNA smaple into different sized fragments using restrictions enzymes. Is the reason to compare it with the reference DNA in as many areas as possible ??

So you can use them in gel electrophoresis as different sized fragments will move through the gel different amounts. And then you can compare the bands produced. :s-smilie: Shorter segments travel faster and end up closer to +ve electrode than longer fragments.

That's just my guess at that, might be wrong.

I find Unit 5 content wise easier too. Much more human body stuff lol none of this plant bull****. Potential future medic here too. :tongue:

Have you got any tips for Unit 5? Cheers :smile:

So you can use them in gel electrophoresis as different sized fragments will move through the gel different amounts. And then you can compare the bands produced. :s-smilie: Shorter segments travel faster and end up closer to +ve electrode than longer fragments.

That's just my guess at that, might be wrong.

Yeah but what I don't understand is why do you need to cut them several times in different ways. I mean we could use one fragment and compare it to the original DNA so I don't understand the point of doing it more than once. It's probably so that we get a more reliable result?

For Unit 5: Know the content, and do not spent a lot of time on the article. My friend knew the article inside out and got a D coz he didn't spent much time on the content, whereas I spent only one day on the article but three weeks on Unit 5 content.
Reply 206
hi, does anyone have the mark scheme for the sample assesment material paper for this unit? i cant find itt :frown:
thanks
Yeah but what I don't understand is why do you need to cut them several times in different ways. I mean we could use one fragment and compare it to the original DNA so I don't understand the point of doing it more than once. It's probably so that we get a more reliable result?

For Unit 5: Know the content, and do not spent a lot of time on the article. My friend knew the article inside out and got a D coz he didn't spent much time on the content, whereas I spent only one day on the article but three weeks on Unit 5 content.

Well comparing just one fragment would be very unreliable. As many people could have one fragment the same.

Possibly using many restriction enzymes is to get a full DNA profile or as much as possible so as many fragments as possible can be compared. So yeah I think it is to with reliability.

I couldn't find why in any of my 3 books lol
Original post by Samia99
Page 8 of this thread lol :tongue:

thank you
Reply 209
some 1 go over the practicals pleasE!
In the Jan 11 paper, question 1b (i)

it says in the mark scheme:

(product) is converted to {starch / sugar /
eq} ;

would saying ''carbohydrate'' instead of starch/sugar get you the mark?
Reply 211
Original post by darkiee
Is it me, or was the Januray 2011 paper a bitch? I think it was the hardest so far? Am i right?

You're definitely right. In my biology class a huge proportion of the class are straight A students, most of them are going on to do medicine at uni. Not a single person in my class got A's and only around 1 or 2 got B's. The majority of us got D's and below and I know this is the same for my previous sixth form and also my friends at different schools, the paper was awful! looking back through it, there was a lot of data analysis which I personally find very tricky and also a huge amount of the questions were "suggest" ones where you have to use your own knowledge to apply to something you don't know.

to sum up... yes it was a bitch! haha
Reply 212
Is anyone else absolutely ****ting themselves for this exam?!
I've revised everything for topic 5/6, I know the core practicals and I've completed and marked all the past papers available (3 I think) and I still feel like I know nothing and feel hugely unprepared! the January exam has definitely knocked my confidence (I got a D) and just the fact that I know so much is relying on this exam to get into uni :frown: arghhh!! anyone else feeling the same?

also does anyone else hate all the ecology stuff? I find that I only really understand and am interested in the human biology stuff like the immune system, but all the crap about succession and global warming is just soooo boring!

what is everyone doing in terms of last minute revision?
Reply 213
Umm ny1n got any idea on how is 'Coral reef' data obtaind?

Coz in the notes i have it says Dendrochronolgy is nt reliable as there r othr factors that affect the size of tree rings lyk temp, C02 concentrations etc. 'Coral reef data complements Dendrochronology'

Coral reef? :/ Summarize plz!
Reply 214
YOu know when they ask us about immune system..what do we put first..? B cells or T cells...?
Reply 215
Original post by inittowinitgetit?
in the jan 11 paper, question 1b (i)

it says in the mark scheme:

(product) is converted to {starch / sugar /
eq} ;

would saying ''carbohydrate'' instead of starch/sugar get you the mark?

no carbohydrate is the product
Reply 216
Original post by LibbyU
You're definitely right. In my biology class a huge proportion of the class are straight A students, most of them are going on to do medicine at uni. Not a single person in my class got A's and only around 1 or 2 got B's. The majority of us got D's and below and I know this is the same for my previous sixth form and also my friends at different schools, the paper was awful! looking back through it, there was a lot of data analysis which I personally find very tricky and also a huge amount of the questions were "suggest" ones where you have to use your own knowledge to apply to something you don't know.

to sum up... yes it was a bitch! haha

Someone Agrees, also A level Biology makes you feel stupid. even if you were clever in maths
Reply 217
Original post by idiotone
YOu know when they ask us about immune system..what do we put first..? B cells or T cells...?

They're linked because T cells are needed to activate B cells so that they can produce antibodies. But the T cells need to be activated first to divide into T memory cells and active T cells in order to activate the B cells.
Reply 218
Original post by LibbyU
Is anyone else absolutely ****ting themselves for this exam?!
I've revised everything for topic 5/6, I know the core practicals and I've completed and marked all the past papers available (3 I think) and I still feel like I know nothing and feel hugely unprepared! the January exam has definitely knocked my confidence (I got a D) and just the fact that I know so much is relying on this exam to get into uni :frown: arghhh!! anyone else feeling the same?

also does anyone else hate all the ecology stuff? I find that I only really understand and am interested in the human biology stuff like the immune system, but all the crap about succession and global warming is just soooo boring!

what is everyone doing in terms of last minute revision?

Join the club, I believe this is due to my UNIT 4 jan result in March. It has knocked down my confidence, Sometimes Result comes arounds and it knocks you down, Just get back up when it knocks you down.
Reply 219
Original post by darkiee
Someone Agrees, also A level Biology makes you feel stupid. even if you were clever in maths

Completely agree with you. I get straight A's in all my other subjects but when it comes to biology im permanently stuck on a C (if I'm lucky!!) and the thing is I feel like I genuinely understand everything in the book but when it comes to exams the way the questions are written are so annoying! it takes ages to work out what they're actually asking, loads of them are maths questions and data interpretation (I don't do maths!!) and personally I think they don't give us enough time to complete the paper... If we were given extra time I know I could do better.
what grades have you been getting in bio?

It annoys me when maths questions come up or things related to chemistry, its not very fair on people that do neither of these a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending