F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Do we need to know southern blotting??
Original post by heartskippedabeat
a long ethics question on the lac operon? :eek:

No xenotransplantation/ golden rice or something:smile:
Original post by intellectual1
Anyone wish they'd taken Physics instead of Biology? This unit is a very time consuming one indeed...sleepless nights as a result of it...

Original post by susan23
ahahahahha I take both. :rolleyes:

I took both too :yep: .. I feel that Physics is slightly easier, but Biology is far more interesting content wise :holmes:
Reply 1503
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Why didn't I start revising months ago, honestly... :frown:

I fully agree. This module is so boring im having trouble motivating myself to do any work for it . Im just wasting time
Reply 1504
What do you guys think is going to come up????????

I hate the conservation parts on ecosystems

I HOPE Genetic engineering comes Up!!!!
Original post by susan23
ahahahahha I take both. :rolleyes:

you do? don't you find Physics to be much more straight forward? Biology is so time consuming....Chemistry and Maths at least makes sense with the concise precise mark schemes etc...but Biology can have 7 marks and 17 different marking points:eek:
Original post by science rules! :)
No xenotransplantation/ golden rice or something:smile:

Yeah I know they wouldn't really (hopefully!) ask that, but someone said they thought it would come up :redface: Arghh i hope it's not on golden rice :frown: Do we actually need to know the whole method, like the psy and crtl genes etc?
Original post by airdoc
Do we need to know southern blotting??

Just that it takes place at the end of electrophoresis so the DNA strands can be viewed. A nylon or nitrocellulose sheet is placed over the agarose gel, paper towels are placed over the top and blotted. After a fixed period of time the nitrocellulose sheet is removed and transferred to another sheet and analysed.
To view the DNA fragments you could;
Add a radioactive marker before the sample is run, and at the end place photographic film over the nitrocellulose sheet.
This identifies DNA fragments containing specific sequences. :smile:
Reply 1508
you do? don't you find Physics to be much more straight forward? Biology is so time consuming....Chemistry and Maths at least makes sense with the concise precise mark schemes etc...but Biology can have 7 marks and 17 different marking points:eek:

Physics over Biology anyday. Biology makes me go mental...theres way to much we need to know...my brain capacity can't handle it. Sometimes I just go in the exam not knowing like a couple of pages at all...and I guess I'm lucky cause those pages never come up hahaha...I do Chemistry, Biology and physics :smile: Overall Chemistry is my favourite!!!
Reply 1509
Original post by science rules! :)
Just that it takes place at the end of electrophoresis so the DNA strands can be viewed. A nylon or nitrocellulose sheet is placed over the agarose gel, paper towels are placed over the top and blotted. After a fixed period of time the nitrocellulose sheet is removed and transferred to another sheet and analysed.
To view the DNA fragments you could;
Add a radioactive marker before the sample is run, and at the end place photographic film over the nitrocellulose sheet.
This identifies DNA fragments containing specific sequences. :smile:

what page is this on in the textbook?
Original post by mazam
I fully agree. This module is so boring im having trouble motivating myself to do any work for it . Im just wasting time

It is interesting...but yes very difficult to motivate oneself...it was only Jan exams about 4 months ago...and July Aug Sept Oct Nov will fly so quick Dec xmas and then the Jan exams and Feb Mar with Easter April...May exams and June and the 2012 Olympics begin....time just flies so quick...I should be all done with this and the past papers by tomorrow morning 6am and then can finally sleep...still alot of C4 to do yet...one can only imagine how F325 will be as it was a very different kind of paper in Jan11 compared to Jun10 hmm

These are very short topics...which you can revise within 1hr or so each...or perhaps more if you've done no work at all year :P lol

Ecosystems
Populations & Sustainibility
Plant Responses
Animal Responses
Animal Behaviour
Cloning in Plants
Biotechnology
Cellular Control

Most of the marks are likely to be based on questions from the two huge parts of the specification
Meiosis and Variation is a huge topic...specially focusing on this
Genomes and Gene Technologies is another huge topic...focusing on this especially so as well...
(edited 12 years ago)
cba.
Reply 1512
Parasympathetic and sympathetic n.s?

does anyone know of any sites that do a decent job and showing the similarities and differences?
Reply 1513
got all old spec questions here with some revision notes:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=73ALBJ4C

help yourself to them.

This unit is pretty boring, how far is everyone on there revision? I have the fourth part left to do with the plant hormones its so bloody boring.
Original post by yesioo
Parasympathetic and sympathetic n.s?

does anyone know of any sites that do a decent job and showing the similarities and differences?

This helped me quite a bit, just remember it's not all relevant ...

http://www.ehs.net/2231/pdf/autonomic.pdf
Original post by atman7

help yourself to them.

This unit is pretty boring, how far is everyone on there revision? I have the fourth part left to do with the plant hormones its so bloody boring.

boring...its beyond boring! :biggrin: lol although much of it is interesting like the animal behaviour...read through the book twice...now summarising each spread...working backwards...with meiosis and genomes/gene technologies last as they're the topics which most of the marks will come from...look through the past 2 papers and there was'nt much at all in Jan11 of module 1...one can only pray and hope the grade boundaries are low :smile:

Amazing notes...and those papers are very useful! :smile: Could'nt have come at a better time...sure will make the difference between passing and failing F215 for alot of people! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by atman7

Original post by atman7

help yourself to them.

what are your notes on ? :smile: i need to do the diagrams again, and yes plant stuff as well. it is quite boring revising it coz there is sooo much to learn! doing my head in ha. and when i tried the jan 11/june 10 paper there was a lot of stuff that i was just like omg |: on !! !
Reply 1517
boring...its beyond boring! :biggrin: lol although much of it is interesting like the animal behaviour...read through the book twice...now summarising each spread...working backwards...with meiosis and genomes/gene technologies last as they're the topics which most of the marks will come from...look through the past 2 papers and there was'nt much at all in Jan11 of module 1...one can only pray and hope the grade boundaries are low :smile:

Amazing notes...and those papers are very useful! :smile: Could'nt have come at a better time...sure will make the difference between passing and failing F215 for alot of people! :smile:

glad you like the notes there pretty simplified down, mainly to the spec points on top of each page, the unit 4 ones are a bit crap thats what my college gave me to do so apologies there. The past questions are a great help.
I haven't glanced at the book once just been using the notes you should be okay if your using the book along with them. I'm hoping for a lot of ecosystem and biotech crap there not too difficult. The first unit ain't so bad I'm pretty convinced that the hardy-weinberg thing is coming up since its not been up yet. Want the exam outta the way now I'm sick of Biology.
if the grade boundaries are low, does that mean they wont be worth as much UMS marks for example, say usually an A is 80%, 80/100 raw marks is 120 UMS marks, but if the grade boundary for an A is 60%, this will only be worth 90 UMS marks :s-smilie: ??
Reply 1519
Original post by rebeccalouise_92
what are your notes on ? :smile: i need to do the diagrams again, and yes plant stuff as well. it is quite boring revising it coz there is sooo much to learn! doing my head in ha. and when i tried the jan 11/june 10 paper there was a lot of stuff that i was just like omg |: on !! !

basically each unit except the 4th one. Also includes every old spec question with mark scheme for each unit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending