The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
Nice work, have you done it yet? You'll have to be careful when you write about it to try and show dedication but avoid making it look like you're trying to brag or name drop.

fair point.

to be honest, i'm going to sell myself, but only be honest. If they pick me, that's because they agree

in my eyes, no-one else exists, i am applying to medical schools for my own merit, and nothing else tbh. if i don't get in, my reasons ect are not strong enough, if i do i do

i will not put it down to places/competition. only my own determination not being enough
Reply 3741
Original post by thatwasfast
i thought mine was huge

few people want to do medicine in mine, i'm probably the worst among them lol

hardly any of us, apart from this one girl(surprise surpise!) has gotten work experience.

the rest of us, are mainly guys and have gotten none, yet we applied and applied

=/ i don't have money, or experience of using trains lol.

Ah, well you're gonna start having to use trains otherwise you'll have a problem. Don't give up! Ring up GP's/hospitals, try to get some voluntary work if you haven't done so already.
Original post by sablarrr
Ah, well you're gonna start having to use trains otherwise you'll have a problem. Don't give up! Ring up GP's/hospitals, try to get some voluntary work if you haven't done so already.

you're right:smile:

i'll use trains for open days but will need a parent though:P

yes, i'm about to do a bit more of what i am doing, and then i'm going to ring up/phone/email more places

i've applied for two weeks at a hospital - they will get back to me in a few weeks or month, if they want to interview me...too competitive

going to apply to three gp's

also going to apply to a few nursing homes

=/ so about in a week , or max of two i want to atleast be SOMEWHERE!

I WANT to do my personal statement asap. but it's difficult when i know my ps will only be effective if 60% of it is on work experience, voluntary

i need to evidence what i write.

=/ plus i need to make it certain medicine is for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cz100
No it's in July. And I have no idea how I'm going to put it in my PS. We've handed in our first draft and from the little experience I've had it's already just under the 4000 limit. And WE is the biggest chunk.

First draft already? Oh god it's all coming too soon :eek:
Reply 3744

Not by choice, careers teacher demanded them all to be handed in by April Fool's Day and threatened not to mark any after the date.
Reply 3745
LoL @ april fools
Original post by cz100
Not by choice, careers teacher demanded them all to be handed in by April Fool's Day and threatened not to mark any after the date.

Wow, I think they want our PS draft in by July. I need to start thinking about that, but there's already so many things I need to be doing :s-smilie:. I need to get more organised.
Reply 3747
Wow, I think they want our PS draft in by July. I need to start thinking about that, but there's already so many things I need to be doing :s-smilie:. I need to get more organised.

In NI I think all schools finish at the end of June. Probably why then, cos by the time we get back from summer there's not much time left.
Original post by cz100

how much of it do you think will change due to using work experience/ect?

i think it's a good idea to do it early/get your thoughts organised
Anyone go to the Leicester Medical School Open day today? :smile:

=/ my problem is, how do i write a ps with no work experience, or RELEVANT voluntary?
Original post by spoinkytheduck

going to the next one

how did you find it/how have their admissions changed?

Do they still cap GCSE's at 3A*'s and pick the lowest UKCAT score?

Mm, it's only about 3 months 'till UCAS opens for us :s-smilie:

=D will do in july!

how was it? i'm deffo , if God wills applying there:smile:

do you know what their site says? "ELITE without being ELITIST"
=/ my problem is, how do i write a ps with no work experience, or RELEVANT voluntary?

Focus mainly on reasons to do medicine, planned work experience/volunteering and what you hope to learn from it, and also extra curriculars and other such things.
Original post by Kidneyjean
Mm, it's only about 3 months 'till UCAS opens for us :s-smilie:

you guys are scaring me lol,

in a good way...tsr gives me a lot

i'm going to start making drafts on my PS tbh, i can't properly do it, but i can make a structure, get some ideas, read some more ps statements
going to the next one

how did you find it/how have their admissions changed?

Do they still cap GCSE's at 3A*'s and pick the lowest UKCAT score?

Their admissions has changed quite a bit for 2012 entry..

They dont cap GCSE's at 3A*s (wasnt aware they did in the first place :tongue:)
They now take your total UKCAT of each section so you'll end up with score in the thousands for Leicster
And the interview will be different, they'll have loads of mini interviews about specific areas (e.g. ethics)... they described it a speed dating, if that helps you get the idea! :tongue:
Focus mainly on reasons to do medicine, planned work experience/volunteering and what you hope to learn from it, and also extra curriculars and other such things.

brilliant! i will write my ps, and instead of writing what i've learnt, i can write, what i expect to learn, and if these match, i will only tweak it a little, and gain proper experience to use in if i am lucky, a interview
Their admissions has changed quite a bit for 2012 entry..

They dont cap GCSE's at 3A*s (wasnt aware they did in the first place :tongue:)
They now take your total UKCAT of each section so you'll end up with score in the thousands for Leicster
And the interview will be different, they'll have loads of mini interviews about specific areas (e.g. ethics)... they described it a speed dating, if that helps you get the idea! :tongue:

OMG!

they've completed BLITZED their admissions procedure

i'll have to go there myself in july, if God wills

=O here is what i need to tell myself

"you've got hardly any ability, you're behind on your medical application, and all that you thought you knew has changed. Now. are you going to sit there? NO. you are going TO BLITZ ALL DAY AND NIGHT, and make sure THE ADMISSIONS REMEMBER! FOREVER! THEY DAY THEY HAD THE 2012 COHORT.

You could start by writing about everything except work experience :tongue: Like why you want to be a doctor, ECs, any extra scientific reading etc. And you could find parts of the volunteering that are relevant to medicine; anything requiring regular interaction with people could be considered relevant.

Latest

Trending

Trending